the i would rather play the bulldogs than the lions thread.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the i would rather play the bulldogs than the lions thread.

I am probably in the minority here, but i really would prefer the bulldogs irrespective of form, and the 2 teams injury lists- i just feel we matchup against the dogs much better.

The Lions have 2 big, powerful forwards, and a very good midfield and although they are nowhere near the finished product and have an inexperienced coach (with a great footy brain) , they have some big game players in that side.

We put the midfield zone on and strangle the dogs like we did the pies and we win the game, whereas the Lions have the route 1 option of 2 massive targets.

i am confident (not cocky or arrogant or going over the top) and feel that we should overcome either challenge as i have faith in the group and the coaching staff, but i honestly think the dogs are less of a threat to us.

your thoughts?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
StPeter
Club Player

I agree the Lions are more dangerous and have more match winners that are capable of turning a game.

I think we will beat the Doggies if we play at our best although they are a more even side than the Lions.
However there is a definite "home" side advantage if we play the Lions.

marksnsparks
Club Player

Agreed. Lions this year were the first team we encountered that made us feel uncomfortable, work for the win and have to come from behind late in the game. And it was a time when we still had something to play for...

From memory they had some key outs too...Merritt and Black I think?

Joffa 5
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote: From memory they had some key outs too...Merritt and Black I think?
Merritt and Patful I think

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If it was a choice i would definitely pick Brisbane. they will be travelling 2 weeks in a row with players who are carrying injuries and some very ordinary footballers in the team. Granted a few match winners but the Dogs across the board have a far more consistant side.

Geezer
Club Player

neither team scares me.
only 1 team left that can take it from us (geelong)

we have strangled the bulldogs twice already this year and i cant see their forward line kicking a winning score against us. or their backline holding roo and kozi.

they do have more run thru the midfield than us and if we happen to play them (which i think we will) it will be our midfield pressure and half back run to make them accountable that will go along way to determining the result.

their midfield has no defensive awareness. then all run forward and chance their opportunities. . .and in a lock down cut throat prelim .. .wont hold up.

brisbane. . . they played their grand final last week and dont think they are a chance. but with brown and bradshaw this week . . never know.

it will be good to see how the dogs employ tactics against the killer B's seeing as tho they will face roo and kozi next up.
good eye opener for our forwards.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Superboot
SS Life Member

I have my own private thoughts on preferences. Call me superstitious, but I'm willing not to tempt fate by even thinking about this stuff.

Too many times I've hoped we would play a certain team, only to wish we hadn't.

We will be dealt certain opponents and there's nothing we can do about it.

I think it's safe to hope that we play teams who are injury hit, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

GrumpyOne

Rather play the Lions.

They were just about walking wounded after the Carlton game, and the Bullies won't be any easier.

They'll be completely knackered by the time they get to us.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i don't have a preference and i hope the players don't either. they need to have the attitude that they can beat whoever they have to ... as they have done this season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i don't have a preference and i hope the players don't either. they need to have the attitude that they can beat whoever they have to ... as they have done this season.
And we certainly don't need to advertise our preference either, I am sure Geelong were greatly impressed by teams playing off for the opportunity to "beat" them

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I don't have a preference, but I hope Brisbane win on Friday nite - and I reckon they can cause an upset :shock:

Hold your ground :shock: