Lyon staying in front of the curve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

boneless23
Club Player

Lyon staying in front of the curve

We all know that AFL clubs tend to follow trends and adopt game styles that successful teams use.

I can see 'Lyon cages' or variations on them, will be trained and used by most teams next year.

We also know that the only real way to get through this zone is run and carry. Therefore I think Ross is trading for players that enable us to do exactly that.

I find it intriguing that Ross is planning to defeat a zone that he created.

This is clearly the best game in the world!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Clever bloke is our Ross

goods
Club Player

Re: Lyon staying in front of the curve

boneless23 wrote:We all know that AFL clubs tend to follow trends and adopt game styles that successful teams use.

I can see 'Lyon cages' or variations on them, will be trained and used by most teams next year.

We also know that the only real way to get through this zone is run and carry. Therefore I think Ross is trading for players that enable us to do exactly that.

I find it intriguing that Ross is planning to defeat a zone that he created.

This is clearly the best game in the world!!
i thought the zone was created by hawthorn...

Milton66
SS Life Member

Not surprised at all, when you think about it.

We play with the rolling zone.

Other teams will try to replicate it beat us.

Doggies almost did it in the PF.

So if someone wants to use the zone against us, we now have the players who cannot only work it, but also beat it when required.

Makes sense to me.

I'd also add that having more avenues to rebound the ball back into our 50 will only make it aherder for teams than it did this year.

If anything, it will intensify the ffects of the zone.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
fingers
Saintsational Legend

ssshhhh we don't want anyone else to know ;)

Duggie
Club Player

Exactly what I said about two weeks ago. Tried to find my post but its buried somewhere.
Very surpirised if RL has not worked out a new strategy/variation already. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Duggie wrote:Exactly what I said about two weeks ago. Tried to find my post but its buried somewhere.
Very surpirised if RL has not worked out a new strategy/variation already. :lol:
i'll hazard a guess that it involves getting us to No. 1 in offence while maintaining our magnificent 2009 defensive record

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Totally agree with you bigcarl: - They must now focus on improving the offense in 2010 as much as they did the defence in 2009. Remember, we only kicked two goals in the whole 2nd half of the GF. You don't win them with that result!

We badly need that 3rd "meduim" forward on the HFF to take pressure off Roo & Kosi and KICK GOALS. Neither Gwilt nor Eddy seems capable of doing this regularly so I see their places going to Goddard or Ray (he can take a mark) Lovett or Peake for run & carry and kicking GOALS! I hope Lynch spends plenty of time on the weights and get to play in some matches next year to begin to acclimatize him.

The younger guys - Lynch, Heyne, Stevenand Geary, will, I hope, get rotated through some matches during the year so they get exposed to what it is all about. Hopefully that will be against the bottom of the ladder teams and allow some resting of anyone with any niggles.

Fingers crossed on Everitt as he could be another "swingman" like Gilbert can be and give us even more flexibility.