Great Start but remember

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Great Start but remember

We have a great start to the season, we are on top with a whopping percentage and everything looks great.
However we need to remember it is only round 5 and a lot can happen over the next 17 weeks.
We need to remember in 04 we won 10 in a row and didn't finish top 2 and did not make the Grand Final.
We need to remember we finished top in 97 and lost the Grand Final.
And we especially need to remember there is Geelong who looked very scary on Sunday.
We have earned equal 2nd favourite for the flag for now, a win against the Bulldogs will further entrench that.
Like everyone here, I want this to be our year so bad, but I'm not talking premierships yet, all I'm thinking about is hoping we can beat the Bulldogs Sunday.
It is an old cliche, but it is true, one week at a time.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Couldn't have summed it up better myself. But I think you'll find most fellow Sainter's feel the same, as they have witnessed too many seasons that ended in "what should have" or "what could have been". I think the 2005 pre-lim was just as, if not even more bruising than the 04, because we actually scored a home pre-lim and still couldn't gain a grand final birth. Too many heart aches. That is why I think many are adopting the "one week at a time" mentality, as they should!

But still take a few minutes to enjoy the moment, because it feels good doesn't it! :D

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yep a lot of love going around here at the moment however by the beard of Zeus it will surely happen that we will drop a couple games on the way.

So if we do so happen to drop a couple of games I really hope this forum can suck it up and not go completely ape shite as I really do think the playing group has turned the corner and have the ability to bounce back convincingly the following week and be that premiership side

With footy these days if you have a slight lapse in concentration against any team it could cost you dearly and we must remember that the playing group is not super human no matter how much we want them to be or think they are

No side has ever gone through a total season undefeated - who knows we might be the first however it is extremely unlikely

So be prepared to be disappointed at some stage during the H&A season

We should have had enough practice at it by now

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Yep a lot of love going around here at the moment however by the beard of Zeus it will surely happen that we will drop a couple games on the way.

So if we do so happen to drop a couple of games I really hope this forum can suck it up and not go completely ape shite as I really do think the playing group has turned the corner and have the ability to bounce back convincingly the following week and be that premiership side

With footy these days if you have a slight lapse in concentration against any team it could cost you dearly and we must remember that the playing group is not super human no matter how much we want them to be or think they are

No side has ever gone through a total season undefeated - who knows we might be the first however it is extremely unlikely

So be prepared to be disappointed at some stage during the H&A season

We should have had enough practice at it by now
Wonderfully said and agree 100%...I can see the post now when we DO drop that game..

* "Weve been worked out"

* "Unlikely to make Top 4 on that performance"

* "RL is the most reactive coach Ive ever seen*

* " the playing group obvious got ahead of themselves and sarted beliveing their own publicity"

* "we'll never win a flag with {insert names of 4 players who had one bad game} in the side'

etc etc etc etc 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Long season is long.

And there is a long way to go.

A few injuries at the wrong time and it can all go awry.

We all know this and have seen this before.

Seriously, the one week at a time old chestnut is right on the money.

I cant see us losing a game at the moment, but that can change in a

heartbeat with this game.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Exactly - once again, let's all take a breath. Enjoy the position we are in and not get cocky. I have purposely been very quiet around my opposition supporter friends.

Long way to go.

BTW - being quite sh!ts them even more :P

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with the sentiments of the OP but I remember Stan Alves saying you've got to enjoy the ride. There's no point saying we can enjoy it when we win the flag. If you wait until then and something goes wrong on the day you've missed all of the experiences along the way.
Enjoy every game and go to work on Monday with a smile on your face as we pump each victim :D

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

After the weekend I think we surely look like we have the capabilities to finish top 2: albeit that I still wouldn't back us to get within 5 goals of the Cats in their current form.

I do note the cautionary tale of 2004.

After 10 rounds in 2004 we had beaten both grand finalists from 2003, had thrashed the Cats (who ended up in a PF that year), had won a game at AAMI and one at Subi, and had won 5 other games besides. Our percentage after ten rounds was close to 170%.

However, despite this amazing start, we didn't finish in the top 2, which ultimately cost us.

We are vulnerable in a number of areas. We really are still very dependent on Riewoldt up forward. We need Max back.

And I remain a bit worried about Ross's tendency to favour the high output players over the skilled (with the exception of Schneider, whose output remains low, but who seems to be a permanent fixture).

I was rather disturbed at the fact that Miles went to Adelaide as the 23rd player on Friday: this to me is a sign that Lyon is getting a bit carried away with his approach. Some commentators praised Eddy's performance on Friday, but I thought he was rather poor: I spotted several soft turnovers and a couple of missed tackles. We can't carry that sort of performer against a Geelong or a Hawthorn.

This weekend will be a big test for Lyon's selection policy IMO. I support McEvoy coming in for King but I will be peeved if (assuming that Kosi will need at least another week) Raph is left out in favour of Eddy or perhaps even Miles.

Lyon is doing a great job, but he doesn't want to get ahead of himself. Class and skill does count for something. Port and Freo weren't good enough to punish us for our clangers, but the Bulldogs and Collingwood are a different matter.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
carnasaints55
Club Player

frankly, it is the playing groups job to remember that. it is our job to get behind the playing group with full support. we can go bananas over every win and hope for the elusive premiership. its the playing groups job to keep their feet on the ground. for me? im on cloud 9.

roo=god
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The time to get negative is when we are losing, not when we are on a winning streak.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'll be curious to see who gets picked this round. There is some hope that both Kosi and King will be back - I would settle for either. But I guess the team's depth will be tested sooner or later.

As far as the Doggies and Collingwood go - the Dogs have a great strength in their run and ball movement and two glaring weaknesses in their frequent turnovers and difficulty getting inside 50. Collingwood didn't look very hard against Essendon and if they can't stick to their game plan they'll be easy meat. But you never know which Collingwood is going to come out to play.

I'm not worried about reliance on Riewoldt. He's a great player who naturally dominates when he's in form. But this year I think the rest of the group has really stood up in looking for, and providing, other avenues to goal.

The part of our game that worries me is the skill errors. I'm not sure how much you can do about that. The teamwork is great, commitment to the game plan is paying off, and the players are reaching up to their potential. Are they good enough? That's for them to prove, and us to cheer them on.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'll be curious to see who gets picked this round. There is some hope that both Kosi and King will be back - I would settle for either. But I guess the team's depth will be tested sooner or later.

As far as the Doggies and Collingwood go - the Dogs have a great strength in their run and ball movement and two glaring weaknesses in their frequent turnovers and difficulty getting inside 50. Collingwood didn't look very hard against Essendon and if they can't stick to their game plan they'll be easy meat. But you never know which Collingwood is going to come out to play.

I'm not worried about reliance on Riewoldt. He's a great player who naturally dominates when he's in form. But this year I think the rest of the group has really stood up in looking for, and providing, other avenues to goal.

The part of our game that worries me is the skill errors. I'm not sure how much you can do about that. The teamwork is great, commitment to the game plan is paying off, and the players are reaching up to their potential. Are they good enough? That's for them to prove, and us to cheer them on.

spert
Saintsational Legend

This is a different looking Saints outfit than 97 or 04.. the body language is different and I reckon it's much more balanced and stronger, just like the 66 team -good defence, good midfield, good forwards. Like Geelong in 2007, if you have a balanced team with all players doing their bit, you can win a flag.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Something else to think about.

In round 5, 2007, West Coast were on top of the ladder with 5 wins. Geelong were 10th with 2 and 3.

A long way to go yet.

hotdish
Club Player

In 2004 we had a good team, and did have depth up forward. However I believe this team is more talented, has more depth and is more stable (ie we don't have Gehrig going off, and our kids are now men). Our backline depth is a real strength:

Max
Dawson
S Fisher
Maguire
Gilbert
Raph
Farren Ray
Dempster

We never had that in 04! Also our mids are more dynamic than the 04 midfield (ie upgrade pecket, Thompson, Powell) with more speed.

The lid is off!

Now we just have to finish top 2!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Team are playing with a finals type intensity every week - warms the heart - but i do wonder whether we can keep it up all season - tackling wears the body down - it's partly why rugby league forwards use the first few plays to charge at their opponents - to tire them and hurt them.
Can we also step up further come finals?

If Lyon manages the group well through the season then perhaps we can keep playing with the same intensity - let's hope - and in the meantime let's enjoy it. If we do go through a down phase let's hope it'll pan out a few weeks before the finals and doesn't cost us a top 2 spot like 2004.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Great Start but remember

3rd generation saint wrote:We have a great start to the season, we are on top with a whopping percentage and everything looks great.
However we need to remember it is only round 5 and a lot can happen over the next 17 weeks.
We need to remember in 04 we won 10 in a row and didn't finish top 2 and did not make the Grand Final.
And we especially need to remember there is Geelong who looked very scary on Sunday.
We have earned equal 2nd favourite for the flag for now, a win against the Bulldogs will further entrench that.
Like everyone here, I want this to be our year so bad, but I'm not talking premierships yet, all I'm thinking about is hoping we can beat the Bulldogs Sunday.
All very true.

But if you can't get excited when your team is 5-0 and has a percentage over 200 when can you get excited??

Megamaguire
Club Player

A two game buffer is there to defend

I heard geewrong and saint kilda are already 2 games ahead of whoever is in 3rd. spot. That in itself is added motivation - if any is needed that is.
Making sure none of us get too unfocused regarding what the club should be doing in september while appreciating the beautiful presentation of well played footy every week is the way to go.
I'm confident that this team has further improvement in it and hope either or both of the Clarkes can get in on the buzz.

Like us geelong have to keep winning too and is it carlton in 3rd. spot. Grinding out wins at this stage just keeps putting the pressure on carlton and the like to try and catch the two teams up the top.

Last season it seemed to me that the hawthorn win buffer allowed them the time to focus on reaching the GF and delivering the game needed to upset geewrong.

Go RAPH & 'X'-man!
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We're a decent chance of going 3 games clear (with the cats) of all bar port or crows after this round - hawks beat carlton, we beat the dogs, essendon lose to lions away!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Yes but I suppose it's the same for every side. Geelong can say a similar thing with themselves last year and others the years before but for me there is a great feeling about where we are to be very hopeful and excited.

I've always said going back as far as I can remember since the 70's our biggest problem was never out on the ground and our failure was the unprofessionalism of the club. I don't know what goes on now behind closed doors but I can honestly say for me for the first time ever the club is giving a very professional well run Image.

As I said I can only go on everything I see and the whole attitude of the players, coaches and admin seem to be all taking the same direction and working together.

We've had better lists over the years but were always going to find it tough to win a flag because of the way we were functioning as a club.

Whether we win it this year or not for the first time I feel truly confident the St Kilda football club are heading in the right direction and have what it takes and are finally closing in on a long awaited premiership.

I hope so anyway I was 2 years old in 1966 so for me my life long dream and suffering has been for a St Kilda flag and the fear of never seeing one does haunt me a bit.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:We have a great start to the season, we are on top with a whopping percentage and everything looks great.
All very true.

But if you can't get excited when your team is 5-0 and has a percentage over 200 when can you get excited??
Absolutely agree, I am excited and enjoying every week. Go Saints 8-)

Qld Saints Supporter Group
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I said 1 week at a time, I am feeling great when I drive past those flags on the Westgate and see ours in the number 1 position.

But, no one talk premiership etc etc yet, if we are in top 2 spot after round 22, then we can start to dream it, then if we actually make the big dance we can talk it.

It takes a hell of a lot to go right to win a flag and only one thing to go wrong to miss out.

Just look at Geelong last year, the vast majority here would have thought they would have won the Grand Final, but things went wrong and Hawthorn stole one.

Mind you, it would be interesting what would have happened if the new delibrately putting the ball through for a point rule was around in 2008.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:As I said 1 week at a time, I am feeling great when I drive past those flags on the Westgate and see ours in the number 1 position.

But, no one talk premiership etc etc yet, if we are in top 2 spot after round 22, then we can start to dream it, then if we actually make the big dance we can talk it.

It takes a hell of a lot to go right to win a flag and only one thing to go wrong to miss out.

Just look at Geelong last year, the vast majority here would have thought they would have won the Grand Final, but things went wrong and Hawthorn stole one.

Mind you, it would be interesting what would have happened if the new delibrately putting the ball through for a point rule was around in 2008.
Fair enough not to talk about a premiership, but surely you will still allow me to dream about one :wink:

boneless23
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote:
All very true.

On Grand Final night mate when we are all having a beer together in the Moorabbin centre square!!!

Until then I am keeping a lid on it.

Shaggy
Club Player

The lid should be off for everyone. IMO this is the best Saints side I have seen. But we still have to beat one of the all time best sides to win the flag :evil: Geelong have only lost 3 games in the last 2 years :shock: .

I doubt the Saints will be complacent so why not enjoy watching a gun side with high expectations :D .