Do we go with Zac next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Dawson will play, he will go to Minson if he plays forward (unlikely, due to the strength of our rucks and the need to match King/Gardiner) ...

If not, look for the Zac attack up forward IMO.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'd feel safer with max in - if the game is evenly poised with the dogs able to accurately deliver it into our 50 and all backs are forced into man on man then zac could be found out.
the pies were smashed in the mid last week which meant little pressure for our backs and chips had a field day collecting poor kicks.
both rocca goals were due to zac - the first was man on man, the second zac went to bump, rather than tackle the man with the ball, and it was easily dished off to rocca.

that said zac plaayed his part, but it was an easy game for the backs.

If a dog forward steps up big time then i'd rather max was there to nullify him.
if we dominate the mids then yes, zac's better disposal suits our game plan more.
i'd also like max to get a game in before the GF because again, i'd prefer him against the cats.
i don't believe max's inclusion will hurt our chances this week, and think he will enhance our chances next week.
and that little % lift the players might get from the feel good factor of max playing wouldn't hurt either.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
claystreet
Club Player

Zac will play

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Just wondering whether people were questioning the inclusion of Max in the 97 GF? That was Max' first season before he went on to become the stalwart in defence for us. No reason why Zac can't be the same.
Good point snoopygirl, I think the baton's being (been) passed.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I tihnk one question remains: Is Zack Dawson going to hold his head in finals?? I know Max can! ....do or die from here on in...it's a big gamble!
The flip side is will Max physically be able to see out a final, this is also a big gamble?
I agree, I doo worry about Max`s fitness, and I dont see why all of the sudden Zac wouldnt hold his head in final.

I love this club
Mooksy
Club Player

of course we do

spert
Saintsational Legend

No room for Max unless lots of injuries.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

I think we need need neither Max nor Zac for the game against the dogs.

We have more than enough talls down the back to cover any combination of forwards the bullies have. In fact, we have too many talls.

I would drop Zac, and bring in a runner...like Geary to bolster our mid-field rotations

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:i'm sorry to say, that i belive the only way max will paly in the next two weeks (assuming we make the grand final) is if zac is injured or suspended.
Sad but true.

Who's to say Zac Dawson isn't as famous as Max in the years to come, a heart on the sleeve player that in his twilight years may be dropped for a younger more flexible player? It's a Dog eat dog world where any unforeseen injury can literally reduce all of your chances to nil!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

these are the tough calls.... dawson can cover more ground than max i believe thats why he is chosen. Its part of rossys gameplan. maguire will probably be traded seasons end to make way for brad fisher etc. The game is a changin its more about covering ground getting back to help out rather than play one on one tough.... dawson is the pick.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he has a match up, was thinking the same thing this morning.
What do we do with Zac if they go small?

You say its not Max v Zac, but I reckon it is.
Max can play on Minson if needed, as well as Johnson, Hahn and Welsh if required.

I see it as :

Blake v Murphy
Baker v Acker
Max v Minson
Raph v Higgins/Gia
Gilbert v Johnson
Fisher v Hahn

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:Just wondering whether people were questioning the inclusion of Max in the 97 GF? That was Max' first season before he went on to become the stalwart in defence for us. No reason why Zac can't be the same.
Who did Max take the baton from? Troy Gray?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
Who did Max take the baton from? Troy Gray?
How many more games did Jamie Shanahan play? :oops:

Probably his baton...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:I don't think he has a match up, was thinking the same thing this morning.
What do we do with Zac if they go small?

You say its not Max v Zac, but I reckon it is.
Max can play on Minson if needed, as well as Johnson, Hahn and Welsh if required.

I see it as :

Blake v Murphy
Baker v Acker
Max v Minson
Raph v Higgins/Gia
Gilbert v Johnson
Fisher v Hahn
Dont like Blake on Murphy - Murphy will be to mobile/smart.

Blake to Minson,
Max to Johnson (when hes fwd only),
Baker to Akka....played very close...
Gilbert to Higgin/Gia (mobile enough for smalls)
Raph to Murphy
Fisher to Hahn

I would expect Minson to only pinch hit so ideally id like Blake on Hahn as both tough nuts and I reckon Fishers better left to run from defence than to play the pure defender role 1 on 1.

If Johnson goes into the guts - which he will or at least play high - then Max needs to drop off. This is actually where I reckon Max has an advantage over Zac...his closing speed and ability to get a fist in to spoil IMO means hes a better versatileoption for a medium/smaller fwd which the Dogs have a heap of. I dont think Zac could play on that type and yet 1 out still needs some help from Fisher and Co IMO.

Last week against Pies the distinct feel for a while there was that IF the Pies could isolate Zac/Rocca and get the footy in decently....then Rocca may be just about to get a hold of Zac.........I only ever had that feeling with Max when he stood Neitz (who did beat him on more than 1 occasion).

So to hear Ross say IF we play the Dogs it makes it hard fro Max was a little surprising for mine...but Im not second guessing the great man.

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:I think we need need neither Max nor Zac for the game against the dogs.

We have more than enough talls down the back to cover any combination of forwards the bullies have. In fact, we have too many talls.

I would drop Zac, and bring in a runner...like Geary to bolster our mid-field rotations
the saintswill not be changing its sturcture in the finals! every team goes in with a full back the sants will also. and that will be Zac.

Sorry hudgeton. you won't be playing unless zac gets injured.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

maxis fitness is fine
his head is fine

zac went the man a couple of times last week and i thought that it was the lesser of the games we have seen him play in the last 6 or so weeks.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:Minson is hardly worth matching up on he is that useless.
maybe, but he has sharp knees. just ask sam gilbert. :evil:

PJ
SS Life Member

Ross was interviewed at the lions v bullies game on Friday and said Max would come into contension if the lions won but if it's the bullies win it's less likely.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.