emma quayle says saints will be going downhill in 2 years,.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

our fate like many others is the the hands of our youngsters...

if guys like Armitage, Eddy, Geary, Steven, McEvoy, Stanley, Heine, Lynch etc are able to improve and a few become a-grade players, we'll do very very well.

if they do not, we'll be celler dwellers within 3 years

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's all a bit of a raffle anyway when it comes to drafting..

We recently delisted a former No.27 draft pick,not one the recruiter would ever hang his hat on....

Some seem to be making the assumption that all the TAC kids that get drafted make the grade.....that is not so...whatever number draft pick they are....

It's all about the player mix but Ross seems to have a fixation with recycling players from other clubs.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's all a bit of a raffle anyway when it comes to drafting..

We recently delisted a former No.27 draft pick,not one the recruiter would ever hang his hat on....

Some seem to be making the assumption that all the TAC kids that get drafted make the grade.....that is not so...whatever number draft pick they are....

It's all about the player mix but Ross seems to have a fixation with recycling players from other clubs.....
I'm not sure it's a fixation. Making the Grand Final meant we weren't gonna get an early pick anyway. Trading 16 for Lovett will be liked by some and hated by others but the GF certainly exposed the Saints lack of pace & accuracy in the forward line, whether that be hitting targets or scoring goals. Could we have solved that with a kid at pick 16? Perhaps, but it probably would have taken a few years for that kid to make it to the seniors even if he was good enough. So I don't have any problem with giving up our earliest pick for Lovett.

As I stated in my previous post I also don't have a problem with recycled players with our later picks where there was a perceived lack of talented kids available in a weak & compromised draft.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I understand her opinion and I guess against perhaps the amount of young talent other clubs have stockpiled (Geelong again this year) it could be argued we may struggle when Hayes/Roo/Kosi et al go.

Lyon has backed the here and now which I also understand....but geez......last time we were here and now we didnt get another shot for 13 yrs....

Mind you its interesting that Smith is only 23, Pattison 23 (have copped a heap of cr@p off mates for this selection...) so while they arent kids.....they arent 28.

I guess is we get 1 flag at least in the next couple of years you could argue its paid off? .....however, 2 would be in the realms of this group IMHO.
my thought is that
geelong has been on top for three years still likely to be their for te next 2-3 and yet they still go with youth.

the saints tried the route of topping up after 1997 and still took us 13 years to make a grand final. if the saints do not win the grand final within the next 2 years the topping up (even if they are low 20 year olds) may come back to haunt the saints in the years of GC and GWS drafts.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:Quayle is a goose !
Maybe I could have a serve of Quayle with some fava beans and a glass of chianti :wink:

saintnick12
Club Player

Geelong had to go with youth as they couldn't afford anyone else. They were interested in Lovett last year and apparently some others this year. But they are under such tight salary cap pressure due to the ongoing success that they cannot afford to do anything other than go for kids. If we have room for a few older players in our cap that might make the difference to winning a flag then go for it I say. We still drafted young with our first and last pick and also most of our picks last year. We have also increased our number of rookies over the past few years and have had great success with this - Jones, Geary, Dawson, McQualter and Eddy were all rookies.

realdeal
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:Geelong had to go with youth as they couldn't afford anyone else. They were interested in Lovett last year
They also wanted to get Jesse Smith so thats tells you something too..

Top4King
Club Player

when we got peake they got drum

chook23
Saintsational Legend

We have/are been recruiting in the now

she is not far off the mark

saint4life
Top4King
Club Player

she's the type of cat that sits in the rain and wonders why she gets wet.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:she's the type of cat that sits in the rain and wonders why she gets wet.
a saints supporter who is not far off it in this article

saint4life
Top4King
Club Player

if she is so a saint what's she doing having a dig. that's not a supporter, that's an opinion.
IMO 27 is when you are at your peak. our list is redlining. we dont need talk of player shedding.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seems resonable with what she said. We are definately drafting for the now with a litlle for the future. I natural reaction from a club trying to win a flag. No issue with what she says or with what we are doing.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok..based on Saints who are currently 26 or less we have a team of:

Smith Dawson Miles
Dempster Gilbert Peake
DalSanto Goddard Montagna
Gram Lynch McQualter
Schneider Cahill Jones

McEvoy Armitage Steven

Stanley Geary Ray Clarke

Quite likely to still be playing in 2012 = Roo, Lovett, Kosi, Sam Fisher

Wildcard = Walsh

Rookies = Given our recent success it is likely that one or two new rookies will have forced their way in the 2012 team

Lenny and Roo are our only two true current elites. Losing them would make a hole in any team.

however BJ may well soon be one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Top4King
Club Player

how many draft picks in the first round did she get right this year plugger66?
it seems they have removed her predictions article from The Age.com

saintbrat? can you find her predictions article. i would love to know how many first round selections she got right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:how many draft picks in the first round did she get right this year plugger66?

saintbrat? can you find her predictions article. i would love to know how many first round selections she got right.
And what does it matter how many draft picks she has right. She has an opinion which cannot be right or wrong. Amazingly before she han a negative opinion about the saints this time( I dont think it is negative) most people rated her just about the best journalist around.

Top4King
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Top4King wrote:how many draft picks in the first round did she get right this year plugger66?

And what does it matter how many draft picks she has right. She has an opinion which cannot be right or wrong. Amazingly before she han a negative opinion about the saints this time( I dont think it is negative) most people rated her just about the best journalist around.
most ppl. i think she's crap. monday's expert always has been.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well I am speaking from a pedophile point of view apparently. She is also no Monday expert as you call her as she puts her picks out there before the draft not after.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Emma I normally rate quite highly...but in this case people should not get too excited. It was a "filler" article with a few paragraphs on each club and mainly lightweight lines. Not normal Emm material at all.

Compared to the detailed in-depth articles that she normally writes this was paper to line the bird-cage.

Top4King
Club Player

i think it's important that we publish the article in full:

Mods edit: Deleted for posting entire article...heres the URL

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... -jyed.html

Top4King
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Top4King wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well I am speaking from a pedophile point of view apparently. She is also no Monday expert as you call her as she puts her picks out there before the draft not after.
and saintbrat will find them........... if anyone can find it saintbrat will.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:i think it's important that we publish the article in full:

:
I think you might want to read the first Stickie then.....see at top of page.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

:

Top4King
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

:
i've read it. i thought this was an extra-ordinary situation. hey did you read the homepage 'True Believer'?. Yeah that's mine.

Top4King
Club Player

< is waiting patiently for Emma's First Round picks................