Bomber Thompson admits Cats, Saints don't get along

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thompson is playing "Mind Games". Let's hope that our players don't get as emotional about it as the fans !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

'Mindless' games.

It's just piffle.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Thompson is playing "Mind Games". Let's hope that our players don't get as emotional about it as the fans !!
Let him play "Mind Games" and we'll play another Lennon classic "Instant karma" 8-)

"Imagine" if we win :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Mark Thompson may be a good coach and a good bloke. I don't know him personally. The general perception (amongst my mates in the media who deal with him often) is he comes across as an arrogant, supercilious knob in his dealings with them. Can't wait to see the supercilious grin slide right off those fish lips on Sunday. Wasn't too gracious in defeat last year, as I recall. How people respond to victory tells you a lot about them. How they respond under pressure and in defeat tells you even more! On balance, from what I've seen, IMHO, he is a knob. Make that a Mega-knob!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Mark Thompson may be a good coach and a good bloke. I don't know him personally. The general perception (amongst my mates in the media who deal with him often) is he comes across as an arrogant, supercilious knob in his dealings with them. Can't wait to see the supercilious grin slide right off those fish lips on Sunday. Wasn't too gracious in defeat last year, as I recall. How people respond to victory tells you a lot about them. How they respond under pressure and in defeat tells you even more! On balance, from what I've seen, IMHO, he is a knob. Make that a Mega-knob!

as i said i believe he is an arsehole........and i dopn't believe i have to give an explanation for my opinion to a certain sarcastic poster on here who should know all about that particular subject...... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Mark Thompson may be a good coach and a good bloke. I don't know him personally. The general perception (amongst my mates in the media who deal with him often) is he comes across as an arrogant, supercilious knob in his dealings with them. Can't wait to see the supercilious grin slide right off those fish lips on Sunday. Wasn't too gracious in defeat last year, as I recall. How people respond to victory tells you a lot about them. How they respond under pressure and in defeat tells you even more! On balance, from what I've seen, IMHO, he is a knob. Make that a Mega-knob!

as i said i believe he is an arsehole........and i dopn't believe i have to give an explanation for my opinion to a certain sarcastic poster on here who should know all about that particular subject...... :roll:
What he did would mean there are a lot of arseholes in the world including probably many on here. Maybe I am more forgiving than you. Also i am pretty sure both you and me do not know the complete story anyway unless we know him personally. I do know his sister but have never discussed it with her as you would expect.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:as i said i believe he is an arsehole........and i dopn't believe i have to give an explanation for my opinion to a certain sarcastic poster on here who should know all about that particular subject...... :roll:
No you don't stinger. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Have at it.

As am I to mine ... which is he seems to me to be a genuine type of bloke, who has (after some considerable time) enabled a talented group of players to combine into the best pure team I've ever seen play. All of the players on the one page, playing attacking powerful footy, collating a win/loss record that's never even been come close to in the modern (post 1990) era. If you love the game you should respect that about them at least.

As to him personally, I've no idea. I've never met the bloke, so I don't feel entitled to an opinion on that aspect of his life. YMMV.

reincarnated

plugger66 wrote:
Superboot wrote:Can't imagine Ross Lyon being so childish and unprofessional as to make these sorts of comments.

They are either silly or mildly inflamatory, depending on your point of view, but they certainly serve no useful purpose.
I know fancy saying something that is obviously true to everyone which is involved inside the clubs. He is a fool. He is acting like a child with that one line comment.
Who really cares?

How can a rivalry be suggested when we have not even met in a final?

Just watched the presser and bomber talked about the match being physical and agressive with cuts and a few players bleeding, nothing about punch on's etc etc

I think our group of players are better than starting blue's with the best team in the competition. What is going to come of it? Gablett getting cranky and deciding to kick the ball more?

I expect our players to 'fly the flag' however just get the damn ball and kick it properly and we should go fine

matrix
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
:?:

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

What he did would mean there are a lot of arseholes in the world including probably many on here. Maybe I am more forgiving than you. Also i am pretty sure both you and me do not know the complete story anyway unless we know him personally. I do know his sister but have never discussed it with her as you would expect.
oh FFS sake give it a rest plugger :x

Quite a few of us from observing Fish lips over the years have concluded from his lack of grace and humility that the guy is a knob of the highest order...

Its got nothing to do with knowing the full story or knowing him personally...we are simply making that observation on the basis of his public persona,press conferences etc ect..

His lack of grace in defeat last year was very evident.

HE IS A KNOB AND AN ARROGANT ARSEHOLE IN MY HUMBLE OPINION...

Got that? :roll:
Last edited by saint patrick on Wed 01 Jul 2009 5:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
:?: :?:

Reinc, happy to see you've dropped the third person rubbish, but it seems a very short memory has taken its place...
Last edited by Thinline on Wed 01 Jul 2009 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

reincarnated

matrixcutter wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
Whoops

Well what reincarnated was getting at was there is limited history apart from what was said 5+ years ago

Stand corrected

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
reincarnated wrote:
Whoops

Well what reincarnated was getting at was there is limited history apart from what was said 5+ years ago

Stand corrected
Spoke too soon. 3rd person is back...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Quite a few of us from observing Fish lips over the years have concluded from his lack of grace and humility that the guy is a knob of the highest order...

Its got nothing to do with knowing the full story...we are simply making that observation on the basis of his press statements ect..

What are you on about. I was talking to Stinger and wasnt having a go at him and was commenting on what he said. I suggest you have your opinion but in this case it has nothing to do with you. Now go away and continue your obviously pleasant day.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

IMO I ride with St Pat.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

...and this guy is obviously not an arsehole......unlike his coach....

"
Rivalry healthy not personal

Stephen Rielly | July 01, 2009
Article from: The Australian

BOXING promoters and tabloids love their sports told through cliches about hairy chested confrontations and Neanderthal spite. Tom Harley doesn't.

The Geelong captain admires St Kilda for the way in which it has returned this season to be his side's most obvious threat and likes to think that if there is any edge to Sunday's feverishly anticipated encounter between the unbeaten teams it will be nothing less than healthy.

Talk of old-school grudges, payback and, specifically, the exchange that took place between former St Kilda great Robert Harvey and Geelong full-back Matthew Scarlett at the conclusion to last season's qualifying final, appeared to be lost on Harley yesterday when he spoke of excitement, respect and recognition. Such words and concepts are more often heard in the UN General Assembly.

The rivalry that some are trying hard to characterise as a yesteryear enmity is, Harley said, "nothing out of the ordinary".

"It's just that the evolution of the two sides has gone along a pretty similar path. We both went through the rebuilding phase at the same time and played finals in '04 and '05.

"They played a preliminary final (in '06) and then we got the jump on them in '07 and then they played in a preliminary final last year. A lot of people think that St Kilda has come from nowhere but they were in the second-last weekend of last year. It's not a bolt from the blue by any stretch.

"The rivalry is there ... but it's nothing personal, just the development of the two clubs I think. It's pretty healthy. Really healthy, I think."

It is not that Harley has little, if any, interest in talking up what is an unprecedented home and away encounter. Never before have two sides remained undefeated 13 rounds into a season.

But football, as much as it is his profession and, perhaps, the most important institution in the town of Geelong, is for Harley still a game. One to be enjoyed and celebrated but also balanced against other priorities.

"It is exciting. I've got no qualms about saying that it is something exciting to be a part of," Harley said of Sunday's match.

"But ... it's still a home and away game. It doesn't have the build-up of a final as far as how important the result is. "We'll try to keep things in perspective as much as we can and really enjoy it."

A little further along, he returned to the same theme.

"I'm sure that it will be made an issue, whoever wins and loses this game, that they will take some favouritism into the finals. But for us, I wouldn't have thought it's got that sort of rating on it," he said.

"Above all else, we've recognised what they're (St Kilda) doing at the moment, setting some pretty strong standards and we want to test ourselves against the best. That's what Sunday's all about for us."

By best, Harley made clear that he meant the best of the moment. He wasn't going to be too gracious. It is Geelong, after all, which has won 55 of its past 58 matches, played in the last two grand finals and won a premiership, something St Kilda last did 43 years ago.

For now, though, he said, St Kilda has the numbers by which he meant the advantage of a superior percentage and a defensive record that is stunning. In statistical terms, Sunday's showdown will put the best defensive team in the game up against the most potent.

Harley likes what St Kilda has done to improve, to relaunch itself after being whipped twice by almost 10 goals in last year's finals. Perhaps, because of the patience that was tested but ultimately required to build Geelong into the force that it is, Harley can see some sort of parallel emerging.

The Saints' scrooge-like qualities, he says, are neither radical nor the product of sudden change.

"I definitely don't think it's new. I just think they're doing it really well," Harley said.

"Obviously something's happened in their make-up this year and over pre-season that they've decided to really value, as much as anything else.

"That's not to undersell their attacking style but if you look at St Kilda over the last couple of years, probably since Ross (Lyon) has come on board, it's almost like they've wanted to build from their defence forward.

"There were calls that they were playing ugly footy and, 'how could they play the way they are?' because they've got such great forwards. But if you look back now, in hindsight, he obviously had a plan, stuck to it and they're bearing the fruits of it now."

reincarnated

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Its got nothing to do with knowing the full story or knowing him personally...we are simply making that observation on the basis of his public persona,press conferences etc ect..

His lack of grace in defeat last year was very evident.

He knows his football club is good, he knows they have quality players and should attain continued success

He has done a good job at keeping it quiet

So he has to be graceful in defeat? Is there a rule?

Or is this a soapbox moral/ethics debate?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
stinger wrote:as i said i believe he is an arsehole........and i dopn't believe i have to give an explanation for my opinion to a certain sarcastic poster on here who should know all about that particular subject...... :roll:
No you don't stinger. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Have at it.

As am I to mine ... which is he seems to me to be a genuine type of bloke, who has (after some considerable time) enabled a talented group of players to combine into the best pure team I've ever seen play. All of the players on the one page, playing attacking powerful footy, collating a win/loss record that's never even been come close to in the modern (post 1990) era. If you love the game you should respect that about them at least.

As to him personally, I've no idea. I've never met the bloke, so I don't feel entitled to an opinion on that aspect of his life. YMMV.
great post -well said.

I dont blame his club for not liking us. Nothing like a bit of fear of a challenge to spread dislike.

Same on the Saints side. I bet they dont like the fact Geelong has owned them for the past three years and the fact that the Geelong players think they are overrated, and the fact that they have sat around at a BBQ on GF day in 07 and 08 while Geelong won a flag and nearly won another.

I know that Frank Costa has respect for our president he has said so publicly.

Bomber Thomson is a coach that is at the top of his game and wants to knock of a challenger.

Glad he doesn't like us - would make him a piss weak coach if he did.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

i have no idea what you are on about or what you are smoking ffs..... :roll:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Reincarnated that is a painfully inadequate argument.

No, there's no rule that makes grace compulsory, but grace in the public eye is an attractive quality (one I might add that our coach has in spades, so too Paul Roos, Lethal when he was around, and Michael Voss but I digress). The debate here is whether Thompson has those kinds of qualities.

I and others say he doesn't. Not by a long shot.

Whether or not he should or shouldn't is something you've added to the argument see your name in print.

Thinline says, anyway.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

there are very few afl coaches that i have ever disliked......thompson and harvey are two i really detest though......neither has ever rated us and have been arrogant in their dismissal over the years......never heard either one say a positive thing about the saints......so what you say.......????......

BakesFan
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He is a terrible coach with a terrible record.
and an arsehole of a bloke........your sarcasm is misplaced on this forum......
Why is he an arsehole. Do you know him. You have your opinion I will have mine. He has done nothing wrong by me so why would I dislike him. Because he coaches another club. Big deal.

His record as a coach is great that is all I know.
What then is your opinion of his public/media persona which, as far as I can tell, is what is being discussed?
He has said nothing in public for me to dislike him. Comes across as a decent person who happens to coach a side we do not follow.
So it's fair to say you don't really have an opinion of him....
Pretty sure I said he was a decent person. Is that not an opinion of him or should I be like some on hetre and hate this and hate that.
Meh... you said he comes across as a decent person, which is fairly non-committal... but so what if others think he comes across as an ar$ehole?

He comes across as arrogant to me.... hope that's ok.
Thats fine if you want to feel that way. I just one guy why he was an arsehole. I even said he has his opinion I have mine. Arent we allowed to ask questions on here. Have I said to anyone you are not allowed to dislike him?
I'm just asking questions too.... everyone is happy :wink:
all these boxes are pretty! :D .. what are we talking about :?:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL Bakes

reincarnated

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

so if you have no idea what he is on about why bother posting?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

so if you have no idea what he is on about why bother posting?
there's an echo around here......happens every time plugger posts..... :roll: :roll: :roll: