Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy

He works hard, has a crack- but I'm not sure if Armitage, Geary or Steven wouldn't give more.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Munga
Saintsational Legend

pfft he was very good, composed....very good 8-)

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robert Eddy

dcstkfc wrote:He works hard, has a crack- but I'm not sure if Armitage, Geary or Steven wouldn't give more.
Armo doesn't seem capable of the same run and defensive pressure that Eddy has,

Geary has the run but doesn't seem to have the strength of Eddy yet.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

7 tackles - 3 inside 50's and 1 assist

Thought he did alright and played his part

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
quidnunc
Club Player

You're joking - did I watch a different game.

I'm prepared to get howled down but I would think Max H and Jarryn G would be good replacements for Raph C and R Eddy - I'm only offering what I believe can better a chance at glory!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Eddy had his moments today, did a few good things.

If someone was to be brought in, I think it would be Eddy's spot at risk. But he wasn't bad today.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Eddy was given a task today and that was primaly to be a forward tag on Maxwell...

It's not a role he would be accustomed to, but did a fair job IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
widereceiver
Club Player

I thought Eddy was valuable in a negating role. Wish he could kick better.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Nick_Stone29
Club Player

No doubting he has a crack and lays tackles but surely he is not going to win us a Grand Final . The following players provide much more Dempster, Geary, Armitage & Steven . We have been lacking another goal kicker especially the last month & i was totally horrified to see this guy selected again ahead of Geary & or Armo . Eddy is just not up to it !!!

Anyway... Ross the boss must see something a lot of us arent so its hard to be critical when the side is 21-2. Also now after a good win he will ne reluctant to make changes.

Alfie Hewsdale
Club Player

eddy a running machine

If you watch Eddy during the game, he runs and presents constantly, Always offers an option for next kick but for some reason is rarely used.
Has Ross invented the decoy midfielder?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: eddy a running machine

Alfie Hewsdale wrote:If you watch Eddy during the game, he runs and presents constantly, Always offers an option for next kick but for some reason is rarely used.
Dunno about invent, but you are right, that is his role. I suspect it is his ability to adjust to a role, albeit a negative one, that Ross likes and is the reason he gets a game ahead of Jarryn Geary - who has more skill. David is still way too slow which he does not make up for with exceptional skill (eg Sam Mitchell) and Jack way too inexperienced, but will be a player.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Eddy applies fwd pressure. He also has stamina and his job is to run to space and take adefender with him. That creates space for Kosi and Roo.

Pretty obvious really.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
StPeter
Club Player

I think I must have been at a different game.
I thought it was his usual low output game.
Geary, Armo or Gwilt would all provide more.

avid
Club Player

Eddy's pressure is excellent. The rest of his game isn't up to it.
I would think there's one or two replacements who'd offer more.

karnaby
Club Player

Re: eddy a running machine

Alfie Hewsdale wrote:If you watch Eddy during the game, he runs and presents constantly, Always offers an option for next kick but for some reason is rarely used.
Without seeing him at all this year (I'm away) I fully believe he is there because he plays a role that Ross sees as important. I also wonder if one day we might spring a surprise by actually spotting him up when the opposition least expects it.

From all reports he is a great athlete & I think there is room for one of the in todays game.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Runs his arse off ALL day.

That's why he was in when Ball wasn't.

Must have a hell of a motor...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
undecided
Club Player

We havnt lost when he has been in the team

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Definitley need more goal kickers ..

Definitley need more goal kickers. Obviously EDDY fits the game plan well but I think we need to hurt the opposition on the score board. ARMITAGE is my man to replace EDDY simply because he knows how to find the ball - physically hurt the opposition and kicks goals.

The other small issue from yesterday was the whole team seemed to be too focussed on spotting up the perfect lead inside forward 50. On a number of occasions the player the the ball should have taken the responsibility and had a shot on goal. We let Collingwood off the hook too many mines and should have shut them out of the game in the 3rd quarter.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I think if we can afford to send raph forward then perhaps eddy can be replaced by a more pure midfielder. armo and geary come to mind.

I wuld make one change for the prelim and it will depend on who we play but geary comes in against the dogs to give us small back cover and armo comes in if we play the lions.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Eddy does so many things right, it's a damn shame that his disposal is generally poor. And, as we saw yesterday, his goal-kicking wasn't up to much either.

He doesn't seem to have any confidence any more when he has the ball in hand: he's always looking to lay it off.

I still prefer him to Dempster, who does the same running around negating role but doesn't present enough or tackle enough for mine. But Dempster's disposal - on the odd occasion in which the ball somehow ends up in his hands - is a fair bit better than Eddy's.

I suspect Lyon might push harder to bring Dempster in for the next game: particularly if we end up playing the Lions rather than the Dogs. Eddy would probably be the one to make way, but I reckon that Raph is a little bit vulnerable as well.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I would prefer to see Geary in. Geary started the year off great, scored goals, has pace. Reckon he is the type of player who will lift for the finals.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
matrix
Saintsational Legend

team high 7 tackles

DWOODROW
Club Player

Armo should ask to be traded. How else is he going to get a game. Too many good players, not enough positions at the Saints.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A hard choice between Eddy, Armo, Geary and Dempster or even Gwilt. I think RL goes for Eddy as he has good strength and hits the contest hard. Geary got muscled out of the contests when we played the Cats, so I think he needs a summer on the weights..Dempster still may come in. Armo probably is a bit unlucky, but he would probably do a good job and can kick a goal or two.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

IMHO Gwilt might still be in the mix. He is a better mark and kick than Eddy and does provide some physical presence. Against that, Eddy clearly does the job RL requires. He is obviously the decoy that creates space for the other forwards to work in and applies great defensive pressure. Eddy's probably safe though, given the aversion the match committee has to making changes!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!