No need to worry, Emma.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
While there's reason to believe it will work, until there's proof, calling out journ's as not having looked deep enough is a bit one-eyed.
I disagree for the reasons I have spelled out in detail.

Peake's time for example has not been wasted.

Emma must not be any good at Poker...for as the song goes you have to "know when to hold them , and know when to fold them".

Deciding not to take a player is just as important as deciding to take a player.Maybe if Peake had started a year earlier we would not have wasted a pick on the "fresh" Howard.

Implying that Peake's time was wasted as we took only two players in the ND is I will repeat a simplistic, and not at all a well thought through argument.

You call that one-eyed...I call it being logical and looking at the "big picture" of list management rather than the one narrow fish bowl of the ND that Emma was fixated on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why anybody would expect any CLub to have a contingency/succession plan for 'generational champions' is beyond me.

How many Riewoldt class players have been selected since we took him?

IMO it is nonsensical to even discuss 'succession plans' for outright champions because history tells us that it just doesn't happen.

Who was the 'succession' replacement for
Buckley at Collingwood
Hird at Essendon
Voss at Brisbane
Ricciutto at Adelaide
Archer at North
Richardson at Richmond

and that's in the last couple of years

Who's the 'succession' replacement for
Brown at Brisbane
Pavlich at Freo
Cox at WCE (maybe Natanui - but he's at least 4 years away from Cox)
Judd at Carlton (Murphy/Gibbs - not in the same ballpark)
Scarlett at Geelong
Franklin at Hawthorn
etc

Saintersss
Club Player

White Winmar wrote: Doesn't the Crows' continued competitiveness warrant a slightly deeper inspection than it currently gets? They have remained competitive and look to be churning over a new batch of players who should ensure they remain so, eg. Vince (Who they stole out from under our noses), Tippett, Dangerfield, Hentschel, Obst et al. How do they keep doing it? How have they remained competitive without top ten draft picks in all but 2 years since they've been in the competition? The conventional wisdom would say they should've "bottomed out" a couple of times, but still they keep challenging.
Here endeth the rant!
Do they? While they haven't bottomed out, they haven't really been contenders. Plus one difference of them compared to us is that they have not traded or taken nearly as many as recycled players as us.

Its like no one can ever say anything bad about Saints or they are a terrible journo and know nothing about football.

I think what everyone is failing to realise is the fact that sure we have some good up and coming talent in Geary, Armo, Steven, McEvoy etc. But other teams who have had lower picks and not traded as many as their picks have much better talent coming through. Its only natural that after being up the top for 5 years (and hopefully a few more years to come) that our youth won't be as strong as other teams. Sure there are teams like Adelaide, Geelong and Sydney who have stayed up without rebuilding. But Geelong have had a lot of success through the Father-Son picking up Ablett, Scarlett, Hawkins and Blake. And Sydney are now going towards the bottom after a long period at the top, and Adelaide as I explained above.

Now lets just see some young players from other teams and compare it to our list. The teams I'll be using are teams already in the 8, so teams out of the 8 will most likely have even better quality youth. Also I won't include late picks who haven't proved anything. Eg. Cahill, Heyne etc.

Quality Players u/23 in Top 8 teams:

Saints:
Armitage, Geary, McEvoy, Stanley, Steven, Lynch.

Hawthorn:
Birchall, Ellis, Dowler, Franklin, Muston, Renouf, Lisle, Rioli, Roughead, Shoenmakers, Whitecross.

Collingwood:
Beams, Brown, Cloke, Dawes, Dick, Pendlebury, Reid, Sidebottom, Thomas.

Carlton:
Austin, Bower, Gibbs, Hampson, Henderson, Joseph, Krezuer, Robinson, Warnock, Yarran, Murphy.

Essendon:
Dempsey, Daniher, Gumbleton, Hurley, Houli, Hooker, Lonergan, Monfries, Neagle, Myers, Pears, Reimers, Ryder, Zaharakis.

So if you look at it, you'd expect in about 3-4 years when our 00/01/02 core are into their 30's, we are going to struggle. I think this is what Emma is kind of getting at. While clubs already have their under 23's playing huge parts in their team, our are struggling for a game. You could say its because our team is too strong to break into, but if we had a Pendlebury or Hurley in the VFL, theres no doubt that they'd be in the squad.

Also the OP states that we are one of the only clubs who are getting kids not from the TAC comp etc. One this is quite naive to think we are the only club doing this, you'd be surprised how many clubs are looking at other players. Eg. Jurrah last year with Melbourne.
And two who exactly have we recruited that weren't out of the TAC cup? As far as I remember all our draftees last year (lynch, heyne, cahill, stanley, smith) were all out of the TAC comp. Sure we got Walsh out of Ireland, but we defiently aren't the only team to get talent from there.

But I'm quite happy that we are trading picks now, because I want that premiership and don't care if we have to spend time down the ladder in a few years to pay for it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Aren't all the ones you've highlighted top 5-6 draft picks?
In which case, is it a fair comparison with players who are picked much later in the draft (other than maybe Armo at 9 - McEvoy is a ruckman and I believe it's unfait to compare him with midfielders due to the much longer development period ruckmen undergo.)?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Aren't all the ones you've highlighted top 5-6 draft picks?
In which case, is it a fair comparison with players who are picked much later in the draft
You are right Mr Magic, which is why I also highlighted the point earlier in this thread that it does not matter if we had traded picks or not...the fact is that we have not finished low enough to get the best draft picks for years.

Bemoaning that he we are not getting such players coming through has naught do with our use of recycled players and everything to to do with that we have not had such picks in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you finish high....you do not get this easy path to quality and you have to work a lot smarter to improve the quality of your team. This is exactly what we are doing.

Maybe posters were prefer us to tank the next couple of years instead in order to secure picks in the the early part??? :roll:
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 05 Dec 2009 8:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintersss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Maybe posters were prefer us to tanl the next couple of years instead in order to secure picks in the the early part??? :roll:
Where did I say that? I said I was happy with what the Saints are doing. I'm just saying Emma is right is saying we are going to struggle, because teams are getting these high picks and we are not, so naturally they will have better quality players then us and therefore be a better team than us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

good thread - some interesting views.

Still think Emma was adding to the wrong theory IMO that we are trading away all youth and have nothing in the cupboard......which is not entirely true.....while we have in some instances done this - we are also taking in younger talent.

I dont see having that view that as "being a sensitive Saints fan who is one eyed..." I just think her views on us are a little cliched.

I know most Premiership sides have come from the young core being developed together and coming through.....but equally ALL Premiership sides have consisted of bigger, mature bodied footballers.......we have the core and are simply aiding that for the "now".

In the end - IF we get that flag this strategy has worked. IF not......we have our work cut out for us no doubt.

“Yeah….nah””
Wigsy
Club Player

I'm not a huge fan of the topping up approach as it ultimately leads to a dwindling of the natural progression of your list. Still, I wouldn't exactly criticise one by one the selections we've made - but I think that's the actual problem: yes, taking an experienced player at a later pick will always look a better pick than some stab in the dark, but you miss out on the POSSIBILITY of getting a Fisher or a Gilbert, ie a chance to really improve your list over the longer term.

Smith is 23 and has enough ability that he could walk into our top 22. Pattison is 23 and is there as security. I have no qualms with those. And Lovett, while hardly a kid, addresses a need. I'm not sure what Peake is bringing at late 20s and in competition with Lovett, Geary and Steven. The latter is probably twelve months maximum away from overtaking all of that group. So while I'm happy enough with the ages and the rationale for taking these guys, I hope we return to the kids next year.

Whatever Quayle's failings, the general point that we are not going to have a huge amount of untapped improvement is correct. Yes, we have Lynch, Armitage, Steven, McEvoy, Stanley, and Walsh, but at least two or three of those would need to be absolute guns to compete with the improvement that will come from other non top 8 teams.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
ace
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: Doesn't the Crows' continued competitiveness warrant a slightly deeper inspection than it currently gets? They have remained competitive and look to be churning over a new batch of players who should ensure they remain so, eg. Vince (Who they stole out from under our noses), Tippett, Dangerfield, Hentschel, Obst et al. How do they keep doing it? How have they remained competitive without top ten draft picks in all but 2 years since they've been in the competition? The conventional wisdom would say they should've "bottomed out" a couple of times, but still they keep challenging.
Here endeth the rant!

They have MONEY.

They spent twice as much money on their new HQ as St Kilda plans and unlike St Kild'a greenfield site with a new building shell, they already had a stadium building into which to build.

Even the new stadium at the Adelaide Cricket Ground is to be paid for by the state government.
Meanwhile the cost of construction and AFL eventual acquisition of the Docklands stadium are built into the rental price at Docklands.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
groupie1
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:She's hardly a junior writer, been around for ages. One or two good articles do not a writer make. I think in general she's sloppy and regurgitates a lot of information that is widely known already. I find her analysis shallow, or entirely absent. Writing "puff pieces" about teenage footballers hardly qualifies her as excellent at her craft. Matt Burgan does a far better job of analysing the draft and making predictions. He's been doing it longer and much better than EQ. Then again it's all a matter of opinion. For mine, she's very average at best. Anyhow, I don't want this to degenerate into a p**sing contest about Emma Quayle. The robust discussion about our list, its current and future states is what this was meant to be about.
Nah, f*** it. What the hell. Let's turn it into a pissing context.
Everyone criticise EQ while pissing as far as you can. Mark the distance reached. Record it on this forum, along with the criticism made.
At the end, we can judge the criticisms on a scale of 1 to 5 (where 5 is good and 1 is bad. They can be witty, smart, analytical, whatever your preference) AND the longest pissing distance in metres. Multiply the scores and whoever's highest wins.
(for example, if my criticism was rated as 3 and I pissed two metres, my score would be 3*2 = 6)

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SAINTERS you left a heap of our 23 year olds out!!!

SAINTERSSS you left a heap of our 23 year olds out!!!

GILBERT, RAY, McQUALTER, GWILT, MILES - SMITH & PATTISON.

If you include the above and WALSH (an expected success) our younger player list compares very well with the other clubs...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i think sainterss said UNDER 23. so his post is a darn good one and very illustrative!

we do seem to have a stack of players who are actually 23 though...

anyway i thought i would do a team of our players 25 and under. pretty darn good side taking the field in 2013/14...

miles zac gilbert (vice captain)
smith simpkin geary
winmar steven ray
heyne walsh goddard (captain)
mcqualter lynch gwilt

stanley armo cj

int from:
cahill mcevoy johnson schenider pattison raph
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 07 Dec 2009 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
While there's reason to believe it will work, until there's proof, calling out journ's as not having looked deep enough is a bit one-eyed.
I disagree for the reasons I have spelled out in detail.

Peake's time for example has not been wasted.

Emma must not be any good at Poker...for as the song goes you have to "know when to hold them , and know when to fold them".

Deciding not to take a player is just as important as deciding to take a player.Maybe if Peake had started a year earlier we would not have wasted a pick on the "fresh" Howard.

Implying that Peake's time was wasted as we took only two players in the ND is I will repeat a simplistic, and not at all a well thought through argument.

You call that one-eyed...I call it being logical and looking at the "big picture" of list management rather than the one narrow fish bowl of the ND that Emma was fixated on.
Wow, seriously, wow.

You take the one-liner about Peake only getting 2 shots at the ND to demonstrate a lack of reasearch and quality in an article and claim that isn't one eyed?

We'll make a bunch of assumptions (Peake's process and influence) that will support what we want to believe... because apparently that's the big picture.

Take that Emma!

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Take that Emma!
Not really. Unlike some in this thread I enjoy most of what Emma writes, and I rate her highly as a sports journo.

However I stand by my opinion that this was lightweight fluff piece not up to her normal standard. (And this was probably what her editor wanted on the day.....).

I disagree with the parts discussed for the reasons I have outlined.

That I normally rate her writings highly does not colour my view on this one.

Besides this thread is now a lot more that on just what Emma wrote and has evolved in an interesting discussing on recruiting/list mangement.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTERS you left a heap of our 23 year olds out!!!

WinnersOnly wrote:SAINTERSSS you left a heap of our 23 year olds out!!!

If you include the above and WALSH (an expected success) our younger player list compares very well with the other clubs...
everyone u said is 23. sainterss used players UNDER 23. so his stats are legit. his argument stands.

bozza1980
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

everyone u said is 23. sainterss used players UNDER 23. so his stats are legit. his argument stands.
True the argument stands that we don't have many quality players under 23 at this moment in time. It was a well thought out point too, I definitely don't have the patience to have investigated it as deeply.

However the secondary point was that in 5 years we will be weak.

This is where I disagree.

The club seems to be succesfully adding to the middle-tier age bracket and I would assume they will continue to do so in coming years.

If they continue this succesfully you could assume that they would have more 25-28 year olds on the list in 5 years than they have under 23's now.

At the end of the day it may well blow up in our faces but I think that our strategy has been sound. Apart from King and Gardiner (who were both recruited to fill a specific hole) and Lovett (who is a freak) all our recylcled's have been of an age where they could play 100-150+ games for the club. The club is not ignoring youth as it is being accused, it is just going for slightly older youths.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

True the argument stands that we don't have many quality players under 23 at this moment in time. It was a well thought out point too, I definitely don't have the patience to have investigated it as deeply.

However the secondary point was that in 5 years we will be weak.

This is where I disagree.

The club seems to be succesfully adding to the middle-tier age bracket and I would assume they will continue to do so in coming years.

If they continue this succesfully you could assume that they would have more 25-28 year olds on the list in 5 years than they have under 23's now.

At the end of the day it may well blow up in our faces but I think that our strategy has been sound. Apart from King and Gardiner (who were both recruited to fill a specific hole) and Lovett (who is a freak) all our recylcled's have been of an age where they could play 100-150+ games for the club. The club is not ignoring youth as it is being accused, it is just going for slightly older youths.
its also quite different than the 1990's where the recruitment of players was all late 20's took in older hacks or players who were over the hill anyway.

still think we need to keep recuiting young players ..

no matter what older players in say mid 20's all come with flaws or else they would have stayed with their original clubs.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Crass and totally unneccasary post deleted

Duggie1
Club Player

Is Quail shooting in Victoria banned? Pardon the poor spelling. :lol:

Always a Saint