reminds me of 97/98

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: :lol: :lol: ....the initial thread was a tongue in cheek attempt at sick/ black humour......missed the mark obviously with some.... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote::wink: :lol: :lol: ....the initial thread was a tongue in cheek attempt at sick/ black humour......missed the mark obviously with some.... :evil:
Aw, c'mon Stng, you pull that line every time...it ruins the fun. :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
stinger wrote::wink: :lol: :lol: ....the initial thread was a tongue in cheek attempt at sick/ black humour......missed the mark obviously with some.... :evil:
Aw, c'mon Stng, you pull that line every time...it ruins the fun. :wink:

do i???/f***......the memory must be going.... :wink: :wink: :twisted:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
maverick wrote:Surely people are joking when they think we lost another GF and it hurts as much as last September.
I don't think they are............................just re-ignites the pain of 09 GF

certainly has in my case...

plus so many on this forum just think we will just automatically make it this year....

My experience tells me it will be so bloody hard

hence the reaction last night and today..............not so much re last night
but 09 and how hard it is.
I will be more upset if we lost round one. Surely losing the GF of practice matches takes at least 10 minutes to get over. Will never get over 2009 GF.
This +1.

Didn't enjoy losing, but was more upset about the Fisher injury than the loss.

Just remember, if we had have lost to Collingwood in R1, we would have been unsighted until the first H&A game.

last season I saw us in one of the worst games of football ever for my displeasure to see in a praccy match at Optus Oval. This was followed by a almost ten goal loss to port in our final praccy match.

Then in R1 v Sydney we hadn't scored a goal in the first qtr and looked shot.

Does anyone remember our intensity in rounds 20,21 and 22 last year? Suddenly in the finals our intensity went up 30%.

Until we show in the H&A our intensity and tackling has dropped away, I wont panic.

Lets just see, shall we?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

plastic cup

not too bothered

the injuries are the f***ed bit

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Stinger; I'll "tell you what you said that was wrong FFS" The OP makes no contribution to the Saints cause. The period you refer to (97-98) has NO bearing on how the Saint Kilda Football Club fares TODAY! As other posters correctly pointed out to you. While we're studying history, just how did "Carey tearing us a new arsehole" help North Melbourne when it came to the REAL GF in 1998?
The 1997 GF? Well if we want to be selective about it, yes we faded in the final quarter. If we look to find REASONS then not having a halfway decent ruckman (No Everitt, or Vidovic) on the day, Winmar and Loewe in no frame of mind for such a game and the result looks to be more complex than simply a "fadeout"
Of course we're all unhappy at losing a GF...but d'you know something? I'll lose the next TEN rather than have the safety and comfort of mid-table or even worse the Wooden spoon!
You suggest that I "get a grip on reality?" Mate, I have NO problem confronting reality...I've been a member for long enough now to be well-aqquainted with the reality of following the Saints. One of the major problems for our club is that there are too many who at the first sign of a challenge, start finding precedents with the worse periods of our history!
I've sat by 'em. I've listened to 'em writing us off with a quarter of the game gone. I've seen 'em streaming for the exits before the final siren.
My view on 'em? well they've every right to their own opinion, but by gum, I dont have to give 'em comfort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many Sainters are still scared witless at the prospect of the pressure of being a top-flight club (with all the challenges that go with it) after all if you never win then there's no expectation/pressure on you, its much more comfortable. ME? I've been in the "comfort zone" and if its a choice between an endless challenge of WINNING a flag and being perrenial contenders and the "comfort" of mid-table or worse...then I'm prepared to risk the heartache every time!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Stinger; I'll "tell you what you said that was wrong FFS" The OP makes no contribution to the Saints cause. The period you refer to (97-98) has NO bearing on how the Saint Kilda Football Club fares TODAY! As other posters correctly pointed out to you. While we're studying history, just how did "Carey tearing us a new arsehole" help North Melbourne when it came to the REAL GF in 1998?
The 1997 GF? Well if we want to be selective about it, yes we faded in the final quarter. If we look to find REASONS then not having a halfway decent ruckman (No Everitt, or Vidovic) on the day, Winmar and Loewe in no frame of mind for such a game and the result looks to be more complex than simply a "fadeout"
Of course we're all unhappy at losing a GF...but d'you know something? I'll lose the next TEN rather than have the safety and comfort of mid-table or even worse the Wooden spoon!
You suggest that I "get a grip on reality?" Mate, I have NO problem confronting reality...I've been a member for long enough now to be well-aqquainted with the reality of following the Saints. One of the major problems for our club is that there are too many who at the first sign of a challenge, start finding precedents with the worse periods of our history!
I've sat by 'em. I've listened to 'em writing us off with a quarter of the game gone. I've seen 'em streaming for the exits before the final siren.
My view on 'em? well they've every right to their own opinion, but by gum, I dont have to give 'em comfort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many Sainters are still scared witless at the prospect of the pressure of being a top-flight club (with all the challenges that go with it) after all if you never win then there's no expectation/pressure on you, its much more comfortable. ME? I've been in the "comfort zone" and if its a choice between an endless challenge of WINNING a flag and being perrenial contenders and the "comfort" of mid-table or worse...then I'm prepared to risk the heartache every time!

i thought before you posted that crap that you were a genuine supporter and a half decent chap...obviously i was wrong on the second point..not so sure on the first.....i am entitled to an opinion...sorry if that gets up your nose......but tough s***.....you have never sat next to me and heard me bag the saints...never have...never will....nor do i leave games early...never have...never will..to me that is just giving comfort to your enemies...and they are f****** enemies.....what i said stands...sick of some hero giving it to us in the last quarter in grand finals.....and still waiting for one of ours to stand up and do the same.....i reckon i have probably supported my club as long as..if not longer than you...and i don't need a lecture from you on how to go about it ffs.....i said before for you to get a grip...maybe that's your problem...get your hand off it and let the blood return to you head...big head...not the little one ffs.... :roll: :roll:

you said..

"One of the major problems for our club is that there are too many who at the first sign of a challenge, start finding precedents with the worse periods of our history!'

if you are including me in that, i find it to be f****** insulting.... :evil:

and for a supposed long term supporter like you...you should know better...it is not the saint kilda football club...never has been...ffs...

afwiw...you started the get a grip crap...or have you forgotten...here's your post

"What a bloody awful thread! Talk about whingers! GET A GRIP!!!!!!!
Or don't bother!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil'

_________________ :roll: :roll: :roll:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I take it from that response that you and I agree to disagree then Stinger :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets meet up for a drink pre-match and have a reconciliation.
Sorry if you thought I was attacking YOU personally it was not my intention and if my post upset you then please accept my apology. My barbed comments about SOME supporters were supposed to be of a genral nature and not intended for you personally.

Have a good one and best regards.

Dave :D

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

2010 is not 1998!

We are the captains of our destiny or whatever it says in that cr%ppy Mandela film.

History will not repeat itself...in '98 I still felt inferior to the other clubs. Now I laugh at the blues and Bombers. they are kidding themselves!

If we finish 5th or 6th, who will be in the top four? it will be a 'soft' group at the top. ready for us to pounce, just like the Crows did 'back in the day'......!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:2010 is not 1998!

We are the captains of our destiny or whatever it says in that cr%ppy Mandela film.

History will not repeat itself...in '98 I still felt inferior to the other clubs. Now I laugh at the blues and Bombers. they are kidding themselves!

If we finish 5th or 6th, who will be in the top four? it will be a 'soft' group at the top. ready for us to pounce, just like the Crows did 'back in the day'......!
Lets be realistic, a chance at the premiership requires top four, no less.

While the Crows are often referred to as the exception, when they won the 97 flag, they actually finished in the top four but under the old top eight pecking order, they were required to win three straight finals to play off in the big dance.

In 98, not only did they finish fifth but they also lost their first final, but because other results fell in their favour, they still progressed to the second round of the finals.

While one year, there will probably be an exception to the current finals structure that will bob from fifth and end up in the grand final, any team that fair dinkum wants a crack at the flag, top four is their aim.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
maverick wrote:Surely people are joking when they think we lost another GF and it hurts as much as last September.
I don't think they are............................just re-ignites the pain of 09 GF

certainly has in my case...

plus so many on this forum just think we will just automatically make it this year....

My experience tells me it will be so bloody hard

hence the reaction last night and today..............not so much re last night
but 09 and how hard it is.
I will be more upset if we lost round one. Surely losing the GF of practice matches takes at least 10 minutes to get over. Will never get over 2009 GF.
This +1.

Didn't enjoy losing, but was more upset about the Fisher injury than the loss.

Just remember, if we had have lost to Collingwood in R1, we would have been unsighted until the first H&A game.

last season I saw us in one of the worst games of football ever for my displeasure to see in a praccy match at Optus Oval. This was followed by a almost ten goal loss to port in our final praccy match.

Then in R1 v Sydney we hadn't scored a goal in the first qtr and looked shot.

Does anyone remember our intensity in rounds 20,21 and 22 last year? Suddenly in the finals our intensity went up 30%.

Until we show in the H&A our intensity and tackling has dropped away, I wont panic.

Lets just see, shall we?
I apologise for the multi quote....

I think some people need to harden the hell up.

Losing the NAB cup means sweet **** all.

We have a twenty two game marathon about to start.

REAL grand finals are hellishly hard to make.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Remembering Real finals game against Swans in 98

maverick said
" Surely people are joking when they think we lost another GF and it hurts as much as last September."

I'm still having flashbacks of McQualter; Milne and Sneids missing very gettable goals for the cool minded heroes they want to be but i had totally forgotten loosing a previous nab gf to the boot of Carey in '98. What i remember very well in '98 was loosing a vital finals game against sydney in sydney. Nicky Winmar came agonisingly close to grubbing us a winning goal in torrential rain right at a second to midnight. Who knows how the team dynamic may have developed if St.Kilda had won ?????

Round 1 against sydey and Paul Roos is the real test make no doubt.

If we can win that i'll be rapt with our pre-season prep !!

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I take it from that response that you and I agree to disagree then Stinger :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets meet up for a drink pre-match and have a reconciliation.
Sorry if you thought I was attacking YOU personally it was not my intention and if my post upset you then please accept my apology. My barbed comments about SOME supporters were supposed to be of a genral nature and not intended for you personally.

Have a good one and best regards.

Dave :D

apology accepted mate.....you are on for the drink...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by stinger on Tue 16 Mar 2010 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The ability of any team to win relies hugely on the talent mix on the field. We were suddenly down two big blokes in '97 GF, when we were doing well up to that game, and our slowness in the backline got exploited by clever coaching. Fast forward to '09..sure we missed a few sitters, but a big problem was poor contributions from the forwards overall and a team selection issue.
I wouldn't have had Kosi at full forward as his form was patchy coming into the finals and I would have gone with a more mobile player, considering the heavy weather conditions were predicted in the week leading up to the day..and once the ball hit the ground in contests, that was the end of Kosi as it wasn't conditions for big marking, and Geelong got the ball out a bit too easy, so we effectively were one player down.
The conditions were perfect for nuggety blokes like Chapman and Ablett and I would have at least liked to have seen Gwilt, Eddy or Geary on the ground (not as talented as the Geelong pair, but more useful in heavy conditions than a tall in average form)

I still believe we have issues at full forward, and I still need to see more goals from midfielders and flankers -I get a horrible feeling that too much is being left to Roo again.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The ability of any team to win relies hugely on the talent mix on the field. We were suddenly down two big blokes in '97 GF, when we were doing well up to that game, and our slowness in the backline got exploited by clever coaching. Fast forward to '09..sure we missed a few sitters, but a big problem was poor contributions from the forwards overall and a team selection issue.
I wouldn't have had Kosi at full forward as his form was patchy coming into the finals and I would have gone with a more mobile player, considering the heavy weather conditions were predicted in the week leading up to the day..and once the ball hit the ground in contests, that was the end of Kosi as it wasn't conditions for big marking, and Geelong got the ball out a bit too easy, so we effectively were one player down.
The conditions were perfect for nuggety blokes like Chapman and Ablett and I would have at least liked to have seen Gwilt, Eddy or Geary on the ground (not as talented as the Geelong pair, but more useful in heavy conditions than a tall in average form)

I still believe we have issues at full forward, and I still need to see more goals from midfielders and flankers -I get a horrible feeling that too much is being left to Roo again.

good post ...

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

HarveysDeciple wrote:You need luck to make a grand final certainly.

And whatever way we paint it we missed a hell of a chance last year.

However half way through 98 we were looking excellent. Sitting on top. 5 wins in a row, everyone up and about.

Then inexplicably it collapsed, it appeared from the the outside that their was a lot of infighting between players and coach etc, volatile characters like Hall and Winmar went awol.

And also if you read Stan Alves book it was ticking time bomb between coach and board.

One would imagine such a disintegration is beyond this group.
Yes you are probably right, this group does seem to have a bit more substance. But football clubs are a funny place. Lose a few games that everyone would have expected us to win and the pressure gets to some people - players, board members, supporters aiike. Media then starts talking of lost chances, premiership windows closing, champions never playing in a premiership - it can all turn to poo quickly.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The ability of any team to win relies hugely on the talent mix on the field. We were suddenly down two big blokes in '97 GF, when we were doing well up to that game, and our slowness in the backline got exploited by clever coaching. Fast forward to '09..sure we missed a few sitters, but a big problem was poor contributions from the forwards overall and a team selection issue.

8 missed shots at goal.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

8 missed shots at goal.

didn't help did it??...the poster from the gram 9 point attempt...so near....so far...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:

8 missed shots at goal.

didn't help did it??...the poster from the gram 9 point attempt...so near....so far...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
I was referring to the GF, but there would have been just as many for the NAB Cup GF...Gram's 2 shots, Geary's near miss, plus BJ. Could have been a very different picture heading into the 4th quarter. Never mind, I don't read much into it (obviously).

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yeah...sorry got distracted there.....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We lost gallantly in 2009. Cant say that about 1997.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: reminds me of 97/98

stinger wrote:...sick and tired of losing grand finals...especially two in a row ffs......went to the 97 grannie...followed it up with the 98 pre season grannie out out waverley when carey tore us a new arsehole in the last quarter..and now 09/10 ffs.....gawd i hate those last quarter fade outs when some hero on the other side makes himself into a flowering legend at our expense...keddie, jarmen, carey and now f****** hall....will the list never end....wtf is our hero.....

My thoughts as well

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Please don't remind me of 97/98

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If geelong can make three in a row, there is no reason we can't.
We also lost the 65 Grand Final and came back and won 66.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
...sick and tired of losing grand finals...especially two in a row ffs......went to the 97 grannie...followed it up with the 98 pre season grannie out out waverley when carey tore us a new arsehole in the last quarter..and now 09/10 ffs.....gawd i hate those last quarter fade outs when some hero on the other side makes himself into a flowering legend at our expense...keddie, jarmen, carey and now f****** hall....will the list never end....wtf is our hero.....
Fraser in 2004? :wink:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor