CJ Does It Again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CJ Does It Again

I rate Brent Stanton.

He came into last night's game off a 36 possession, 14 mark, 1 goal game; and averaging per game for the year:

27.4 disposals
15.4 kicks
12.0 handballs
7.7 marks
2.9 tackles
4.3 inside 50s
1.0 goals
121.7 supercoach points

Looks like a pretty great season! Last night he had:

13 disposals
7 kicks
6 handballs
2 marks
5 tackles
2 inside 50s
0.0 goals
62 supercoach points

Less than half of basically all his season averages, and approximately zero influence on the game. Interesting to see that the only stat that was remotely good was his season high for tackles - chasing Jones around! Jones himself had:

22 disposals
12 kicks
10 handballs
3 marks
4 tackles
5 inside 50s

So not only did he completely shut Stanton down, but was extremely productive himself. He may have made some minor mistakes with kicking, as he often does, but so did many players including Goddard and Dal Santo.

Another really impressive performance, in my opinion.

yipper
SS Life Member

Is Clint Jones the number 1 tagger / shut down player in the AFL at present?? Has the balance right - locks the guns down whilst racking up possies himself!! What an improved player he is.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Is Clint Jones the number 1 tagger / shut down player in the AFL at present?? .
This year yes.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for putting CJs game into perspective becuase after reading that twat Mark Stevens Article from the Herald Sun I would have thought he had a shocker.

Well done CJ. You are one of the reasons we are travelling well this year.

super dooper
Club Player

yipper wrote:Is Clint Jones the number 1 tagger / shut down player in the AFL at present?? Has the balance right - locks the guns down whilst racking up possies himself!! What an improved player he is.
While yes he has improved remarkably, to say he is the best stopper in the league is a bit extreme imo.

If i had the choice of Kornes, Sewell, Mitchell etc over clinton, i know who i'd be choosing...

But keep up the good work, every week he players HIS ROLE its contributes to a win, simple as that.

dascman
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Thanks for putting CJs game into perspective becuase after reading that twat Mark Stevens Article from the Herald Sun I would have thought he had a shocker.

His kicking was very, very ordinary. I think that's what Stevo was referring to, and I'm probably in agreement.

Can't fault his shutdown job, but while his kicking so far this season has been (on the whole) much improved, yesterday it was very poor.

yipper
SS Life Member

super dooper wrote:
yipper wrote:Is Clint Jones the number 1 tagger / shut down player in the AFL at present?? Has the balance right - locks the guns down whilst racking up possies himself!! What an improved player he is.
While yes he has improved remarkably, to say he is the best stopper in the league is a bit extreme imo.

If i had the choice of Kornes, Sewell, Mitchell etc over clinton, i know who i'd be choosing...

But keep up the good work, every week he players HIS ROLE its contributes to a win, simple as that.
I am talking about the here and now, not reputations. His list of scalps over the first 8 weeks is a who's who of midfield stars. None of the other "higher profile" taggers can boast 8 consecutive scalps for the year. Just a few scalps thus far: Kerr, Cooney, Swan, McLeod, Stanton, Haselby. Couple of others there to. He hasn't lowered his colours at all. Reckon he is more than holding his own in the top taggers club.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dascman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Thanks for putting CJs game into perspective becuase after reading that twat Mark Stevens Article from the Herald Sun I would have thought he had a shocker.

His kicking was very, very ordinary. I think that's what Stevo was referring to, and I'm probably in agreement.

Can't fault his shutdown job, but while his kicking so far this season has been (on the whole) much improved, yesterday it was very poor.
I think what Stevo was referring to was any negative he could write about to support his whole anti 'It Bleeds' St Kilda story. What a farking twat lunatic story. He must have been sipping on sherbets out the back when he was writing that article. I think the stats prove for themselves that there were a lot more positives about CJs game yet that d1ckhead had to point out some bad kicks. I mean F*** me the Tigers got within 20 points of Geelong earlier this year yet do we hear the same bulls***.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: CJ Does It Again

bergholt wrote:I rate Brent Stanton.

He came into last night's game off a 36 possession, 14 mark, 1 goal game; and averaging per game for the year:

27.4 disposals
15.4 kicks
12.0 handballs
7.7 marks
2.9 tackles
4.3 inside 50s
1.0 goals
121.7 supercoach points

Looks like a pretty great season! Last night he had:

13 disposals
7 kicks
6 handballs
2 marks
5 tackles
2 inside 50s
0.0 goals
62 supercoach points

Less than half of basically all his season averages, and approximately zero influence on the game. Interesting to see that the only stat that was remotely good was his season high for tackles - chasing Jones around! Jones himself had:

22 disposals
12 kicks
10 handballs
3 marks
4 tackles
5 inside 50s

So not only did he completely shut Stanton down, but was extremely productive himself. He may have made some minor mistakes with kicking, as he often does, but so did many players including Goddard and Dal Santo.

Another really impressive performance, in my opinion.
well said. he halved stanton's effectiveness and, as you pointed out, was far from the only offender when it came to spraying a few kicks.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Saw Clint in the distance this morning at Linton Street and he was walking with a hefty limp. Hope it's only a corky or two.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

That's exactly the same for me. I read the same article this morning and now looking at those comparisons he had a great game apart from some poor disposals but as we all know he wasn't the Lone Ranger.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No still a few ahead because of CJ disposal. Cornes and Kirk for starters but out of the more recent players he is up there.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Bot yet but let me tell you if he keep improving at the rate he has been, adn taking the scalps he has been - he will be in the top 3 or 4.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Agree, thought he was one of our best players, again :)

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Loyal
Club Player

looks like banger in stride.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Just a great person to speak to....

A relatively shy person with perfect manners

At the recent luncheon he came up to our table (because my wife just loves the way he plays and the Club went out of their way to accommodate knowing it was a Mothers Day present to my wife)

He is just a great person to talk to, I asked him if he knew about just how many goal assists he has racked up and he said that he has know idea and that was a good question and would be interested to find out.

I gather he is enjoying his role as a tagger and loves to watch footage of the person he is being assigned to for each match he mentioned that he gets footage of that person each week and works on that.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Im a fan, he seems a very shy person as the OP state, had to feel sorry for him, when he thought he won BOG in the WAFL grand final a few years back

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
iremember66
Club Player

dascman wrote:

I'd have to disagree - as I posted elsewhere - CJ made two beautiful passes to Kosi - directly resulting in goals. 1 in the 1st and the 2nd in the 3rd 1/4. Those two kicks were perfect, and I wasn't aware of any particular shockers...

I've always felt there a couple of players make your heart jump when the ball goes near them (not specific players - just over the years the ones that you're not 100% sure of). For mine CJ is not one of them. I get the feeling CJ is always going to give a contest and these days wins more often than not.

Those passes to Kosi were 1st class - if you get the chance - watch them again - the first one was our 6th goal in the 1st 1/4, can't remember when the other occured - but in the 3rd 1/4...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Im a fan, he seems a very shy person as the OP state, had to feel sorry for him, when he thought he won BOG in the WAFL grand final a few years back
I spoke to him about that at the luncheon and he that that he just had an average game..

He told me that the announcer mentioned his number, but that was the amount of votes the winner received...

I think he mentioned 7 and seeing that was his number he thought he won the medal, but it was 7 votes to the winner and not his number...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!