Mark this win down as a turning point...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mark this win down as a turning point...

the significance is huge.......an UNBELIEVABLE effort by the 22....and the coaching staff.....

Mark my words - this is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE.....

Few negatives.....many positives...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And for a change few (if any) passengers...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And for a change few (if any) passengers...
how did Gwilt go?

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Big Call Big Mart! :)

I wasn't particularly confident tonight. I hate playing Adelaide in Adelaide! I must say I agree that there were many positives. Well drilled unit.

Mid-field is slick and agressive. Targets up forward. Defence generally holding well. Great running pressure all over the ground. These boys look like they believe in themselves! :D

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
BigMart wrote:And for a change few (if any) passengers...
how did Gwilt go?
Looked flat footed. Did nothing until they put him back. Will be lucky to hold his spot next week.

Geary did ok as the game went on IMO.

U don't realize how much we missed Baker.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

What about Kingy and Gardi? Sorry to keep asking about individuals but I'm at work, haven't been able to follow it on the net, listen to it or watch it but am stoked with the win.

StNoodles
Club Player

Absolutely!!! Huge effort.

We just looked so well drilled. So much intensity and effort.

Great win!!!

Ice Wolf
Club Player

How to beat the rolling zone? endurance and man on man and a s*** load of tackling and pressure.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Even though I tipped against us, I was in a pubtab tonight and we were paying $10 for 25-42 win.

Lazy 50.

Go you good things.

:lol:

Huge turning point.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about it being a turning point, but a terrific win considering we had only won 4 times in the past 18 years at Footy Park against that mob.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

StNoodles wrote:Absolutely!!! Huge effort.

We just looked so well drilled. So much intensity and effort.

Great win!!!
Never let it be said that the palyers are not behind RL. It takes massive effort to to the hard things... according to Lethal.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt did more in close than you think, he was strong in the contest and didn't turn the ball over in close.

Much underrated I reckon.

Agree on Bakes, geez he's bloody good.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The good thing is tonight that we won well...despite never really clicking.

Reason being is that the saints work very hard all night...and work with purpose and stuck to their game plan very well.

This is the sign good team emerging...winning well even when your executon is off a bit.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That is the point - a win interstate against the grain = belief.....

last year I thought we were a good side.....but could not beat better.....

This year we are better........not that Adelaide are great, but at AAMI.....they are the equal of a VG side....

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:Gwilt did more in close than you think, he was strong in the contest and didn't turn the ball over in close.

I actually watched him closely because he's my fairytale-in-waiting player. Still reckon his 1st half was poor.

Then again, I'm not sure what the instructions were, but there are times when I wish he'd go the "don't argue" a bit more. Seemed to hold back.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

So can the guy coach?

You see...I think he can.....ofcourse the many "experts" just reckon we are sydney.....well guess again dimwits.

This side IS well drilled - I had us GAWN at 3qtr time and thought we were out on our feet ...and instead they went up a cog.

Make no mistake - the fwd line NOW looks like scoring (and Riewoldts not going yet...just wait) AND the defensive pressure is A1. Interesting to hear Matthews tonight - get the defensive side right and the attacking stuff often follows.........IMHO Lyon is a believer of this.

Its rd 2 but to win anytime away is hard - and the Crows did that against a so called top side over here last week...so they can play.

I will say we got some nice umpiring decisions.....BUT in saying that - we were in front.

“Yeah….nah””
Ice Wolf
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
maverick wrote:Gwilt did more in close than you think, he was strong in the contest and didn't turn the ball over in close.

I actually watched him closely because he's my fairytale-in-waiting player. Still reckon his 1st half was poor.

Then again, I'm not sure what the instructions were, but there are times when I wish he'd go the "don't argue" a bit more. Seemed to hold back.
He really did well when the game was in the balance in the 2nd half. Couple of errors in the 1st half but nothing that was really damaging to us, was put into trouble by a couple of bad handpasses from teammates.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

I do agree, his second half was definitely better, but I think he is a good half forward, he just needs to trust his ability, he does look a little more comfortable though, looks like he is enjoying being out there...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about the 'I told you so post' Teflon.....are you now the expert that you announced a ten year assistant, who came through a rigorous interview can coach footy.....FFS - great insight

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought Gwilt started to use his frame in close tongight....and Im not a fan...but I reckon hes done enough for the moment....his decision making was ok also...(previous big gap for me)

“Yeah….nah””
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Gwilty actually has good hands, and a lovely kick as well. He's a bit slow in making a decision, but does commit to it once made. A better second half, and some inportant touches in close. Should hold his spot.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Back to the OP, certainly a win that will gain us a little deserved respect one would think

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Not sure about it being a turning point, but a terrific win considering we had only won 4 times in the past 18 years at Footy Park against that mob.
Agreed, we've asll been hurt too many times to make statement such as these, but let's all enjoy a great win, and hopefully another next week.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
4ever_saint
Club Player

Agreed. This game was incredibly encouraging and shows how much we have improved from last year.

Though the game itself derived many positives, the ones I saw to be more obvious were Dal Santo's 35 posessions and Koschitzke's 4 goals. These two have taken the criticism they received last year and are turning it into powerful onfield performances.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Was a good win. Great to get some points on the road for a change.

Some good positives to keep building on.

A long way to go though. Should have had it dusted mid way through the third.

Pressure was good. Again, some key individuals impressed.

Not a turning point, but I believe it was a good indicator that we are heading in the right direction.

We will improve this year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....