Tim Lane said :"The record is 23 in a row"??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oneteam
Club Player

Tim Lane said :"The record is 23 in a row"??

Can anyone help me with this please?

On the broadcast, Time lane said that "

"Geelong holds the record with 23 in a row, so it seems that the saints will look to equal that in the first week of the finals".

What is he referring to? I thought the longest streak is 20 by essendon.

Your knowledge please sainters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim Lane said :"The record is 23 in a row"??

oneteam wrote:Can anyone help me with this please?

"Geelong holds the record with 23 in a row, so it seems that the saints will look to equal that in the first week of the finals".

20 is the most in a home and away season and that was Essendon. Collingwood are the only side to win every home and away game but they only played 18. Geelong won the most in a row which is 23 over 2 seasons.

oneteam
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

20 is the most in a home and away season and that was Essendon. Collingwood are the only side to win every home and away game but they only played 18. Geelong won the most in a row which is 23 over 2 seasons.
Ah, some knowledge! Thank you 66.
and did collingwood win the flag, or any of their finals after their 18?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

oneteam wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lost one final but won the flag.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

So, only St Kilda and Essendon have won their first 19 matches in a season. Essendon with 166.7% after 19 rounds and us with 163.8% after 19. And we play each other this week! Spooky!

oneteam
Club Player

thanks 66. so all thge records, - most in a home and away season, most in a row, could be achieved if we win our first 2 finals.
Then, we would see the GF media, all about "can the saints have the pefect season'.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The record for an unbeaten streak is also by the cats and stands at 26. They had a draw that ended the winning run of 23, won their next two and then lost to end the unbeaten streak. If we go all the way this year it will add some interest to the first two games next year!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
mick13
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:The record for an unbeaten streak is also by the cats and stands at 26. They had a draw that ended the winning run of 23, won their next two and then lost to end the unbeaten streak. If we go all the way this year it will add some interest to the first two games next year!
You'd imagine theres a good chance we'd play Geelong in the first round as a GF replay.

Which would be even more creepy haha, playing them to equal their record.

Essendon's streak isn't even the second greatest? I think it's just well known because it was from rounds 1 to 20. And they had a chance to go through the season without a loss.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:So, only St Kilda and Essendon have won their first 19 matches in a season. Essendon with 166.7% after 19 rounds and us with 163.8% after 19. And we play each other this week! Spooky!
yup
kinda like beating the hawks (who knocked us out last year) by the same score (thanks to bobmurray @ http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=54895 ) as the 66 GF

interesting the other side with a record we compare too is the 1929 pies run

maybe we'll end up against them on the last day???
:shock:

synchronicity is weird :?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

So if Geelongs run of 23 straight over 2 season, which by the way in my book doesn't count. How many did they win in each of those two seasons? And when did they do that?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Leo.J
SS Life Member

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:... If we go all the way this year it will add some interest to the first two games next year!
In the spirit of magnanimity, I would be willing to forgo the first match of next year for 25 straight this year. Never one to be too greedy!
Last edited by perfectionist on Mon 10 Aug 2009 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:So if Geelongs run of 23 straight over 2 season, which by the way in my book doesn't count. How many did they win in each of those two seasons? And when did they do that?
What does it matter if it's over 2 seasons or 1??

It's like saying you can't take a hat-trick in cricket over 2 innings, which is not the case.

As plugger stated, the biggie in one season is Essendon winning their first 20 matches.

Go with that if you like.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Tim Lane says a lot of things !!

Very few of them are ever accurate or worth listening to!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:So if Geelongs run of 23 straight over 2 season, which by the way in my book doesn't count. How many did they win in each of those two seasons? And when did they do that?
What does it matter if it's over 2 seasons or 1??

It's like saying you can't take a hat-trick in cricket over 2 innings, which is not the case.

As plugger stated, the biggie in one season is Essendon winning their first 20 matches.

Go with that if you like.
Each for their own saintspremiers, but theres not 6 months between 2 cricket innings. Personnally I think its harder to win 22 straight in one season than over 2.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't matter what you think Saint Bev, facts are facts, Geelong won 23 on the trot.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

I want to go 50-0 then i dont care.

I hope when we win the flag players dont juast get pissed til february and then do what hawthorn did. i read some article the other day saying how from a supporter we'd be rubbish in 2010 if we won cause wed be pissed for month!! f*** that surely the players would want to BACK IT UP show that they arent a one year wonder?? we genuinely have a chance to go back to back why throw it away?? f*** that pisses me off. Time to change the culture saints!! FFS!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:
White Winmar wrote:... If we go all the way this year it will add some interest to the first two games next year!
In the spirit of magnanimity, I would be willing to forgo the first match of next year for 25 straight next year. Never one to be too greedy!
We could have 10-12 out suspended for Round 1 next year.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Besdies on THAT record - its VFL f***** VFL another league away. In AFL the greatest is 20 by essendon and i think its funny we play essendon to equal the record this week. Then if we beat North we will HAVE the record. The AFL ALL TIME RECORD of STREAK WINS. f*** VFL 8-12 team state unfair comp. WHO CARES?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Besdies on THAT record - its VFL f***** VFL another league away. In AFL the greatest is 20 by essendon and i think its funny we play essendon to equal the record this week. Then if we beat North we will HAVE the record. The AFL ALL TIME RECORD of STREAK WINS. f*** VFL 8-12 team state unfair comp. WHO CARES?
So we've never won a premiership?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Besdies on THAT record - its VFL f***** VFL another league away. In AFL the greatest is 20 by essendon and i think its funny we play essendon to equal the record this week. Then if we beat North we will HAVE the record. The AFL ALL TIME RECORD of STREAK WINS. f*** VFL 8-12 team state unfair comp. WHO CARES?
So what is AFL?

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 teams.

How many Grannys have we contested in your esteemed opinion?

Not to mention Premierships actually won.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:So, only St Kilda and Essendon have won their first 19 matches in a season. Essendon with 166.7% after 19 rounds and us with 163.8% after 19. And we play each other this week! Spooky!
It's come up in discussion several times this year - that if we continue undefeated, it will come down to Essendon to defend their winning streak record.

And don't their supporters know it!

I won't bother posting a link... but the majority of their supporters cannot fathom a team going undefeated and seem to expect the Bummers to take us by surprise. :shock:

Have already copped some nasty sentiments from Bummers supporters down at the ol' drinking hole.

I have to say I'm starting to feel very uncharitable towards opposition supporters as this winning streak continues. If I hear one more comment about who Geelong or Hawthorn were missing from their side... !! :x

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
oneteam wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lost one final but won the flag.
Collingwood actually lost the first final (semi final) against Richmond however because they finished top of the ladder they went straight into the Grand Final - Richmond still had to go thru a Preliminary Final which they won - they were then beaten by Collingwood in the Granny

It was a strange system back then - In 1913 we actually beat Fitzroy by 25 points in the Grand Final however because they finished top they were able to challenge us again - they did and they beat us by 13 points - if the Roys had of won that first final against us then that would have been it

Would be nice if they brought back that system just for this year

Actually on second thoughts I doubt we would need it anyway :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bozza1980
Club Player

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:I want to go 50-0 then i dont care.

I hope when we win the flag players dont juast get pissed til february and then do what hawthorn did. i read some article the other day saying how from a supporter we'd be rubbish in 2010 if we won cause wed be pissed for month!! f*** that surely the players would want to BACK IT UP show that they arent a one year wonder?? we genuinely have a chance to go back to back why throw it away?? f*** that pisses me off. Time to change the culture saints!! FFS!
If the players do claim the flag they will have earnt the right to celebrate the occasion. Unfortunately for them, it won't be too long before the quest for another begins in earnest. I also think that they will relish the defence if indeed they have a premiership to defend.

To be fair I think people think back to Collingwood's disastarous defence in 1991 but the professional age has since made this sort of celebration by players a thing of the past.

Thankfully however, this professionalism does not effect the celebratory habits of us long suffering supporters.

aussiejones
Club Player

"I have to say I'm starting to feel very uncharitable towards opposition supporters as this winning streak continues. If I hear one more comment about who Geelong or Hawthorn were missing from their side... !! "

Expect more of this crap.

Who have you beaten ? Well they cant use that .

You rely on your star players ...... Proved wrong against Hawks.

Alternate argument : You have no depth !!!

Saints were once everyones second team .......no longer because we are TOO sucessful ......now the resentment starts because our wheels are not falling off (like Geelong).

Expect to be told we cant win at the MCG !!!!!

Now we are at the pointy end of the season , hopes for other sides to suceed are diminishing with each week .......and the realization is that the Saints are the real deal !!!!!