Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

....its funny how kicking becomes such a factor when a player gets dropped.

Even funnier how we have at least three blokes in the team that can't kick to save themselves.....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:....its funny how kicking becomes such a factor when a player gets dropped.

Even funnier how we have at least three blokes in the team that can't kick to save themselves.....
You miss the entire point of this team this year.

Clint Jones cant kick - he CAN bring genuine intensity and adapt to play the game the way the coach wants every week. He does succesfully play a TEAM role - the reason we have had success to date. For injury/mental...whatever reason......Luke Ball simply has struggled to.

The days of "just pick him cause hes a big name" at St Kilda are over - thank god.

“Yeah….nah””
Winmarvellous
Club Player

I hope he comes good, but agree he doesn't warrant selection atm. Even in the Hawks game his kicking looked tentative. Saying that, I don't think trading him is the answer. He still offers the team some grunt and can be used off the bench if the game requires someone to help Lenny out in congestion.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:....its funny how kicking becomes such a factor when a player gets dropped.

Clint Jones cant kick - he CAN bring genuine intensity and adapt to play the game the way the coach wants every week. He does succesfully play a TEAM role - the reason we have had success to date. For injury/mental...whatever reason......Luke Ball simply has struggled to.

The days of "just pick him cause hes a big name" at St Kilda are over - thank god.

Seems like you miss the point of my post.

Factors such as 'cant kick over 30 meters' come out every time Ball is discussed to back up his omission. Yet those same posters fail to acknowledge we have up to three regular players than cant kick full stop.

Its about cake, and eating it too.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

TBH I think CJ is a better kick than Ball now...never thought I'd say let alone think that. But it's not just Balls kicking. His pace is off as well. Hopefully someone waves a magic wand and we get a little bit of his old magic back. He deserves it for what he's done for the club.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:apparently daniel kerr if we lose a 1st rounder too
well given our first round is only 16th. F oath id take kerr.
the guy is awesome. dont care what anyone says. kerr would be a dynamo in our team for the next 5 years. yes please. having said that. he was rumoured to move last year and signed a new 3 year deal. no way on earth woosha would let him go. so clearly this is bullsh*t.

but if it were true. oh yeah. in a heartbeat!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Intersting that CJ and Mini have passed him. Go figure!

I hope it is fitness, as I'd hate to see him go. IMO.
L ball has done nothing since 2005. sorry

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:I hope he comes good, but agree he doesn't warrant selection atm. Even in the Hawks game his kicking looked tentative. Saying that, I don't think trading him is the answer. He still offers the team some grunt and can be used off the bench if the game requires someone to help Lenny out in congestion.
problem is his wage. salaryy cap remember guys.

luke is probably paid about 4th on the list. but probably ranks 16th + in ability.

we need to find xtra room for zac, gilbo, mcevoy, mini, cj, geary, armo, steven. thats 8 guys asking for pay rises and only max leaving.

something has to give.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Seems like you miss the point of my post.

Factors such as 'cant kick over 30 meters' come out every time Ball is discussed to back up his omission. Yet those same posters fail to acknowledge we have up to three regular players than cant kick full stop.

Its about cake, and eating it too.
Your post doesnt make sense.

Luke Ball - purely from his lofty draft status - has, like it or not, greater expectations than say.....Edddy, Geary or Jones. Ball, when drafted and as a junior was well regarded for long kicking (and goals outisde 50). The expectations of what hes capable of bringing to the side against a role played Jones/Blake et al are far and away greater.

If you have a ferrari running on half output you still dont compare it to a Commodore......when you know what its capable of...

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BaysideSaint wrote:you're all idiots.
here you all are thinking like the media they have turned you into zombies.
luke ball's position is unquestioned.
he is NOT the guy who cant get a start.
he is THE GUY that everything depends on.
wasnt he playing for sandy for a month in the middle of our winning streak? anyone remember thlat. was only july this year guys....

clearly luke evokes a lot emotion and his very popular. hes clearly a top bloke and has ticker the size of phar lap.

but being a top bloke isnt enough im afraid. otherwise id have fred hollows at full forward.

he cant run kick or mark. apart from that hes awesome. hes 26 in the body of a 50 year old.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am sure another preseason will assist Ball in gaining some match fitness, now that he is free from the burden of injuries and health concerns. I am not convinced we should wash our hands of him so easily, he is only 25 and may just be battling through a rough patch.

Rising star nominee 2003
2nd in the B&F 2004
Won the B&F and was named AA in 2005
Captained the team in 2006
2007 345 disposals / 91 tackles
2008 392 disposals / 107 tackles

I think he is worth having around.....IMO
Last edited by SainterK on Fri 21 Aug 2009 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

good call

ive said he might be in trouble before
but
i really hope he comes out and has a belter of a finals series and then this post will be Bump city.
ya know.....it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if there is a little bit of red herring floating around.

starsign
Club Player

There is no doubt in my mind that the coaching and fitness staff as well as Luke will be working as hard as all they can to get this important pin back at or near his full capabilities for when we really need him

surely that's a given!

We don't know the exact details of his problems, we only how they have been manifesting in terms of his contributions to the team on match days

Talk of trading him etc at this critical stage of the season I think is sadly dissrespectful to not only this great clubman himself who has given his all often under physical circumstances others haven't had to endure....but also to those who are working their best to bring about what we all want to see

They are all giving it their best shot , but sadly many here wouldn't be really helping the cause

Wish, pray, whatever , but place a bit of faith that as much as possible is beiing done towards the common goal we all hold

This bloke above most deserves our encouragement and positive vibes to get back to where we need him in September

that's the least we owe him!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Talk of trading him etc at this critical stage of the season I think is sadly dissrespectful to not only this great clubman himself who has given his all often under physical circumstances others haven't had to endure....but to those who working their best to bring about what we all want to see
well said.

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
starsign wrote:Talk of trading him etc at this critical stage of the season I think is sadly dissrespectful to not only this great clubman himself who has given his all often under physical circumstances others haven't had to endure....but to those who working their best to bring about what we all want to see
well said.
+1

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
spert
Saintsational Legend

Let's just be happy that we have a good pool of small-medium players who are competing for positions in the seniors.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:..
Rising star nominee 2003
2nd in the B&F 2004
Won the B&F and was named AA in 2005
Captained the team in 2006
2007 345 disposals / 91 tackles
2008 392 disposals / 107 tackles

I think he is worth having around.....IMO
I love Ball's mental toughness and determination .. but his ouput above is still well down on 2005 - going by the above stats and this year's stats.
He may be physically spent ?

Jobe Watson can collect the above stats with 10 games... he's averaged 38 possessions /game this year against us.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:2007 345 disposals / 91 tackles
2007 disposals per game team rank: 6th
2007 tackles per game team rank: 2nd
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:2008 392 disposals / 107 tackles
2008 disposals per game team rank: 6th
2008 tackles per game team rank: 2nd

but:

2009 disposals per game team rank: 9th
2009 tackles per game team rank: 3rd

he's definitely slipped this year, or the rest of the team has improved and he hasn't done so as much. still time for him, though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:2007 345 disposals / 91 tackles
2007 disposals per game team rank: 6th
2007 tackles per game team rank: 2nd
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:2008 392 disposals / 107 tackles
2008 disposals per game team rank: 6th
2008 tackles per game team rank: 2nd

but:

2009 disposals per game team rank: 9th
2009 tackles per game team rank: 3rd

he's definitely slipped this year, or the rest of the team has improved and he hasn't done so as much. still time for him, though.
Forget disposals. I think efficiency and not getting to enough contests is the key to him not playing. I still think he will play ahead of Armo when it counts.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I realise he is well down on figures this year, however I posted the above to clear up the misconception that he has been spiralling since 2005...

The figures are there to prove that he did better himself in 08 after struggling in 07, so I am sure he can better himself next year.

Winmar
Club Player

Going on this site: http://www.finalsiren.com/Fixture.asp?T ... 2009&Go=Go Luke's averaging just under 20 possessions per game this year, compared to 22 last year. Average tackles per game is exactly the same.

He really hasn't seemed to have much impact in the last few years though, so I've always assumed he must be doing lots of stuff in packs that I don't notice.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:unbelievable. i'm glad the club doesn't turn its back as quickly as some supporters. ball must remain a required player. he will find form again (maybe not in time this year) and with him in the reserves, that's super depth and super pressure on those in the side.

he's also a victim of his own success. he's been every bit as good as armitage in the past two weeks (arguably better). but i don't think either are in our best 22 at present.
Agree wholeheartedly! Just because the guy has a form slump doesn't automatically class him as trade-bait! Far from it!

Trade Ball, get smashed by him later!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:unbelievable. i'm glad the club doesn't turn its back as quickly as some supporters. ball must remain a required player. he will find form again (maybe not in time this year) and with him in the reserves, that's super depth and super pressure on those in the side.

he's also a victim of his own success. he's been every bit as good as armitage in the past two weeks (arguably better). but i don't think either are in our best 22 at present.
Agree wholeheartedly! Just because the guy has a form slump doesn't automatically class him as trade-bait! Far from it!

Trade Ball, get smashed by him later!
Yeah probably, but who could begrudge him from doing that. I reckon he will be back next week after a 35 possession game for Sandy.

Another opportunity awaits!
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I dunno if anyone is prepared to say it but I will.
If we are to win the flag we will need plenty of GRUNT from players - in and under hard workers.
Even if he does not get a kick - or take a mark - Ball will cause that much grief to the opposition in the stoppages that we NEED him there on that last day in September.
I just hope we are getting him right for the last couple of weeks - coz if people think we are gonna get there without ALL of our best in the team, they are dreaming.
If you look at the last 15 mins of the Cats game you will see what I mean - someone still firing when desperately needed - someone who never gives up.
I am not sure Armo or Geary etc can push him out in these stakes.
Forget the next two weeks - if he is not 100% - then let him take it easy.
Afterall, didn't he get number 1 in possessions against Hawthorn - not long ago? :shock:
Shoort - memoorieees ....

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:

Afterall, didn't he get number 1 in possessions against Hawthorn - not long ago? :shock:
Shoort - memoorieees ....
No that was CJ.

However I agree that Ball is not done yet.

But he needs to pull his finger out and fast.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....