where is blake at? Backline discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

where is blake at? Backline discussion

This is not a bag a player thread, there are heaps of others. This more a inspction of where our backline is at in relation to later dates with very good teams.

Two interesting games to look at:

First was the Lions match. Until bradshaw went back were forced for the first time to play against two big gun forwards. Lyon went with zac on bradshaw and chips on brown. This meant that we lost chip's run out of defence but beause he was playing so well on brown they did not release him when bradshaw went back onto roo.

second game was last night against the dee's. Without jack watts and robbo melbourne's forward line revolved around 1 big tall and lots of medium forwards. Zac layed on the big tall but who played on bate. You would think that melbournes most dangerous marking forward would get matched up by blake, but no they played raph.

So the question in both these examples were, why not use blake to release these two players into more useful positions. Chips is a great rebounder and raph plays third up very well or could be useful on a wing. Yet both have been forced to play positions because of our lack of options.

So why is blake still getting a game. Do we select him because he is so versitile and our big worry that if we lose a ruckman we will lose the contested ball (without the blake in ruck cut out)? Could we bring in both max ad maguire to fill in the backline and release raph and chips to more dangerous positions.

So I ask again, why select blake with a long term view to finals.

(btw, whats your best back 6?)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: where is blake at? Backline discussion

Solar wrote:...So I ask again, why select blake....
As a guess, it might have something to do with the fact that the back six, which has seen just one change this year, is the best performing back six by a mile, with the next best being Geelong, no mugs, having had 33.3% more kicked against them.

Also, Melbourne kicked 6 goals last night, not 66. It's hard to know just what will satisfy some people - no goals!

It would seem to me that the best prep for the finals is the preceding 22 games.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I actually feel that Blake has been solid without being spectacular and reliable.
Plays with all heart and is an important part of the back six.
His versatility makes him important to the side, he can play back, middle, on ball, tag and forward and make a contribution.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
claystreet
Club Player

Leave Mr Fixit alone, he does what hes told and usually does it well.

8-)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Will support King in the ruck next week with Max to the backline.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Blake as a defender:

*solid
*versatile..can play on various heights
* fantastiv spolier..is often used to come in as an extra man
*often takes the resting ruckmen
* is often used as the "release " player...ie he finds space and i the Saints are blocked they kick it to Blake while they reset.
* works very hard

On the demirit side...still puts hands in the back too often...and has the occasional brain-fade.

All in all is good value.

Personally I would be dropping Raph before Blake.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Blake as a defender:

*solid
*versatile..can play on various heights
* fantastiv spolier..is often used to come in as an extra man
*often takes the resting ruckmen
* is often used as the "release " player...ie he finds space and i the Saints are blocked they kick it to Blake while they reset.
* works very hard

On the demirit side...still puts hands in the back too often...and has the occasional brain-fade.

All in all is good value.

Personally I would be dropping Raph before Blake.

Ever wondered why he is always free? Against every team, every week?

It's as if teams were somehow strategically forcing us to kick it to him.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Blake as a defender:

** is often used as the "release " player...ie he finds space and i the Saints are blocked they kick it to Blake while they reset.

Ever wondered why he is always free? Against every team, every week?

It's as if teams were somehow strategically forcing us to kick it to him.....
I think it is more that Lyon has instructed him to fill that role.

Our game plan is to attack quickly if we can...but to not lose control of the ball.

Ifa path forward is not there game plan is to switch play and open upa path.

In the backline Blake is part of our Plan B. His role is to run free so that we can switch it.

Zac does likewise.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
starsign
Club Player

So why is blake still getting a game. Do we select him because he is so versitile and our big worry that if we lose a ruckman we will lose the contested ball (without the blake in ruck cut out)? Could we bring in both max ad maguire to fill in the backline and release raph and chips to more dangerous positions.
surely you don't mean dropping Blake and retaining Raph?

The Sainter
Club Player

I would drop Baker before Blake. Although Blake makes some bad errors in judgment at times at least he can take a good overhead mark. Baker is just too small to play as a back man and the way Jones is developing every week as a strong tagger who also gets a fair share himself of the ball Baker sadly is not needed now that's for sure. Replace him with the taller Maquire who has been marking strongly in the twos. looks very fit and is just as tough at the ball as Baker and a much longer kick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Blake is safe at the moment because he can play in many positions. He is always going to be in the firing line but I think he would be a favourite of RL because of the options he gives.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Blake is safe at the moment because he can play in many positions. He is always going to be in the firing line but I think he would be a favourite of RL because of the options he gives.
the question is, is this flexibility a positive or negative. He does not seem to be great in any position. Kind of similar to the all rounder in the aussie side, not good enough just a batsman or bowler.

Who would he play on in a final against geelong? I see better options personally.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Blake's played every game since Lyon became coach. Lyon likes him because he's flexible and accountable.
I'd probably still prefer to see Max and/or Goose playing the key defence role that Blake is doing and allow Blake to play the run with role he was doing more of prior to Goose's injuries.
Either way don't expect Blake to be dropped.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Raph was thrown to the wolves last week, asked to play key back on one of Melbs most dangerous forwards...

Raph was played out of position, and suffered for this reason... All the while, Blake tried to play the link up/zone off role, which he doesnt do well... I thought this set-up was very strange...

After half time when Raph was released into a more attacking, centre forward, running role, he improved greatly and played well...

If Blake is going to stay in the side, he needs to cement his spot as a key back... Not a jack of all trades, cos the stronger we get, the more his postion is in jeopardy, as he'd be a master of none....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The Sainter wrote:I would drop Baker before Blake. Although Blake makes some bad errors in judgment at times at least he can take a good overhead mark. Baker is just too small to play as a back man and the way Jones is developing every week as a strong tagger who also gets a fair share himself of the ball Baker sadly is not needed now that's for sure. Replace him with the taller Maquire who has been marking strongly in the twos. looks very fit and is just as tough at the ball as Baker and a much longer kick.
Other than get outmarked once when he was trying to man up on a significantly larger opponent, I'm not sure I saw Baker do much wrong on Sat night. And I did enjoy watching him absolutely smash Bate whe the latter was stuck hanging under a hospital handball. Not the hardest tackle to make or anything, but geez he hit him hard...Sounded fantastic!

rexy
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Raph was thrown to the wolves last week, asked to play key back on one of Melbs most dangerous forwards...

Raph was played out of position, and suffered for this reason... All the while, Blake tried to play the link up/zone off role, which he doesnt do well... I thought this set-up was very strange...

After half time when Raph was released into a more attacking, centre forward, running role, he improved greatly and played well...

If Blake is going to stay in the side, he needs to cement his spot as a key back... Not a jack of all trades, cos the stronger we get, the more his postion is in jeopardy, as he'd be a master of none....
I got lambasted for making this point last week. I dont have a problem with Blake as such. As a key defender he was proving worthwhile IMO. Since the collingwood game he has had some strange match ups, he is not getting the 2nd marking forward and is being exposed by more mobile opponents, he is trying to get loose and make them pay but is not good enough with ball in hand to do any damage coming out of defence. Blake is either our CHB/2nd tall defender or is not in the side IMO. Dont know if Lyon is out thinking himself or has lost faith in Blake to play on key forwards?

Maybe this year?
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Continuity...

The longer they play the same back 6....the better the back 6 will get