turn off time ?- '97 G/f - WEd on fox

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Locked.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I caught some of the 2am version and it was great to see some of the guys again, like Browny (if not for Tim Watson coaching us, he may still be playing for us) Rocket Keogh, etc.
One big difference between then and now is the kicking efficiency. So many of our kicks forward were ordinary and that was just in the first half, when we were in front. If a side kicked that badly now, they'd probably be lucky to have scored.
I'm glad it was on, though, because it is a very good reminder that unless we're holding the cup on Grand Final day, we haven't won it. We'd won 10 in a row (mostly very easily) leading into that game and were the shortest priced favourites in something like 25 years. We'd just thrashed the supposed next best team, in the Prelim and yet it still didn't guarantee us a premiership. As well as we're going now, we aren't over the line yet. A lot can happen in the next 8 weeks. Even if we make the GF and don't play Geelong, we won't be over the line until we are. Then we can celebrate and take the foot off the gas. Do so before then and we may feel like we did that day again.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
aussiejones
Club Player

Watched till 3/4 time..

Good to see old faces playing .....Banger , Peckett, Aussie.

Not a good game at all , no skill , style and run on etc.

Reminder of why I hate Jarman.

OMG dont let that happen again !!!!!!

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:that game just rams home that niggling doubt in the back of my mind.
The '97 Saints were awesome, we smacked most sides that year.
Got into the finals the easy way, and yes we lost Everitt, but Cook came into replace him.
The crows made it to the GF the hard way, and they were without Modra and that Jarmin guy was making up the numbers on reputation alone.
The last quarter was always going to be about determination, and we lost the battle above the neck...
Ended the StKilda careers of the Wakelins and Shanahan.
But good to see Jason Heatley again, he was one of THE most accurate goal scorers ever to pull on a Saints jumper.
I'm not one to nitpick but some of what you wrote here was just plain wrong.

1. Everitt was the best ruckman in the competition that year. Cook was a second-stringer from Fitzroy that Brisbane didn't think twice about rejecting. No comparison. Also, we lost Vidovic in round 22 which further hurt our ruck depth.

2. Darryl Wakelin was one of our best in this game. Shane didn't even play. They were both on the list for another three years before Malcolm Blight (ironically) delisted them. This game had no effect on their futures at St Kilda.

3. Exactly what is an 'easy way' to get into the finals, let alone finish first on the ladder?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
asiu

i never understood the sisters getting the sack

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

At least we effectively got Aaron Hamill to the club in exchange for Darryl. Delisting Shane was one stupid move. Cost us many games, I reckon.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Didn't watch it. It clashed with Hogans Heroes.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

B W and R all over wrote:
sunsaint wrote:that game just rams home that niggling doubt in the back of my mind.
The '97 Saints were awesome, we smacked most sides that year.
Got into the finals the easy way, and yes we lost Everitt, but Cook came into replace him.
The crows made it to the GF the hard way, and they were without Modra and that Jarmin guy was making up the numbers on reputation alone.
The last quarter was always going to be about determination, and we lost the battle above the neck...
Ended the StKilda careers of the Wakelins and Shanahan.
But good to see Jason Heatley again, he was one of THE most accurate goal scorers ever to pull on a Saints jumper.
I'm not one to nitpick but some of what you wrote here was just plain wrong.

1. Everitt was the best ruckman in the competition that year. Cook was a second-stringer from Fitzroy that Brisbane didn't think twice about rejecting. No comparison. Also, we lost Vidovic in round 22 which further hurt our ruck depth.

2. Darryl Wakelin was one of our best in this game. Shane didn't even play. They were both on the list for another three years before Malcolm Blight (ironically) delisted them. This game had no effect on their futures at St Kilda.

3. Exactly what is an 'easy way' to get into the finals, let alone finish first on the ladder?
1: the point about Everitt was that we had a replacement, how do you replace a Coleman medallist???
2: have a look at the list clean out after the 97 GF, you would think that game would have been a building point, but we plunged into a list purge rebuilding period in the blink of an eye.
3: just scraping into the finals, facing an elimination final every game before the GF is the "hard way".

Seeya
HarveysDeciple

Have the original tape from 97 when recorded off channel 7.

Game was being taped whilst we were their, this tape still sits in our cupboard at home. Haven't ever taped over it, haven't thrown it out but haven't watched it.

It just sit's their for some reason..

LovedLintonStreet

I have great memories of that game. It was my 1st GF as I had vowed never to go unless the Saints were in it. It was amazing how nervous and intense you can be just going to a game.

It was a real thrill to be there and see the boys in Red White and Black run out. Growing up in the 80's I had almost given up any hope of us ever getting there, especially after we didnt even get to one with Plugger up front.

The National Anthem, Aussies run and goal, Big Barry kicking a couple in a row, leading at half time. Loved it....my memory gets a bit fuzzy after that.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
not for me...i have never watched a replay of that game...and i never will.......

I'm with you on that !!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Didn't watch it. It clashed with Hogans Heroes.
A fair excuse if ever there was one..."I know nothing...nothing!!!!" :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.