Still no goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doristhesaint
Club Player

Seaford_Saint wrote:Maguire will be a good addition to the Tigers defensive unit next year... in exchange for their 1st round draft pick!!! :lol: :lol:
Goose might be a good addition to the tigers backline but they are going to finish bottom four and there is no chance they are going to give up that pick for goose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some rubbish on this thread. Some basically saying they know more than the coaching panel. Some saying Blake has to improve. Someone even saying Goose should play because of his 2005 form. There was no way Goose could play this week due to team balance. I would love someone to come up with a backline that will match the Cats with Goose in the side. So for all you who want Goose in the side there is your challenge.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Some rubbish on this thread. Some basically saying they know more than the coaching panel. Some saying Blake has to improve. Someone even saying Goose should play because of his 2005 form. There was no way Goose could play this week due to team balance. I would love someone to come up with a backline that will match the Cats with Goose in the side. So for all you who want Goose in the side there is your challenge.
100% right.

The Cats can have up to three smalls in their forward line....and Baker our on small backman is not the quickest either.

Goose can't play on smalls.

Blake can.

But watch out for Dempster coming in ONCE he is match hardened.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Rice Paper
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Some rubbish on this thread. Some basically saying they know more than the coaching panel. Some saying Blake has to improve. Someone even saying Goose should play because of his 2005 form. There was no way Goose could play this week due to team balance. I would love someone to come up with a backline that will match the Cats with Goose in the side. So for all you who want Goose in the side there is your challenge.
100% right.

The Cats can have up to three smalls in their forward line....and Baker our on small backman is not the quickest either.

Goose can't play on smalls.

Blake can.

But watch out for Dempster coming in ONCE he is match hardened.
We need a more mobile backline, look out for Miles to come in and Gwilt as the 3rd tall.

So I think Blake might be the one to be dropped for team balance. Against Carlton Satanta took Blake to the cleaners and it was mentioned on TV that Carlton was looking for that matchup because they believed Blake was the slowest player in defance.

Geelong has the quickest forward line in the league, Buyrne, Varcoe, Johnson, Chapman and they rotate through Ablett and Bartell.

Currently the backline is Zac for Hawkins, Fisher for Mooney, Baker for Byrne, Gilbert for Johnson and Blake might have to play on Chapman.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We all love Goose and what he's achieved, but, hey, life's a bitch...

Goose's VFL form has been middling at best and the only time he's played well with anything remotely consistent is when he's been playing as a forward.

So, given 2005 was four farking year's ago, and given the above, I really wish people would quit pushing his cause when there is no freaking way he's going to get a run as a defender at St Kilda this year unless the world somehow conspires to knock two or three of Zac, Max, Blake or Fisher out of play with injury. And even then he'll be up against Dempster, Raph and Miles. When King comes back, his chances will decrease again.

For Christ's sake, the guy isn't even getting a nod as an emergency.

Does that not make it clear enough?

His only hope for a run is if Riewoldt or Kosi fall to bits at some point, Gwilt falls out of favour as a third tall, and for whatever reason the selectors think Goose might snag a few. If Gwilt is not up to scratch this week, he might be a chance up forward given Goddard's form as a pinch hit forward against West Coast in Rd 3.

Otherwise - and don't get me wrong, it hurts to say - Goose will be a Blue, a Dog or a Tiger next year and played as a forward who can fill in up back if required (IMO).

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's also take into account the amount of time Goose has been out of the game.
He would not be AFL match fit and bring him in on such a big game would be a gamble.
If Max is still injured for the Weagles game, RL might consider giving him a run in a less pressure game. Providing of course it suits the team balance.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Royston
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Let's also take into account the amount of time Goose has been out of the game.
He would not be AFL match fit and bring him in on such a big game would be a gamble.
If Max is still injured for the Weagles game, RL might consider giving him a run in a less pressure game. Providing of course it suits the team balance.
Spot on - Promoting Goose into what promises to be a hot fast contest would do him more harm than good.
He hasn't set the world on fire and really his body is still recovering/strgthening - Brown from Richmond said he came back too early.
If we do trade him we need to get 1 more game intop him to notch up 100 for the father/son qualification!!

Shaggy
Club Player

Since 2005 Goose has not played much footy. You would expect it would take at least one full season and another pre-season to get back to his former glory.

Given that Max and JB are likely to be gone over next 2 years I would have thought Goose was very required and very important to us going forward.

Doesn't mean he should get a game early.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Doh!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Goose's first game back against Geelong, eh? I know he's a hard unit, but that's a tough call for a comeback! Maybe next week?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Let's also take into account the amount of time Goose has been out of the game.
Spot on - Promoting Goose into what promises to be a hot fast contest would do him more harm than good.
He hasn't set the world on fire and really his body is still recovering/strgthening - Brown from Richmond said he came back too early.
If we do trade him we need to get 1 more game intop him to notch up 100 for the father/son qualification!!
EXACTLY. Ross is on record as saying he wants Goods to succeed. Any halfwit would make the same decission not to bring him back for this game. Goose will get his chance soon enough.

saintly_safes
Club Player

It was always going to be difficult to pick Goose this week againt a team like Geelong.His form in the VFL has been ok but its a big step up in intensity & for a guy that hasnt played at that level for a long time . It's not the sort of game you can just slip a bloke in to get aclimatetised to the speed & pressure of afl footy imo

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Still no goose

Shades wrote:I'm not happy max goes out and we bring in gwilt raph and miles goose IMO is 100* better
Have you actually WATCHED him play a game for Sandy this year? Trust the coach, he is no fool and hasn't let us down yet.

In regards to Goose, I still have some serious reservations after having actually WATCHED him play. Not saying he cannot break into the team, just saying that I still have reservations as to whether or not he can play a role for us anymore. Time will tell......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
chook23
Saintsational Legend

many still picture the 2004-5 version of Goose

Will be lucky to play many more AFL games IMO

has the turning circle of the QE2

has plenty of grunt at VFL level but leg speed and agility impacted further to the negative through horrific injuries

a great work horse but would labour at AFL level.....

match committee 0ver 14 weeks have considered him not yet up to speed

Will he ever be at the highest level

will power wants to but can the body do what is required

After today...highlighted the last sentence again.

real shame but can and has happened to a many players as a result of a series of serious injury
Last edited by chook23 on Sun 05 Jul 2009 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:many still picture the 2004-5 version of Goose

has plenty of grunt at VFL level but leg speed and agility impacted further to the negative through horrific injuries

Great post chook. I am a MASSIVE Goose fan. However, much like Nathan Brown after his injury, I fear that Goose's best is behind him now. He is a metre behind his opponent when he plays in defense. I could see him in a forward role (maybe), but not good enough to replace anyone currently in our team. He is running out of options. I hope to be proven wrong.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

that may well be..

However with the Cats game out of the way sometime in the near future I suspect that he will be given the opportunity to show if he can make it or not at AFL level...

Walso be nice for him to get the 100 up...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

He definitely has to have the opportunity by the Saints to make it back to AFL level this year. Question is, who do you drop and when do you play him? Ross won't drop someone just to give Goose a go.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

that may well be..

However with the Cats game out of the way sometime in the near future I suspect that he will be given the opportunity to show if he can make it or not at AFL level...

Walso be nice for him to get the 100 up...
If he gets a game I dont think it will be because it will get him to 100. He needs to play well and probably hope for a drop in form from some other players. At the moment forgetting team balance he is probably 28-32 on the list.

OneGram
Club Player

gold coast?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As someone mentioned, Geelong probably isn't the best game to return to AFL level and get his confidence up. I think he will get his opportunity, perhaps next week against WCE...

I don't think we have any reason to suspect Ross Lyon is a character that would lead a player along, if he says he is part of the Saints future then I believe him.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

The Goose is 25, he potentially has 5 years to play. He not getting a game atm but a week is a long time in footy.

This time last year people on here were writing obituaries about Michael Gardiner... :roll:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

structure is what is keeping goose out.

being an aerially strong key position player, like kosi he is limited in the number of positions he can play (chb, chf or maybe fb or ff).

and at the moment all our key position players ... dawson, blake, kosi and riewoldt ... are in good form.

could he play as a third tall forward or mobile second ruck? the judgement from the club seems to be no.

aussiejones
Club Player

He will be back soon ... this aint the week for obvious reasons

OneGram
Club Player

given that he is supposedly in full health and not getting a game under Sos one would feel that he is primal candidacy for a spot on the GC17 list... .... ?????

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:The Goose is 25, he potentially has 5 years to play. He not getting a game atm but a week is a long time in footy.

This time last year people on here were writing obituaries about Michael Gardiner... :roll:
Great post.

Give the Goose a go - this was the week to do it. Disappointing we didn't. I'd like to see him play at least five senior matches before the season is out.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.