Mid Sized Forwards to target in trade week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

goods
Club Player

Mid Sized Forwards to target in trade week

Geelong - Ryan Gamble

Who else?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fisher from the scummers

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saintersss
Club Player

stinger wrote:fisher from the scummers
You're joking right?

People don't want Fevola because he doesn't apply pressure, well Fisher is much worse. Not to mention we lost the GF because of poor conversion and well Fisher is a terrible shot at goal.
And finally he can't get into Carlton's best 22, which is screaming out for another target so I doubt he'd be any good in our side. Plus he's not young, so he doesn't have much improvement left.

But I do like the idea of Gamble and we could probably get him fairly cheap.

JABBER
Club Player

mid sized forwards

RL said on3AW last night Cahill,Lynch and Heyne coming through plus Gwilt and others

trevor barker
Junior
Club Player

Cahill struggled to get a kick with Sandringham reserves. Would think it is highly unlikely that he will step up next year.

Hayne for mine has the x factor but would need to improve to have an impact next year.

Gwilt has been tried and failed this year

Lynch would be my choice had a very impressive year for Sandringham, but again would be unlikely to make a difference next year.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I quite like Gamble as an idea... He at least is not on the fringe of a bottom side, but rather the premiers. He is young and has a lot of spring in his game, which is a definite advantage...

I like Fisher as an idea for a little while, but his poor conversion skills is a real worry... He is a great mark, but not a lot else.

Nathan Brown is still an option... he is aging, but still had some good games this year and would benefit from being in a better side... Whist we could expect only 1 - 2 seasons out of him, he could prove worthwhile (until Lynch is really ready). He slowed down this year due to a hip problem which he has since had surgery on... If Saints do their 'due dilligence' on his injury, he could be worth the punt...

Their are also some others worth looking at, but doubt would be on our success at getting them;
- Matthew Bate (with Lynch, we could have two imposing red-hed HFFers)
- Ben McKinley
- Michael Osbourne
- Mitch Hahn

Of those names, McKinley would really be the only one with any chance of moving... in saying that, W.C.E. LOOOOVE to play hard-ball...

SuperSaint
Club Player

Re: Mid Sized Forwards to target in trade week

goods wrote:Geelong - Ryan Gamble

Who else?
I would rather develop our own than go after him. He is a poor shot at goal.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

before the start of this year many would have thought Andrew Mcqualter would not amount to much.

Lynch is a prospect and is a chance to come on next year.

A real pre season after a year.....nice.

Lets be honest, there is not much quality being touted around for this upcoming trade week. All the players mentioned in this thread for example, are pretty much flawed in one way or another.

But still. Will see.

I don't really think we will be that active this trade week to be honest. I think we have some guys to keep working on.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
PJ
SS Life Member

I don't really think we will be that active this trade week to be honest. I think we have some guys to keep working on.
Exactly - if we pick anyone they must be the most sublime shot on goal going around. We have guys that have been picked from the draft last year for this very reason - Lynch and Heyne cannot go into mothballs for another year.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If the deal was in our favour Id grab Gamble in a heartbeat

The only reason hes not already a established senior player is cos hes at Geelong, who have lost 8 games in three seasons.

Played some very good footy in 07/08 when injuries to others gave him a game in the seniors. Dominated at VFL level. 09 quieter but perhaps a bit frustrated at lack of opportunities?

Exactly the 3rd forward we are looking for and gives Tom Lynch another year to develop without the pressure of trying to be our best 3rd forward option

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintjake
Club Player

Re: Mid Sized Forwards to target in trade week

SuperSaint wrote:
goods wrote:Geelong - Ryan Gamble

Who else?
I would rather develop our own than go after him. He is a poor shot at goal.
i remember the days when our own skipper was a shocking shot a goal.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think alot of people get emphatuated with players that can't cut in the Geelong line up. If they were that good they'd be in. At the moment Ryan Gamble is VFL and until he can prove he's better - sorry

goodie
Club Player

PJ wrote:I think alot of people get emphatuated with players that can't cut in the Geelong line up. If they were that good they'd be in. At the moment Ryan Gamble is VFL and until he can prove he's better - sorry
Overlooking the fact Gamble's up against the likes of Chapman and Johnson, Dawson couldn't crack a weak Hawthorn defence last year. Surprising what a bit of faith and a change of scenery can do for a player.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

goodie wrote:
PJ wrote:I think alot of people get emphatuated with players that can't cut in the Geelong line up. If they were that good they'd be in. At the moment Ryan Gamble is VFL and until he can prove he's better - sorry
Overlooking the fact Gamble's up against the likes of Chapman and Johnson, Dawson couldn't crack a weak Hawthorn defence last year. Surprising what a bit of faith and a change of scenery can do for a player.
What goodie said! Seconded!

Gamble is a talent. Deceptive amount of pace, and a decent mark! Always good for a couple of goals a game, and would be a handy addition to our side!

The Saints are coming!
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Only worry is that everyone said the exact same thing about Charlie Gardiner at the time. Similarly Gamble was in and out of the team, when he played he showed some signs without dominating. Charlie was a very good VFL player, won Geelong's best and fairest. Charlie was a good lead up player, could get 10 marks a game, problem is he rarely troubled the scorers.

Carpe Diem
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Not about who may go but about what can he bring
what are Brett Peakes positives?
Harvey said he was yet to speak in detail with the Saints, Cats or Hawks about possible deals but saw that bigger names such as Brendan Fevola and Shaun Burgoyne would dominate discussions early next week anyway.

"Peake is maybe heading towards St Kilda and Drum has been mentioned with Hawthorn and Geelong," he confirmed. "You never really know until the opening of trade week on Monday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

PS I Still detest Trade week and losing players

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
PJ
SS Life Member

You may be right he could work but not everyone is going to do what Zac did, I actually think he's a pretty special player. As someone has pointed out we've tried the Geelong fringe player in Charlie Gardner before so my question is - is it because you think he is genuinely talented or that he's from Geelong or perhaps both?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Someone highly skilled in the midfield, to free Brendan Goddard up to play forward. Even if it's just until Tom Lynch is ready to go.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
elphie
Club Player

we chased O'KEEFE (SYD.) last draft. maybe, try again?
in the end, we purposely chose LYNCH with our first pick and are looking to him to fill that role,as he is clearly a true leading HALF-FORWARD.
he has physical presence of a man to play many games next year. i wonder about his fitness though?

xander
Club Player

elphie wrote:we chased O'KEEFE (SYD.) last draft. maybe, try again?
in the end, we purposely chose LYNCH with our first pick and are looking to him to fill that role,as he is clearly a true leading HALF-FORWARD.
he has physical presence of a man to play many games next year. i wonder about his fitness though?
I think O'keefe would cost too much sydney would probably ask for our first rounder + a young player. I'd be interested in Mckinley or Gamble. I'd probably give up our 2nd rounder for Mckinley he supposedly had a bad year but still kicked 30 goals from 17 games as a second/ third tall.