SANDY Teams VS Coburg Sat 27th 2 pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Just got back from the game....havnt got time right now to post a full report but extremely impressed with Lynch and Steven.

Lynch's ability to read the play will make him a useful asset once he builds his body up while Steven's intensity is amazing!

starsign
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Just got back from the game....havnt got time right now to post a full report but extremely impressed with Lynch and Steven.

Lynch's ability to read the play will make him a useful asset once he builds his body up while Steven's intensity is amazing!
thats 2 sizzlers in a row from Jack!!! good stuff he's gunna be a gun!

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I think we need to play Jack is any game the opposition is supposed to be quick eg Essendon - he is very fast. Blood him now I say.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
TassieJones
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Hughes (I assume its Cleve Hughes?) Polak and Hislop..dont often see 3 AFL senior players in a VFL ressies team
that'd be hislop's brother jacob. tommy should line up against us on sunday.

great signs from armo, steven and lynch. hopefully one of them gets a crack at some point

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Intersting comments from our friends at SER..that many of the Tigers-listed players seemed to be playing for their careers..looking after No 1..whereas the Zebras were far more team oriented :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

For anyone who went, how did Raph and Miles go? And did Gwilt play or was he kept in reserve as an emergency for tomorrow?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:For anyone who went, how did Raph and Miles go? And did Gwilt play or was he kept in reserve as an emergency for tomorrow?
And Goose !!

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Alright boys, here we go:

In the 3SER box, I was the only one to tip Sandy, was accused of being biased before the bounce, but justified myself in the end! Hope you guys enjoyed the call (btw, the online web stream is a bit dodgy, sometimes you have to refresh the site and reload it to get it working again)

Thoughts:

Armitage: Brilliant game. When the match was there to be won, it was Armo that was the standout. Was runninng hard, tackling with ferocity and finding alot of the ball. Kicked a team-lifter in the first quarter from outside 50 as well. Best game I've seen him play. 28 touches, 7 tackles, 9 1%ers.

Steven: Did a lot of good things, but went missing from time to time. Worrying when he failed to make the distance from 40m on two occasions in the 1st and 3rd quarters. I really like the way he applies pressure and has good hands in close.

Dempster: Encouraging signs! Seems to be finding his feet at VFL level, and is on track to be pushing for senior selection in coming weeks. Was quite polished and wasn't rushed in his decision-making.

R Clarke: An OK game. Raph should be dominating at VFL level, but was only solid today, collecting 17 touches. One glaring error which resulted in him being caught holding the ball. Don't think he'll be in line for a recall next week.

Lynch: Super impressive. I gave him a vote today in my 3-2-1 for the station. Had 22 touches, 11 marks and 3 goals. Works extremely hard, and always seems to make the right decision with the ball in his hand. Applies good pressure on the opposition also. He is definitely a likely type.

Stanley: Another decent game from Rhys. Only 8 possessions, but was clean with them, and also gathered about 25 hit outs (level with the Coburg team's total). Really impressed with his agility and ability to make a contest once the ball hits the deck. Good 2nd efforts and intensity.

Heyne: Had a really good patch during the middle quarters, but was virtually unsighted in the 1st and 4th. Did some very neat things, and kicked 2 goals, one of which was really clever. Laid one really really great smother, which impressed me because I didn't think he was renowned for his defensive work.

Smith: Will be a player. Gradually came into the game the longer it wore on. Had a knack of finding space, looked to be quite quick and had a bit of penetration with his kicking. I liked the way he had a dip in the contests as well.

Gaertner: Wasn't too bad as a 2nd ruck option. Picked up a few disposals around the ground, won a few hitouts, and laid a couple of strong tackles, although playing out of position. Seems to be quite a versatile player, and a decent rookie pick.

Miles: Was really good before he came off. Came off in the first few minutes of the 3rd, but by then had already accumulated 15 touches and kicked the first goal of the day. Seems to be more of a flanker type, as opposed to a long-term replacement ofr Max as some have suggested.

Simpkin: Did a decent job in defence without being spectacular. Seemed quite neat and assured when he had the ball, and displayed some really good endeavour at times. Could develop into a handy player.

Goose: Again, solid, if unspectacular. Took a few strong grabs, and showed some of his characteristic runs and booming kicks up field. On a couple of occasions, was guilty of trying to crash his way through tackles, and probably should have been pinged. Is on the comeback trail, and will be back playing senior footy soon we hope.

Begley: Liked his game. Displayed some really good skills on his left foot, and applied really good defensive pressure. Played mainly half-back, running through the middle a bit, and my opinion of him has been changed. Is a very handy depth player.

From the reserves (saw the 2nd half)

Connors - Didn't notice him do too much

Howard - Again, found a lot of the ball, but on a couple of instances, was guilty of blazing away a bit without looking. Needs to develop a bit more awareness and composure - he has more space than he thinks sometimes.

McGrath - Likely type. Got his hands on the ball a bit, and seemed to have a good presence. Is still developing!

McGarry - Liked his game. Should be playing in seniors for Sandy. Runs hard, tackles hard, and seems to have good skills. Impressive prospect for a rookie pick.

Tungatalum - Did a few neat things, including a really impressive chase that resulted in his goal. Played up the ground a bit, and seemed to be quite composed when he had the ball. Got caught trying to do too much on a couple of occasions. Actually spoke to him at half-time during the seniors, very shy, but nice enough, don't think he's used to being recognised. He reckons he's put on 3-4 kgs, mainly in the legs since he's come to the club!

The Saints are coming!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

meher baba wrote:For anyone who went, how did Raph and Miles go? And did Gwilt play or was he kept in reserve as an emergency for tomorrow?
Gwilt did not play. Must be an emergency for tomorrow.

The Saints are coming!
Sainterman
Club Player

Great report TBS, appreciate the in depth analysis. Sounds like a few likely types pushing up into the mix.

DJKCR
Club Player

Cheers for the breakdown True Blue Sainter

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:wonder if i can pick it up on the car radio in SA
highly unlikely huh...:(
extremely unlikely- can't hear it much past melton on a good day

and try listening from 20 ft away- :?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thanks TBS. Much appreciated !!

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter

Alright boys, here we go:
You might want to include the girls as well :)

Good repeort btw :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Was good to see the Saints coaching panel at the game ,
and a few players from both tomorrows teams

and the Tigers coach.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the report TBS

avid
Club Player

Yes, thanks TBS for your report.
Very much appreciated.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

great report

awesome to hear that armo was busting a gut and getting to lots of contests. Suprised about steven's kicking not making 40 as he is a lovely kick.

Really impressed with the result and fantastic to hear that the kids are developing well

Just a question, had LJ done enough to justify a full spot on the list or wil we do what we did with howard and rookie him.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Quixote
SS Life Member

FANTASTIC news re: Armitage.

Ever since he broke his collar bone last Sunday, things have only looked up. :wink:

BTW thank you very much for the report.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
SuperSaint
Club Player

Armitage is courageous and has a tough body. If he can continue to show consistency in his game, he will be a valuable part of our midfield as we could do with another quality inside midfielder.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for a great report TBS....

Looking at recent form it would seem:

Armo pushing for Selection. One suspects that if mini was not playing capably that Armo would have played some senior footy this year.

Dempster looking good to force his way back in by seasons end

Raph...sadly has been my No 1 disappointment for the yea. I realy thought that he turned his career in the finals last year and that this year he would continue on at a higher level. sadly he has not and is struggling.

Lynch looks to in time to be a future third tall forward for us. He is a "footballer" that can read the play and very importantly for a forward knows "when" to lead and move.

Stanley looks the good for the future...but no this year.

Steven continues to shine...probably not quite ready this year...but watch out next.

Miles....seems to get mixed reports. but on the whole his games seem ok....could be a future BP...

Howard...days would seem to be number as there are simply too many players to recruit to continue for him to stay on the rookie list without showing more.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

you missed eddie....

according to the age......armitage and eddy picked up more than 50 possessions between them....

dempster more than 20 disposals ....whilst mguire played well down back keeping jay schulz to just one goal....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

stinger wrote:you missed eddie....

according to the age......armitage and eddy picked up more than 50 possessions between them....

dempster more than 20 disposals ....whilst mguire played well down back keeping jay schulz to just one goal....
Yeah sorry about that Sting...

Eddy was very good. Runs hard to space, as we all know, and had about 25 touches. Was consistent across the four quarters. He's another bloke that is struggling to get a look in, but would be close to nextt cab off the rank if a midfielder/forward goes down. Impressed with his intensity and 1%ers.

The Saints are coming!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

went to the game,

enjoyed how the saints played. It would be difficult for Lynch to dominate too mcuh with Saunter in the side. but still he is going quite well.

will sam Mcgarry get a look in the VFL seniors or not ?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

saintly wrote:went to the game,

enjoyed how the saints played. It would be difficult for Lynch to dominate too mcuh with Saunter in the side. but still he is going quite well.

will sam Mcgarry get a look in the VFL seniors or not ?
Was named on the extended bench for the VFL seniors, so must be close. Continually being named close to BOG for the Ressies. I admit that I thought he looked too good for VFL ressies level, very physical and hard-running player.

The Saints are coming!