Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sam Gilbert

Sam Gilbert is the perfect modern mobile defender in my opinion. He is tall but mobile can play like a speedy, elusive mid or key position player, tackles chases is evasive when in control of the ball and uses it well when he disposes. He seems to have a few on here that say he plays one sided but never looks rushed into making mistakes. He over took S. fisher by the end of last season IMO and continued it into the NAB. It looks like he has more to deal with without Fisher at back him up but is going along beautifully at the moment.

Saw him down in St kilda the other night and he was walking with his girl friend? when a fan and her kids got a bit over exited after realising who it was and wanted pics and autographs. He could have easily kept going and pretended not to notice but seemed to be a genuine humble bloke. He is a real find does anyone know where he went in the draft? He would have been a bargain at any pick but I dont recall him being a high pick.

El Wood
Club Player

Gilbert went pick 33 in the 2005 draft.

Interestingly, Brisbane took Wayde Mills at pick 25 that year, and as with Gilbo, also a defender from Southport. Mills was delisted at the end of 2008. Brisbane took the wrong one.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else notice how we went flat when he copped one across the ear in the second quarter?

Very important player for us.

Particularly whilst Sam Fisher's out.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic player, we are so privlidged to have so many fantastic mid sized runners in Gilbert, Fisher, Gram, Goddard etc. if we can get Smith up and running it would be downright scary...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
roxanne
Club Player

He's got a lot on his shoulders at the moment. Loved the way he ran the game out. Was absolutely stuffed on the siren ...as were most of them.
Not bad when you're winning by 100 points.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
doppler effect
Club Player

Re: Sam Gilbert

gringo wrote:Sam Gilbert is the perfect modern mobile defender in my opinion. He over took S. fisher by the end of last season IMO and continued it into the NAB.
Couldn't agree more. I think is our best back and one of the best in the AFL.

He really should have been in the All Australian team last year. I don't see why he wasn't selected.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

El Wood wrote:Gilbert went pick 33 in the 2005 draft.

Interestingly, Brisbane took Wayde Mills at pick 25 that year, and as with Gilbo, also a defender from Southport. Mills was delisted at the end of 2008. Brisbane took the wrong one.
Sorry to disagree, but in my opinion, they took the right one :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I love his work. He's just about my favourite to watch.
I expect he'll be AA this year if he continues on like this. Unless you play an outrageously good season, you don't seem to get selected unless you have a couple of good ones in a row.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

If he could kick both feet he would be almost perfect.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i love the bloke. geez hes good. in our top 10 players easy and is a possible top 5-er in a year or 2 they way he is going....

he did quieten down (along with sammy ) later last year. i reckon the club is smarter this year at managing the lads so they peak later in the year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbert would be highly desired by the new Gold Coast team, given his age, ability and Surfers upbringing. It would be comforting to learn the he was signed by the Saints for the next three years. Can anybody advise his contractural status?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Gilbert would be highly desired by the new Gold Coast team, given his age, ability and Surfers upbringing. It would be comforting to learn the he was signed by the Saints for the next three years. Can anybody advise his contractural status?
I thought that he was brought up in Northern NSW, just over the border !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Gilbert would be highly desired by the new Gold Coast team, given his age, ability and Surfers upbringing. It would be comforting to learn the he was signed by the Saints for the next three years. Can anybody advise his contractural status?
He's stitched up. First year of a new 3 yr deal, isn't he?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

he's contracted till the end of 2011

and i agree with fingers
if he had a right foot, he WOULD be a bloody superstar

its the only thing that bothers me
other than that, i think he is great and is one of my fav players
love watching him take em on, side step and push off.

Saint4Eva
Club Player

I dont think its a major problem Sam not being a decent right boot. His side step and speed able him to get to that trusty left boot 99% of the time.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert

gringo wrote:
Saw him down in St kilda the other night and he was walking with his girl friend? when a fan and her kids got a bit over exited after realising who it was and wanted pics and autographs. He could have easily kept going and pretended not to notice but seemed to be a genuine humble bloke. He is a real find does anyone know where he went in the draft? He would have been a bargain at any pick but I dont recall him being a high pick.
good to see the young ones following the captain's example-- Nick is always ( well almost) the last to leave the autograph hunters

Maverick's story in the training thread reiterates Sam's ability to be connected- when asked his name he then asked the very young lady for hers which made her feel special...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint4Eva wrote:I dont think its a major problem Sam not being a decent right boot. His side step and speed able him to get to that trusty left boot 99% of the time.
its never too late to improve on his right. i remember aker wasnt as 2-sided when he started as everyone knows him to be now.

so if sam works on his right he can still be good on it by the time he is 25.

hes still awesome.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:he's contracted till the end of 2011

and i agree with fingers
if he had a right foot, he WOULD be a bloody superstar

its the only thing that bothers me
other than that, i think he is great and is one of my fav players
love watching him take em on, side step and push off.
So GWS are more of a chance...

Which is to say he's unlikely to leave us unless he was to ask for a trade or be traded.

Given where I liveI watch the GC's development pretty closely. I'm not sure Saints will be on GC's shop list. Our uncontracteds are either ill fitting or too old.

Remember too that GC already has a pretty awesome core of talent. Although they theoretically have 16 uncontracteds to chase at season end they'll only go after 5 or 6 guns.

I reckon they'll go hard after Ablett, Franklin, Roughead, Cooney and Boyd (who I'm led to believe are out of contract - is this correct????).

They're midfield is prob two short on experienced, tough units, so Ablett is prob considered a must. Maybe one or two other mids. FWIW Daniel Harris is in awesome nick. Fit and keen as.

Other than that they'll look for two key defenders, another two key forwards to joing N Ablett, and a range of Goddard-esque utilities.

Their smalls/small meds are incredibly good already. Brandon Matera, David Swallow, Sam Iles, Marc Lock, Mav Weller, Luke Russell are all close to or if not AFL standard players aleady. They also have a couple of indigenous fellas in Roland Ah Chee (freakish athlete), Liam Patrick (Liam Jurrah's cousin), and Rex Liddy (kinda Motlop Mk 2) who all look pretty special early days.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's a gun who has developed steeply each of his four completed years at the club and in two games this year that trend has showed no sign of abating :D .

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Todays HS has some 2010 stats for Gilbert-

No player has won more ball off the opposition as much as Gilbert.

His eight marks from opposition kicks ranks no. 1 in the AFL but he is more than capable at ground level, winning the ball nine times. His good skills have also seen the saints score six goals from his possession gains from turn overs- ranked no.1 in the competition.

And I thought he wasn't going quite as well without S. Fisher there. I think All Australian is looking pretty good at that rate.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I was thinking about it the other day, and I know it is very early days. But I think every player that made AA last year will do it again this year, only I think they will be joined by CJ and Gilbo this time around... here's hoping anyways...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!