interesting stuff re; Tommy Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Quixote wrote:
* Ross actually said he is just 'hanging on' with the day to day training at the moment!
Fingers crossed but geez.....he's feeling the pinch already and AFL is massively aerobically demanding so I hope the kid can get a solid tank into him.....does appear to have the attitude and that IMO is the key.
Remember, Gaelic is not professional over in Ireland.

Hard to reach the fitness levels of AFL when you have a full time job!
Exactly.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Quixote wrote:
* Ross actually said he is just 'hanging on' with the day to day training at the moment!
Fingers crossed but geez.....he's feeling the pinch already and AFL is massively aerobically demanding so I hope the kid can get a solid tank into him.....does appear to have the attitude and that IMO is the key.

I understand that and Im not potting the guy I am merely hoping he is an athlete that can develop the required tank.....not all can/do.

“Yeah….nah””
xander
Club Player

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 5807325136

Seems like we were very eager to get him last year and good to hear that he has been practicing before we picked him up.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Yeah, I would have been fit when I was younger but I had a full time job.

Great excuse huh!.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
S.A Saint
Club Player

ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Great excuse huh!.
He would be fitter than anyone of us here...but not at the elite level that is required to play afl...

its not as if though the guy is unfit, just not afl fit....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Great excuse huh!.

There is no comparison for the fitness potential of someone who is a professional athlete and one that is amateur.

Or am reading the tone of your post incorrectly.

ace
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Great excuse huh!.
He would be fitter than anyone of us here...but not at the elite level that is required to play afl...

its not as if though the guy is unfit, just not afl fit....
Stop undermining my excuse.
It WAS my full time job that made me unfit when I was younger.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
HarveysDeciple

After a handful of sessions there were always going to be issues re fitness.

The gaelic game is not full time/professional as some have said here, but he'll get better, after christmas hopefully he finds a nice little groove.

However what we want to see is signs he can play the game, he can use the footy, read the play, back his insticts etc and likes to use his body.

This story from training demonstrates some very good signs for an overseas import so early in his development.

We should be quite excited thus far, even if there's a long way to go.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Enough with the negative reports,just lie...I want more of the "biggest thing since plugger" talk to get me through the pre season

Bring back the Lockett era
Megamaguire
Club Player

Lyons' work with Keneally should help

I like the fact that Lyon would have observed what contributed to Tadge Kenelley's success @ The Swans and should be able to help Tommy realise his potential by following some tried and tested approaches for transiting from Gaelic Footy o AFL.

The team can certainly benefit from plenty of enthusiasm and spark and i'm hopin and belevin that Tommy will have his day in the seniors.

I was pleased that the club followed up their enthusiasm for Walsh last year and demonstrated a strong commitment to getting him on board.

The footy gods could be smiling on St.Kilda for the huge efforts the players produced in 2009.

G O T O M M Y !
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Saint Mik
Club Player

It's one of the oldest retorts that any observation made about a promising GAA player is met with.

"Think he's good? You should see the younger brother at home," the line often goes.

In the case of Kerry's rising star Tommy Walsh, however, it's the 'two brothers at home' that are causing more fuss and excitement than any Kingdom dynasty since the production line from one O Se household in Ventry in the mid-1990s moved into overdrive.

Barry John Walsh captained the Kerry minors in their All-Ireland quarter-final win over Offaly just under two weeks ago. Not only that but he contributed 3-3 in an explosive individual performance.

Memorable

After the 2-4 he scored in the Munster final replay against Tipperary and the 0-8 he delivered in a memorable All-Ireland minor semi-final against Galway last August there is only one direction he is headed in the next couple of years, perhaps with an even greater pace of advancement than his older brother.

Behind them 15-year-old Sean Walsh is also making waves, the third of the genre is also shaping up to follow the footsteps of his older siblings.

All three Walsh brothers are of course sons of the former Kerry full-back and midfielder Sean Walsh, who won seven All-Ireland medals between 1978 and 1986.

The emergence of the Walsh brothers at various levels of Kerry football stands as testament to why they are most successful Gaelic football county and why they keep churning out great players and teams.

Coolmore doesn't do bloodlines better than Kerry football! From the Walshs to the O Ses, back to the Lynes and Spillanes and O'Keeffes, Sheehys and Fitzgeralds, the breeding transcends the generations.

The family tree of Kerry football is a mammoth oak by comparison to the saplings of some of their keenest rivals.

Every other county has their share. In Dublin it's the Brogans, Tyrone have the McGuigans, Armagh the Kernans and Galway have had the Donnellans and Joyces. But in Kerry the branches soar higher and intertwine more intricately than anywhere else.

"It's the secret of Kerry," whispers Weeshie Fogarty, the former Kerry player and renowned broadcaster and analyst in the county.

Tommy Walsh is a member of this year's All-Ireland U-21 winning side,

"He's exactly the same height as I am, six foot three and a quarter. The quarter is very important," says Kerry's legendary full-forward of the past Eoin Liston, who managed Kerins O'Rahilly's to their last Kerry title six years ago.

'Bomber' can't make up his mind which of the Walsh brothers will go on to make the greater impact in years to come.

Imposing

"Tommy's already there, playing in an inside full-forward line with Kieran Donaghy and I wouldn't move him from there for anything right now. He's learning in there with every game," he says. He possesses much of the toughness and energy associated with his father, if not the high degree of skill, and his progress next year is being awaited eagerly in Kerry.

We have Tommy already now for the other 2 brothers ,Could be the future of the St Kilda F.C :lol:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:It's one of the oldest retorts that any observation made about a promising GAA player is met with.

"Think he's good? You should see the younger brother at home," the line often goes.

In the case of Kerry's rising star Tommy Walsh, however, it's the 'two brothers at home' that are causing more fuss and excitement than any Kingdom dynasty since the production line from one O Se household in Ventry in the mid-1990s moved into overdrive.

Barry John Walsh captained the Kerry minors in their All-Ireland quarter-final win over Offaly just under two weeks ago. Not only that but he contributed 3-3 in an explosive individual performance.

Memorable

After the 2-4 he scored in the Munster final replay against Tipperary and the 0-8 he delivered in a memorable All-Ireland minor semi-final against Galway last August there is only one direction he is headed in the next couple of years, perhaps with an even greater pace of advancement than his older brother.

Behind them 15-year-old Sean Walsh is also making waves, the third of the genre is also shaping up to follow the footsteps of his older siblings.

All three Walsh brothers are of course sons of the former Kerry full-back and midfielder Sean Walsh, who won seven All-Ireland medals between 1978 and 1986.

The emergence of the Walsh brothers at various levels of Kerry football stands as testament to why they are most successful Gaelic football county and why they keep churning out great players and teams.

Coolmore doesn't do bloodlines better than Kerry football! From the Walshs to the O Ses, back to the Lynes and Spillanes and O'Keeffes, Sheehys and Fitzgeralds, the breeding transcends the generations.

The family tree of Kerry football is a mammoth oak by comparison to the saplings of some of their keenest rivals.

Every other county has their share. In Dublin it's the Brogans, Tyrone have the McGuigans, Armagh the Kernans and Galway have had the Donnellans and Joyces. But in Kerry the branches soar higher and intertwine more intricately than anywhere else.

"It's the secret of Kerry," whispers Weeshie Fogarty, the former Kerry player and renowned broadcaster and analyst in the county.

Tommy Walsh is a member of this year's All-Ireland U-21 winning side,

"He's exactly the same height as I am, six foot three and a quarter. The quarter is very important," says Kerry's legendary full-forward of the past Eoin Liston, who managed Kerins O'Rahilly's to their last Kerry title six years ago.

'Bomber' can't make up his mind which of the Walsh brothers will go on to make the greater impact in years to come.

Imposing

"Tommy's already there, playing in an inside full-forward line with Kieran Donaghy and I wouldn't move him from there for anything right now. He's learning in there with every game," he says. He possesses much of the toughness and energy associated with his father, if not the high degree of skill, and his progress next year is being awaited eagerly in Kerry.

We have Tommy already now for the other 2 brothers ,Could be the future of the St Kilda F.C :lol:
where is the link?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

jonesy wrote:Enough with the negative reports,just lie...I want more of the "biggest thing since plugger" talk to get me through the pre season
they are already printing his initials on the game ball, what more do you want?

Seeya
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

The last Saint player to have such strong links to a Kerry All Ireland winning team was Barry Breen.

http://www.saints.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=9013

Furtius Quo Rdelious
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

From the first hearing of his fortnight out here last year, this kid has held interest. This combination of having played a game with some similarities, to being completely different to any Irish player to come before him, to the draft camp style test results he produced last year, and more so this year, to Kenneally's comments this week, this is a ride worth being excited about.

He had me after his fortnight here last year, when Dal Santo was blown away by watching him from the boundary line.

He has got us in even more by us hearing RTB say "we're pretty confident he'll make it". If RTB says "we're pretty confident", that means they are REALLY confident.

He'll play in 2010, believe me. And, he'll succeed. If RTB says, on air, "He looks powerful and quick, but he can turn on a sixpence", then RTB rates him.

This fella is going to shake the competetion up like very few have, believe me. He ain't Setanta, he ain't Stynes, he ain't Tadgh. He's big, quick, strong and hungry and in a development program that we can trust.

He's gonna take it by storm, and quickly.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He'll be BOG for sandy rounds 1 to 4, then break into the Saints side after that

Give him until May to be AFL-fit!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Given how conservative our match committee are about bringing in new kids, it wouldn't surprise to see him at Sandy for a while, unless he's totally dominating (or Roo and/or Kosi miss games).
And all the hype about Tommy may motivate our other Tommy to put in a huge pre-season and have a ripper year next year, especially since they'll effectively be fighting for the same spot (3rd tall forward).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Remember when we had Hamill, Fraser, Roo & Koz on the forward line? Sadly due to various injuries it didn't happen to often but when it did, it was hard to beat. WOuld be nice to see that again.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

When we signed Tommy back in Oct the club likened him to a first round draft pick. There have been references to him being like Wayne Carey, Buddy Franklin, Aaron Hamill or Nic Naitanui. Matthew Drain has been very unrestrained in his praise and there were comments in the media such as “The Saints will try to fast-track Walsh's development with the view to playing him beside skipper Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke next year.â€

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So just to get this straight...

we've got a young player that has the strength of Plugger, the speed Naituni, the arrogance/self-belief RE getting the job done that Carey had, the x-factor of Buddy and has the agility a young Aaron Hamil

:shock: :shock: :shock:

i like it

i like it a lot

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Plus he'll hopefully handle the expectations well (from all of us, those in the media, etc.) as he's probably well used to them (being the "son of a great").
Or maybe we've just picked him up (Collingwood- the Clokes style) so that it makes it easier to get his younger brothers!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Plus he'll hopefully handle the expectations well (from all of us, those in the media, etc.) as he's probably well used to them (being the "son of a great").
Or maybe we've just picked him up (Collingwood- the Clokes style) so that it makes it easier to get his younger brothers!
Yes, would happily take a Gaggle of Walshs. However let's take it one low cost superstar at a time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

When Tommy Walsh jumps in a lake, he doesn't get wet. The lake gets Tommy Walshed.

Carpe Diem
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

I'm starting to get excited.

His debut could be the biggest since a tall blonde kid from Brighton created tidal waves in 64.

Go THE TOMMINATOR

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

calm down
:lol:

a rookie who has not played a full game of aussie rules before!!

saint4life