Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

As a sporting club, our prime objective is premierships.

However, we are also a business, and we have to guard against impulse decisions that will come back and bite us on the bum financially.

Recruiting Lovett was in hindsight a mistake. Have to make sure that getting rid of him like we have is not a second mistake.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:

I am informed that Humphrey-Bear is running this on a no-win/no-fee basis..... he is that confident of winning..
He may or may not be confident of winning.

What he knows is guaranteed though, is that a high profile case like this has already achieved him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ worth of publicity.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

I am informed that Humphrey-Bear is running this on a no-win/no-fee basis..... he is that confident of winning..
He may or may not be confident of winning.

What he knows is guaranteed though, is that a high profile case like this has already achieved him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ worth of publicity.
Point.

rexy
SS Life Member

The amount of effort and time being put into this greivance rather than building a case for the actual rape case has me perplexed?

To me he knows he will lose the rape case and wants to settle finances before hand, otherwise wouldnt an innocent decision make his grievance very easy to uphold and force the club to pay out his contract without all the legal fees?

Maybe this year?
Saintsfan
Club Player

rexy wrote:The amount of effort and time being put into this greivance rather than building a case for the actual rape case has me perplexed?

To me he knows he will lose the rape case and wants to settle finances before hand, otherwise wouldnt an innocent decision make his grievance very easy to uphold and force the club to pay out his contract without all the legal fees?
Quite correct. It seems like the reason that Andrew Lovett is in the position he is currently placed has taken a back position to the $$$$ and the AFLPA's tribunal and the like.

The Saintsfan Cometh
St_Cave
Club Player

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Way to endear yourself Andrew.

rexy
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:
Whilst I in no way support his actions, I fail to see why Andrew Lovett would be at all concerned about who he endears himself on at this stage of his life. He is in a very serious predicament which sees him facing serious criminal allegations, is jobless and probably hurting financially. He has basically been outcast from his profession and probably in part his life as well. Only person he can really look out for now is himself, I think he should have taken the $300,000, saved himself the lagal fees and slipped off to play state footy somewhere personally, legal fees would have been better spent defending a rape charge if he beleives he has a case to defend?

If he was found innocent he could have then lodged a greivance with the club/AFL if that floated his boat.

Makes me laugh a bit, Wayne Carey was ostricised from his club and from footy for a year for shagging someone elses consenting partner, if anyone should have felt aggreived it should have been him, what he did was not illegal.

Maybe this year?
stinger
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
fingers wrote:
Whilst I in no way support his actions, I fail to see why Andrew Lovett would be at all concerned about who he endears himself on at this stage of his life. He is in a very serious predicament which sees him facing serious criminal allegations, is jobless and probably hurting financially. He has basically been outcast from his profession and probably in part his life as well. Only person he can really look out for now is himself, I think he should have taken the $300,000, saved himself the lagal fees and slipped off to play state footy somewhere personally, legal fees would have been better spent defending a rape charge if he beleives he has a case to defend?

If he was found innocent he could have then lodged a greivance with the club/AFL if that floated his boat.

Makes me laugh a bit, Wayne Carey was ostricised from his club and from footy for a year for shagging someone elses consenting partner, if anyone should have felt aggreived it should have been him, what he did was not illegal.
yep...it would appear that the guy makes poor life choices....but then...we all knew that anyway.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

This could be really interesting!

THe AFLPA could very well fund a Supreme Court case agasint the AFL and it's Grievance Tribunal who they have been demanding that St Kilda appear before.
Now having received a decision from that same Grievance Tribunal that they insisted St Kilda appear before, they are apparently 'supporting' Lovett in taking the Grievance Tribunal's decision to the supreme court.

Well done AFLPA for getting yourself enmeshed in a court case whereby the player you are financially bankrolling is suing the body you insisted must hear the argument.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Wonder what the rest of the players in the league think about their funds being used to support someone suspected of rape. I know the players association will say it's the principle they're defending not neccessarily the player, but still.

Lovett would want to be found innocent of the criminal matter. Some will argue that's irrelevent as it was the manner in which he was dismissed that's in dispute - if I was another player I'd want to make damn sure that Lovett was innocent of everything before my funds started supporting expensive legal challenges.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Wonder what the rest of the players in the league think about their funds being used to support someone suspected of rape. I know the players association will say it's the principle they're defending not neccessarily the player, but still.

Lovett would want to be found innocent of the criminal matter. Some will argue that's irrelevent as it was the manner in which he was dismissed that's in dispute - if I was another player I'd want to make damn sure that Lovett was innocent of everything before my funds started supporting expensive legal challenges.
Perhaps the Player's Association will refund the contributions of any player who objects.

Then that player can play under the terms and conditions that existed before the AFLPA.

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Saintsfan
Club Player

I am actually beginning to worry about Andrew Lovett's mental health.

What happens if he does not win and is left with nothing?

Football aside, the allegations aside it is as if he is being lead around by his representing law firm that are taking on the world for him and getting a hell of a lot of publicity out of it.

It would be fair to say he is not the smartest tool in he shed and my guess is that he is almost being exploited for his set of circumstances by Humphry-Smith and co....

If he is left with nothing coupled with his ongoing battles with depression who knows how poorly this could end up.

Again I am not defending him for his actions/alleged/et al

The Saintsfan Cometh
bozza1980
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
This could be really interesting!

THe AFLPA could very well fund a Supreme Court case agasint the AFL and it's Grievance Tribunal who they have been demanding that St Kilda appear before.
Now having received a decision from that same Grievance Tribunal that they insisted St Kilda appear before, they are apparently 'supporting' Lovett in taking the Grievance Tribunal's decision to the supreme court.

Well done AFLPA for getting yourself enmeshed in a court case whereby the player you are financially bankrolling is suing the body you insisted must hear the argument.
What I find interesting is the fact that St Kilda don't want it heard by the grievance tribunal but from various articles don't mind it being settled in the courts.

Lovett's people are desperate for it to be heard by the grievance tribunal so much so they are taking the various parties to court to try and ensure a grievance tribunal is heard.

The other interesting point, maybe not in this article but another from yesterday's age was Humphrey the Bear stating (in relation to their fair go or whatever it's called tribunal action) that it was up to St Kilda to prove that Lovett's grievance case had nothing to do with his sacking. I would have thought the burden would be on the accusor no the accusee.

I still seems to be that Lovett's representatives are trying to be as difficult as possible to try and extract the best possible outcome. When a mediation session has the mesiator noting the amount of lawyers present on behalf of the agrieved and that the proposed settlement is knocked back because of 6 figure legal fees incurred, it is safe to assume the only winner in this mess will be the lawyers.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:Lovett's people are desperate for it to be heard by the grievance tribunal so much so they are taking the various parties to court to try and ensure a grievance tribunal is heard.
Desperate to get some money tucked away before he spends a decade behind bars by the sound of it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

D H-S was onSEN earlier and they have succeeded in getting the parties mentioned subpoenaed ( not sued as indicated in the article today) to attend and a hearing PRIOR to him going back to court- which would seem to be their aim- get this cleared before that........

I did read somewhere that the reason initial mediation failed was disagreement on the payment of AL's legal costs- so maybe they had agreed to the payment of 1 year wage----

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

'Fresh details of the night that has rocked the Saints' season emerged yesterday as Lovett took his $1.1 million compensation fight to the Victorian Supreme Court'

Hey?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:'Fresh details of the night that has rocked the Saints' season emerged yesterday as Lovett took his $1.1 million compensation fight to the Victorian Supreme Court'

Hey?
Can you imagine how good a season we would be having if we weren't 'rocked' by this event.
We're only 4-0 :roll:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

I sincerely hope that given this latest development that St Kilda are getting advice from outside the club.

We might be getting cut-price legal representation form the Board member concerned, but sometimes knowledge of the people and personalities involved can get in the way of sound judgement.

The betting in legal circles is that Humphrey Bear will win this. Opinion is running about 60/40 his way.

amusingname
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:I sincerely hope that given this latest development that St Kilda are getting advice from outside the club.

We might be getting cut-price legal representation form the Board member concerned, but sometimes knowledge of the people and personalities involved can get in the way of sound judgement.

The betting in legal circles is that Humphrey Bear will win this. Opinion is running about 60/40 his way.
Really Grumps? I work in the legal profession myself and this is not the read I have of the feeling at all. Most people who I talk to who are more in the know than I am suggest that Lander & Rogers are making a rod for their own back, shooting up the costs of the matter and in the process making a settllement less and less likely, as the Saints are less likely to offer anything close to what they want if the payment of legal costs is going to remain a major sticking point.

Basically what I hear is that they are putting alot of faith in the fair work decision which is notoriously hard to predict.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:I sincerely hope that given this latest development that St Kilda are getting advice from outside the club.

Really Grumps? I work in the legal profession myself and this is not the read I have of the feeling at all. Most people who I talk to who are more in the know than I am suggest that Lander & Rogers are making a rod for their own back, shooting up the costs of the matter and in the process making a settllement less and less likely, as the Saints are less likely to offer anything close to what they want if the payment of legal costs is going to remain a major sticking point.

Basically what I hear is that they are putting alot of faith in the fair work decision which is notoriously hard to predict.
I don't work in the legal profession myself, but have close relatives who do, so just repeating what I am told.

Still hope the club has had some outside opinions, because Humphrey Bear seems supremely confident, both in and out of the limelight.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
amusingname wrote:

I don't work in the legal profession myself, but have close relatives who do, so just repeating what I am told.

Still hope the club has had some outside opinions, because Humphrey Bear seems supremely confident, both in and out of the limelight.
He's an ex-umpire, he craves the limelight.

oneteam
Club Player

Humhrey Bear is part time employment lawyer. The board member's clients on his company's leagl website, tell a different story.

Anyway, I was told by a current director that we had a barrister at all 3 times it went to the grievance tribunal. The last 2 times, at the mediation and the stay hearing, an employment law expert QC as well as a second emplyment law barrister , plus the vice president.

low costs but real experts looking after us. Lovett has spent $150 000 + and his lawyer has achieved a big fat zero for him so far.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

oneteam wrote:

Humhrey Bear is part time employment lawyer. The board member's clients on his company's leagl website, tell a different story.

Anyway, I was told by a current director that we had a barrister at all 3 times it went to the grievance tribunal. The last 2 times, at the mediation and the stay hearing, an employment law expert QC as well as a second emplyment law barrister , plus the vice president.

low costs but real experts looking after us. Lovett has spent $150 000 + and his lawyer has achieved a big fat zero for him so far.
I wish the filthy little pig would retreat back into the hole he crawled out of. Should have accepted the money offered to him at the start or negotiated a slightly better amount at mediation. Instead, he got greedy and has chosen to spin the dice. From what I understand from the grapevine, he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on. Could go in his favour and I certainly hope it does not.

Fortius Quo Fidelius