Our "FRIEND" Paul Connors !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Luke, McPhee, Welsh, Wojo....probably more
ESSENDON chief executive Ian Robson believes experienced duo Adam McPhee and Andrew Welsh will recommit to the club as early as next week.

McPhee, 27, and Welsh, 26, are both yet to re-sign and have been reported as unhappy with the contracts put forward by the Bombers to this stage.

"They are both required players and I am confident we will be able to resolve it in a positive manner for both parties, with the circumstances where we currently see ourselves, and that they'll stay Essendon players," Robson told Melbourne radio station SEN on Thursday.

"Matthew Knights and Paul Hamilton together with Adrian Hickmott and Alan Richardson have just been away for a couple of weeks.

"So have Dan Richardson, Welsh's manager, and Paul Connors, Adam's manager, so we haven't been able to get everyone around the table all at once.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Luke, McPhee, Welsh, Wojo....probably more
Not Welsh

But hiccups with Graham Polak and Matt Maguire.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Not Welsh

Pretty sure those 2 are delisted players. Maybe we should mention LJ manager as well or Begley.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

smilk wrote:
  • Collingwood make ball an offer.
    Ball liked it and knocks back the saint's 3yr contract (offered mid season).
    Ball nominates Collingwood and Collingwood only in trade week.
    Jolly is put on the trade market (connors client).
    Collingwood trade picks 14 and 46 for jolly, and gamble the Ball deal.
    Collingwood try to play hard ball with the Saints and no trade is made.

list]

i reckon u got the first 2 points wrong. the way i see it.
  • saints offer ball 3 x300. this is 200 less per year than what hes on.
    connors not happy - advises ball - dont take it - but leave it on the table . lets see what else is on offer for a few months. and if there is nothing we can still take the 3 x 300. ball agrees to this seemingly sensible advise.
    collingwood indicate an interest and suggest verbally they can beat the 3 x 300. they can probably go 3 x 400.
    ball and connors think they have this as back up if saints dont up the price.
    Ross lyon calls their bluff. Refuses to be bullied/played by a player manager and fights back.
    Sends LB to sandy and publically comments on Lukes weaknesses as a player. Takes the 3 x 300 off the table.
    Lukes market value drops further.
    Trade week. Pies stick by their offer of 3 x 400 which Luke and connors are both happy to take. But Pies wont/cant trade anything better in draft picks because of the Jolly deal. Ross Lyon sticks to his gun - mainly out of principle against Connors trying to play him back in July (it got personal).
    LB now in limbo. he can get his 3 x 400 but only if he is prepared to play for rabble (demons) or go back to saints who have him over a barrel on terms.
[/list]

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
PJ wrote:Interestingly he's been discussed on talk back radio in Adelaide as someone that requires a pineapple enima because of his comments about Port Adelaide - talk about Mr.Popular.
Personally his comments about Port Adelaide make me see him in a far more positive light 8-)
Agreed.

Funny how nobody Mentioned Connors when he was saying a couple of years back that Ball was the best placed by being at the Saints even to the detriment of a higher offer from other clubs.

Connors is just like all the other managers - no better or worse.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

saints offer ball 3 x300. this is 200 less per year than what hes on.
connors not happy - advises ball - dont take it - but leave it on the table . lets see what else is on offer for a few months. and if there is nothing we can still take the 3 x 300. ball agrees to this seemingly sensible advise.
collingwood indicate an interest and suggest verbally they can beat the 3 x 300. they can probably go 3 x 400.
Find this plausable but
Ross lyon calls their bluff. Refuses to be bullied/played by a player manager and fights back.
Sends LB to sandy and publically comments on Lukes weaknesses as a player. Takes the 3 x 300 off the table.
Find this quite ridiculous. This presumes that Lyon is more concerned with his ego than trying to win a premiership. LB was dropped because of performance after the R14 game (Geary was also). No different to Dal the year before. Also the deal was still on the table until 2PM on trade day.
Trade week. Pies stick by their offer of 3 x 400 which Luke and connors are both happy to take. But Pies wont/cant trade anything better in draft picks because of the Jolly deal. Ross Lyon sticks to his gun - mainly out of principle against Connors trying to play him back in July (it got personal).
LB now in limbo. he can get his 3 x 400 but only if he is prepared to play for rabble (demons) or go back to saints who have him over a barrel on terms.
Kinda plausible, but I don't think Luke was after the money. He saw the whole package at the Pies (playing MCG, replacing O'Bree, chance of a flag etc) as the best bet outside St Kilda. Again, it's unlikely that the deal didn't get done because of Lyon's ego as they were happy to trade for the right deal. I'm sure that the club would rather now have a suitable player (Everitt or N.Brown or even others) raring to play for the club, than trying to convince a reluctant Ball to sign.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
. I'm sure that the club would rather now have a suitable player (Everitt or N.Brown or even others) raring to play for the club, than trying to convince a reluctant Ball to sign.
Indeed....and despite the all the talk being on Lyon...

While Lyon no doubt setrs the ramework for the type od players he wants...Drain would be the one trying to enact the deals.

In this case I am confident that the Saints were willing to deal...for an ok-ish deal...uit not willing to be reamed by the Pies....who wanted Ball for a bargain.

As trade week went on...with the saints having landed Lovett, Ball's value to us would have been reduced as our midfield group had been expandeed with a good quality player.

Lyon, Drain and Co have been employed to win us a flag....and not to worry about individual players...particularly players who have asked to go.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
saints offer ball 3 x300. this is 200 less per year than what hes on.
Find this plausable but
Find this quite ridiculous. This presumes that Lyon is more concerned with his ego than trying to win a premiership. LB was dropped because of performance after the R14 game (Geary was also). No different to Dal the year before. Also the deal was still on the table until 2PM on trade day.
Kinda plausible, but I don't think Luke was after the money. He saw the whole package at the Pies (playing MCG, replacing O'Bree, chance of a flag etc) as the best bet outside St Kilda. Again, it's unlikely that the deal didn't get done because of Lyon's ego as they were happy to trade for the right deal. I'm sure that the club would rather now have a suitable player (Everitt or N.Brown or even others) raring to play for the club, than trying to convince a reluctant Ball to sign.
im para phrasing. and im sure luke thought about the whole package at the Pies like u mentioned (training at lexus would be nice).

but i dont think it was lyon's ego. more his team ethos. that made him react. i.e we are all in this together. i cant have individual managers coming in and wedging the team based on one person when we have list salary cap issues.

so i dont think it was lyons ego. rather his team before individual ethos.

Lets put it this way - we pay luke 300 - we get lovett as well. We pay Luke 500 - No Lovett. From Lyons perspective - he wants both to win a flag.

So its not ego. Its RL being team and flag orientated and being pragmatic (given our list salary cap constraints). You cant spend that much on a player (LB was on 600) unless the guys is an absolute superstar. because it prevents u spending on other players (Lovett and Peake in this instance)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 06 Nov 2009 2:30pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

You cant spend that much on a player (LB was on 600) unless the guys is an absolute superstar. because it prevents u spending on other players (Lovett and Peake in this instance)
I think in there is the reason the deal was off the table. We had picked up 2 other players, so the figures of the original offer (to Luke) were totally out. I think the club would have believed that the Ball deal would be done, when dealing for Lovett and Peake.

ace
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
You cant spend that much on a player (LB was on 600) unless the guys is an absolute superstar. because it prevents u spending on other players (Lovett and Peake in this instance)
I think in there is the reason the deal was off the table. We had picked up 2 other players, so the figures of the original offer (to Luke) were totally out. I think the club would have believed that the Ball deal would be done, when dealing for Lovett and Peake.
I agree the original contract offer would have blown the salary cap if left on the table.
That is why it had to be taken off the table.

When Lyon was interviewed just after the close of trading, he said the 3 year contract was still on the table but then quickly corrected himself and said it was now off the table.
He had quickly realised that adding Lovett and Peake and subtracting X Clarke left less money unclaimed under the salary cap.

Now the club is saying commit to us and we will make you an offer but only after you commit.
But the club is refusing to put an offer on the table to be used by Ball / Connors in bargaining with other clubs.

It's the money or the football, your choice Luke Ball.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Actually, wouldn't mine McPhee or welsh at St.Kilda, but very little chance of that, Paul Connors has probably put us off.
Should be easy for him to arrange a trade with Luke Ball, shouldn't it?

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:
Not Welsh

Pretty sure those 2 are delisted players. Maybe we should mention LJ manager as well or Begley.
I didn't think that just because their clubs delisted them, their manager abandons them too.
But then you seem to know more about Paul Connors behaviour than the rest of us.

jackal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:A good footy manager is one who does whats best for his clients. Is Paul Connors good, I have no idea but just because a couple of his players havent signed as yet doesnt mean he isnt. Are players leaving him in droves. I dont think so. Are 95% of his players signed for next year. I would think so.

Do people think he should work for the club and not the player.
Exactly...seems like he is doing his job from what i see. has media exposure on his players which will surely drive their prices up. I know that if I ever use an agent to market my skills to potential bidders i'd hope that they add value to what i would get on an open market.

Saying all this I hope Ball stays and if he goes I won't be losing any sleep or crying...he's a very good footy player who still has a lot offer to the mighty saints!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A good footy manager is one who does whats best for his clients. Is Paul Connors good, I have no idea but just because a couple of his players havent signed as yet doesnt mean he isnt. Are players leaving him in droves. I dont think so. Are 95% of his players signed for next year. I would think so.

Do people think he should work for the club and not the player.
How many players does he have in his stable?

You say you would think 95% of them are signed, so how many does he have?
Well if 3 havent that would make about 60. What would you think his numbers are?
You're the one quoting 95%.

He has 5 unsigned that I know of, and I'm sure there are more than that.
Who are the 5? Goose shouldnt even be counted as he is delisted. And I didnt realsie we couldnt have a stab at %. I hope you are always 100% accurate when you post.
The five are Luke, Goose (may be delisted, but he aint signed), McPhee, Wojcinski and Polak (same as Goose).

I don't work on percentages, that is the domain of the likes of Mr Connors.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:I have to agree with Mr Magic and Spinner.

It's all well and good to make Paul Connors the target of our anger but it was Luke and Luke alone who made the final decision to leave our football club. Obviously he would have consulted with his family and friends as well as his manager before making his mind up but Luke made the decision. And as disappointed as that is to some of us it's a decision he's more than entitled to make.

If he does decide to re-sign at St Kilda I reckon most of us will welcome him back with open arms. I just think plenty of people on here are overlooking the fact that he's an intelligent person with a lot of family and friends around him. Paul Connors didn't make him leave St Kilda.
100% agree with this.

Connors is doing what Luke Ball pays him to do.

Not saying I like him or that I agree with everything he does, but his job is to deliver an outcome for Luke Ball - which is what he's doing.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
sainter35 wrote:I have to agree with Mr Magic and Spinner.

It's all well and good to make Paul Connors the target of our anger but it was Luke and Luke alone who made the final decision to leave our football club. Obviously he would have consulted with his family and friends as well as his manager before making his mind up but Luke made the decision. And as disappointed as that is to some of us it's a decision he's more than entitled to make.

If he does decide to re-sign at St Kilda I reckon most of us will welcome him back with open arms. I just think plenty of people on here are overlooking the fact that he's an intelligent person with a lot of family and friends around him. Paul Connors didn't make him leave St Kilda.
100% agree with this.

Connors is doing what Luke Ball pays him to do.

Not saying I like him or that I agree with everything he does, but his job is to deliver an outcome for Luke Ball - which is what he's doing.
Also have to agree. For years we've been told how smart Luke is. I recall stories, not sure if they were from GT or others, indicating Ball could just about run the club such were his off-field abilities. No doubt Connors is a parasite but if Luke doesn't like where this is heading it is totally within his powers to change things.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

probably a good idea Paul :shock:
■ The futures of Adam McPhee and Luke Ball may become clearer this week with the pair's manager, Paul Connors, planning to meet them.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ke ... 93111.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:probably a good idea Paul :shock:
■ The futures of Adam McPhee and Luke Ball may become clearer this week with the pair's manager, Paul Connors, planning to meet them.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ke ... 93111.html
I can't imagine why he would want to meet with them this coming week.

After all if he waits until the following week, the cut off for nominations for the National Draft (2PM this Tuesday) and final list lodgments ahead of the National Draft (List Lodgement No2 due 2PM this Friday) will have passed.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Paul Connors seems to be Peter Jess reincarnated.

Jess was the ponytailed w@nker who persuaded Winmar to walk out on the club at the peak of his career, one week after the shirt lifting episode at VP, in search of a $500k salary in the days of a <$3m cap.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
killa_gram
Club Player

Paul Connors is your standard Xavier w@nker who has NFI! :evil:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Paul Connors will be a happy man if Luke get's the reported $500K a year elsewhere...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Paul Connors will be a happy man if Luke get's the reported $500K a year elsewhere...
Happy or busy?

counting his cut of the contract !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

With Ball now leaving and Goose delisted, does Connors still manage any Saints players?

Milton66
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:With Ball now leaving and Goose delisted, does Connors still manage any Saints players?
For their sake, I hope not.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:With Ball now leaving and Goose delisted, does Connors still manage any Saints players?
For their sake, I hope not.
Let's never draft or trade for a Connors' mercenary ever again.

We don't need Paul Connors as a friend.
We don''t need Paul Connors at all.