Tall poppy syndrome

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly_safes
Club Player

Tall poppy syndrome

I was listening to the game on 6PR(WA radio station) & it was an absolute joke the bias they showed to Richmond.The umpires were favouring the Saints , Richmond should have been 5 goals up at quarter time, Kosi is a pretender & a powder puff,Rooy is a protected species & gets handed alot of his goals,the umpires are making sure St.Kilda goes though to next week undefeated.Everytime Richmond made a mistake it wasnt from the pressure we were putting on them it was just poor decision making. In the end I had to switch over to the ABC who gave a lot better balanced covereage of the game.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Always listen ABC - NOT the other garbage.

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SS what do you expect from the no-neck turkeys in the WA media. The most parochial, short sighted, openly biased mob in the country. Did they mention Benny boy about a hundred times? That would have been the WA audience' chief interest and probably why the commentary was Richmond- centric.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to life at the top of the ladder and being 12 (now 13) -0

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:SS what do you expect from the no-neck turkeys in the WA media. The most parochial, short sighted, openly biased mob in the country. Did they mention Benny boy about a hundred times? That would have been the WA audience' chief interest and probably why the commentary was Richmond- centric.
AND they are jealous that the Saints are doing so well whilst they are crp.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
maz1685
Club Player

One thing I noticed was the amount of frees given to St Kilda (all legit) but saw some very obvious ones not given to Richmond, this only annoys me because I don't want anyone to be able to say 'Umpires were favouring St Kilda'. You know that if this were a close game, everyone would have said that we only won cos of umpires. 22 for and 10 against is quite a difference in my opinion.

DJKCR
Club Player

I don't think it would have been WA commentators seeing as there wasn't a WA team playing. But funny you mention bias in a call I actually for the first time heard Chris McDermott and company calling the Adelaide, Sydney match on the weekend, and I couldn't believe the amount of bias in the call. I had heard that they were bad but they were openly cheering everything that Adelaide didl. I have heard less one eyed comments coming from drunks in the outer. I thought listening to games over here in WA against the Eagles were bad but Adelaide seems to take the cake.

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
Nattens
Club Player

Try listening to a K-Rock coverage on 95.5 in VIC on the Geelong game this week if you want bias ;)

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Half of them were legit holding the ball calls. If they dished it off faster the figure would of been closer.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

maz1685 wrote:One thing I noticed was the amount of frees given to St Kilda (all legit) but saw some very obvious ones not given to Richmond, this only annoys me because I don't want anyone to be able to say 'Umpires were favouring St Kilda'. You know that if this were a close game, everyone would have said that we only won cos of umpires. 22 for and 10 against is quite a difference in my opinion.
yep, i think richmond got the rough end of the stick from the umpires. wouldn't have changed the result at all, though.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Welcome to life at the top of the ladder and being 12 (now 13) -0
Not sure about that mate. Geelong get a pretty good rap....wait let me re phrase that....Geelong get treated like demi-gods in the media.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Living interestate, I can assure you the commentary is usually against St Kilda, I don't know why, but most seem to hate us. They are always urging on the other team, it makes me sick. :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i agree smokey dawson has it in for st kilda it kills him to say somthing good about us !!! (with the exception to his "nephew" Zac )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps we need to take that one last step to command the respect that we saints fans think we deserve. Fingers crossed that it will come to be late in September this year !!

loris
Saintsational Legend

I was in my sick bed on sunday and listened to ABC Radio coverage in Perth (broadcast streamed from Melbourne). A most informative coverage - the 2 special guest commentators were Aussie Jones and Adam Rammanaskas (?spelling). They were not only informative but entertaining.....made me forget all my aches and pains.

They were a hoot on Max being injured.... once it was realised Max wasn't seriously injured ofcourse. Boy did both of them give it to Maxie in fun. Aussie saying Max is known as the hypocondriac of the Saints team, just loves being on the medical couch. Recalled days of when he had to wait in line in pain whilst Max monopolised the medical staff.
Ramma was more worried about the St John Ambulance team being let down....they all had their hopes high hoping to bring Maxie back from the jaws of death and he was only jesting them and they sadly couldn't practise their life giving skills.
They also joked about how Matty Maguire would have been on a roller coaster ride....... on the up thinking he could be in the team next week when he saw Max go off on a stretcher....... then he would be on the ride down when Max came back on the ground....then on the ride up again when Max walked down the rooms with the doctor the second time. It was good banter with Aussie & Ramma throughout the day.

On the serious side, their analysis of match ups, plays and strategies during the game were first class.
Ramma was very good in picking up the off ball play - 1%ers. He often pointed out how a different player blocked a tagger, shepparded well, was able to manouvre his opponent to the wrong side, was reading the play well by running to an area of the ground to create space. He was excellent in his observations as the call went on. He picked up all those little extras that often don't get given in a call. I was most impressed with Ramma, but then that was the way he played, so I guess he would notice all such efforts on the field.
And the main caller was professional in his call and objectivity, plus he created good word pictures so I was able to visualise the game plays easily.

Why would one listen to something streamed through 6PR amazes me...... they essentially cater to an audience that listens to hyperbole. Commercial radio for footy is pretty woeful much of the time, with ads at inappropriate times, and callers who are more interested in voicing their not so knowledgeable opinions than actually calling the play as it happens IMHO.
Possibly 6PR gets it's coverage streamed from 3AW (or whatever its call sign is these days)....... does that idiot Rex Hunt still call for them.....enough said if that's where 6PR gets it's Melb coverage from :roll:

Try ABC Radio next time......... another good special commentator with them is Stan Alves.....tho he can get a little over the top at times.

robbo_25
Club Player

[quote="Nattens"]Try listening to a K-Rock coverage on 95.5 in VIC on the Geelong game this week if you want bias ;)[/quote]

Thats just like triple M 104.9 on sydney radio.
All about the swans!

robbo
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Hey Loris;

GET WELL SOON :( !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we are hardly tall poppies. least succesful club in vfl/afl history.

lets at least win a flag before we claim this.

probably something to do with the individuals making the calls.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:we are hardly tall poppies. least succesful club in vfl/afl history.

lets at least win a flag before we claim this.

probably something to do with the individuals making the calls.
I think you have misunderstood the post.Its not about what we've done over the last 100 years it about what we have done over the last 13 rounds that has the so called experts trying to undermine our efforts & Imo think thats unfair.Imo dont think you have to win a flag to have credability Geelong are the prime example.They have won 1 flag in 40 + years & we've won 1 flag in 40 + years :?