Tommy Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Awesome news! This is like getting a top 5 national draft pick without having to finish at/near the bottom, or trade someone. Potentially brilliant!
Steady on.

A 'top 5' draft pick is a very good Aussie Rules footballer.
Xavier Clarke was top 5 in the 2001 superdraft.
We gave him away for pick 60 in a compromised draft.
That values him at pick 90 (late round 5) in a normal draft.

But Tommy is going to be top 3 value.
You seem to have 'missed' the point I was trying to make - that he has to learn to play Aussie rules, unlike any other player who is drafted in the top 5.

Has anybody seen him kick and mark?
DOes he know/understand the rules?

Yes he's an exciting 'project', but to talk of him in the 'revered tones' that some have on here? :roll:

A very 'romantic' story - St Kildaesque. :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i tried to register on that irish site to post this link as i'm sure they'd be interested, but you must have to be a member to register.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Rickabee wrote:He sounds athletic and doesn't take a backward step so he should be good defensively but let's all wait and see if he has the gaol kicking acuracy required with the sherrin!

I'm hoping so as he looks alike he could be a very valuable inclusion if he could fill that tall 3rd forward role for us. This could give every other team's defensive coaches a big headache!

Welcome aboard Tommy and good luck, which will come from putting in the hard work to acquire the "Sherrin skills".
Bomber Thompson sighted with a big wet patch around the crutch of his trousers, shortly after reading the news.
From what? Spilling champers from one of the two premiership cups he has won in the past three years??? :oops: :cry:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
ace wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Awesome news! This is like getting a top 5 national draft pick without having to finish at/near the bottom, or trade someone. Potentially brilliant!
Steady on.

You seem to have 'missed' the point I was trying to make - that he has to learn to play Aussie rules, unlike any other player who is drafted in the top 5.

Yes he's an exciting 'project', but to talk of him in the 'revered tones' that some have on here? :roll:

Nixon on radio this morning said how last december when trying out with the Saints he broke two tackles and kicked a goal on the left foot from about 60 metres out.

Ricky may have been talking him up a tad - but that is the only thing I heard about tommy.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
ace wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Steady on.

Nixon on radio this morning said how last december when trying out with the Saints he broke two tackles and kicked a goal on the left foot from about 60 metres out.

Ricky may have been talking him up a tad - but that is the only thing I heard about tommy.

Im pretty sure Nixon said that just after stating that was the first time he had seen him. Pretty sure that bit of play was in Ireland, playing their game.

Not in Australia playing football. :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Since training with us last year Tommy has had a Sherrin and has been working at developing and improving his skills.

So he is not coming in completely cold.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

So what's ahrder to do?

Adapt from the round ball to a Sherrin... or the opposite?

One would think the Sherrin is easier to kick. If anything, an oval ball gives you more direction and accuracy.

Whereas a round ball is easier to bounce.

I don't see to many issues with learning to read the play. Both codes are very similar.

Yes, there's a touch of idol about this.. but after what happened last month, I think we deserve to indulge a little.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Junior
Club Player

Nixon stated on SEN this morning that if Walsh went into this years draft that he would be a top 20 pick.

Drain also commented that they were confident of secuiring Tommy Walsha nd that was why they were prepared to trade a first round draft pick for Lovett.

We would all be speculating as to how good he is, but clearly Nixon and Drain rate him as a top 20 pick.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Can we at least give this guy a chance before we make him the next Wayne Carey, Plaugger and Rooy rolled into one. Nver played the game. May have no idea. I can see it now in 2 years time if he just becomes an average player, he will get thread after thread being the new whipping boy and how many of the hindsights guys will come on here saying I told you so.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Can we at least give this guy a chance before we make him the next Wayne Carey, Plaugger and Rooy rolled into one. Nver played the game. May have no idea. I can see it now in 2 years time if he just becomes an average player, he will get thread after thread being the new whipping boy and how many of the hindsights guys will come on here saying I told you so.
Good post...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Can we at least give this guy a chance before we make him the next Wayne Carey, Plaugger and Rooy rolled into one. Nver played the game. May have no idea. I can see it now in 2 years time if he just becomes an average player, he will get thread after thread being the new whipping boy and how many of the hindsights guys will come on here saying I told you so.

Well, going by the vibe on this thread his chance will come R1 2010.

:shock: :shock: 8-) 8-) :D :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: going by the vibe on this thread his chance will come R1 2010.
The Saints will try to fast-track Walsh's development with the view to playing him beside skipper Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke next year.
looks like we've got him in mind to play third tall forward. i hope he's a quick study. going on his reputation in ireland he has all the attributes that are needed.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

i dunno i mean i think ppl are jumping the gun abit... lets just see how he goes next yeah ey guys... dont get to excited

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

jimmy_slats wrote:i dunno i mean i think ppl are jumping the gun abit... lets just see how he goes next yeah ey guys... dont get to excited
But I've already started working on a stage adaptation of the rock opera Tommy, starring Dolph Lundgren as Tommy Walsh and Leo Sayer as Ricky Nixon. Music by Saints fans only - Mick Thomas, TISM, Paul Dempsey, Tex Perkins etc. Ross Lyon has small speaking role as himself, John Farnham to play his nemesis GT, while Pink will play Walsh's mentor and role model Rooey (think blonde hair and comfortable on a trapeze)... Lovett to play (like) Winmar... Show to premier Grand Final night 2010... Sponsored by Jeld-Wen and the Shane Warne Foundation...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
jimmy_slats
Club Player

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:i dunno i mean i think ppl are jumping the gun abit... lets just see how he goes next yeah ey guys... dont get to excited
But I've already started working on a stage adaptation of the rock opera Tommy, starring Dolph Lundgren as Tommy Walsh and Leo Sayer as Ricky Nixon. Music by Saints fans only - Mick Thomas, TISM, Paul Dempsey, Tex Perkins etc. Ross Lyon has small speaking role as himself, John Farnham to play his nemesis GT, while Pink will play Walsh's mentor and role model Rooey (think blonde hair and comfortable on a trapeze)... Lovett to play (like) Winmar... Show to premier Grand Final night 2010... Sponsored by Jeld-Wen and the Shane Warne Foundation...
hahahh hmm id start the script nd just c how he goes worst case u could just change it to lynch or lovett or even peake lol

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

No. he better be better than Carey, Plugger and Rooy or I want my money back......

Lance or James??

jimmy_slats
Club Player

like i said boys hes probably no good i mean ppl need to just asses b4 they start making him there fav player and telling ppl to believe the hype its just ridiculous....

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

Who cares if a few on SS get excited?... apart from you obviously... did your wife tell you off for forgetting to sit down to pee again?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:like i said boys hes probably no good i mean ppl need to just asses b4 they start making him there fav player and telling ppl to believe the hype its just ridiculous....
nice avatar of our new out and out champion :D :D :wink:

Lance or James??

jimmy_slats
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:like i said boys hes probably no good i mean ppl need to just asses b4 they start making him there fav player and telling ppl to believe the hype its just ridiculous....
nice avatar of our new out and out champion :D :D :wink:
hahah im keepin a lid on it lol kids gona be good.... real good

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Nixon stated on SEN this morning that if Walsh went into this years draft that he would be a top 20 pick.

Drain also commented that they were confident of secuiring Tommy Walsha nd that was why they were prepared to trade a first round draft pick for Lovett.

We would all be speculating as to how good he is, but clearly Nixon and Drain rate him as a top 20 pick.
gee, why do ya reckon they're talking him up? nixon would talk up dave mcnamara's corpse as a third round pick if it was paying him a retainer. and drain has a vested interest in making it sound like we got a good deal, since we don't have a draft pick until 32.

i'd rather base my expectations on someone neutral, but i can't find any of those at this point, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Milton66
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
Who cares if a few on SS get excited?... apart from you obviously... did your wife tell you off for forgetting to sit down to pee again?
That's no way to talk to Agnet Killjoy66. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
goodie
Club Player

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
Who's Eric Bana going to play?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

centrebet's paying 750-1 for Tommy to win the Coleman/Brownlow double.

Lump on.

Junior
Club Player

Have heard Nixon talk about numerous other Irish players and he as never put raps on them like Tommy Walsh, why is he not talking up David Moran in such a way or anyone else in his program.

Drain I would have thought would be talking him down so as too not put to much pressure on him. Cannot see why Drain would need to talk him up as he is only a Rookie selection so if it was to fail no big deal. Why would he set Tommy Walsh and the club up for a fall unless he believes it to be true. Drain does not need to sell Walsh to defend the fact that we have pick 32, how Lovett performs will be the issue.

Nixon does not need to talk him up as he already had the retainer in the bag when Tommy signed. Nixon needs this program to work as it is a potential gold mine for him and this kid from all reports out of Ireland is the best.

Just reporting what Nixon said, personally I would rather see him with my own eyes before making a call, and reckon it is highly unlikely that he will play seniors next year let alone be a gun.

But anyone that has seen the Youtube highlights of him would have to admit that he has the necessary physical skills to play the game and that is why I would suggest that Nixon and Drain are talking him up as he looks like a freak athlete.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.