Loading phase ends?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Loading phase ends?

I write this as much in hope as the opposite is scary but it really looks over the past 2 weeks that the Saints are at the end of a very heavy loadng phase at training.

Usually these go for about 4-5 weeks or so and the effect is noticable as you go on and then taper at the end with a better fitness base. Working on this theory week 1 was Swans a game which was also hard on the body due to ground size and opposition. Hawthorn gives stars a rest which allows further loading and performance good as players given chance and Hawthorn poor.
Last week and this week the team looks lathargic. This could explain loosing contested ball and also poor efficency in disposal. The number of targets missed and easy goals missed is either mental weakness or fatigue.
Ideally an improved performance next week as the training week should be light (if this is correct) and throw everything at WB(most likely) week 1.

The alternative is players gettign ahead of themselves or us being 1 trick ponies. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the loading theory. Remember Hawthorn lost to Richmond Round 21 last year, no cups given out in August.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Can only hope that is true, as I said we will find out next week, if we come out and absolutely belt Melbourne in excess of 10 goals and look good doing it, we will know.
However, if we win a scrappy affair similar to the Gold Coast game, be afraid.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

I prey you are right as we really will be the laughing stock of the AFL if we can't deliver a GF this year.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Hammer. Nail. Head.

I have complete faith in the coaching staff & feel that we will see a complete turnaround over the next month.

The players look like they're running through treacle at the moment & seem to be playing within themselves so as to avoid injury.

Was very interested in seeing Kosi go into the ruck deep in the last quarter & BJ to full forward. Same with Chips last week playing the whole game at one end of the ground.

Just going through the motions before the real stuff starts in 2 weeks.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

is it a myth

saint4life
markp
Saintsational Legend

It's the only logical explanation.

We've opted to take one step back in order to take two forward come finals time.

We've worked hard to get ourselves in a position that affords us this luxury.

At this stage the only thing that matters is winning that first final and getting the week off before the prelim.

Today's game was about as significant as a practice match.

philtee
Club Player

Snoopygirl, you have the wisdom of the ancients. I saw No. 23 go up for
that last centre hit-out and thought it was odd to have one of your forward line pivots doing the chores in the centre, right when he was needed in the forward 50.

Either these last 2 defeats have been part of the greatest coaching ruse ever
(which started with the 7 outs for the Hawks game) or the Saints really are having some trouble getting players motivated. My tip is the former.

On a day with a flukey wind, and when both teams play the 18-man press and flood, the game is always going to be an ugly low-scoring shootout decided by the rub of the green...so guess who got the best of the day's decisions?

The way I look at it, we're one week closer to that first final with all personnel intact.

The Craw
Club Player

philtee wrote: The way I look at it, we're one week closer to that first final with all personnel intact.
Yep, no need to worry about hunger, as soon as the finals start it will be back in spades.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What a load of cobras.

The only thing affecting us is that they are all playing too carefully.
They don't want to get injured before the finals.

We have not played like this all year.

Come September we will back to the intensity we've shown all year.

Mind you I still don't like the resting of players, which has contributed to the current malaise. Flirting with form is always dangerous.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell