Just watched the replay - Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the replay - Gwilt

Sorry if this has been covered - but I was mighty impressed with Gwilt's game on Friday night. Showed good poise with the ball, strength and was able to snag that goal at a critical time.

He is really growing with every game.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep he was great, I am not one for indulging in an I told you so, but I just knew he was going to make it into the best 22 :wink:

Foz
Club Player

His kicking set-up looks to be the key down back. Has good poise and if he gets a chance to settle, usually finds a target. Had efficiency over 80% Friday night?

Also has a right foot too so not 1 dimensional like Gilbo.

If he can hold half back, a lot of upside to send BJ or Chips forward.

Finna
Club Player

Foz wrote:His kicking set-up looks to be the key down back. Has good poise and if he gets a chance to settle, usually finds a target. Had efficiency over 80% Friday night?

Also has a right foot too so not 1 dimensional like Gilbo.

If he can hold half back, a lot of upside to send BJ or Chips forward.
Not only is his kicking efficiency awesome but many of those kicks are long penetrating kicks to set up a player not just little chips around the back line.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I was forced to listen to the radio last Friday night and I couldn't get over the number of times I heard the name Gwilt in the last quarter.

Watching the replay the commentators actually bag his kicking in the last. I couldn't believe my ears. Both times he missed the target but managed to clear the ball well away from the danger area once with his left and once on the right!

His stats were great! What a goal! :D

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
Fearless
Club Player

That was Commetti; I'm sick of his smart-arse style. One of thsoe kicks was a 50 m wrong-foot to a defendable position, great work.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
3:16
Club Player

Jimmy is now a very important player for us, especially if he can continue his excellent form!!!!!

Adds in some many ways, frees up lots of others and provides important flexibility!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hey Stone Cold, nice to see you back.

have you been given parole or something? :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
yipper
SS Life Member

Jimmy is one big unit nowadays. Very good kick. He is delivering on the promise he has always shown. He is having one of those break out seasons I hope.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
3:16
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Hey Stone Cold, nice to see you back.

have you been given parole or something? :wink:
Hey Joffa,

You know me, just float in and out, being back for a little bit!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

That was also the main thing I noticed after watching the replay.

Gwilt was good.

One of the commentators mentioned he was emergency in the grand final and I instantly thought of how much higher I rate him now than I do Dempster.

Early last year Dermie summed Gwilt up really well, saying we will keep him until his upside is still greater than his downside. It was very relevant at the time and I guess always will be but if he keeps improving the way he is we wont be looking to off load him any time soon.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Yep, Gwilt has moved way past Dempster and - most likely - Raph as well.

It's all really good to see. We always knew how much potential he had: we saw that at the end of 2005.

Until this season, his game had several key defects: he was totally one-footed, he didn't seem to have a great engine on him (his asthma probably didn't help), his positional play was pretty ordinary and he seemed to lack confidence.

It is clear that he has worked hard in the off season on both his fitness and his right foot kicking (which still isn't that great, but at least he can now do something with it).

His confidence is growing and his positional play seems to be improving. He is now far more inclined to attack the ball and try to run around opponents (or through them: goodness knows, he's strong enough).

He's even starting to take the odd overhead mark.

When these improvements are added to his excellent foot passing skills, his superior hand/eye co-ordination and his size and strength, Gwilt is starting to look like the full package.

If we decide we no longer want him at the end of 2010, I reckon he'd most likely get a gig somewhere else.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

This guy Jimmy Gwilt has grabbed his potential firmly by the balls and is squeezing it for all it's worth. Terrible analogy, but awesome result. Gwilt is firing now and it's a pleasure to watch. Well done mate.

Dal Santo is also squeezing everything he can from his immense talent. He is just at the top of his game these days. Also fantastic to see. The entire football world appreciates it.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

starting to use his body very well and his intensity is improving every week. Has been one of the big improvers in 2010

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Yep he was great, I am not one for indulging in an I told you so, but I just knew he was going to make it into the best 22 :wink:
i never thought he was going to make it, but he's impressed me in the back line this year.

let's never send him forward again. ever.

santazzi
Club Player

Agree with observations above. There were a couple of incidents I noticed which amazed me ......very not like the non chalant Gwilt.... they both were intense celebration...one when he kicked that goal and the second when the siren went ...I have never seen that level of intensity from him before......it is as if he is saying this is my turf.........I belong here........and I stay here.......it was good to watch.......

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I noticed that too santazzi, particulary the one after the goal. It wasnt over the top or showy, just pure happy it seemed.

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Slightly off topic but related.... When Jimmy kicked that goal in the last quarter I particularly liked Dal Santo's shepherd. Subtle but very very effective.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Agree with observations above. There were a couple of incidents I noticed which amazed me ......very not like the non chalant Gwilt.... they both were intense celebration...one when he kicked that goal and the second when the siren went ...I have never seen that level of intensity from him before......it is as if he is saying this is my turf.........I belong here........and I stay here.......it was good to watch.......
This one?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I disagree with Meher Baba in that Gwilt has gone past Raph. Not intil he has been one of best players in a couple of finals. Consider how important Raph was in the Preliminary FInal against the Dogs. He was one of the few to stand up for us.

santazzi
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
santazzi wrote:Agree with observations above. There were a couple of incidents I noticed which amazed me ......very not like the non chalant Gwilt.... they both were intense celebration...one when he kicked that goal and the second when the siren went ...I have never seen that level of intensity from him before......it is as if he is saying this is my turf.........I belong here........and I stay here.......it was good to watch.......
This one?

Spot on Sainterk......you read my mind................. :lol:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I disagree with Meher Baba in that Gwilt has gone past Raph. Not intil he has been one of best players in a couple of finals. Consider how important Raph was in the Preliminary FInal against the Dogs. He was one of the few to stand up for us.
Gwilt was one of our best players in the 2005 Qualifying Final. But that was a long time ago.

I agree that Raph was fantastic in the game against the Dogs. Ideally I'd like to see both Gwilt and Raph in our starting 22. But competition for spots is becoming pretty fierce ATM, and I can't see Gwilt being dropped for Raph, so it will have to be someone else: probably Peake (which would be harsh).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Slightly off topic but related.... When Jimmy kicked that goal in the last quarter I particularly liked Dal Santo's shepherd. Subtle but very very effective.
yes noticed that.

As an aside, a caller into SEN last year when GT was still there asked if the Saints should keep him.

Thommo basically said that he was worth persisting with for a number of reason.

1) he was a beautiful kick, pretty quick, and was a big unit that would get stronger and harder.

2) because he was plucked from District Level he had gone "through the system" 9ie TAC Cup) and therefore would be a late maturer.

23 now so is moving could be maturing as per what Thommo said.

Would be a very nice suprise to see him flower this year. has done so in the absence of Raph.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SainterK wrote:Yep he was great, I am not one for indulging in an I told you so, but I just knew he was going to make it into the best 22 :wink:
i never thought he was going to make it, but he's impressed me in the back line this year.

let's never send him forward again. ever.
While Jimmy is doing a great job in the backline, and you wouldn't want to derail that by moving him about too much, I disagree that he should never be played as a forward again.

I'm firmly of the view that he did okay up the front but acknowledge he didn't seize the moment. I have always been of the view that this is partly due to his perceived lack of intensity but also due to perhaps being intimidated by Roo and Kosi (as in not wanting to get in their way). And of course as with any 3rd forward in our forward line, team mates are always going to look up and see these two (unfortunately not Roo for a while though :cry: )

If Jimmy can keep going the way he's going, and really believe he belongs out there, I see no reason why he could not make a fist of the forward line should the opportunity once again present itself.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt could be an A-Grade backlline player, he has all the physical attributes to play up forward but he doesn't have the skill required to play up forward, he goes missing for too long up there.

He is a defender, his number one role should be to keep his opponent quiet which he can do quite well. The fact that we acn all be comfortable when the ball is in his hands is just a very nice bonus.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!