why we will finish top 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

why we will finish top 4

three games give me confidence we are still among the top 4 teams in the comp without our captain

2009 against hawthorn in launceston – no roo – result: comfortable win against the reigning premiers desperate to make top 8.

2009 grand final – due to injury and match conditions, roo's impact was minimal – result: well we all know what it was, but the way we played suggests we are more than capable of taking it to the cats without the big man

2010 against collingwod – again roo's impact was minimal in the first half, and nil thereafter – result: 5 goal win against a team touted as top 4.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

We'll see Roo back up and firing at the pointy end of the season. We're in very safe hands with Lyon and the playing group. The only positive that can come of the absence of Roo is we'll now be experimenting a little more than we would. I think we'll see some encouraging results because of it :)

But I agree, we'll be right up there! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

If it pans out like last year, the top 4 that is, no worries. However, this year, although early, may see a number of interstate sides in the 4, hence WHERE we finish in the top 4 could very well determine our fate.

StNoodles
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:If it pans out like last year, the top 4 that is, no worries. However, this year, although early, may see a number of interstate sides in the 4, hence WHERE we finish in the top 4 could very well determine our fate.
not sure freo will sustain their form, but brisbane are a threat for sure and i see your point

Saintsfan
Club Player

We will and should make top 4 due to the lack of depth in quality sides that are able to sustain good performances year long.

Presently Geelong stands between us and a premiership with Reiwoldt coming back in round 16/17

The Saintsfan Cometh
aussiejones
Club Player

As long as we had Riewolt then the urgency to develop other avenues was less critical. Now we are forced into it . IMO it could well be the making of a stronger Saints athough many will say we have won without Roo before .

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

IMO, if our midfield can slightly increase its collective output of goals - and with Kosi, Milne, Schneider, McQualter and whoever replaces Riewoldt chipping in around 8-10 goals per game among them - we won't have too much trouble winning enough games to make the top 2.

So the midfield is the key. Already this season, Dal and BJ seem to me to be much hungrier for goals. We need the others - including the running backs like Gilbert, Fisher and Gwilt (and, if he plays, Raph) to become more potent in attack as well. Tnen we'll be cooking.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its all about game styles .. i expect us to play the clamp down game for the next few weeks ... it wont be pretty but it will win us games until the normal game plane can come back

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bozza1980
Club Player

We will still finish top 4.

Our defence will mean we put away the rubbish teams.

These wins along with knocking over sides 5-8 or breaking even should put us in that 14 or so wins which should be enough.

If Roo can come back late in the year into a top 4 team we will again go close to taking the bikkies.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.