Mal Brown - What was he thinking?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Cannibals....... He could only be referring to white men, as to my knowledge the only events involving cannabilism in this country have involved white men, ie, the excaped convicts in Tassy etc.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I suspect that it would have been a sort of embarrassed laugh.
doesn't matter. makes each and every one of them a racist, including the indigineous players.

a storm in a teacup that will blow over by tomorrow.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:If Mal Brown was good mates with Winmar and co, and made the comments in private to just them as they were having a few beers, and he knew that no offense would be taken b/c Winmar has made it clear that he finds the comments funny in that context - that's different.
it may well be the case that he is good mates with them and ribs them a bit about being black ... in a good natured way.

someone should asky nicky if he was offended. i think he's got a bit thicker of a skin than to be upset about a drunken mate's poor taste joke.
Who said that Mal Brown was even drunk when he said it?

You've taken my quote out of context - I said that if these comments were made in PRIVATE, not at a function in front of numerous ppl that Winmar and Brown don't know well.
There's no doubt he'd had a few ... as usual (not that it is an excuse).

As you say, context is important. This was said at a private function in front of people he knew well (the football fraternity).The most regrettable thing is that everyone laughed at his poor taste joke.
Who says it was at a private function in front of ppl he knew well? My understanding is that it was at the Medallion Club and THE PUBLIC paid $90 a ticket to listen to him and others. Hardly a gathering of close family and friends.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:If Mal Brown was good mates with Winmar and co, and made the comments in private to just them as they were having a few beers, and he knew that no offense would be taken b/c Winmar has made it clear that he finds the comments funny in that context - that's different.
it may well be the case that he is good mates with them and ribs them a bit about being black ... in a good natured way.

someone should asky nicky if he was offended. i think he's got a bit thicker of a skin than to be upset about a drunken mate's poor taste joke.
Who said that Mal Brown was even drunk when he said it?

You've taken my quote out of context - I said that if these comments were made in PRIVATE, not at a function in front of numerous ppl that Winmar and Brown don't know well.
There's no doubt he'd had a few ... as usual (not that it is an excuse).

As you say, context is important. This was said at a private function in front of people he knew well (the football fraternity).The most regrettable thing is that everyone laughed at his poor taste joke.
Who says it was at a private function in front of ppl he knew well? My understanding is that it was at the Medallion Club and THE PUBLIC paid $90 a ticket to listen to him and others. Hardly a gathering of close family and friends.
must have been a gathering of the ku klux clan for all the laughter it caused.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
it may well be the case that he is good mates with them and ribs them a bit about being black ... in a good natured way.someone should asky nicky if he was offended. i think he's got a bit thicker of a skin than to be upset about a drunken mate's poor taste joke.
i don't care how much of a joke they make it out to be. It aint a joke. Nothing like that is really said in a good natured way.

It doesn't matter if a person is thick or thin skinned. peoples races /religions should not be talked about like that

Solar
Saintsational Legend

not always the biggest fan of the AFL but their response to this shows how professional they are compared to the NRL.

Racist comments are racist comments. The guys an idiot.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

I heard what seemed like embarrassed laughter from a few... not that it's at all relevant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I heard what seemed like embarrassed laughter from a few... not that it's at all relevant.
ah, so you were there. i heard it bought the house down.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
markp wrote:I heard what seemed like embarrassed laughter from a few... not that it's at all relevant.
I heard the audio, didn't hear the place collapsing... but it could've been a lead ballon falling that damaged the roof.

As I said it has zero relevance, people laughed when Sam came out with a black face too.

You are not seriously defending him?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
I heard the audio, didn't hear the place collapsing... but it could've been a lead ballon falling that damaged the roof.

As I said it has zero relevance, people laughed when Sam came out with a black face too.

no, if you read my posts carefully since the beginning of the thread you will see that i think he has said something stupid.

he is an old time west australian who has coached, played with and known many indigineous players over many years.

from what i hear, he is well liked in the aboriginal community and i wouldn't infer from his comments that he's truly racist. he certainly rates them as footballers, as his comments should make clear.

he's simply said something that you cannot say in this enlightened and politically correct age.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I can't stand that argument about it not being appropriate "in this current political climate or current era."

Racism is unacceptable. Full stop.

It wasn't acceptable then and it shouldn't be acceptable now.

The Peanut
Club Player

Most people in Australia are still under the illusion that they are not 'racists' (self-regulated). We should take a good look at ourselves and if we think the word 'racist' means what we say in public is different to what we think then I am afraid that is admitting that racism is OK.

White australians are probably all racists to some degree because of our general education and examples set by our forefathers, so we really need to look at ourselves occasionally.

Waste of time me saying this I know - as most people will do and say anything to try and prove they are not racist rather than taking a good look at themselves and at least try to reform.
Last edited by The Peanut on Thu 17 Jun 2010 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Racism is unacceptable. Full stop.
yes, but you cannot conclude from his comments that he is truly racist. it was a joke, for heaven's sake. a poor taste one ... but a joke nevertheless.

The Peanut
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
yes, but you cannot conclude from his comments that he is truly racist. it was a joke, for heaven's sake. a poor taste one ... but a joke nevertheless.
Racism is not a joke

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

no, if you read my posts carefully since the beginning of the thread you will see that i think he has said something stupid.

he is an old time west australian who has coached, played with and known many indigineous players over many years.

from what i hear, he is well liked in the aboriginal community and i wouldn't infer from his comments that he's truly racist. he certainly rates them as footballers, as his comments should make clear.

he's simply said something that you cannot say in this enlightened and politically correct age.
Couple of points BigCarl and then I'll shut up on this. EJ Whitten Jnr has stated that very few ppl in the room laughed, and the ones who did he perceived it as embarassed laughter. Secondly why is it politically correct to not be racist or make racist remarks? This to me implies that in actual fact it should be okay to say these things, but the nannas or oversensitive types have stopped everyone having their fun. Is that what you mean? If so I disagree.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i just wouldn't conclude from his comments that he is racist. from what i hear he is far from it. he just has a big mouth that gets him in trouble from time to time.

markp
Saintsational Legend

No one cares whether he personally is a racist or not... that is also irrelevant, and his business.

What he said was clearly racist, and totally indefensible. Full stop.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
To make that joke, would suggest he is racist.

Its irrelevant if Mal Brown thought it was just a joke, because what he actually said was racist.

For him to assume that the joke is acceptable or the norm, would suggest that Mal Brown whether he's aware of it or not, is considered racist in todays australian culture.

Had he made his comments during the 1950's no one would have blinked.

If Mal Brown came out and played footy the way he used to, he would be rubbed out for a long time.

The game has evolved so has our culture... seems like some haven't

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

The Peanut wrote:Most people in Australia are still under the illusion that they are not 'racists' (self-regulated). We should take a good look at ourselves and if we think the word 'racist' means what we say in public is different to what we think then I am afraid that is admitting that racism is OK.

White australians are probably all racists to some degree because of our general education and examples set by our forefathers, so we really need to look at ourselves occasionally.

Waste of time me saying this I know - as most people will do and say anything to try and prove they are not racist rather than taking a good look at themselves and at least try to reform.
Good comment Peanut.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Saintsfan
Club Player

Nothing really wrong with what he had to say.

Are we not allowed to call Aboriginals any name that could be meant anything negative at all?

What about dumb dumb's or is that racist?

This is all a little too politically correct for my liking.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saintsfan
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
The Peanut wrote:Most people in Australia are still under the illusion that they are not 'racists' (self-regulated). We should take a good look at ourselves and if we think the word 'racist' means what we say in public is different to what we think then I am afraid that is admitting that racism is OK.

Good comment Peanut.
Everyone is racist.

However i am not racist but...

The Saintsfan Cometh
Solar
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:No one cares whether he personally is a racist or not... that is also irrelevant, and his business.

this sums it up and I can't believe he hasn't apologised

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saintsfan
Club Player

Solar wrote:
markp wrote:No one cares whether he personally is a racist or not... that is also irrelevant, and his business.

this sums it up and I can't believe he hasn't apologised
White people are wankers.

Should I be shot down?

Maybe some should just realise that words are just that and we can take intended meaning any way we want to suit our own beliefs or agenda's.

The Saintsfan Cometh
markp
Saintsational Legend

None so blind....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do we really want to hear some kind of insincere token public apology though, I care little to hear anything else this guys got to say to be honest....