Most Improved so far this Season...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Most Improved so far this Season...

Jeez, it's a tough one...

IMO, there are three main candidates: Gilbert, Geary & CJ, and I reckon that Mini, Dal and Gwilt have also improved to a lesser extent. Who is the most improved out of the lot? Discuss with reasoning!

The Saints are coming!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Most Improved so far this Season...

i'd go for gilbert, but the others you mentioned are all big improvers, too.

he's gone from being a likely type to one of the form defenders in the competition.

he's been so good that he's likely to have polled 6 or 7 brownlow votes already with a couple of real standout performances.

i think that pre-season stint in the forward line has given him great confidence to back his judgement.

was very impressed with geary last week and his future looks bright.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gotta be CJ

Has gone from player who's only benefit to the team was to try really really hard and do nothing, to premium stopper that hurts opposition going the other way

the transformation has been incredible

I really didn't think he had it in him

Batnoe

It cant be Dal, we all knew his capabilities- he is now back in form- not most improved

It has to be a player that you didnt expect too much of and is now a definite top liner

Geary and Jones are playing great

Gilbert has had his best season but i think we all knew he could be that type of player

so i guess we can have 2 answers- most improved (shocked you the most) and most improved to their ability

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CJ ..

Then Geary.

Gilbert is kind of back (though better) where he was two seasons ago before having a quieter year last year...but was good in the finals.

However the best thing about this year is that virtually everyone is better...except for those that were already superb last year..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
marksnsparks
Club Player

Most improved....St Kilda!

Can't split them, amazing what team-before-self ethic and a handful of players in the Magoos breathing down your neck for your spot in the team will do for you!

gosaints
Club Player

I'd nearly have to throw Micky Gardiner into the conversation. What he has added to our team structure can't be measured by stats.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's Gardiner for mine as well. He looks almost as good as he did 7 or 8 years back. If he can keep it up for the year, we are going to continue to be a major threat.

CJ too has improved out of sight. He looks like a different player.

With Geary, I don't know if "improvement" is the word, I think it's more a case of him finally being having the confidence to do the things at AFL level that he has already shown he can do at VFL level.

Gilbert is greatly improved on his 2008 form, but I reckon his 2007 form was almost as good as what he is doing now, so he's in a similar category to Dal and Kosi.

Gwilt has also lifted: he used his body more effectively against Port than I have seen him do since the 2005 finals. Perhaps it's something about playing at AAMI.........?

Gram was great against Port. Best game I have seen him play since 2006.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon.

-Our good players are up and about.
-We're playing as a unit with great synergy.
-We're giving 110%.

That's what a coach's job is, and he's doing it very well this year.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Geary

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

How good is it though?

Everyone seems to be suggesting someone different, and they are all very valid. Gardiner, Geary, CJ, Gilbo (I still think it's better than what we saw in '07, and we are seeing it consistently), Gwilt. I'd also throw Mini and Ray into the mix, especially Ray!

Improvement from the "lesser lights" will inevitably amount to better performances! Look at Geelong's "B Grade players" - Wojcinski, Byrnes, Stokes, Varcoe. Even quality players such as Enright, Chapman and Corey tend to slip under the radar of opposition coaches. Consistent performances from their stars, as well as the lesser players, is what has enabled them to be so fearsome over the last couple of seasons!

I think we are on the right track. Lyon and his coaching staff (think Tudor was a great pick up) have really instilled a healthy and competitive mindset in the players. Work hard, and work for the team, and where possible, sacrifice your individual game for the greater good of the team. I think it seems to be working...

The Saints are coming!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

CJ. By a country mile. He probably removed himself from the bottom 6 last year, but he's become one of our important midfielders. His defensive presence has been fantastic (not quite in the Ling class, but he's beating some great opponents, and getting very tough jobs), he's released Baker back to defense to resume his old job of making the comps most dangerous small forwards disappear, and to boot, his use of the ball has improved out of sight.

Gilbert has improved - I love the way that any time there's a pack in defense, Gilbo comes busting out with the ball, but much like Raph (who should probably rate a mention even if he's off the ground), he probably hit form at the end of '08 and it's continued (with a single blip in the PF).

Geary could change my mind by end of year, he's improving game by game, but I'm hesitant to get ahead of myself with so few games on the board.

Kudos also to Raph who has shed his SS whipping boy status.

To Gwilt who may just be the 21st guy picked right now, but looks at home regardless, and is making it very tough for X, Goose, Armitage and now Raph to claim their spots.

To Lyon as well. The game is not played in a vacuum, a popular as the suggestion he's known all along is, IMO it's pretty clear he's learned a lot in 2 years, and that he's part of the team, not just it's conductor as may have been the case in years past.

To Michael Gardiner for turning back the clock. To Stephen King in support, it's such a pleasant change to watch our strong ruck division.

Also Leigh Montagna, who's shifted his game to a gear I didn't think he had. To those touting Dal for Brownlow, he'll have stiff competition for Saints B&F.

Farren Ray. Looks nothing like the guy who picked up so few contested touches for the dogs in '08. He looks like a guy discovering that he's got a lot of talent.

Zac Dawson. Getting better every game. Thought he'd actually managed to come into the season over-rated. I was wrong.

Justin Koschitzke. Before going down (again) with injury, he was a force. If he can bring that back to the ground post-injury, then maybe, just maybe...

Nick Dal Santo - Career best form.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

So many guys that it's almost unfair to choose.

CJ and Gilbert are probably my top two.

Perhaps CJ, because I thought he was out of his depth at this level, whereas Gilbert I thought had talent but was struggling to utilise it.

But frankly, it could be Geary, McQualter, Gardiner or Gwilt...all have improved a great deal.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

it is interesting to see how opinions on this subject have changed in the two weeks since this topic was discussed last

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

it has to be Gilbert

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
rexy
SS Life Member

Munga wrote:Geary
Spot on, CJ has improved aspects of his game, other parts were already good. Geary has improved across the board IMO.

Maybe this year?
boneless23
Club Player

I think McQualter is one of the key instigators of the immense pressure that we have been able to apply over the last few weeks. I have watched the Port game a number of times since and noticed that almost everytime Port were squeezed as they were coming out of their backline, Mini was the one pushing hard to each contest and shuttting down the ball carrier.

rexy
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:I think McQualter is one of the key instigators of the immense pressure that we have been able to apply over the last few weeks. I have watched the Port game a number of times since and noticed that almost everytime Port were squeezed as they were coming out of their backline, Mini was the one pushing hard to each contest and shuttting down the ball carrier.
Spot on boneless, this is not new to minis game either. Hard running has always been a highlight, to many times in the past he has not been rewarded for his hard running particularly into space when we have the ball. Is becoming very important and starting to show why he was drafted so early.

Maybe this year?
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

I find it strange that people think Gilbert has just appeared from nowhere...
Whilst yes, he has continued to improve- but before injury, he definately showed lots of good form.
Short memories?

Maybe it's the same people who are ready to write off maxxy?

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Mooksy
Club Player

Definitely Geary

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Munga wrote:Geary
Spot on, CJ has improved aspects of his game, other parts were already good. Geary has improved across the board IMO.
Agreed on this one. Has really impressed me since half time of the Adelaide game, round 2.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Would have to be Kosi.

He has actually been contributing this year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Saintsational most definitely!!! :twisted:

Has improved out of sight since the pre-season and there is great chance that the old girl can continue to get better

As long as we keep winning of course :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!