Tough? Matthews knew a thing or two.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Tough? Matthews knew a thing or two.

I was watching the show on Ch7 for the post-game wash-up and this "Norm-Smith-medal-with-a-torn-hamstring" issue came up. All the panel were oohing and ahhing over "how brave chappy was" (I think he was very good by the way) Lethal simply laughed out loud and said "torn hamstring? you're joking!!" I dont wish to detract from Chapmans efforts, but the fact that BJ played with a broken collarbone and broken nose without any complaint or media fanfare speaks volumes for how mentally tough our boys are becoming!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

also Geelong Doctor on Monday morning poo poohed Taylors broken hand

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'm beginning to think Bakes should retire before he kills everyone!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

as if in this friggin galaxy you could play a game of football for even 5 bloody minutes with a torn hamstring...at the highest level in the country mind you.
what bollocks
he might have a strain/pull, tiniest of tiny rips like a mm rip
way they are carrying on its like he ripped off its bone

but to say he tore his hamstring and managed to get back on is down right rubbish

imo of course Image

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dipper played against 'em in 89 with a punctured lung and God knows how many other Hawks were carrying injuries after Geelong's attempt to employ the tactic of playing the man not the ball for 3/4 of the game.
They got what they deserved then! Perhaps the geelong coach then should have been criticised more, rather than be lauded today as a "genius"

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

You would think a bloke of any quality would acknowledge that his hammie was only a twinge and that he was not impeded in the slightest. Same applies to Harry 'greatest defender in historyof football even though ball was greasy and that means defending is much easier than usual' Taylor and his soresy wawsey litle handy wandy.

They'll get theirs.

Never liked Geelong. EVER. Hated Stoneham and Brownless and Ablett as a kid and that other ranga that used to run around like a poonce. Just somehing dishonest about them.

And while I'm on it, the lack of humilty in Catophile John Harms' post GF writing disgusts me. Winners are grinners, I know, but fair dinkum, some sort temperance on the post win orgasmic bliss for god's sake. YOU WERE GIFTED IT, PEANUT! YOU WERE GIFTED 07, YOU BLEW 08, YOU WERE GIFTED 09.

Collectively they ain't a blackhead on threepeat Brisbane's date...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

punctured lung, cracked ribs...you can at least move your feet
torn hamstring??
i mean physically..you can still move and even jog?

chapman
great player, but he aint superman

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:as if in this friggin galaxy you could play a game of football for even 5 bloody minutes with a torn hamstring...at the highest level in the country mind you.
what bollocks

but to say he tore his hamstring and managed to get back on is down right rubbish

imo of course Image

bit of a corkie is all...said so himself....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:You would think a bloke of any quality would acknowledge that his hammie was only a twinge and that he was not impeded in the slightest. Same applies to Harry 'greatest defender in historyof football even though ball was greasy and that means defending is much easier than usual' Taylor and his soresy wawsey litle handy wandy.

They'll get theirs.

Never liked Geelong. EVER. Hated Stoneham and Brownless and Ablett as a kid and that other ranga that used to run around like a poonce. Just somehing dishonest about them.

And while I'm on it, the lack of humilty in Catophile John Harms' post GF writing disgusts me. Winners are grinners, I know, but fair dinkum, some sort temperance on the post win orgasmic bliss for god's sake. YOU WERE GIFTED IT, PEANUT! YOU WERE GIFTED 07, YOU BLEW 08, YOU WERE GIFTED 09.

Love a thinline rant. :lol:

That other ranga you speak of was Neville Bruns, no?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bruns was a peckerhead as well!!!!!

Nah. There was another one, I'm sure. A purer ranga along the lines of Ling... name escapes me...

Don't know what is was about the Cats of my youth. I just remember them being so namby pamby (even though history - Yeats/Derm, God/Burke etc - says otherwise).

Maybe it was just the colours or something...

f*** em I say.

Good and proper.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Not talking about that great Saint Scratcher Neal are you?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Remember Matthews having a slight altercation with Neville Bruns.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

He was in the coaches press conference right after the game and said it was a cork :? Made a joke about not saying who did it to him.

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

Thinline wrote: Same applies to Harry 'greatest defender in historyof football even though ball was greasy and that means defending is much easier than usual' Taylor and his soresy wawsey litle handy wandy.
hahahaha :D :D oh that made me laugh. all I have been hearing from geelong people is how taylor was so brilliant....i mean seriously. the fact it was wet stacked it way in his favour. :roll:

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

their ruckman burke maybe....
Last edited by stinger on Thu 01 Oct 2009 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:He was in the coaches press conference right after the game and said it was a cork :? Made a joke about not saying who did it to him.

heard that...hence my post above.....now they are just spinning a yarn...trying to make him look like a super hero ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol at soresy wawsey 8-)

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

The Channel 7 boundary rider, I don't know who it was, said he had been down to the rooms and had his hamstring strapped. The only problem was Chapman was on screen at the time and there was obviously no strapping on either leg.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Dipper played against 'em in 89 with a punctured lung and God knows how many other Hawks were carrying injuries after Geelong's attempt to employ the tactic of playing the man not the ball for 3/4 of the game.
They got what they deserved then! Perhaps the geelong coach then should have been criticised more, rather than be lauded today as a "genius"
Still don't believe that.....

Maybe a few cracked/broken ribs, but the punctured lung is a story I don't believe.....

Maybe it got punctured somehow afterwards, but playing with a punctured lung?

Maybe he did, but as it stands, I don't believe it.

FootyLover

Thinline wrote:...Winners are grinners, I know, but fair dinkum, some sort temperance on the post win orgasmic bliss for god's sake. YOU WERE GIFTED IT, PEANUT! YOU WERE GIFTED 07, YOU BLEW 08, YOU WERE GIFTED 09.

Exactly how were they gifted in 2007??? Largest winning margin in GF history???!!!!! :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:as if in this friggin galaxy you could play a game of football for even 5 bloody minutes with a torn hamstring...at the highest level in the country mind you.
what bollocks

imo of course Image

not just your o. true true true. when u do a hammy u do a hammy. thats it.
i love footy but the media is turning me off with their constant lies. its ruining the game and the young players who think they are superhuman.

i like chappy. he played well. but he did not do his hammy. end of story. i saw him walking normally on the monday on the news. no hammy. no hammy. no hammy. media. f*ck off.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

FootyLover wrote:
Thinline wrote:...Winners are grinners, I know, but fair dinkum, some sort temperance on the post win orgasmic bliss for god's sake. YOU WERE GIFTED IT, PEANUT! YOU WERE GIFTED 07, YOU BLEW 08, YOU WERE GIFTED 09.

Exactly how were they gifted in 2007??? Largest winning margin in GF history???!!!!! :roll:
They played a team that didn't turn up to play and then gave up, dingbat.

No contest.

Gift.

Did you watch? Or were you too busy polishing your Ablett doll?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
what bollocks

imo of course Image

not just your o. true true true. when u do a hammy u do a hammy. thats it.
i love footy but the media is turning me off with their constant lies. its ruining the game and the young players who think they are superhuman.

i like chappy. he played well. but he did not do his hammy. end of story. i saw him walking normally on the monday on the news. no hammy. no hammy. no hammy. media. f*ck off.
I was listening to some medical guys on SEN last week, and they basically said there is no way either. They said he probably had some kind of transfered pain to the area, but no way was it torn.

FootyLover

Thinline wrote:
FootyLover wrote:

They played a team that didn't turn up to play and then gave up, dingbat.

No contest.

Gift.

Did you watch? Or were you too busy polishing your Ablett doll?
Was a legitimate question and you flame in response...Saints weren't good enough this year just like Geelong wasn't good enough last year - that's reality, like it or not...

groupie1
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Bruns was a peckerhead as well!!!!!

Nah. There was another one, I'm sure. A purer ranga along the lines of Ling... name escapes me...

Don't know what is was about the Cats of my youth. I just remember them being so namby pamby (even though history - Yeats/Derm, God/Burke etc - says otherwise).

Maybe it was just the colours or something...

f*** em I say.

Good and proper.
Dude ... you talk of 'Scratcher Neil.' Real ranga, played on a wing. Mank looking sod, he was too. True Geelong-ite. BUT, ironically, played out his final days with St Kilda - went OK for a bloke in semi-retirement.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga