Betting Plunge of Saints Spoon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

na exa
Club Player

or backing dane into charlie favouritism again.

:lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Saint Mik
Club Player

Phone rings "Hello Greg its Brian here" :shock:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
matrix
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
matrix wrote:should be fun at work today...........
Thank God I live in Sydney.
ill slink in and head straight out to do work on the floor...no office bantering and footy chatting today

amusingname
Club Player

The grand total of the betting 'plunge' with betfair so far: $74.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 5857401605[/url]

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Even if there was something wrong during that time, it cannot affect our points for this year.
Storm were $700,000 over this year, that's why they've been rubbed out for this year.
Obviously people are banking on the fact that the Saints have a secret file somewhere, that is still active :shock:

I'm an optimist by nature, but even I am starting to get a bad feeling about this :?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

PLUNGE!!!

lmfao

What a load of s***.

The Craw
Club Player

Betting has not been suspended on this, unlike the storm scenario. Read into that what you will.

Not Craw, CRAW!
na exa
Club Player

The grand total of the betting 'plunge' with betfair so far: $74.

pisser.

put your $ on these guys getting a huge membership surge instead.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ok those who know more about this than me...

Are people placing bets like this in the unlikely scenario St Kilda was audited, and was found to be breaching the salary cap at present resulting in a similar penalty of no premiership points this year?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Surley it is the nufties...

we will be fine i am sure
Betfair’s Hugh Taggart pointed out only $74 had been bet on St Kilda to win the wooden spoon

I'd say they are fairly high flyers betting up to a grand total of $74 compared to the 40g's bet on Melbourne Storm before their anouncement.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Phone rings "Hello Greg its Brian here" :shock:
lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and yet somewhat nervous too......

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Ok those who know more about this than me...

Are people placing bets like this in the unlikely scenario St Kilda was audited, and was found to be breaching the salary cap at present resulting in a similar penalty of no premiership points this year?
Yes, that is spot on but these bets are more opportunists than the genuine money on the Storm yesterday,

Waldron is long gone from the Saints and our books have been audited by Grant Thornton Accountants.

It is only the period where Waldron worked for us that may be under scrutiny if any at all. If we were audited and found to have been deceptive in that era, it would effect our draft picks in the future but I don't think there will be any other penalties.

My question is when did Waldron leave the Saints? What year?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:Betting has not been suspended on this, unlike the storm scenario. Read into that what you will.
That's pretty significant and an important point.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
The Craw wrote:Betting has not been suspended on this, unlike the storm scenario. Read into that what you will.
Why should it be?

Saints Footy won't let betting be suspended

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Why should it be?

Saints Footy won't let betting be suspended
Give it up, mate. It's not even funny and not relevant to this thread.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:

Yes, that is spot on but these bets are more opportunists than the genuine money on the Storm yesterday,

Waldron is long gone from the Saints and our books have been audited by Grant Thornton Accountants.

It is only the period where Waldron worked for us that may be under scrutiny if any at all. If we were audited and found to have been deceptive in that era, it would effect our draft picks in the future but I don't think there will be any other penalties.

I agree with your post, but what concerns me is that you would have thought the Storm would have been audited but Waldron, or whoever still managed to cheat. I hope this has not happened at the saints

I love this club
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

I agree with your post, but what concerns me is that you would have thought the Storm would have been audited but Waldron, or whoever still managed to cheat. I hope this has not happened at the saints
That's a good point and I'm still nervous about that too. He was CEO when we got players like Roo, BJ, Kosi...actually a lot of the current list, and I'm not sure what the implications are if he did the same thing at St Kilda as he did at Storm.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

That's a good point and I'm still nervous about that too. He was CEO when we got players like Roo, BJ, Kosi...actually a lot of the current list, and I'm not sure what the implications are if he did the same thing at St Kilda as he did at Storm.
Yep, not worried about getting those players because they came to us in the draft, its more the contract extensions a few years after they arrived that may be a problem. And you can bet the lower quality jounos (most of them) will be jumping at any little chance to get into us, just like Garry Lyon was syaing on MMM tonight.

I love this club
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

Yep, not worried about getting those players because they came to us in the draft, its more the contract extensions a few years after they arrived that may be a problem. And you can bet the lower quality jounos (most of them) will be jumping at any little chance to get into us, just like Garry Lyon was syaing on MMM tonight.
Yes, and then we had to fit Gehrig, Hamill and others in to the salary cap after Roo and Kosi won the Rising Star.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

Yes, and then we had to fit Gehrig, Hamill and others in to the salary cap after Roo and Kosi won the Rising Star.
We have to hope that if he did try in shifties, they were either did not get passes the CEO at the time (which I think was Plymton) or at least were discontinued when he left. I think we are ok but I am wooried about the association.

I love this club
linz
Club Player

Does it mean we'll be stripped of all our wooden spoons if we've been
rorting the system? :( :( :( :(

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Does it mean we'll be stripped of all our wooden spoons if we've been
It hope not, it's the only real record we have.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Does it mean we'll be stripped of all our wooden spoons if we've been
Yes and they will be awarded to the Filth :D

I love this club
saintnick12
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:

Apparently he was CEO from 2002 until NOV 2004. Apparently the end was pretty messy, but he officially left of his own accord. By that stage Grant was insisting on doing all the contracts himself, which was apparently part of the agro between them.
Also Waldron was apparently involved at Sk Kilda in recruiting before being promoted by Butress to the CEO role. Apparently was heavily involved in the Gherig and Hamill trades...lets hope thats all above board.

I don't think they'll find anything wrong (not to say it wouldn't have happened), but I don't think they'll find anything.
I hate the stain it brings to the club by association.
Copped all the comments already today at work.
I agree with the club's statement. Let them come in ...check everything again. We want to prove we are clean....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Jumping at shadows people. Take a deep breath......then breathe out.....

Waldron was faced with an impossible task at Storm. To get the team to a premiership and to bring new sponsors and members to the club. All of this was expected to be achieved with none of the sorts of concessions that the interstate AFL teams have/do receive when they start up in our league. He had to get results and he used a less than desirable method to do so.

Now not to defend the man, but there are quite a few questions about other teams in the NRL. Just no evidence. Manly is one team that's name keeps bobbing up. This would never have even surfaced (storm salary cap rort) had their not been a whistle blower. So how many other teams are getting away with this in the NRL? Are you only accountable if you have the whistle blown on you? Are there ANY checks and balances in the NRL? Perhaps Brian was doing what was required (and what everyone else in the NRL was doing) to get an edge? Hell, it worked didn't it? They created a dynasty, only to have it come crumbling down around them when they were caught out. Was it a calculated risk or sheer stupidity and dishonesty? Depends on who you ask.

Personally, I feel that the NRL could fall like dominos if the truth about the degree of salary cap rorting within the clubs was ever to surface. The NRL hierarchy did nothing to help their cause with their knee jerk reaction to this situation. They should have sat and waited this out for awhile and gathered more information. These sanctions could come back to bite them if other similar issues within the NRL where to surface.

I read an interesting blog from a Sydney reporter today calling for an amnesty on salary cap rorting ALA what the AFL did a few years or so back within our league. Claims nearly all the NRL teams are rorting the system in one way or the other. Some of the smug Sydney and Queensland fans who have been bagging Melbourne Storm should be very careful. Karma has an awful way of biting you on the butt when you least expect it.

The NRL seems to be run very much like a backyard operation. From what I have 'heard', the AFL checks and balance system is pretty comprehensive. Also, due to systems in place (such as the Veteran's list and acceptable 3rd party payments for example), there is seldom a need in AFL to rort the salary cap (with the exception of sheer stupidity). The NRL needs to look at revamping their Salary Cap systems. Their 'national' NRL competition is about to revert back to a bi-state competition that the AFL will encroach (and potentially over run) with the introduction of the new AFL teams in Queensland and Sydney. Really shot themselves in the foot IMO.

Fortius Quo Fidelius