Channel 9 News...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: What a pile of crap has been written on the first 5 pages of this thread (all I've gotten through so far). "This bloke is agenda driven" and all this talk of Collingwood and such incredible crap. You know him personally and are completely sure are you?
As for "why- now?" maybe it's been eating him up inside for 6 years (which may also answer the "why is he no longer in the force?" question). Maybe he was prompted by all the publicity over Milne's 200th the other day and decided enough was enough. So he would have probably contacted Channel 9 in the days after Milne's 200th and they would have investigated it for a few days and announced over the weekend that the story was going to be on the news last night. Surely you don't have to be a genius to work out that this could be exactly why it's come out now.
As for those who asked "why didn't he do anything about all this 6 years ago", maybe he wasn't strong/brave enough to. How hard would that be to work out?
I think you're all just firing shots at anyone and everyone you can, to avoid the question that's really eating away at you. Did they do it?
Wow, why don't you just convict and sentence them now then? What a jerk... A load of hypothetical nonsense which is all anti-St Kilda and pro-washed up cop hack. You a cop mate? Can't handle that the rife corruption of the force is being made public? I can make up bizarre scenarios as well...
If you say so. But I'm sure you're perfect in every way, are you? "Jerk". Wow. Do you want to tell me that to my face?
And I don't want to sentence them, I just want JUSTICE, which may not have occurred, but which many on here clearly don't seem to care too much about. Pretty much no-one was asking "did Milne actually do this and get away with it?", which I found staggering and pretty sickening. They were asking every other question under the sun and focusing on everything but that. As opposed to when Lovett was accused of something almost identical. Most seemingly wanted him out of here ASAP.
"Hypothetical nonsense" and "bizarre scenarios"? As opposed to all the stuff on this thread? So what I wrote is completely impossible and unlikely and all these "conspiracy theories" on here are more likely? That's hilarious. Imagine if this was a Collingwood site, or Richmond, or Carlton and you all happened to read it. You'd be laughing your heads off at what's been written, but because it's ours, it's suddenly all very plausible and likely and to some, certain.
And the same with the reporting by 9 and the HS. If this was a story about someone from Carlton or Essendon, or any other club but us, I bet probably NONE of you would be boycotting them, or writing to them, or getting your nickers in such a knot. Would you? It's almost certain that you'd be lapping it all up and calling the players accused "dirty dogs" and stuff like that.
And how is anything I wrote "anti-St Kilda". All I want is justice. How is that "anti- St Kilda"? I was just responding to what was being written here. So many making inflamed comments about those they don't know from Adam. Their comments are much more a reflection of who THEY are themselves, rather than someone else they've never met.
I support the club, but not at all costs and that sure as hell doesn't mean I support what everyone who follows them happens to think, or want, or that I support potential cover-ups, or having someone on board who may have gotten away with raping someone. Whether the case was thrown out, or not. If he knowingly stuck his finger in someone who he knew didn't realise it was him (which it seems she pretty clearly didn't) then I don't particularly want him at the club.
If any of this makes me a "jerk", then thanks for the compliment.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: , I just want JUSTICE,.

what do you mean by that?????.......what exactly do you want...????...and tell me.......why does what you want have anything to do with this case ....??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Everyone seems a little to quick to wash their hands of any involvement by St Kilda here, given that this investigator has since alleged that our club was made aware of witness statements within hours of them being made.

since denied by the club i might add....

from today's age...

"Butterss said yesterday: ''I can categorically say that myself and no member of the St Kilda board saw any witness statements or any police documents. I can can say with confidence that the chief executive Brian Waldron wasn't privy to any such statements or documents.''

Sainterman
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: What a pile of crap has been written on the first 5 pages of this thread (all I've gotten through so far). "This bloke is agenda driven" and all this talk of Collingwood and such incredible crap. You know him personally and are completely sure are you?
As for "why- now?" maybe it's been eating him up inside for 6 years (which may also answer the "why is he no longer in the force?" question). Maybe he was prompted by all the publicity over Milne's 200th the other day and decided enough was enough. So he would have probably contacted Channel 9 in the days after Milne's 200th and they would have investigated it for a few days and announced over the weekend that the story was going to be on the news last night. Surely you don't have to be a genius to work out that this could be exactly why it's come out now.
As for those who asked "why didn't he do anything about all this 6 years ago", maybe he wasn't strong/brave enough to. How hard would that be to work out?
I think you're all just firing shots at anyone and everyone you can, to avoid the question that's really eating away at you. Did they do it?
Wow, why don't you just convict and sentence them now then? What a jerk... A load of hypothetical nonsense which is all anti-St Kilda and pro-washed up cop hack. You a cop mate? Can't handle that the rife corruption of the force is being made public? I can make up bizarre scenarios as well...
If you say so. But I'm sure you're perfect in every way, are you? "Jerk". Wow. Do you want to tell me that to my face?
And I don't want to sentence them, I just want JUSTICE, which may not have occurred, but which many on here clearly don't seem to care too much about. Pretty much no-one was asking "did Milne actually do this and get away with it?", which I found staggering and pretty sickening. They were asking every other question under the sun and focusing on everything but that. As opposed to when Lovett was accused of something almost identical. Most seemingly wanted him out of here ASAP.
"Hypothetical nonsense" and "bizarre scenarios"? As opposed to all the stuff on this thread? So what I wrote is completely impossible and unlikely and all these "conspiracy theories" on here are more likely? That's hilarious. Imagine if this was a Collingwood site, or Richmond, or Carlton and you all happened to read it. You'd be laughing your heads off at what's been written, but because it's ours, it's suddenly all very plausible and likely and to some, certain.
And the same with the reporting by 9 and the HS. If this was a story about someone from Carlton or Essendon, or any other club but us, I bet probably NONE of you would be boycotting them, or writing to them, or getting your nickers in such a knot. Would you? It's almost certain that you'd be lapping it all up and calling the players accused "dirty dogs" and stuff like that.
And how is anything I wrote "anti-St Kilda". All I want is justice. How is that "anti- St Kilda"? I was just responding to what was being written here. So many making inflamed comments about those they don't know from Adam. Their comments are much more a reflection of who THEY are themselves, rather than someone else they've never met.
I support the club, but not at all costs and that sure as hell doesn't mean I support what everyone who follows them happens to think, or want, or that I support potential cover-ups, or having someone on board who may have gotten away with raping someone. Whether the case was thrown out, or not. If he knowingly stuck his finger in someone who he knew didn't realise it was him (which it seems she pretty clearly didn't) then I don't particularly want him at the club.
Very strong opinion for someone who cannot possibly have all the facts. The case was investigated and the result was no charges. Until anything more concrete than the innuendo we have had to put up with comes out I see no reason to believe anything different to the original outcome.

Do we need a witch hunt now? Perhaps justice has already been served.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Why I do not think the forum Gladman chose to express his concerns was a wise choice, I cannot overlook the fact that some very serious allegations have been made.

Everyone seems a little to quick to wash their hands of any involvement by St Kilda here, given that this investigator has since alleged that our club was made aware of witness statements within hours of them being made.

If the OPI finds any connection to St Kilda, this could still be very messy for our club.

The latest reports have been hinting at such a connection, so don't be too comfortable.
That's just it, SainterK. Whilst I have a fair idea about why the allegations were made and I wouldn't for a second water down the import of the allegations per se, the fact is they WERE investigated. By the detectives own admission the police brief was amazingly good apparently, some of their best work they reckon. The DPP, however, saw fit not to pursue the matter for the same kind of reasons they don't pursue plenty of cases - evidentiary blurriness (read between the lines of the account published), cost to taxpayers, resourcing. That's it. No more to it. Finito.

The simple truth of all this is that media outlets have had a swing and missed because they were punching at a figment of their own imagination.

I would like to say that we will now hear aggrieved ex coppers the nation over publicly airing their sour grapes over the cases they couldn't get up, but most cases don't involve sex and footballers so it ain't gonna happen.

Beat up. Always was, always will be.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
SainterK wrote:Why I do not think the forum Gladman chose to express his concerns was a wise choice, I cannot overlook the fact that some very serious allegations have been made.

If the OPI finds any connection to St Kilda, this could still be very messy for our club.

The latest reports have been hinting at such a connection, so don't be too comfortable.
That's just it, SainterK. Whilst I have a fair idea about why the allegations were made and I wouldn't for a second water down the import of the allegations per se, the fact is they WERE investigated. By the detectives own admission the police brief was amazingly good apparently, some of their best work they reckon. The DPP, however, saw fit not to pursue the matter for the same kind of reasons they don't pursue plenty of cases - evidentiary blurriness (read between the lines of the account published), cost to taxpayers, resourcing. That's it. No more to it. Finito.

The simple truth of all this is that media outlets have had a swing and missed because they were punching at a figment of their own imagination.

I would like to say that we will now hear aggrieved ex coppers the nation over publicly airing their sour grapes over the cases they couldn't get up, but most cases don't involve sex and footballers so it ain't gonna happen.

i wish i could have summed up the situation as well as you just have....you are spot on.....

bozza1980
Club Player

El Wood wrote:Good summary of events from John Silvester (Sly of the Underworld) in today's Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/passi ... -yz3p.html

"... Everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence - even annoying forward-pocket players."
I think the key points from the article are:

The senior sergeant who reviewed the case said it fell short.

The file was sent to the Office of Public Prosecutions for an expert legal opinion. Lawyers who reviewed the brief said lack of admissible evidence meant the case would probably fail.

The OPP only prosecutes ''when it is more likely than not it will result in a successful prosecution''.

The two investigators felt betrayed and have both since resigned. This week they went public, telling Channel Nine News they felt pressured by colleagues, with no links to the investigation, to go easy on the case. The pressure, it would seem, didn't come from the bosses, but from police sticking their blue beaks in where they weren't wanted.

But the key to the issue remains simple. Was the investigation compromised? According to the detectives, the answer is no

So, in a nutshell

- some policemen in the Brighton CIB acted inappropriately
- despite this, 2 investigators prepared a brief that they felt warranted criminal charges being laid
- the OPP disagreed and decided not to lay charges

So the complaint is about innapropriate behaviour that didn't prevent the detectives preparing a case that they felt solid but the OPP didn't.

I might be blind but I can't see how justice was denied, if anything, the policeman's claims being painted as a St Kilda sex cover up and by implication Milne has something to hide, is the true miscarriage of justice.

I am truly sorry if this young woman was the victim of a crime, unfortunately, as the details of the allegation have become public record over the last few days, it would appear that the OPP was correct in it's assesment that a conviction was/is extremely unlikely.

To be fair apart from the potential uncovering of workplace bullying, and tampering with evidence (which it would seem hard to prove 6 years after the event) I'm not sure what, if anything, properly substantial will come from this slandering of our club and player.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
bozza1980
Club Player

Thinline wrote:

Spot on.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Joey wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Joey wrote:
Saints43 wrote:Jason Richarson stated on SEN this morning that St Kilda had made a payment to the alleged victim. :shock:

Which front bar does he do his research in?
While they were interviewing a solicitor, Richardson said that back 6 years ago the rumour was that a civil settlement was reached between the parties, that is totally seperate to the criminal investigation. And they did say that it was a only a rumour back then.
No he didn't. He stated that there was a payment made - and then asked if that effects any potential criminal case.
I must have heard him wrong then, cause I heard him ask about the effects on the criminal case, but i didn't hear him state it as fact that a payment was made. If he did say that then he better be sure of his facts before making claims like that.

...well.....i will give you a hypothetical......say a girl sued a prominent member of the community for damages for assault......maybe sexual...maybe not......and a court granted a suppression order on the names of the parties.......and the outcome of those proceedings which also had a confidentiality clause..........would it now be a breach of that suppression order and a contempt of the court to now go sprouting on about it on a radio station....SEN for example........you listening you flowering dog richardson....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:One does wonder why this story was released this week, considering both interviews were conducted about a month ago :roll:

just after the micky milshake blow up with milne i presume????

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
You are WRONG and NAIVE.

The interviews were done a month ago.

Ch 9 aired them this week becasue why? Becasue it is the week of the biggest game of the year and they were hoping that this sensational story would take the focus off the game, which is on Ch 7 or hadn't you noticed that dude and make a direct dent in people watching it which would impact the nighlty and overall weekly ratings which are critical when negotiating ad rates. Woman espcially would be probably most likely put off watching the game.

Their ploy has worked so far because the football media have hardly built up the game at all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he was prompted by all the publicity over Milne's 200th the other day and decided enough was enough. So he would have probably contacted Channel 9 in the days after Milne's 200th and they would have investigated it for a few days and announced over the weekend that the story was going to be on the news last night. Surely you don't have to be a genius to work out that this could be exactly why it's come out now.

What makes you think that HE approached Ch 9?

You are making a lot of assumptions their dude and you're also insinuating that they are guilty of something. I do not like your post and I find it offensive....Our boys are innocent until proven otherwise....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
BTW I have contacted media watch to ask them to investigate. I hope they do, perhaps push about money for the interview

sensible thing to do imho....

"he unfortunate byproduct of this week's fallout is that the woman who made the complaint has been forced to relive the event. And Milne is back in the headlines with some claims the case may be re-investigated - even though no new evidence has come to light.

Everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence - even annoying forward-pocket players.

John Silvester is a senior Age crime writer."

.....true mr silvester.....true....
Last edited by stinger on Thu 24 Jun 2010 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
bob__71 wrote:It just seems to me, using the KISS principle that all evidence points to one conclusion. That is that Mr Gladman is very paranoid and probably quite nutty.
I wonder if these 2 cops are Collingwood supporters?
It's Colon Wood, COLON WOOD I TELL YA!!!!!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
bob__71 wrote:It just seems to me, using the KISS principle that all evidence points to one conclusion. That is that Mr Gladman is very paranoid and probably quite nutty.
I usually call them the Skunks.
[img][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4710/skunks2ed.gif[/img][/img]

bozza1980
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: If he knowingly stuck his finger in someone who he knew didn't realise it was him (which it seems she pretty clearly didn't) then I don't particularly want him at the club.
So two people you don't know tell you two contradictory versions of a series of events, there is no evidence beyond these stories. You can make a decision and be certain of which is the truth and which isn't.

Can you tell me your secret mate??

I'm with you, I don't want rapists at the club, but there is no where near enough evidence in this case to hang anyone so can you possibly back up on the lynch squad there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
I usually call them the Skunks.
[img][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4710/skunks2ed.gif[/img][/img]
to me they are simply "the filth".....the most apt nick name in sporting history

bob__71
Club Player

One other point. Given the way Mr Goodman seems a little paranoid etc. Is it not possible that the other poilice were infact trying to do him a favour? Is it not possible that in their experience he was barking up the wrong tree.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:I might be slow on the discussion but is no-one else repulsed by the young woman's statement being re-printed in the Hun yesterday?

So who is doing the leaking o information now former Senior Detective Constable Gladman?

Did you ask the young woman if she agreeable to the releasing of her statement to the press to be repeated verbatum?

And the other woman at the house that night, where might her statement be?

More questions to be answered regarding this whole sordid episode and not all of the questions should be directed towards the two Saints players.

there were no charges...therefore no hearings or court proceedings...therefore the alleged victims statement is not part of any public record and should not have been published in view of circumstances relevant to other events.......the hun is despicable imho.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Maybe he was prompted by all the publicity over Milne's 200th the other day and decided enough was enough. So he would have probably contacted Channel 9 in the days after Milne's 200th and they would have investigated it for a few days and announced over the weekend that the story was going to be on the news last night. Surely you don't have to be a genius to work out that this could be exactly why it's come out now.

You are making a lot of assumptions their dude and you're also insinuating that they are guilty of something. I do not like your post and I find it offensive....Our boys are innocent until proven otherwise....
I don't know if you've missed those posts, but there are at least 3 which state categorically that the interviews were done a month ago.

If true, then IMHO that puts the whole story in a totally different category.
It's no longer a 'breaking story' but one that has been 'manufactured' for a while and has been sitting there waiting for the most 'opportune' time to be dropped on the public.
Why hold it back untiil now?
What's the benefit to Ch9 in doing that?
What's the benefit to ex-detectives Gladman and Smith?
What's the benefit to the alleged victim?

Now, as to the question raised about costs being awarded.
I'm no lawyer, but I've had some small experience in this area.
My understanding is that if the case is to proceed in the Magistrate's Court, a defendant can advise teh prosecutors of what his defense intends to be adn can warn them he will be asking for costs if he is found not guilty. Until he is actually charged and proceeds to teh Magistrate Court, those costs do not come into the equasion.
Even then, the Magistrate will determine what costs, if any, will be awarded.
I don't believe that sexual assault cases are now heard in the Magistrates Court?

My understanding is that in Courts higher than Magistrates, costs are not awarded in Criminal cases?
Therefore this reason as expressed seems strange?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:I might be slow on the discussion but is no-one else repulsed by the young woman's statement being re-printed in the Hun yesterday?

So who is doing the leaking o information now former Senior Detective Constable Gladman?

Did you ask the young woman if she agreeable to the releasing of her statement to the press to be repeated verbatum?

More questions to be answered regarding this whole sordid episode and not all of the questions should be directed towards the two Saints players.

there were no charges...therefore no hearings or court proceedings...therefore the alleged victims statement is not part of any public record and should not have been published in view of circumstances relevant to other events.......the hun is despicable imho.....
And now also due to the public outing of an alleged statement of the person involved - correct me if I'm wrong - this information would to be prejudicial to any subsequent criminal proceeding and therefore inadmissable

If this is the case then it becomes clear that the disgruntled ex policeperson Mr Gladman seems not to have had the girls best interest in mind rather it seems he has a very sharp brand spanking new axe to grind with another party

What a complete mess

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
stinger wrote:

And now also due to the public outing of an alleged statement of the person involved - correct me if I'm wrong - this information would to be prejudicial to any subsequent criminal proceeding and therefore inadmissable

If this is the case then it becomes clear that the disgruntled ex policeperson Mr Gladman seems not to have had the girls best interest in mind rather it seems he has a very sharp brand spanking new axe to grind with another party

What a complete mess

possibly......although that would be for the court to decide......i think that other proceedings that have since taken place would be far more prejudicial ...to a fair trial...for milne.....impossible now imho.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:One other point. Given the way Mr Goodman seems a little paranoid etc. Is it not possible that the other poilice were infact trying to do him a favour? Is it not possible that in their experience he was barking up the wrong tree.

that would normally be the case.....

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Aren't all cops?

Except those that post on here.
Not all are Collingwood supporters, you'd be surprised how many are Saints supporters and that's outside the radius of Brighton CIU

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Maybe he was prompted by all the publicity over Milne's 200th the other day and decided enough was enough. So he would have probably contacted Channel 9 in the days after Milne's 200th and they would have investigated it for a few days and announced over the weekend that the story was going to be on the news last night. Surely you don't have to be a genius to work out that this could be exactly why it's come out now.

I don't know if you've missed those posts, but there are at least 3 which state categorically that the interviews were done a month ago.

If true, then IMHO that puts the whole story in a totally different category.
It's no longer a 'breaking story' but one that has been 'manufactured' for a while and has been sitting there waiting for the most 'opportune' time to be dropped on the public.
Why hold it back untiil now?
What's the benefit to Ch9 in doing that?
What's the benefit to ex-detectives Gladman and Smith?
What's the benefit to the alleged victim?

Now, as to the question raised about costs being awarded.
I'm no lawyer, but I've had some small experience in this area.
My understanding is that if the case is to proceed in the Magistrate's Court, a defendant can advise teh prosecutors of what his defense intends to be adn can warn them he will be asking for costs if he is found not guilty. Until he is actually charged and proceeds to teh Magistrate Court, those costs do not come into the equasion.
Even then, the Magistrate will determine what costs, if any, will be awarded.
I don't believe that sexual assault cases are now heard in the Magistrates Court?

My understanding is that in Courts higher than Magistrates, costs are not awarded in Criminal cases?
Therefore this reason as expressed seems strange?

i think they were talking about committal proceedings....