Q: What do we need to do to win a Premiership?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A: Suck a lot of c*ck like the Geelong FC have done.

P.S. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

P.P.S. It just seemed as though everything went their way and everyone was riding them throughout the whole damn week :cry:
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 28 Sep 2009 4:36am, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Kicking the higher score in the grand final would probably do it! :wink:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

A bald head?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ace
Saintsational Legend

Kick a higher score than our opponents in the grand final.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:A bald head?
Yeah, steroids could help but do we really want to cheat like Geelong?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Kick straight...

The Saints are coming!
kalsaint
Club Player

1 Maintain the fitness department from 2009 and rely on sustained health of our playing group

2 Have all our key players available at the right time of the year in good health and fitness.

3 Set a lower bar for injury management so that young players can be blooded into the team when injury clouds occur over 2009 senior players.

4 Continue to develop the ability to play 4 quarters of football - this declined in teh second half of this year.

5 Sustain the wonderful pressure game that has evolved this year.

6 Blood some younger players to the team during the season for future development and greater long term performance. I think more than 30 players need to be used over the year to ensure protection and selection of older required ley position players.

7 Return to the success of using small forwards at the fall of forward marking contests. Ths has declined over the year with small forwards moving further up the ground and not having the legs to be at the contest when needed (like today). We weren't potent enough in the second half of 2009.

8 Get the younger sprinter from today into the game at a higher level gradually.

9 Start to develop some more "in and under" type players to take up responsibility from Lenny and Bally. Armo comes to mind. The season is too long to rely on 2 key go getters in the clinches all year.

10 Develop a new leading forward to support Kosi and Roo so the load can be better shared.

11 Identify the up and coming leaders for the club and try to increase their load in the team.

12 Get the new centre completed for the betterment of team fitness in the longer term.

13 Last but not least. Look at opportunity to be more creative in both individual exchanges and in the game plan. Other clubs have and will continue to close the gap on the 2009 Saints game plan. One way to make this change is to blood new younger players.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
battye
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:1 Maintain the fitness department from 2009 and rely on sustained health of our playing group

2 Have all our key players available at the right time of the year in good health and fitness.

3 Set a lower bar for injury management so that young players can be blooded into the team when injury clouds occur over 2009 senior players.

4 Continue to develop the ability to play 4 quarters of football - this declined in teh second half of this year.

5 Sustain the wonderful pressure game that has evolved this year.

6 Blood some younger players to the team during the season for future development and greater long term performance. I think more than 30 players need to be used over the year to ensure protection and selection of older required ley position players.

7 Return to the success of using small forwards at the fall of forward marking contests. Ths has declined over the year with small forwards moving further up the ground and not having the legs to be at the contest when needed (like today). We weren't potent enough in the second half of 2009.

8 Get the younger sprinter from today into the game at a higher level gradually.

9 Start to develop some more "in and under" type players to take up responsibility from Lenny and Bally. Armo comes to mind. The season is too long to rely on 2 key go getters in the clinches all year.

10 Develop a new leading forward to support Kosi and Roo so the load can be better shared.

11 Identify the up and coming leaders for the club and try to increase their load in the team.

12 Get the new centre completed for the betterment of team fitness in the longer term.

13 Last but not least. Look at opportunity to be more creative in both individual exchanges and in the game plan. Other clubs have and will continue to close the gap on the 2009 Saints game plan. One way to make this change is to blood new younger players.
Good, rational post. I agree. Especially on the last point, we had a great game plan this year and we really did need to win the cup this year for that reason... by next year other teams will have "figured us out", so there needs to be some changes to ensure we are still ahead of the pack.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Need to kick straight.

tragicforces

ace wrote:
Really did Geelong cheat? OMG the bastards! What did they do?

hotdish
Club Player

15. Keep our (assistant) coaching staff together:

Silvagni (with us in 2007,08,09) - Coached the best defence in history - surely he will be approached by several clubs

Leigh Tudor - first year with the club - gave us great insights into the cats training, tactics etc.

Elshaugh - not going anywhere...

It will be great to move forward with the same coaching and fitness team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Lack of shots on goal by our small forwards was not the problem. They had ample opportunity to score.

However a "medium" forward in place of one of the three smalls would be most welcome....not that Lyon has not been trying to find one ( Charlie Gardiner, Gwilt, Dempster ......)

Lyon will keep doing what he has been doing:

* evolving his possession brand of football
* developing our existing talent (of which he has done a superb job)
* sift and trade for new talent to continue to improve our best possible 22 (as well as to replace retirements).

Yes some of our opposition will improve. We just need to improve more.

On the younger players they will get their turn...but when their bodies and skills are right.

We have all liked what we have seen of the young Stanley (the guy that won the sprint)...but he needs time to build his body and skills before taking on Ottens.....though who knows he may Tippet like evolve ino a KPP. However Ben will no doubt get a goodly number of games and would be a chance to be one of our two ruckman in our finals team of 2010.

Lyon has mentioned a 4 year apprenticeship....and while the extremely gifted such as Rich may short circuit this most should not be rushed.

If we do make the GF again next year it will most likely be against the Cat's again...and the BIG bodies of Rooke, Chapman and the like await.

Having said that yes I believe that with solid pre-seasons that Armo, and Steven will be given more games.

Geary will be that big bigger and that should make him a better player in 2010.

Lynch we may see...but his body may not be ready fora 2010 finals tilt.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Need to kick straight.
You know what. If we did that, we may just be celebrating instead of reviewing the year. 7 behinds in front at 3/4 time. I'm starting to look at stats and the like after 24 hours of avoiding analysis.

A couple of contested marks would have been nice. Directing this at the other tall forward not named Nick. My sadness is starting to become anger about this player who mysteriously got 11 votes in the Brownlow.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

ace wrote:
Come on now, these kinds of posts can get the forum, as a whole, in trouble.

reincarnated

The Saintsational Man wrote:
ace wrote:
Come on now, these kinds of posts can get the forum, as a whole, in trouble.
Bitter conspiracy style post. Face it we lost. It hurts

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I know one thing we can do.....

Not let a medium sided forward, tear us a new one all day long again.....

For years I've been saying;

"F***ING JARMAN"

Well now it's;

"F***ING JARMAN & F***ING CHAPMAN"

C***S :lol:

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:Kick straight...
works for me :wink:

What will be next from this club ?
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We did everythibng we needed to do to win except finish. We should have won by 3 goals....thats why Bomber Thompson said Geelong were very lucky to win.

So what do we have to do to win....F####'in kick straight....my Mum could've kicked those goals from 15m.

Also: do not select Raph Clark again, accident waiting to happen....bring in Geary, Lynch, Steven, Armo....but leave him out.

Nee!
Gracie
Club Player

Iyengar yoga. And for the coach too. Stamina, strength, balance, focus... :)

Gracie

Just beat it. No wants to be defeated
nobhead
Club Player

Re: Q: What do we need to do to win a Premiership?

Sainternist wrote:A: Suck a lot of c*ck like the Geelong FC have done.

P.S. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

P.P.S. It just seemed as though everything went their way and everyone was riding them throughout the whole damn week :cry:
to many missed opportunities especially in the 2nd quarter we had all the play great preasure and we couldnt put the score on the board.milne and schneider and mcqaulter .dempster in the last quater also missed a relatvely easy snap . cant miss that many shots and expect to win.we cant blame anybody or anything else on the loss.i reckon we need to keep this group of players together and go again next year and if we get here again really grab our chance and bury the opposition.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ummm, didn't Geelong have 15 inside 50's at half time for 7 goals?

Is THAT not a huge concern, even putting aside missed goals?

I noticed this at half time, and put it down to lack of defensive pressure on OUR forward line.

This has nothing to do with shyte goal kicking!

To let a team score a goal from almost half it's forward 50 entries in inexcuseable!

I reckon behind closed doors Lyon will be absolutely livid at the group for allowing this to happen.

Sure, the Cats scored 7 goals 1 behind - and were deadly in front of the sticks early, but they moved the ball forward too easily, too quickly for my liking.

Playing within our normal structures, and this doesn't happen.....and it's all over red rover in our favour even with our shyte goal kicking!

saintly_safes
Club Player

You must make the most of every opportunity your given.Geelong did it last year & we did it this year.We should have been 4 goals up at half time & in a very tight game could have been enough.We made some poor decisions at critical times & that was enough to keep them in the hunt & unfortunately the rest is history :(