Scared to make a change?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

send out the runner
Club Player

I think all players have done there job at one time or another during the 9 weeks. Continuity, continuity, continuity. is the key for another player(s)to cover for a player(s) that are a tad off their game.

It is more important to know your team mates game inside and out, knowing when they are not at the optimum output, and knowing when to cover. This can only be achieved by the constant of the same 22 on the park as long as possible baring in mind forced changes.

This also assist on the track when 22 are playing & training together. The players waiting their turn start to think and work to the beat of the same drum. So when elevated they come in well drilled with the system, style & game plans.

See Geelong when does a player come into the side for geelong look like they have no idea. They slot in and know what, where, when and how....."TO DO"

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am not so confident that Dawson is ready yet. He has been supported by probably the best defence in the competition, but to me he seems painfully slow at times. He is not good enough to keep Max out, that is for sure.

send out the runner
Club Player

I think Dawson looks and plays very similar to the old warrioir himself. After watching the replay of last weeks game Dawson produced some taps to advantage (through his legs whilst on the ground) and a couple of bumps in a 50 /50 that resulted in the ball being in hand by a saints player

Yes seems bit slow, but boy has he some controlled agression and a bit of attitude (tackle on the wind in the last) gave him what for as well.

The only time he lowered his colours was when he flew for the mark over Brown , all be it without the ball in sight.

Has been fan bloody tastic

rexy
SS Life Member

I think that if Max Goose and Gram force there way back into the side, follow the team work ethic and game plan and play at close to their best consistantly then they are easily best 22 players at the StKFC. If they get back in, when they get back in, how they get back in and why they get back in is completely up to the selection comittee. I just hope that we are not keeping the side unchanged purely because we are winning, winning sides can be improved.

Maybe this year?
send out the runner
Club Player

Rexy, in part, I do agree with you, although the selection process probably has fundimental criterias not privy to us

rexy
SS Life Member

send out the runner wrote:Rexy, in part, I do agree with you, although the selection process probably has fundimental criterias not privy to us
Exactly, thats why its not up to us. :lol:

Maybe this year?
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scared to make a change?

Spinner wrote:Firstly I am a pro RL fan, but I am able to think for myself and thus don't agree with every direction the club takes. This is probably my only issue for what has been a fantastic decision.

How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Does he have the guts to make the big decision and say to Zac, great effort but as always Hudghton is our number one defender.

The same goes for Gram and Maguire, wich should definitely be in the team, especially with the likes of Gwilt, McQualter and Blake running around. Will he be able to make the big decision and say to these guys, great efforts, we just need to make room for these guys.

It seems that Ross has developed a culture in which you put in effort and you get rewarded - but surely it is ludicrous keeping quality players in the reserves. Has he developed a scenario that he no longer controls? Will the changes happen? Or will he wait for the easy way out?
I really don't understand this post.

During a recent Club luncheon RL actually stated that he is more than happy not to make any changes for the rest of the season, and I don't really have an issue with that.

What he was really saying that he hopes we get no injuries and the current 22's form remains solid.

I am surprised that you are indicating that RL is SOFT!

Just what is wrong with Blake in the side, he has performed well in every match except his last.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Milton66
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:Firstly I am a pro RL fan, but I am able to think for myself and thus don't agree with every direction the club takes. This is probably my only issue for what has been a fantastic decision.

How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Does he have the guts to make the big decision and say to Zac, great effort but as always Hudghton is our number one defender.

The same goes for Gram and Maguire, wich should definitely be in the team, especially with the likes of Gwilt, McQualter and Blake running around. Will he be able to make the big decision and say to these guys, great efforts, we just need to make room for these guys.

It seems that Ross has developed a culture in which you put in effort and you get rewarded - but surely it is ludicrous keeping quality players in the reserves. Has he developed a scenario that he no longer controls? Will the changes happen? Or will he wait for the easy way out?

MAybe the so called seniors don't deserve a call up yet?

Do you honestly think he'd keep them at Sandy just to make himself look good?

This is a man's game and of a player gets dropped because someone else is better to replace them, then they'll no what they have to do to improve.

What a great day it is for this club when almost everyone has to earn their spot.

I honestly doubt he'll wait for the easy way out. Silly comment IMO.

Lyon is there to win a flag, not appease certain player's egos.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that spinner states this...
Firstly Magic, its called a discussion forum. You'll notice that question marks are used quite frequently throughout my post.

Secondly the only thing I post as fact is that Gram, Maguire and Hudghton are senior players....Dunno where I got that from, maybe from their combined games tally of over 400, maybe it was watching them play, maybe its their talent.....

Thirdly, I am still interested in your discussion on some of my points and question. Remember, discussion forum.
and has never bothered to answer his next post....

Also spinner was logged on for at least 15 minutes and never responded to my post...

The point is that you have indicated that RL is scared and possibly SOFT

for not making any changes to an unbeaten side (apart from injuries and discipline)

Don't you think the discipline handed out to Gram may indicate that RL is not SOFT?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Spinner wrote: How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Your very premise for the OP as highlighted above shows that you clearly believe you understand what RL and his assistants think.

How do you know what he thinks?

Maybe there are other reasons why the selections have been what they have?

How do you know what he has spoken to the players about and told them?

You assume about what is going on and then post it as if it is a fact?
Firstly Magic, its called a discussion forum. You'll notice that question marks are used quite frequently throughout my post.

Secondly the only thing I post as fact is that Gram, Maguire and Hudghton are senior players....Dunno where I got that from, maybe from their combined games tally of over 400, maybe it was watching them play, maybe its their talent.....

Thirdly, I am still interested in your discussion on some of my points and question. Remember, discussion forum.
Biggest threat to a good club is players getting a game on what theyve done, all players start equal you earn your spot and its those out of the team that have to win it back. The biggest improvment in our team has come from our perceived lesser players fighting and hanging on to their spots like a dog with a bone. Its up to Max and Co to do somthing so wonderful that they cant be left out. Until then there up against every other player in the twos. No give me games anymore.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintly_safes
Club Player

When we are winning it is hard to critise but i think the bubble is close to bursting & when it does unless its handled correctly the sh-- might hit the fan.The guys have done so well to get to where they are & to keep it up for near on 10 weeks is outstanding . You can see other teams are primed to expose any weaknesses that might give them an advantage & Essendon & Brisbane did that pretty well.We still had the fire in the belly to dig deep & get us home but the boys are looking tired & you carnt blame them as it is extremely demanding game plan to carry out over a long period . Its inevidable that we will eventually lose a game but when we do & how we handle it will really show if we have what it takes to go all the way.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Max will be back very soon. Mark my words.
0/10

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Interesting that spinner states this...

and has never bothered to answer his next post....

Also spinner was logged on for at least 15 minutes and never responded to my post...

The point is that you have indicated that RL is scared and possibly SOFT

for not making any changes to an unbeaten side (apart from injuries and discipline)

Don't you think the discipline handed out to Gram may indicate that RL is not SOFT?

In regards to your first point, Magic once again offered nothing in response, willing only to debate whether what I posted was fact, or my opinion. A pathetic point to argue given that I had already responded to the same issue earlier. Nonetheless, I left it.

Secondly - Ill post and reply to your post when it suits me. Not when some dictator who waits by the 'users browsing this forum' application says say.

Now once again you refer to RL luncheons, once again trying to illustrate your 'insider' knowledge on the coaching staff. Heard of your own opinion? Now did RL say he was willing to make changes? Wow. He said that did he? Wonder why I was asking the question whether he will in fact make those changes.

Fid, you'll notice I ask the question many times. Will he make the big decision?, will he use the easy way out? Referring to what will be his future actions. You'll notice the question mark in the title. I am asking WILL he be soft because I believe those player need to be in the side within the coming weeks/now.

I am asking, when will we see these senior players in the team. And on what circumstances will they come in.

If you don't understand, or don't want to offer any practical opinions of your own - that's fine. Just don't whinge like a baby, and stake out the 'users' application when a reply dosn't instantly come your way.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:

This is a man's game and of a player gets dropped because someone else is better to replace them, then they'll no what they have to do to improve.

What a great day it is for this club when almost everyone has to earn their spot.

I guess one could argue that this is the linch-pin of my whole argument.

I believe they are senior players...With Maguire the only one having an extended stint in the reserves. I believe that he has pushed as hard as he can, what else does he need to do? Kick 10 goals a game?

And people saying Hudghton doesn't have to rely on his reputation is crap. He is a ten year player, and talented.

Won't find an easy way out? Then how will he do it? Drop players? Or wait for injury?

And what's with appeasing egos? Obviously you dont believe Gram, Maguire and Max deserve a spot.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: In regards to your first point, Magic once again offered nothing in response, willing only to debate whether what I posted was fact, or my opinion. A pathetic point to argue given that I had already responded to the same issue earlier. Nonetheless, I left it.

Secondly - Ill post and reply to your post when it suits me. Not when some dictator who waits by the 'users browsing this forum' application says say.

Now once again you refer to RL luncheons, once again trying to illustrate your 'insider' knowledge on the coaching staff. Heard of your own opinion? Now did RL say he was willing to make changes? Wow. He said that did he? Wonder why I was asking the question whether he will in fact make those changes.

Fid, you'll notice I ask the question many times. Will he make the big decision?, will he use the easy way out? Referring to what will be his future actions. You'll notice the question mark in the title. I am asking WILL he be soft because I believe those player need to be in the side within the coming weeks/now.

I am asking, when will we see these senior players in the team. And on what circumstances will they come in.

If you don't understand, or don't want to offer any practical opinions of your own - that's fine. Just don't whinge like a baby, and stake out the 'users' application when a reply dosn't instantly come your way.
I am NOT "trying to illustrate your 'insider' knowledge on the coaching staff...

What a pathetic come back to try to insult me...

I was just mentioning what the coach stated...

And to think you want a discussion on whether the coach maybe weak or soft...

Just have a good look at yourself...

You are a disgrace with your comments on RL and what I have mentioned about RL...

:roll:

Go flower yourself :idea:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Spinner wrote: In regards to your first point, Magic once again offered nothing in response, willing only to debate whether what I posted was fact, or my opinion. A pathetic point to argue given that I had already responded to the same issue earlier. Nonetheless, I left it.

I am NOT "trying to illustrate your 'insider' knowledge on the coaching staff...

What a pathetic come back to try to insult me...

I was just mentioning what the coach stated...

And to think you want a discussion on whether the coach maybe weak or soft...

Just have a good look at yourself...

You are a disgrace with your comments on RL and what I have mentioned about RL...

Go flower yourself :idea:

Intellectual post as always St.Fid. Willing to shoot off, attack and criticize in your usual fashion, but as always never willing to offer a reasonable and unique opinion. Even when specifically asked for one. I sometime think you fear offering an opinion that goes against the grain? That doesn't align to the norm?

Now, as nicely as possible - If you didn't have any thoughts on the topic I presented, I would suggest you don't reply in future.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Spinner wrote: How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves. Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?

Your very premise for the OP as highlighted above shows that you clearly believe you understand what RL and his assistants think.

How do you know what he thinks?

Maybe there are other reasons why the selections have been what they have?

How do you know what he has spoken to the players about and told them?

You assume about what is going on and then post it as if it is a fact?

Biggest threat to a good club is players getting a game on what theyve done, all players start equal you earn your spot and its those out of the team that have to win it back. The biggest improvment in our team has come from our perceived lesser players fighting and hanging on to their spots like a dog with a bone. Its up to Max and Co to do somthing so wonderful that they cant be left out. Until then there up against every other player in the twos. No give me games anymore.
See I believe Max has more than enough credits in the bank.

And furthermore, Dawson initial games were 'give me' games. How did he earn his spot? Luck?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

In fact spinner the next time I get to speak with members of the executive, managers, players and the coach, I wont bother mentioning anything they say on this site and just sit back and watch you make a complete fool of yourself.

That would be entertaining for me but just maybe some of the posters on here will miss out on any news...

Again, I will just sit back and laugh at your next great input into the "RL is scared and maybe soft campaign"

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:In fact spinner the next time I get to speak with members of the executive, managers, players and the coach, I wont bother mentioning anything they say on this site and just sit back and watch you make a complete fool of yourself.

That would be entertaining for me but just maybe some of the posters on here will miss out on any news...

Again, I will just sit back and laugh at your next great input into the "RL is scared and maybe soft campaign"

Refer to the post above. I don't (try not to) get into childish slagging matches.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hey will you wankers take your hands off it?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Spinner ....

are you that thick??

I did offer my thoughts...

and that is the same as RL

He does not believe in changing the side unless for injury or discipline and would prefer not to make any changes at all.

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU?

Talk about being thick...

RL does not believe in "credits in the bank" from last seasons as you put it

and I agree...

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU?

I thought my opinion was clear enough but obviously you miss it :roll:

Milton66
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

I guess one could argue that this is the linch-pin of my whole argument.

I believe they are senior players...With Maguire the only one having an extended stint in the reserves. I believe that he has pushed as hard as he can, what else does he need to do? Kick 10 goals a game?

And people saying Hudghton doesn't have to rely on his reputation is crap. He is a ten year player, and talented.

Won't find an easy way out? Then how will he do it? Drop players? Or wait for injury?

And what's with appeasing egos? Obviously you dont believe Gram, Maguire and Max deserve a spot.
Obviously u don't have a clue what I believe. The simple point is that RL makes the call on whom he believes will make up the best 22.

Max wil come back. I suspect they're getting some run into him 1st. Gram will be back and frankly, no one seems to know why he's been dropped. The crux of your argument ppears to be that you're disgruntled that Goose isn't geting a run.

Whether that's the right call or not remains to be seen. But to call Lyon soft is a bit far fetched IMO.

We've won 9, and in 7 of those we smashed teams. All of a sudden we have this gloom hovering over us because a few teams came within 4 goals.

Your questioning if he has the "guts" to make the big calls is silly. If you honestly think he wouldn't do it for whatevr reason, then you're on another planet. If the day comes when he elevates Max and decides to drop Zac, I'm sure he'll have no problems doing it.

So what we basically have here is a situation where you're at odds with the selection panel. Like I said Spinner, Lyon's job is to win a flag, and if he beleives that he can do it without Max or Goose, then that's his call at the moment.

BTW, we haven't done too badly without them so far. :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Intellectual post as always St.Fid. Willing to shoot off, attack and criticize in your usual fashion, but as always never willing to offer a reasonable and unique opinion. Even when specifically asked for one. I sometime think you fear offering an opinion that goes against the grain? That doesn't align to the norm?

Now, as nicely as possible - If you didn't have any thoughts on the topic I presented, I would suggest you don't reply in future.
Just may I suggest you get off your high horse and read what I have typed?

YOU wanted a "debate" on the matter and you have not even bothered to respond to Mr Magic's response on the first page.....

Your responses to your OP are limp and you have not responded to some, and yet you claim that you want discussion on this...

You then mention that I have some "insider knowledge" on the matter and all I stated was FACT. (what is wrong with that)...

You want a debate about RL being being scared? or weak? bring it on, but don't insult or degrade what I have mentioned and suggest this "insider knowledge"crapola .......

All I have done is inform this site on what the Club is saying and that is by talking to the Executives of the Club, the Coach and Players...

If you think that I mentioned this as big noting myself, you are wrong...

I am merely pointing out just how far off the mark you are...

But please don't get personal and get upset by it...

I just agree what RL has stated, you clearly don't and we have not lost a game..

Again, I have already given my opinion, but for some reason you fail to see it....but love to have a go at me instead...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How long will it take for Ross Lyon to make the hard decision and elevate the senior players playing in the reserves

No question mark, just an assertion thtat it's a hard decision to elevate the 'senior players'
Will it happen, or will be soft and eventually wait for an injury to occur for a spot to free up?
A question mark and an assertion that RL is 'soft'
No question mark but an assertion that RL requires 'guts'
The same goes for Gram and Maguire, wich should definitely be in the team, especially with the likes of Gwilt, McQualter and Blake running around

No question mark but an assertion that certain players should be in the team in place of others.
Will he be able to make the big decision and say to these guys, great efforts, we just need to make room for these guys.
No question mark but an assertion that the players currently in the team shouldn't be.
It seems that Ross has developed a culture in which you put in effort and you get rewarded - but surely it is ludicrous keeping quality players in the reserves.

A question mark and a question, but then an assertion based on his own opinion being more valid than the coach.
Has he developed a scenario that he no longer controls? Will the changes happen? Or will he wait for the easy way out?
3 question marks and perhaps the worst assertion in the whole op.
'the easy way out' implying that RL does not have the courage to make 'hard' decisions as defined by the op.

Spinner, you might as well have started a thread labelled

'I know how to select a team better than Lyon'
and then open it up for discussion.

It may not have been your intention, but that's the way it came across to me, and obviously to others if the responses can be regarded as indicative.

If it was your intention then, IMHO, it just smacks of sheer arrogance on your part that you would seriously believe that you know better than the coach adn selection panel on what is best for the team.

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Ross is systematic and this approach I think is coming through into choices at the selection table. I would love to see Goose, Max and even Armo in but I know far less about footy and far less of Ross' plans to really make a comment.

Are we 'scared' to make a change? I don't think so.

Do we keep showing faith in those who have done the job up to this point? Not a bad option. Do we drop a couple only if we lose? Does a few bad individual performances finally swing the axe after a loss?

Do we make some changes and seemingly improve the team to avoid that loss? Nothing may be 'broke', but do we tweak for improvement anyway?

Do we retain the same team to show confidence and belief in the players there? Will dropping players introduce a sapping of confidence in the 'lesser lights' who neverthless have performed well? Will we undermine that sense of dedication to team goals. Or if they are so sensitive to being dropped, are they all thinking 'team' anyway?

Frankly, I don't know.

I just beleive we are not scared but rather systematic. Ross has a plan. I don't think it is necessarily resting Max for a big second half of the year. I don't know the plan and I don't know the ramifications of altering it at this stage. I just know that we are winning and that the selection table plan is as carefully thought out as the tactical plan.

So far so good. Let's see the future response to the way in which we are challenged and possibly even 'bettered' by other teams.

GO SAINTERS!

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.