Jesse Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

makemytime
Club Player

Jesse Smith

Gosh I dont know much about this bloke but hes left North Melbourne and he is 23. Apparently, he has elite potential and is a backman that had a breakout season in 07 before suffering injuries.

Read from heraldun that some talent scout rated him very highly, comparing him to BJ.

Any chance we'll pounce on him to strengthen our defence?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Only played 27 games in 5 years. There were stories that his ankle is shot. Sounds very "High Risk" !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:Only played 27 games in 5 years. There were stories that his ankle is shot. Sounds very "High Risk" !!
Yep, heard the same stories re his ankle. We certainly don't need another player with long term and uncertain injuries. However, if Misson says yes, I will back him. Hasn't let us down so far. We had the fittest and strongest list this year that I can remember for more than 10+ years.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

We would most likely have to use our first pick in the ND to get him (32)
If we were to do that, i would be happy that we have bought a quality player to our club, but it would basicly mean we won't draft any good kids this year at all. And assuming we finish near the top again next year, our first pick will be somewhere around 25.

So that would mean we would go 2 years without picking up a quality youngster.

The boy could be anything though, so i'll do the smart thing, and leave the decision to the club, and back whichever option they take.

eppo67
Club Player

+1 if Mission says yes absolutely.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Super talent.

Worth the massive risk.

In 2007 he was on his way to becoming a dead-set superstar.

That's Gibson and Smith now who have decided to leave since Scott's taken over.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Yeah, the wraps on him were very big when he first arrived at North. Would have been drafted very, very high, had he not gone father-son. If Misson etc can work their magic, he'd probably be as good as we'd do with pick 32. He could be the one to free Goddard up to play forward, which would totally ROCK.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 09,00.html

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
ace
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:We would most likely have to use our first pick in the ND to get him (32)
If we were to do that, i would be happy that we have bought a quality player to our club, but it would basicly mean we won't draft any good kids this year at all. And assuming we finish near the top again next year, our first pick will be somewhere around 25.

So that would mean we would go 2 years without picking up a quality youngster.

The boy could be anything though, so i'll do the smart thing, and leave the decision to the club, and back whichever option they take.
This year our first pick will now be 32, but when the 8 month window of kids is considered, that is the equivalent of 48 in an uncompromised draft - late 3rd round.

In 2010 the premiers get pick 25 but the Gold Coast has been able to take 12 kids aged over 17 years 8 months in 2009.
That means pick 25 is worth pick 39 in an ucompromised draft.

The first 17 picks in 2010 that DON'T go to the Gold Coast are equivalent to picks 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 28, 30, 31, 33, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40 in an uncompromised draft. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The 2009 Gold Coast concession allows them to take 12 kids over 17 years and 8 months who would have been in the 2010 draft.
If the Gold Coast refuse to make any trades, the 2009 and 2010 concessions would deliver them the eqivalent out of 2010, picks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 26, 29, 32, 35, 38, 55, 72
They will also have 1 uncontracted player per club.
3 Northern Territory Zone picks in 2010
5 Queensland zone picks for each of 2010, 2011, 2012.
2009 rookie picks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

If they are patient like Brisbane, 6 years later Gold Coast will go back to back to back.
If they are impatient and trade like Fremantle, did they will achieve nothing of significance.
It comes down to the ego of the Gold Coast club president and board whether they want instant glory.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Why would he bother coming to St Kilda when they have no facilities when the reason he left North was because they have inadequate facilities?

Based on his reasoning he'll probably go to the Lexarse centre

Another opportunity awaits!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Would love it if he cam to us, has so much potential.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
suss
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Why would he bother coming to St Kilda when they have no facilities when the reason he left North was because they have inadequate facilities?

Liam Pickering (his manager) was talking on SEN yesterday and mentioned that the conditioning staff had been sacked and then re-employed. I think he was suggesting that this was the major reason behind Smith's problems or at least concerns, as opposed to actual facilities, given that they're just about to finish a mulit-million dollar complex.

It was hard to decipher given that he was talking from the perspective of someone who knew the whole story but who couldn't give to much away.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Moccha wrote:Why would he bother coming to St Kilda when they have no facilities when the reason he left North was because they have inadequate facilities?

Liam Pickering (his manager) was talking on SEN yesterday and mentioned that the conditioning staff had been sacked and then re-employed. I think he was suggesting that this was the major reason behind Smith's problems or at least concerns, as opposed to actual facilities, given that they're just about to finish a mulit-million dollar complex.

It was hard to decipher given that he was talking from the perspective of someone who knew the whole story but who couldn't give to much away.
Pickering already linking him with the Cats...what a flog this leech is......sobiased toward pumping up his own players on radio he should be banned.

The little Ive seen on Jess hes another Ball IMO.......perhaps with a little more zip...

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
suss wrote:

Pickering already linking him with the Cats...what a flog this leech is......sobiased toward pumping up his own players on radio he should be banned.

The little Ive seen on Jess hes another Ball IMO.......perhaps with a little more zip...

Yes of course he should be banned for talking up his own players on radio. It makes sense.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
suss wrote:

Yes of course he should be banned for talking up his own players on radio. It makes sense.
Glad you agree theres a conflict.

For a minute I though you were trying to be 'witty' again with your cutting edge sarcasm......

Did you get that off your last "chat" with Ross?

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
suss wrote:

For a minute I though you were trying to be 'witty' again with your cutting edge sarcasm......

Yes he is a very witty person probably just like yourself.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
suss wrote:

Yes he is a very witty person probably just like yourself.
Well one of us has to be.....as clearly you struggle....

Still....never understood the intent of someone who posts on the internet just to name drop....

BTW had dinner with Alan Jeans last -he said to say hi....

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Clearly you dont understand a lot of things.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Clearly you dont understand a lot of things.
Thats it?...thats you being "witty" again...

I understand enough to know dribble when I read it.....

“Yeah….nah””
makemytime
Club Player

so this is how u guys rack up your thousands of posts :shock:

ummmmmm jesse smith:
The son of former North Melbourne defender Ross Smith, Jesse was drafted as a father-son pick in 2004.

After playing six games in his first-season, Smith had an injury-plagued year in 2006 and didn’t register a senior match. Determined to fight back, the talented youngster played again in Round 6 of 2007 and played all but one game as North Melbourne made it to the Preliminary Final. Smith was a revelation in the Kangaroos’ win against Hawthorn in the semi-final, earning best on ground honours for his 27- possession performance.

Smith was unlucky again in 2008, succumbing to injury after an encouraging start to the season. He would not play again in 2008 with hamstring injuries ruining his comeback after he finally overcame a chronic ankle injury.

Things didn't get any easier for Smith in 2009, injuries again crippling his season. He returned through the VFL reserves in the middle part of the year, but two promising matches eventually led to the number 10 breaking down yet again.

The Roos showed faith in Smith though, offering him a new contract for the 2010 season and reconfirming his status as a required player at the club.

Darren Crocker 2009 review:
It's disappointing for Jesse and us that he's had another disastrous year from an injury perspective. It's just a matter of making sure we get his body right. We know what he can do when he's up and about but his body's not allowing that to happen at this stage. We need to get a good pre-season into him and hopefully that's going to hold him in good stead so we can get him back to playing the type of footy that we've seen at stages when he hasn't been injured.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Because we have the best in the business in Misson and because, if we draft him, he either comes to us, or sits out the game (at AFL level at least) for the next one or two years (until he can nominate for the draft again.) It's out of his hands now, anyone could pick him up, even North.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

if we feel the need to recruit him then pick 60 would be worth the gamble.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I reckon most clubs would be glad to take a punt on him.

At this rate, young Jesse will be playing his 50th game at the age of 32.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:if we feel the need to recruit him then pick 60 would be worth the gamble.
With the quality of this up and coming draft, one feels that he may go before 60 IMO.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!