Dawson or Goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Geezer
Club Player

zac's a product of our defensive system we play. from a stoppage up the ground all oyr defensers play in front of their respective opponents and in a zone formation. guarding space, not a man.
when this zone breaks down the players are somewhat out of position and have to turn and backtrack to play matchup football on the fly. zac usually being the last one back has the toughest assignment to get back and play on his man.
he is ok from behind, but like most players when they are in front of the opponent they struggle to get back as the opposition player has the "sit'
doesnt happen very often but when it does t stands out big time.
noted he doesn't judge the ball through the air the best and his timing is sometimes a bit out, but in the system we play, his speed and the ability to get back and help out is invaluable to the team.
our back 6 is strong as a cohesive unit. . . .they wont be star players but they work great as a unit.
much like sydneys back 6 a few years back.
no great standouts but everyone was there for each other and rock solid.
dont underestimate that our back 6 has played almost every game together without injuries in 18months. thats the key.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
35...LEGEND
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:Anyone notice J Blake at the end of the pies game ..?
Yes. I watch ed the last quarter again last night on Bigpond and noticed that as well.

I think Blakey was part exited..and part wanting to fire up Zac.

Maybe.....looked to me like.........forget them Fu&$tard umpires mate,they're $hit...you done a good job............chin up,be happy,WE WON. :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

We do need a whipping boy regardless of being on top of the ladder, so it must be Zac's turn. Zac will settle down and be solid for us this year.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I've seen Barry Hall take Goose apart.
Re-match this weekend? I wonder if Voss will play him man on man at FB? If so, it'd be the first time this season Goose will have had the blowtorch applied (unlike Zac, who's had the hard job each week). The results will be more telling if he does.

However, regardless of the results, it's not going to change a thing for us, so I only watch with mild interest.

Saintsfan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I've seen Barry Hall take Goose apart.
Re-match this weekend? I wonder if Voss will play him man on man at FB? If so, it'd be the first time this season Goose will have had the blowtorch applied (unlike Zac, who's had the hard job each week). The results will be more telling if he does.

However, regardless of the results, it's not going to change a thing for us, so I only watch with mild interest.
Merrett to take BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBH with Goose floating around and becoming the third man into a contest from in front would be ideal.

The Saintsfan Cometh
na exa
Club Player

zac's a product of our defensive system we play. from a stoppage up the ground all oyr defensers play in front of their respective opponents and in a zone formation. guarding space, not a man.
when this zone breaks down the players are somewhat out of position and have to turn and backtrack to play matchup football on the fly. zac usually being the last one back has the toughest assignment to get back and play on his man.
he is ok from behind, but like most players when they are in front of the opponent they struggle to get back as the opposition player has the "sit'
noted he doesn't judge the ball through the air the best and his timing is sometimes a bit out, but in the system we play, his speed and the ability to get back and help out is invaluable to the team.
our back 6 is strong as a cohesive unit. . . .they wont be star players but they work great as a unit.
dont underestimate that our back 6 has played almost every game together without injuries in 18months. thats the key.

great read geezer.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Geezer wrote:zac's a product of our defensive system we play. from a stoppage up the ground all oyr defensers play in front of their respective opponents and in a zone formation. guarding space, not a man.
Agree, plus Zac brings something else to the defensive half doz in terms of height, speed, youthfulness and, well, Zacness!

na exa
Club Player

zacness ... lol... yea , he's not scared to have a go .

thats got heaps going for it ...imo

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Have seen both Lions home games this year.

Goose has been consistent, but he certainly has not taken the big opposition unit (merrett gets him) and he does not look overly quick. In saying that he has done a job, and runs straight lines, and still has a thumping big kick. (which may not be in the Lyon gameplan anyway)

I reckon good on him, and I hope he continues to play well.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:Zac's had more disposals, more marks, more spoils and conceded less goals that he did in the first three games last year, yet this time last year everyone was raving about him. Now, despite statistically improving, everyone is calling for his head. Makes no sense.
That's because Hall kicked 7 against him in a praccy match. 8-)

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
3:16
Club Player

Give it up people, the Goose is GAWN, good luck to him, but he's a brissy player now, so follow him there if you wish, but get behind Zac, cause he did a job last yr and will prove his worth again in 2010!!!!!

PS: Sick of hearing bout, Lovett, Ball, Goose, Thomas and all other dearly departed, support the current crop, or get off them, just in case you haven't noticed, the 2010 saints sit on top at the minute!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
yipper
SS Life Member

3:16 wrote:Give it up people, the Goose is GAWN, good luck to him, but he's a brissy player now, so follow him there if you wish, but get behind Zac, cause he did a job last yr and will prove his worth again in 2010!!!!!

PS: Sick of hearing bout, Lovett, Ball, Goose, Thomas and all other dearly departed, support the current crop, or get off them, just in case you haven't noticed, the 2010 saints sit on top at the minute!!!!!
Amen to this!!! Go the Zachary, our defensive 6 is the best in the business - daylight to the next lot!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
3:16
Club Player

yipper wrote:
3:16 wrote:Give it up people, the Goose is GAWN, good luck to him, but he's a brissy player now, so follow him there if you wish, but get behind Zac, cause he did a job last yr and will prove his worth again in 2010!!!!!

Amen to this!!! Go the Zachary, our defensive 6 is the best in the business - daylight to the next lot!!!
Right-on, that's what it's about, Defensive 6, they will all go in and out of form during the year, won't be long before Zac is covering for Blakey, Gilbo or someone else, that's what a unit does, look out for thier fellow troops!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????