OFFICIAL: Andrew Lovett - Traded for 1st rounder (Pick 16)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

smilk
Club Player

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

First in with his nickname wins a prize (please, not "Lovey") and for a bonus point, what is his tattoo? (wrist).

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Exactly..its actually not against the law for everyone to be happy with a trade is it not?
Not everyone's a winner. Brent Stanton would have to be dreading the oncoming taggers. :D

Can't wait to see what Lovett can do without the attention he got at Essendon.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

lol at myself, (that was not a clarke bashing)
:oops:

yeah guess 14 is up for grabs... and if by chance i wake up feeling a little less bitchy 9 can make a return.

[/quote]

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Richter
SS Life Member

Just for a bit of fun......

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare ... ing%20Desc

Comparisons between our "outside/running" players - all have between 88 - 168 games played and are in their prime age-wise (23-28)

- Nick Dal Santo
- Leigh Montagna
- Jason Gram
- Farren Ray
- Xavier Clarke
- Andrew Lovett
[- Aaron Fiora (!)]

What does AL add? Pace, Flair, and GOALS.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Not everyone's a winner. Brent Stanton would have to be dreading the oncoming taggers. :D
Stanton or Watson got most of the tags anyway, Lovett didn't get many, but it's sounds good if people say he did so it looks like we got a better deal than we did.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:Stanton or Watson got most of the tags anyway...
Stanton, Lovett and Winderlich all copped tags at various stages this year. I don't think I've seen Watson tagged much. Tagged or not, Lovett got a lot of attention from opposition teams.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Has played 88 games. Is 26.

An absolute jet.

Easily (barring injury) can play 5 years or 100 games of good footy for us. Very good trade from our POV. Not so great for Essendon to be honest in this shallow draft.

We've won this one.
Bloody oath we did!

Have a read from the Essendon website, he had a great year in 09 as well!

Nice to have a bit more black magic in our team also.

Now all we need is pick 14 from the Pies for Bally and we are set!

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/team/player.asp?id=87

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Pazza wrote:Sure Iceman.

Aside from a couple of flogs, as soon as the trade was announced, the reaction to it was utter delight.

Most on here don't realise just how much Lovett has tantalised and teased us over the years and I think people as a rule were getting frustrated by it.

Hence to get a first round pick so unexpectedly is a great result for Essendon. Getting Lovett at Moorabbin was a great result for you guys.

No losers.
From what Ive read on Bomber pages at BF ....I wouldnt say the overwhelming emotion has been "utter joy"......

You got pick 16 in a very weak draft - do you honestly think Mclean is worth pick 11?

This trade equates to a second rounder in a normal draft - id say both parties win.

You wont be shooting for a flag for some time. Lovett wont be in that equatio. We on the other had may be.....have a need for some real leg speed and IMO have the midfield now to ensure Lovett wont be the first player tagged out of a game.......his upside to us is far greater IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
vacuous space wrote: Not everyone's a winner. Brent Stanton would have to be dreading the oncoming taggers. :D
Stanton or Watson got most of the tags anyway, Lovett didn't get many, but it's sounds good if people say he did so it looks like we got a better deal than we did.
According to many Bummer fans he did...

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Stanton, Lovett and Winderlich all copped tags at various stages this year. I don't think I've seen Watson tagged much. Tagged or not, Lovett got a lot of attention from opposition teams.
Noone seemed to want to go near him in Round 20 :twisted:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Noone seemed to want to go near him in Round 20 :twisted:
And no-on wanted to go near him 39 times in Round 8?

Let's blame Bally...

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

great get, Im stoked. bugger if a high first rounder is too high etc etc, ADDRESS THE WEAKNESSES! This shoots one issue right between the eyes people!

QUESTION....

Whats his history with injury like?? :shock:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:Let's blame Bally...
Good idea, but let's not forget who drafted Bally. There's no shortage of scapegoats here.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm taggers, so who would teams opt to tag now...

It's like one of those games at timezone....hammer one down, and another pops up?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:great get, Im stoked. bugger if a high first rounder is too high etc etc, ADDRESS THE WEAKNESSES! This shoots one issue right between the eyes people!

QUESTION....

Whats his history with injury like?? :shock:

Not sure re injury but he's played...

2009 - 22/23
2008 - 17/22
2007 - 16/22

I think some missed games may have been disciplinary...?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
For sure.

I remember Ling, Doughty and Joseph from memory all getting him this season.

Watson is a player that doesn't get all that much attention; for the same reason Ling always goes to Dal and not Hayes; same reason we sent Jones onto Murphy and not Judd and onto Didak and not Swan in the QF.

There are players who when tagged still knock up getting possessions because of where they win the footy - in close - hard to stop that.

The heavy tag generally goes to the 'outside' player most damaging by foot which, at Essendon, were Lovett and Stanton.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
For sure.

I remember Ling, Doughty and Joseph from memory all getting him this season.

Watson is a player that doesn't get all that much attention; for the same reason Ling always goes to Dal and not Hayes; same reason we sent Jones onto Murphy and not Judd and onto Didak and not Swan in the QF.

There are players who when tagged still knock up getting possessions because of where they win the footy - in close - hard to stop that.

The heavy tag generally goes to the 'outside' player most damaging by foot which, at Essendon, were Lovett and Stanton.
Correct LOL...best way to limit Jobes output? Tie one hand behind his back. He'll get done 35 times for illegal disposal when he goes to handpass it

Still a a gun tho

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The sky's the limit with Lovett's potential. He could be a superstar if he got his act together,he's not that far away...

If not we still have a very very dangerous player,with exquisite skills,and blistering pace,something that we need.

I am now excited about next year....have been down in the dumps since last saturday,but we have done well here,I'm excited,and I get the feeling we haven't finished yet,the next one could be bigger.....

Bring back the Lockett era
xander
Club Player

jonesy wrote:The sky's the limit with Lovett's potential. He could be a superstar if he got his act together,he's not that far away...

If not we still have a very very dangerous player,with exquisite skills,and blistering pace,something that we need.

I am now excited about next year....have been down in the dumps since last saturday,but we have done well here,I'm excited,and I get the feeling we haven't finished yet,the next one could be bigger.....
+1
Getting Lovett has been a great distraction from the other bad stuff recently. Can't wait to see him rip it up next year.

bjmel1

I happy with the trade. My thinking is we are not going to get anything at pick 16 that will contribute anywhere near as much as Lovett will give the next two years.(Premiership Window) Also the chances of getting someone as good as Lovett in the draft are very slim. He is a proven performer and doesn't mind the big stage (Milne). His strengths of run and carry with furious pace and goal kicking midfielder really fit our needs/ weaknesses.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh...and another ANZAC day Medallist joins our ranks

Umm..who was the other one again???? 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Oh...and another ANZAC day Medallist joins our ranks

Garry Sidebottom

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
henno
Club Player

my avatar :)

saints 2011.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Oh...and another ANZAC day Medallist joins our ranks

The shortlegged bloke from a few years ago.

Can't remember his name.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell