Lovett sues for bullying

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Lovett sues for bullying

I'm no lawyer but I would have thought this is hard to prove. Especially if you are not at the club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... -oduw.html

Furtius Quo Rdelious
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

This whole thing just keeps getting better and better.
The club may want to "wipe their hands of him", but it seems pretty clear he's not going to just go quietly. This could be extremely costly for the club, in more ways than one, if it isn't very careful of how it deals with the situation.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
S.A Saint
Club Player

lol he will wont win s***....

from the article........

In the notice of complaint prepared by Lovett's lawyers for the AFL grievance tribunal - the sitting of which is now unclear given Lovett's sacking on Tuesday - various examples that Lovett's lawyers say constitute workplace bullying are provided. They include:

? Lovett's enforced isolation from St Kilda's playing and coaching group from the time he became the subject of a police investigation that this week resulted in a charge of rape........ he was not fully isolated and was still being coached by the development coach couple times a week...him being isolated was because other players may testify about the incident....

? A claim that St Kilda's senior coach Ross Lyon has not contacted Lovett since December 24........... he has every right not to contact him because he was susspended and he probably told him that when everything gets cleared or more facts of the situation become available then he will get in touch with him....

? Lovett's exclusion from a team photo that appeared in the Herald Sun on February 2........... big deal im sure they could have cropped him in...plus he was suspended and had a court case which other witnesses would have been their.....

Lovett's mental health - the player went public about his battle with depression in 2006 - is raised in the notice......... whats that got to do with us....doesnt seem depressed to go out and hit the grog and party.....

Lovett's legal team believes that St Kilda has provided him with insufficient support in respect of the allegations made against him........ if they go by that then his legal team are dumber than him...

The Age learnt yesterday that Lovett's lawyers were also investigating a text message they believe was sent to St Kilda's playing list, which allegedly told players that Lovett should not be contacted........... this would be due to him having to face chardges and they didnt want anyone to be incontact with him so that it doesnt affect the case since there may be witnesses to be called upon in the group....

he is just digging his grave deeper and deeper..if i was him id be using all the money that he has against his rape charge instead of him complaining about why he got sacked....grow up ffs

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Well it would seem quite obvious that Samantha Lane is going to be the recipient of Lovett's 'information leaking' in this attempt to 'negotiate a settlement' with the Club.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Well it would seem quite obvious that Samantha Lane is going to be the recipient of Lovett's 'information leaking'...
Which is good. At least she will report it without any sanctimonious baggage, as she has done in this case.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

For any of those claims to stand he has to first demonstrate that the sacking was unlawful. Monies lost are only lost if you can prove you were likely to have earned them in the first place.

And the more he tries to go for, the higher the bills - Supreme Court action alone will cost both sides $100,000 plus.

What kind of precedent would it set, if you could sue for being told not to turn up to work in spite of being paid your full wage?

Sounds like management and legal team greed more than anything else... let's see how far it actually goes.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The psychology behind decisions.

Use a female journalist to disseminate your side of the story when your client is charged with rape/sexual assault.

Much like using a female barrister when defending a male charged with rape.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

you know until this article came out, i thought that lovett suing, or lovett being sacked would not derail the saints season. but i now believe the opposite. I can't help but now think, that the saints being in the papers and being suied for millions will derail the saints.

unfortunately!

what do you think?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:you know until this article came out, i thought that lovett suing, or lovett being sacked would not derail the saints season. but i now believe the opposite. I can't help but now think, that the saints being in the papers and being suied for millions will derail the saints.

unfortunately!

what do you think?
I don't think it will do anything to derail the playing side of things.
It's an issue for teh Admin and their legal advisors.

Much like the GT vs St Kilda lawsuit last year.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him....

His lawyers are going to bleed him dry.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

AL is full of crap. He is , Im sure, now going to get upset and nasty and try and screw the club anyway he can. Time to fight fire with fire. I SINCERELY hope the club has its s*** sorted and has fully thought this through before taking this action. Cant help but a feel a touch uneasy regarding that last point.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I have kept out of the AL threads on opinion the last few months, because I feel uneasy having an opinion on something so terribly shocking.

As this progresses, I will not be impressed to see anyone but the victim portrayed as the victim.

As far as how it affects the playing group, I cannot see it affecting the group in it's entirety. What I can see it may affect individual players more significantly.
Last edited by SainterK on Thu 18 Feb 2010 9:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

The mind boggles how anyone can take Lovett's side. The guy has acted like a wanka since he came to the club, three strikes he's out.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Batnoe

We're now a professional club

There are 1000's of major companies that would have law suits hanging over their heads.... They get on with the job...

We will too!

Sainterman
Club Player

IMO if he is going this way then he really must be on shaky ground with regards to the unlawful termination side of things. I would have thought this might have been the area his lawyers would target, but bullying, come on!

Anyway, good luck to him, the more that I read, see and hear the happier I am he is no longer at our club, and even happier he was hardly there in the first place.

I think there will be come effect on the playing group but probably only minimal. Sam Fisher and Jason Gram were named in Sam Lane's article and these 2 will probably have some involvement in the upcoming rape case. Shame for them.

GrumpyOne

S.A Saint wrote: Lovett's mental health - the player went public about his battle with depression in 2006 - is raised in the notice......... whats that got to do with us....doesnt seem depressed to go out and hit the grog and party.....
Don't disagree with the general thrust of your post SAS, just that one underlined point.

There is a very close correlation between depression and over-consumption of substances.

Sainterman
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
S.A Saint wrote: Lovett's mental health - the player went public about his battle with depression in 2006 - is raised in the notice......... whats that got to do with us....doesnt seem depressed to go out and hit the grog and party.....
Don't disagree with the general thrust of your post SAS, just that one underlined point.

There is a very close correlation between depression and over-consumption of substances.
Absolutely agree on this one, call it a crutch or an escape but substance abuse is very common when it comes to depression.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Hope our legal side got it right.

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

workplace bullying???

GrumpyOne

chook23 wrote:Hope our legal side got it right.
I am convinced that an agreement has been made between the AFL and the Saints that the AFL will cover the costs of our legal action.

The AFL is desperate with the two new clubs coming on line to have a moral differential between us and the bum-sniffers in Rugby League. They will pay to protect the brand.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:Lovett's mental health - the player went public about his battle with depression in 2006 - is raised in the notice......... whats that got to do with us....doesnt seem depressed to go out and hit the grog and party.....
wow, you really don't know anything about depression, do ya?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it effects people diff
i dont drink so when i got depressed (it can happen to anyone for any reason)
i didnt think about drink
i thought about driving fast in my car

different folks
different strokes

stinger
Saintsational Legend

vicious circle......alcohol and dope are depressants......cause you to go deeper into that black hole.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

No sympathy here. Jog on.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what do you think stinger?
you reckon its gonna turn into a s*** fight?

you think the club did the right thing?

from my limited experience in unions i think they did

and is this going to drag out ALL year??
not exactly what the club needs around september