The New Hamill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The New Hamill

It's been a few years now and we still haven't found the next Sammy Hamill.

Hamill was a tough mid-size forward; a decent mark, pretty mobile, good at forward pressure and a real presence down there. He was about 184/95 - pretty short, really, but strong.

His type of player is something we're searching for now. Jarryd Allen (193/87) ain't gonna make it, unfortunately for him. Sean Dempster (191/89) has been tried but doesn't draw the ball and isn't much of a goal kicker. James Gwilt (188/88) has been tried but also doesn't draw the ball, and isn't a big enough presence.

Sam Gilbert (194/84) was going to be there but installed himself elsewhere. Brendon Goddard (189/91) could probably do it, but is invaluable in the midfield. Sam Fisher (191/88) has been down there but it's not his best position.

Kids like Nick Heyne (187/79), Tom Lynch (192/85) and Paul Cahill (192/80) would all need to put on a bit of weight and probably improve their work rate to be able to do it - and they're all only 19.

Matt Maguire (192/100)? Would be a presence, but general consensus is that he's not mobile enough.

We might need to trade for the right player.

Ryan O'Keefe (188/90) is regularly mentioned as the man for the job, but surely he won't be moving now, as he just won the B&F.

I liked Brock McLean (184/86) for the role. Good tackler, hard nut, not a bad mark and can definitely kick a goal. But he's gone to Carlton.

Josh Kennedy (186/93) is coming up in speculation at the moment. Definitely a good enough tackler, not sure about his marking or goal-kicking. Would be a presence from what I've seen of him.

Another one I like, though he's unlikely to move, is Matthew Bate (192/90). Can kick a goal, can take a mark, not a bad tackler - that can be improved. (See Adam Schneider for details of this.)

Who else is on the list for this spot in the side?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Theres only one player out there remotely like what Hamill was and that is Mitch Hahn.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Re: The New Hamill

bergholt wrote:Jarryd Allen[/b] (193/87) ain't gonna make it, unfortunately for him.
That's because he was forced to retire due to injury... So in a way he was the new Hamill :wink:

They walk amongst us...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, Hamil was a 'one of a kind'. Still miss watching him play. He had a strong leadership presence around the club and demanded excellence from himself and those that played and trained around him. He was a massive loss to us when he retired due to injury.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Milton66
SS Life Member

BJ is the obvious choice, if and it's a big if... they can find someone to fill his role.

Even Fisher would do ok.

So, don't just look at possible fwds, look from within our backline.

Jimmy's got some muscle. The thing with Sammy was that he hardly kicked bags, but was more of a blocker who created space, yet was good enough to held accountable by his opposite number.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
boneless23
Club Player

Hamill was crucial to our structure in 2004 and many people forget that if he was fit and firing, that prelim against Port may have been different.

I still can't get over that tosser on here earlier tonight bagging the s*** out of Sammy for being cruelled with injuires....worst kind of supporter IMO.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Theres only one player out there remotely like what Hamill was and that is Mitch Hahn.
Mitch Hahn (188/99). Yeah, he's very similar. Kicks goals, though not bags, and while he doesn't get six tackles a game he has a very strong presence down there. Similar body shape as well. Not as good a mark as Sammy, I reckon, but still decent.

But we won't get him. Who else is out there who could at least go close to filling the role?

Milton66
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:Theres only one player out there remotely like what Hamill was and that is Mitch Hahn.
Mitch Hahn (188/99). Yeah, he's very similar. Kicks goals, though not bags, and while he doesn't get six tackles a game he has a very strong presence down there. Similar body shape as well. Not as good a mark as Sammy, I reckon, but still decent.

But we won't get him. Who else is out there who could at least go close to filling the role?
fcuk it, let's just throw everything at Buddy Franklin. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Batnoe

If we dont get Fev i would love to get both Bate and Everitt for first rounder and Maguire

eppo67
Club Player

Osbourne from Hawks is the one to play that role.
He is an underrated gun Medium Forward who plays "Saints Footy"
They want Goose we should trade for him and it would be a big win for us.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:It's been a few years now and we still haven't found the next Sammy Hamill.

Sam Gilbert (194/84) was going to be there but installed himself elsewhere.
That was what they were building him up for during the pre-season and I reckon it would work. But moving Gilbo to the forward line would incur a huge loss to our backline, as he's far too lethal in defence; if such a term can be used for a defender

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
xander
Club Player

I think Lynch will become very much like Hamill in the future. He seems to be a good tackler and has the height and mobility of a third tall. Plus he supposedly has good leadership qualities.

In the short term i'd like to see us recruit Everitt and either use him up forward as the 3rd tall or send Gilbo forward and us Everitt as a defender.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Stop hitting the panic button. Schneider, Milne, Ray and Dempster have to get better next year and they will or they are out.

We were 5 minutes from a premiership.

Our guys need to get bigger, stronger, more durable and more adaptable. Our backline was magnificent this year but they are still inexperienced.

Next year, this time, we will have played in a GF the year before. Zac, Sam, Sam will have another Finals Series under their belt.

Sure we may have a few new players such as Geary, Armo and Steven but the existing squad will be toughened and ready, if Ross and Mr Misson have anything to do with it.

Goodnight.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Brendan Goddard, clearly.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:It's been a few years now and we still haven't found the next Sammy Hamill.

Hamill was a tough mid-size forward; a decent mark, pretty mobile, good at forward pressure and a real presence down there. He was about 184/95 - pretty short, really, but strong.

Josh Kennedy (186/93) is coming up in speculation at the moment. Definitely a good enough tackler, not sure about his marking or goal-kicking. Would be a presence from what I've seen of him.

Who else is on the list for this spot in the side?
Of the Hawthorn variety? Well, we would use his 1st cousin in the negotiations............LUKE BALL !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Osbourne from Hawks is the one to play that role.
He is an underrated gun Medium Forward who plays "Saints Footy"
They want Goose we should trade for him and it would be a big win for us.
Michael Osborne (178/81). Surely he's more a small forward? 178 cm and has never averaged more than about 4 or 5 marks a game in his career. But he can kick goals and is pretty hard at it.

The problem is that he's 27. It would be dangerous to trade for a player that old. We've already got a big bunch of players around Roo and Kosi's age - it makes for trouble in four or five years when BJ is captain.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Eddy reminds me a bit of young Hamill, just needs to be bit more aggressive. I watched some old bits and pieces of replays of earlier this season on DVD in desperation, and Geary looked pretty good around the ground to me, got in the right position to get the ball as did Gwilt ..used his body well around half forward, got the ball out in contests to allow others to go forward and set up goals -we missed that in the finals. I expect to see Geary and Gwilt back there again in 2010

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Stop hitting the panic button. Schneider, Milne, Ray and Dempster have to get better next year and they will or they are out.
It's by no means the panic button, but this is the time of year to seriously think about the future shape of the side, and of the list. Yeah, players will improve (though Milne is 30 and Dempster is 26 next year), but my contention is that we don't have the perfect third big forward on our list at the moment.

Let's not give away the farm to get one, but if we could get a Kennedy for cheap then we'd be silly not to try it.

How about (we won't get him) Justin Sherman (183/87)? Strong and a great goal-kicker. Maybe a little small but not too bad overhead. He'd be a really good one to get.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Eddy reminds me a bit of young Hamill, just needs to be bit more aggressive. I watched some old bits and pieces of replays of earlier this season on DVD in desperation, and Geary looked pretty good around the ground to me, got in the right position to get the ball as did Gwilt ..used his body well around half forward, got the ball out in contests to allow others to go forward and set up goals -we missed that in the finals. I expect to see Geary and Gwilt back there again in 2010
I reckon Eddy (182/83) is just a bit small and not good enough overhead - not to mention that he just doesn't find the ball when playing there. Geary's 183/77 and similarly just a bit small for the role I'm talking about.

HarveysDeciple

Tom Lynch will be a very good player for a long time for the saints playing that sort of role. Not sure who much he likes the bash and crash at this stage of his career, ala Hamill, but he is a good lead up player, nice mark, works well at ground level and kicks well for goal (ala O'Keefe).

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

No one mentioned in this thread has the leadership abilities, the aura or the mongrel in them to be an Aaron Hamil. He was one of a kind. You will find players that can replicate one or 2 areas of his game, but not the complete package.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

So, we already have Gwilt, Heyne, Lynch & Cahill earmarked for the 3rd forward role.

We all know about Gwilt. Heyne made it on to the list of emergencies for 1 game (? Hawthorn). Lynch & Cahill are yet to play senior footy. Perhaps one of our Zebra watchers can enlighten us on how Heyne, Lynch & Cahill are developing.

The thought that we have 4 guys competing for 1 spot suggests that we could end up with a winner, but which one? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Stop hitting the panic button. Schneider, Milne, Ray and Dempster have to get better next year and they will or they are out.

We were 5 minutes from a premiership.

Our guys need to get bigger, stronger, more durable and more adaptable. Our backline was magnificent this year but they are still inexperienced.

Next year, this time, we will have played in a GF the year before. Zac, Sam, Sam will have another Finals Series under their belt.

Sure we may have a few new players such as Geary, Armo and Steven but the existing squad will be toughened and ready, if Ross and Mr Misson have anything to do with it.

Not hitting the panic button. but all clubs will improve. Bulldogs, Adelaide, carlont, geelong, collingwood all may may get better.

So do the saints.

How do they improve from this year where they won 22/25 games? trade for better is one way as well as improve internally.

the older guys in the team will not get stronger, and may not be more adaptable.

Goodnight.

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

Hamill just had fearless all over him,,i imagine any player saw him coming immeadiatly thought ""f**k""...of the players mentioned above i dont see that same opposition weariness about them.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:If we dont get Fev i would love to get both Bate and Everitt for first rounder and Maguire
Was that Mister or Master??