Sponsors Match Day Experience

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sponsors Match Day Experience

Well I was lucky to score one of the prizes and upgraded by buying an extra ticket for my eldest daughter.

Was quite surprised to arrive though and find that nothing was really done in particular for Player sponsors except Bruce Eva acknowldeged the sponosrs a few time as part of his MC-ing.

Basically everyone was in the one very long and large Rob Harvey room...together with the 300 Club, Corporate Sponsors and anyone else that paid for a seat on the day.

You just sat anywhere that was not reserved.

Players oddly were all seated together and not with the Player sponsors which to me was very disappointing and worked against the spirit of being a Player sponsor.

I though that the Club could of as a minimum had all the Players sponsors on designated tables so that there would have then been a common point of discussion....with hopefully a player or two on each table.

However the day was billed asa Match Day Experience...and so that is what it was rather than Players Sponsor Function.

Bruce Eva interviewed Cahill and steven on stage which was good..and as was a lot quieter than the SC after games you could hear them clearly.

Bruce also interviewed Nathan Burke.

Now my disappointment at how the day was arranged was more than offset for me personally as I was lucky enough to have Nathan Burke sit at the table that I had randomly chosen and this allowed a good long chat with him about all many of things from days at Moorabbin to the new Training base, to player recovery etc etc..

So all in all was a good day for me.

But the seating outside is full of Theatre goers..so it will be good to be back in the SC are on Level 1 for the Dogs game. :wink:
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 20 Jul 2009 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne

I too attended the sponsor function, and purchased an additional ticket for my grandson.

I must say, that any day one watches your team drop the daks of Adelaide from possibly the best view in the entire stadium, has got to be a bloody good day.

However, anybody considering forking out one and a half thou to sponsor a player and expecting to get appreciated for their efforts is in for a very disappointing day indeed.

There was no "meet and greet" service, not even a welcome sign in the Rob Harvey room. You stood like a shag on a rock trying to get someone's attention to find out what the procedure was, until one gives up on that and decides to take the "F*** it I'll just go and sit down" approach.

Finding a table without a reserved sign on it, you sat down in trepidation expecting to get evicted by some club sponsor heavy-weight at any time.

Eventually we tracked down a very nice lady selling raffle tickets and she gave us the drum as to what went on.

The meal was served out of a series of warming containers attended to by Etihad staff. All the containers faced away from potential diners as if to hide their contents, so you had not the slightest suspicion, until you examined other diner's plates, what was on offer. It was a choice of Roast Beef or Roast Lamb (depending on which queue you were directed to, with no choice) and seasonable vegetables. I am not sure which starving third world nation the Etihad staff came from, but wherever it was, they obviously had the strong belief that Australians ate far too much.

After a serve of one sliver of carrot, one sliver of parsnip, a piece of pumpkin no bigger that a stock cube and two potatoes the size of small marbles, one was given a broad grin by the staff as if to say "That meal will keep your family for a week". In order to get a serve that was the equivalent of a $5 senior’s lunch at a suburban hotel; one had to be downright rude to the staff and refuse to retrieve your plate until more was put on it. And if, at the end of your meal, you wished an extra bread roll, the staff’s inward intake of breath through clenched teeth sounded like some giant balloon deflating.

After the meal had commenced, a group of players were led in with all the resembling attitude of a herd of cattle at the abattoirs. They sat separately, kept to themselves and were decidedly uncomfortable with their presence. There was no X on recovery, no recuperating Gardi, and no keen and eager Goose. The only player with senior experience there was Leigh Fisher.

Two players were interviewed by Bruce Eva; Cahill and Steven. The questions were not challenging or informative, and the expected answers were telegraphed to the players by the manner in which Bruce asked them.

At this point recognition was finally given to the player’s sponsors en masse, and special mention was made of the Angels effort in sponsoring four players. No mention was made however of Saintsational’s five player sponsorship.

I finished off the afternoon with a soft drink, which I had to buy at full Etihad food-stall prices.

One does not sponsor a player for fawning obeisance; but recognition and a welcome would not be out of place. A red, white and black balloon on a table does not a St Kilda function make. Where were the St Kilda serviettes, little giveaways for the kids, interaction between sponsors and players?

Overall, a pretty disappointing day, except for the result, and the fact we thrashed the Crows.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If you had read previous threads on this room you wouldnt have been that disappointed because you would have realised how poor it is in there. Having said that I would have thought players would have sat with their sponsors. A very overated and overpriced room.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing to hear guys.

The club would have read these thoughts this morning and I hope would be thinking of ways in which they can look after sponsors.

It's a very important part of the match day service, as well as the fabric of the football club.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 21 Jul 2009 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

GrumpyOne

evertonfc wrote:
The club would have read these thoughts this morning and I hope would be thinking of ways in which they can look after sponsors.
I sincerely hope so.

My son is in with Carlton sponsors, and his son, the same one I took yesterday, comes home with give-aways, autographs, the full bore from their functions.

What did he get from yesterday's events......... Bored. :cry:

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I was also a first timer there yesterday and thought it was very average.

The meal was the most disappointing part. The portions were absolutely tiny. I didn't know they grew potatoes that small.

The view from level 2 and our awe inspiring team was brilliant.

Has anyone picked up their "sponsorship" memorabillia yet? What is it like??

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
JT
Club Player

signed picture of the player.

asiu

hmmmm

bit piss poor

catch up management.....ffs

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing but not surprising IMO. It's all about the money in the end. We can delude ourselves as much as we like about how the club values us etc. but the bottom line is that they only give a F*** about the money when it comes to members.
It correlates with the attitude of the AFL in general. I heard Demetriou waxing lyrical on the weekend about what a leveler our great game is and how once you come to the footy the white collar worker is exactly the same as the blue collar worker and everyone's equal. What a crock of shyte. Very clearly some, the ones with the money, are more equal than others.
It's evident across all aspects of footy going, from the food prices and the policy on not bringing food in, to corporate boxes and the best seats to the way GF tickets are distributed to the sponsors' lunch experience described above.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Don't get me wrong..the whole deal is mainly about raising money...and in supporting the club....and this is why all have put in. So I don't expect any extra overheads that would extract from the fundraising.

However for very little effort a few things would have engendered a much better "experience".

1/ Just reserve some of the tables TOGETHER for all the player sponsors. ie not just those from SS but all the sponsors...as this would give a common talking point.

Would not require any extra cost bar a few signs on tables..and just a few minutes to organise.

2/ Now not all players could be there as many were playing. But either seat some of the players at these tables for lunch.....or more simply just have say half an hour where the players than can attend can network with the player sponsors. This could be in "roped" off area..and would allow a brief chat and the kids to get autographs.

The half an hour meet and great may work better as player numbers are limited...and as the players are on the younger side....so sitting at a table "alone" for two hours may be a bit daunting.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

JT wrote:signed picture of the player.
Yeah I pick mine up today...

Not too bad and the frame is professionally made...

It would cost very little more for a framed and signed jumper of the sponsored player IMO

But I am happy with it.

One does wonder if the Club had chosen to the MCG as our home venue instead of the Docklands and just what the meal service would have been like at the an MCG match day experience....

Disappointing to hear that Saintsational did not get a mention for sponsoring five players this year, one would have thought it should have been mentioned as they did with The Angels...

But I guess The Angels are a part of the Club and we are on the outer some what.

In any case it is still disappointing

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
noblejohn
Club Player

Re: Sponsors Match Day Experience

saintsRrising wrote: But the seating outside is full of Theatre goers..so it will be good to be back in the SC are on Level 1 for the Dogs game. :wink:
What is your problem. That's a couple of times you've had a go at fans (fellow saints fans) that sit on level 2.
We've had level 2 seats for years now and the people around us are as passionate as any others seated around the ground.
We save during the year to purchase seats that are the best viewing seats at the ground.
You are inferring that we are not football fans or supporters. What crap!
Fair Dinkum,
Never been to the theatre in my life :roll:

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

noblejohn wrote:[You are inferring that we are not football fans or supporters. What crap!
Fair Dinkum,
Never been to the theatre in my life :roll:
What's wrong with going to the theatre??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

noblejohn wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: But the seating outside is full of Theatre goers..so it will be good to be back in the SC are on Level 1 for the Dogs game. :wink:
What is your problem. That's a couple of times you've had a go at fans (fellow saints fans) that sit on level 2.
Er no.....

Level 2 goes right around the ground :idea: My report was on a specific are and not the whole of level 2.

The area I was in had hardly any barrackers. Just people quietly watching the game (apart from the "supporter" behind me bagging the Saints gameplan the whole time he was there...though thankfully most of the second half he was not).

Now the area you were in may well be very passionate (hence your report)..but the part I was in was not.

I was requested to make a report on the "match day experience"...and for me at least reporting on where I actually watched the game from is clearly part of the "experience".

Where I was sitting Aisle 35 was very quiet....it was like attending a comedy where I was the only one laughing.

Compared to sitting in the MW on Level 3, or the SC, or indeed most areas I have say or stood in for the last 3 decades the ambience was lacking, but yes the view was good.

I have also sat in the Medallion club a number of times..and again while the view is good..the ambience has lacked.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 20 Jul 2009 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

noblejohn
Club Player

Most of the area in front of the harvey room is reserved social club and as such these areas are as passionate as any. Some pockets in this area for some reason is available for purchase to anyone and quite often contains opposition fans as well as saints fans who have purchased L2 seating for the day. Can't vouch for them but those around us are as fanatical as the rest of you :)

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

noblejohn wrote:Most of the area in front of the harvey room is reserved social club and as such these areas are as passionate as any. Some pockets in this area for some reason is available for purchase to anyone and quite often contains opposition fans as well as saints fans who have purchased L2 seating for the day. Can't vouch for them but those around us are as fanatical as the rest of you :) [/b][/i]
Again I was talking about where I was seated for a particular game.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:.

Disappointing to hear that Saintsational did not get a mention for sponsoring five players this year, one would have thought it should have been mentioned as they did with The Angels...
nice
saints fans (who are prob already members too) digging into their pockets and not even a thank you?

:?

GrumpyOne

noblejohn wrote:Most of the area in front of the harvey room is reserved social club and as such these areas are as passionate as any. Some pockets in this area for some reason is available for purchase to anyone and quite often contains opposition fans as well as saints fans who have purchased L2 seating for the day. Can't vouch for them but those around us are as fanatical as the rest of you :)
Agreed. I was there, and the Saints fans around me were as passionate as MW fans, but because of the "refined" atmosphere, are not as vocal.

But as John says, for some inexplicable reason, fully fledged Crows fans were allowed to sit in the area.

One has to ask, is this our home ground or not? It is appalling that opposition members are allowed to purchase and sit in front of the holiest of the holy places, the Robert Harvey Room. Does our club have any balls other than those kicked on the field? As big crowd drawers to Etihad, we should be entitled to some priveleges there.

If not...... F*** them all...... lets go back to Moorabbin and play there. :x

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Let the club know. Both your posts are well written and should be sent on to the club. Don't just expect them to come here and read them.

Disappointing to think that we can't get this right. Sorry it wasn't a better day for you.....but we smashed the Crows ;)

older saint
SS Life Member

While not having been involved in player sponsorships or attend such a function I am not surprised by the comments provided above.

Having dealt with other clubs through business and also spoken to associates and what happens at their club StKilda, in what it provides to its members and minor sponsors is poor in comparison to many other clubs.

The lack of player interaction with those who are helping pay their wages is a by product of the direction provided by the board and those involved.

The fact that only this year has a recognition of years of membership been introduced, when many other clubs have been doing it for several years, shows there is a lack of consideration to this extremely valuable asset of the club, which is continually encouraged to put their hand in their pocket.

I love the club and having been a long time member will continue to support it, however the faults and considerations are glaring and provide an explanation as to why the membership falls so much when we have struggled. If people get value, more than game entry and a scarf, they will continue to pay regardless of results, but if the value is not clear then as much as we are rising we will fall if/when the cycle turns.

GrumpyOne

fingers wrote:Let the club know. Both your posts are well written and should be sent on to the club. Don't just expect them to come here and read them.
Senior people at the club have been directed to this thread and have read it. Their initial response was to say that the comments were not in accord with their experiences. The matter is however being pursued further, and will be brought to board attention if the deficiencies are not acknowledged and an undertaking to rectify them is not received.

We are not anti-Saints here, we love the club and want it to prosper more than any other, but sponsorships are a competitive field and we want the Saints to match what other clubs are doing to encourage sponsorship. They are clearly not as competitive off the field as they are on.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
fingers wrote:Let the club know. Both your posts are well written and should be sent on to the club. Don't just expect them to come here and read them.
Senior people at the club have been directed to this thread and have read it. Their initial response was to say that the comments were not in accord with their experiences. The matter is however being pursued further, and will be brought to board attention if the deficiencies are not acknowledged and an undertaking to rectify them is not received.

We are not anti-Saints here, we love the club and want it to prosper more than any other, but sponsorships are a competitive field and we want the Saints to match what other clubs are doing to encourage sponsorship. They are clearly not as competitive off the field as they are on.
Well done.

The Craw
Club Player

I was also a recipient of the match day tickets. I went along with my lovely partner and purchased 3 additional tickets for my kids.

I went with low expectations and as a result was not let down.

To be honest we had a great time. My kids ran around and sought out players for signatures, I knew we were going to have to pay for dinks and as such prepared for it. We did not have a problem with food...the kids went back 3 times and our plates were piled up with food and could not eat it all.

My only gripe would have been the structure of it all, it was all very informal and not enough recognition was given to sponsors. I think it would have been a great opportunity for some networking on business level as well.

Anyway we had a great day, awesome seats, the kids loved it and we won.

But speaking of catering....went out to by some chips at the end of half time for the kids and was told they had run out....32000 crowd....I mean WTF???

I have been to numerous corporate sporting functions and the best one was the basketball.

Nothing fancy but heaps of party pies, sausage rolls wontons etc...And really for a twilight game that is all that is needed.

Not Craw, CRAW!
GrumpyOne

The Craw wrote:I was also a recipient of the match day tickets. I went along with my lovely partner and purchased 3 additional tickets for my kids.

I went with low expectations and as a result was not let down.
Thanks for your contribution to the thread Craw.
I went with low expectations and as a result was not let down
But isn't it hugely wrong that you went there with low expectations?

I have since checked with people who have gone to Carlton and Hawthorn sponsor events, and the care and attention that they get there shames our stingy efforts.

hellorocky
Club Player

I also attended the function on Sunday with my husband and son as part of the Twin City Saints’ sponsorship of Ben McEvoy.

My initial thoughts were that it was a strange time to do a meal, half way between lunch and tea. I think a day or night match would have been better.

I enjoyed the view from aisle 35 L2 but didn’t like the crow fans on 34 which I assume can alternate between any opposition team depending on who we play. There wasn’t a lot of chanting, clapping, flag waving etc but again, I assume it was because most people were not in their usual comfort zone.

I was also disappointed with only 2 sponsors being mentioned. When you look at the sponsorship list, the Angels sponsor 5 players but so do saintsational.com. The Angels have a small membership fee and have access to players for fund raising purposes and functions. Saintsational is basically a bunch of friends (and enemies) putting money together for no benefit and I think it is a great effort. Also, there are 4 supporter groups that sponsor players plus a few more groups like the cheer squad, past players etc. Most (but not all) of the other sponsors would be companies making tax deductible donations.
My point being that the SS sponsorship should be acknowledged, I can only think that it wasn’t mentioned as it may clash with the AFL’s official partner – Bigpond.

The previous week, 4 of us went over to Perth. We met Ben at the airport and wished him well for the game, we cheered for him to kick a goal in the 4th quarter, but sadly it wasn’t to be. On Sunday he again spent quite a bit of time on the ground and around the forward line during the last q. I had the best seat in the house and will always remember his 1st goal.