2010 - My opinion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

2010 - My opinion

Some changes are required to take the next step......hopefully the injury gods are as kind to us in 2010 aswell.....a fact that many fail to acknowledge - we had a dream run....

Best 22

Backs - Remain the same
Blake - Third tall......holds his spot after another solid season
Dawson - Full Back.....needs to back up, that is the challenge
Baker - Small defender......almost gone, then a cracker of a GF for the doubters

Half Backs - One change
Gilbert/S.Fisher/Goddard - Rebounder.....Only Goddard if reqiured
S.Fisher/Gilbert - CHB.....Either can switch roles depending on match-ups
Ray/Gram/Lovett - Running defender....the spare outide mid/ball carrier
Out: R.Clarke

Midfield -
M.Gardiner - #1 Ruck.....Holds spot
B.McEvoy - #2 Ruck.......Comes in

L.Hayes - Centre Square inside mid.......#1 Clearance player
N.Dal Santo - Centre Square inside/outside mid.....
C.Jones - Centre Square mid Tagger.......Holds spot easily
Lovett - Wing......can go to HB or play small fwd
Gram/Ray - Wing......can go to HB
Montagna - High HF.....will rotate through centre
Peak - Outide.....will rotate through fwd line/back up
Armitage - Centre Square inside mid........back up
J.Geary - High HF.... rotate as a back up

Fwd line
Riewoldt - #1 marking Target......rotate high and low
Koschitke - #2 marking target......rotate high and low
Schnieder - Small Fwd
McQualter - Small Fwd
Goddard - Utility....Fwd of the ball/On the ball/behind the ball.....can rotate with Lovett/Peak/Dal/Ray/Gilbert or just about any player....gives X-factor and flexibility

In: Lovett, Armitage, Geary, McEvoy, Peak

Out: R.Clarke, Ball, Milne, King, Dempster

Back ups
King......Gardiner
Stanley......McEvoy

R.Clarke......Def/Utility....Goddard/S.Gilbert
Milne.........Small Fwd....Schnieder/McQualter
Steven......Small fwd/HFF....Schnieder/McQualter/Geary/Montagna
Dempster.....Run with.....Jones/Baker/Peak
Heyne......HFF.....Peak/Geary
Lynch......Tall fwd/def
Gwilt.........Utility....Goddard/Peak/Geary/Gilbert
Eddy.......Fwd/Mid
Miles.......Small defender/Running defender/mid fwd....Baker/Peak/Geary

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I agree with most of the changes, but I don't think Peake should be getting a game straight away, he should have earn his stripes at sandringham for a while. I wouldn't be dropping Milne i know he lets us down in big games but he did kick over 50 goals for us this year and players like that are hard to replace.
You mentioned that we had a dream run with injury and that is true, but we also only lost 2 games in the home and away by a total of 7 points, so you would think that if we do get more injuries next year that we could hopefully still win atleast 14 games for the season which normally gets you top 4 anyway. As long as the injuries come at "the right time" that is the question? If we have them all up and running at the business end we are always a chance.
I also want to see Goddard as the third forward, maybe playing more as a centre/forward like you say where he can be most damaging. I agree with replacing king, dempster and clarke and i am hoping armitage can really step up this year and be the replacement for luke ball that we need to help out Hayes. I am also excited about seeing Lovett running around for us next year!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
asiu

agree with replacing king,
yep

in '09 .....brave move not made imo

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Reckon you're harsh on Milne Mart. Yep he had a stinker of a GF but he wasn't the only small forward to stuff up in that game.
He kicked 46 goals for the year, the best return for any crumber in the comp. Clearly in our best 22 IMO.

rocksolid
Club Player

Great post as usual BigMart,
Agree with most of your comment, also agree you may be jumping a bit quick on Peake lets see if he earns a spot first.
I have posted before that i think Goddards versatility should be used out of the forward line playing permanent third tall and rotated from there when needed.
I also feel its time for Kosi to deliver as an A+ player or lets look at Lynch.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Reckon you're harsh on Milne Mart. Yep he had a stinker of a GF but he wasn't the only small forward to stuff up in that game.
He kicked 46 goals for the year, the best return for any crumber in the comp. Clearly in our best 22 IMO.
Surely you know how it works. A player comes from another club and is automatically better that a guy who averages 2 goals a game. Of course Milne should and will play early next year but will Peak (Peake for people who really know him). Time will tell but Milney certainly desrves game ahead of a few others.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Surely you know how it works. A player comes from another club and is automatically better that a guy who averages 2 goals a game. Of course Milne should and will play early next year but will Peak (Peake for people who really know him). Time will tell but Milney certainly desrves game ahead of a few others.
Have been to a few Dockers games at Subi through a mate who's a Dockers member and I haven't been overly impressed with Peake. Of course in a different structure and team he'll be a different player to some extent, but I rate him as a fringe best 22 player and he'd need to earn a spot rather than get a walk up start. Milney has the points on the board IMO.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Surely you know how it works. A player comes from another club and is automatically better that a guy who averages 2 goals a game. Of course Milne should and will play early next year but will Peak (Peake for people who really know him). Time will tell but Milney certainly desrves game ahead of a few others.
Ultimately we need a small Forward that fires in big games,not one who consistently fails,does that mean Milnes gone...i don't know....

(it's "deserves a game" for people that know English) :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2010 - My opinion

BigMart wrote: In: Lovett, Armitage, Geary, McEvoy, Peak
That's some pretty significant chances, and TBH I don't think the ins add any more than the outs...

for me it would be (assuming Luke stays) -
In: A.Lovett
Out: S.Dempster

Peake is nothing more than backup IMO... King/ Gardiner and McEvoy should be rotating consistently throughout the season before picking the best combo for the last 6 weeks.

Steven, Geary and Armitage will be banging the door down.

I would love to see one of Walsh/ Heyne/ Lynch break into the team aswell...

I think there are going to be some hard decisions made over the next couple of years as I feel we are about to enter a period where the likes of Armitage, Geary, Steven, Lynch, Heyne, McEvoy, Stanley and Walsh are going to start overtaking the likes of Ball, Baker, Milne, Dempster, King and Gardiner...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Lynch is not a 'tall foward', or a defender.

He's a mobile 3rd 'high' foward / half forward who can get a spell on a wing or half back but he's not a big strong marking target or someone who would take a tall forward in defence. Completely different player to anyone we have on our list.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:Lynch is not a 'tall foward', or a defender.
Lynch is probably better suited to a role further up the ground, but he is fairly tall, he's good on the lead and he can take a mark. He's a similar size to Jay Neagle, Jack Riewoldt and Taylor Walker. He's a similar height to Bradshaw, Fevola and Pavlich, who were all skinny teenagers at some stage. He's taller than the third tall types like Stevie J, ROK, Rob Murphy, etc. I think Lynch could play deeper if needed. I think he's versatile enough that you could play him just about anywhere.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

LOL at the people who have Milne outside the 22, Definately in our 22 and im sure Ross agrees

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i agree with 99% of this post. i think maybe a younger guy will take his chance and be top 18 - not just a back up.

on milne- i watched the gf on on sat for the first time. milne actually played pretty good. clearly those missed goals probably cost us the game.

but kicking duffs aside he was actually pretty good. so i kind of mixed feelings.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2010 - My opinion

Armoooo wrote:
BigMart wrote: In: Lovett, Armitage, Geary, McEvoy, Peak
That's some pretty significant chances, and TBH I don't think the ins add any more than the outs...

for me it would be (assuming Luke stays) -
In: A.Lovett
Out: S.Dempster

Peake is nothing more than backup IMO... King/ Gardiner and McEvoy should be rotating consistently throughout the season before picking the best combo for the last 6 weeks.

Steven, Geary and Armitage will be banging the door down.

I would love to see one of Walsh/ Heyne/ Lynch break into the team aswell...

I think there are going to be some hard decisions made over the next couple of years as I feel we are about to enter a period where the likes of Armitage, Geary, Steven, Lynch, Heyne, McEvoy, Stanley and Walsh are going to start overtaking the likes of Ball, Baker, Milne, Dempster, King and Gardiner...
Good post. I agree with your thoughts Armoooo

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would peak be drafted if he wasn't considered a 22 starter.....why would ross target a back up player with a reasonable pick.....instead of drafting a could be Good'n.....they must believe he can add something to the team - not the list.....he was drafter due to his fitness and speed and ability to chase and apply fwd/frontal pressure and/or run and spread on the turnover.....he will play HF IMO

Milne has had his opportunity to perform in big games for many years and has been found wanting.....his back end of 09 was poor...and his finals series highlighted his ability to handle pressure....he is 29 and will have to earn his spot IMO with some consistency..........has been a great small fwd over his career.....but like Fraser the team might be better off without his inconsistency.....Kosi is next in the sights, but at least he creates a spill

Dempster.....needs to play well to get back in IMO.....is capable, but will need to find a role...

King.....clearly past it as a frontline ruck.....and McEvoy will surely overtake him in 2010.....he must for the future of the Ruck division....he needs to play the first 16 games.....if he runs out of steam, king can be used at the back end of the season.....as the kids body may need a rest.....even more importantly, if Gardy goes down or needs a rest, McEvoy won't have to shoulder the ruck against monsters, Kingy can do the grunt work......the other positive of McEvoy, he can actually take a catch, and can go fwd if Kosi has a run around on the ball........look for Stanley to be a bolter and plat 4-6 games this season..freak athlete.

Raph Clarke - Lovett inclusion will cost him.....he is our weakest link. Lovett will play mid, Gram or Ray will be used across HB to give more rebound.

Ball - Gone unfortunately

Geary.......too good for VFL and quite good in the AFL.....

Armo.....Surely if Ball is gone

Steven Close, expect 10+ games in 2010

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i dont have any time for dempster. i watched him cloasely and just does not seem athletic enough. not sure he overcome his natural deficiencies. sure he looks like an adonis and probably trains the house down in the gym. but on the field seemed to lack everything and got towled up andrew mackie - who is a very good player by the way....

who knows maybe im a bad judge. but from what ive seen hes a good trier, a fitness fanatic, but really lacks class and atheleticism.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Have to pretty much agree with the Big M on most parts.

Milne has been great, but I fear his size is now his biggest enenmy.

If Peake plays HF, then it would be to replace the likes of Eddy.

I doubt that Raph will go out. I expect a bigger, stronger Raph in 2010.

Dempster is the other one. He has come back of a knee reco, so it will be interesting to see how he goes after a full pre-season.

Of the "fringe" players, I expect Geary and MacEvoy to have the most impact. Unless he sets the world on fire, I don't expect Stevens to be a starting regular.

I also don't hink that King is past it yet. He's not THAT old, and Mac should be made to earn his spot.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:i dont have any time for dempster. i watched him cloasely and just does not seem athletic enough.
Dempster is fast enough to play on small forwards and has a tank big enough to play on elite midfielders. He's plenty athletic. The only thing that keeps him as a fringe player is his inability to find the footy. One game on Andrew Mackie proves nothing, except maybe that Dempster's not a natural forward. Mackie didn't exactly dominate the game anyway.

I imagine Dempster will push for a spot next year, as he did this year. I'd prefer to see him down back where we need somebody to take out another small forward. He was great there in 08 in Baker's absence.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
PJ
SS Life Member

I think in Dempster's defence he came into the season mid way after a reco so I'd be prepared to judge his capabilities more after seeing a full pre-season.

I still think the shape of the forward line is not quite right - Lynch/Walsh perhaps. With Milne I can see both sides of the argument but if he goes there will need to be someone step up bigtime - can you see another player getting 50 odd.

I do like the idea of lovett running off the half back - speed and accuracy by foot, wins every time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Unless Im mistaken RL himself said that Peake has some work to do to prove himself a First 22 player

Eddy and Geary both played some blinders in the VFL but when promoted were no better than steady. I think this reflects the chasm between VFL and AFL footy as much as it does the guys ability. Neither is an X factor player however wheras Steven, Armo, Mac and even maybe Stanley seem to have that "something" that might result in even half a game of blinding footy that would stamp them as a genuine "arrival" and cement them in the side

When was the last time we had a "wow!!" half of footy by a young fringe player? A damn long time Id suggest

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

MILNE?

You are f****** high!!

Milne is a gun!! Christ do you forget that he wins us games?? The lions game? remember that? The guy is a great kick so what he had a bad grand final?? f***** hell the guy is the best small forward in the game!

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I would be very surprised if Walsh or Peake get too much actiion in the 1's.
Hopefully wrong but getting Ray was pleasing but old "twin" does nothing for me and Walsh looks great as an athlete but he has lots to do.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Milne out but Schneider remains, I must have watched a different final series?

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: MILNE?

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:You are f****** high!!

Milne is a gun!! Christ do you forget that he wins us games?? The lions game? remember that? The guy is a great kick so what he had a bad grand final?? f***** hell the guy is the best small forward in the game!
Are you refering to the on in R22 hwen he kicked 11 against a clapped out - non existent Lions defence?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Saintersss
Club Player

I love people who say we don't have enough scoring options, but are also dropping Milne. Milne is a quality player and while he didn't have a spectatular grand final, it was more his missed chances that cost us not his actual play.
For people who put Peake in the starting 22 I ask have you watched him play for freo? He is an okay player who had one decent season, and sure he has pace, but his skills are left to be desired. We are no longer lacking pace (with lovett, monty, dal santo, ray, gram and possibly geary all playing in the middle) that we desperately need to put a fast skill-less player in there as well. Everyone was complaining how Gram always turnovers the ball after his run and carry, well be prepared to be even more annoyed with Peake.
In saying that I hope he does turn out to be a player and Ross does see something in him, but at the moment he is outside our 22 until he proves his worth.