Umpiring = BIZARRE !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
Foz wrote:First problem is the surface...or bouncing techniques.....bounce was going about 9 foot and often ruckman were tapping it to their feet resulting in an all in brawl for the ball. Ditto the next bounce.

Bizarre decision on Gilbert holding the ball...he kicked it but unpire was blind-sided. So say "i didnt see it" rather than pay the wrong decision.

AFL needs to look at holding the ball. Milne was the only one paid all night. A few weeks ago even Buddy would have been pinged. What will they do next week?

No marks paid even when they looked like the player had firm control of the ball - see Roo.

Mitchell's kicks go 12 metres but get paid the mark.

Decisions plucked from packs....its a physical game, THROW the ball up to get the game moving and don't worry about majority of pack contact.

The question we ask is "were they in control of the game?" and the above points help explain why they were NOT !
Well put, and the shame is the list of problems is even longer than this. Perhaps it is time for someone fresh at the top of the umpiring department.

good call....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
golden hawk
Club Player

Re: Umpiring = BIZARRE !!

Eastern wrote:Very high number of Free Kicks (2nd highest this year)

8 x 50 metre penalties

Umpires signalling the wrong way for Free kicks

Umpiring rated as Poor by commentators

Interchange penalty

Both sides will feel hard done by

Would love to get a copy of the Umpires Dept report on the game !!
wonder if they will come out and say they made mistakes ?? they were horrid both ways specially macburney

your friendly neighbourhood hawk
35...LEGEND
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
Foz wrote:First problem is the surface...or bouncing techniques.....bounce was going about 9 foot and often ruckman were tapping it to their feet resulting in an all in brawl for the ball. Ditto the next bounce.

Bizarre decision on Gilbert holding the ball...he kicked it but unpire was blind-sided. So say "i didnt see it" rather than pay the wrong decision.

AFL needs to look at holding the ball. Milne was the only one paid all night. A few weeks ago even Buddy would have been pinged. What will they do next week?

No marks paid even when they looked like the player had firm control of the ball - see Roo.

Mitchell's kicks go 12 metres but get paid the mark.

Decisions plucked from packs....its a physical game, THROW the ball up to get the game moving and don't worry about majority of pack contact.

The question we ask is "were they in control of the game?" and the above points help explain why they were NOT !
Well put, and the shame is the list of problems is even longer than this. Perhaps it is time for someone fresh at the top of the umpiring department.

good call....
The only way forward as far as I can see.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I've just watched the replay and how many times did Luke Hodge hold the ball and then drop it without attempting to handball or kick the ball?
Plus his run through the centre at one stage was way over 15 metres.

But I also watched a bit of the West Coast v Carlton game and Chris Judd seems to continue so much further than anyone else before he has to get rid of the ball.

golden hawk
Club Player

ozrulestrace wrote:I've just watched the replay and how many times did Luke Hodge hold the ball and then drop it without attempting to handball or kick the ball?

But I also watched a bit of the West Coast v Carlton game and Chris Judd seems to continue so much further than anyone else before he has to get rid of the ball.
that went the other way too your guys did the same the umps just did not pay it all night bar for once and only once not sure if we got that or if you got it i forget cause i went into shock at the first draw i have ever been too

stinger
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:I've just watched the replay and how many times did Luke Hodge hold the ball and then drop it without attempting to handball or kick the ball?

that went the other way too your guys did the same the umps just did not pay it all night bar for once and only once not sure if we got that or if you got it i forget cause i went into shock at the first draw i have ever been too

paid against gilbert when he actually got his boot to the ball...as i recall...

golden hawk
Club Player

stinger wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

paid against gilbert when he actually got his boot to the ball...as i recall...
weird that all game none got paid till then , i have seen in other games players get a hand to it or a boot they call ball then other times the ones you know are ball they don't call , i wonder if they need new glasses or a seeing eye dog might do a better job .

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:

You got it - Milne was tackeld round the head and was deemed to be holding the ball after a nanosecond in his possession.

Par for the course though - Milne/Schneider have recieved a toal of 2.5 free kicks since Schneider sarcastically clapped an umpire, whilst they've been penalized 4,372 times in that same period.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that Milne/Schneider are not allowed to receive the same protection as other players from the umpires.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

You got it - Milne was tackeld round the head and was deemed to be holding the ball after a nanosecond in his possession.

Par for the course though - Milne/Schneider have recieved a toal of 2.5 free kicks since Schneider sarcastically clapped an umpire, whilst they've been penalized 4,372 times in that same period.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that Milne/Schneider are not allowed to receive the same protection as other players from the umpires.
Are they the exact figures. Seems a bit high. Cant work out why Milne is penalised because Schneider clapped the umpires.

Why do you think they are penalised more?

golden hawk
Club Player

did he clap them in this game ??
if they penalised him for that they are idiots [the umps] i have heard comments by one of my players that i reckon could have been seen as worse in a game to razor ray and he just laughed them off i think some umps think they are bigger then the game would rather razor ray then mcburney or a couple of the others

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

Are they the exact figures. Seems a bit high. Cant work out why Milne is penalised because Schneider clapped the umpires.

You're correct.
I overstated the figure.
They've actually only received 2.25 free kicks in total.

I'm not sure why Milne gets penalized so much.
Maybe you could hazzard an educated guess.

I found it intriguing that in a game with more than 100 tackles only 1 player got pinged for holding the footy - Milne.

Did you see that decision - it seemed a tad harsh given that other players were allowed to drink a cup of tea whilst in possession without being penalized whereas Milne only was able to look at the footy through his left eye (the right hand side of his face was covered by the arm of his opponent).

Was that just a mistake on the part of the officiating umpire, coincidentally against Milne?
Amazing really.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

You're correct.
I overstated the figure.

I found it intriguing that in a game with more than 100 tackles only 1 player got pinged for holding the footy - Milne.

Did you see that decision - it seemed a tad harsh given that other players were allowed to drink a cup of tea whilst in possession without being penalized whereas Milne only was able to look at the footy through his left eye (the right hand side of his face was covered by the arm of his opponent).

Was that just a mistake on the part of the officiating umpire, coincidentally against Milne?
Amazing really.
As i have stated before, they seemed poor. You seem to be suggesting something else. Funnily at my local footy club yesterday a few suggested the Hawks got a poor run but of course they were Hawks supporters. Seems that what ever happens the umpires will never get it right.

golden hawk
Club Player

i reckon they were bad both ways as much at times during the game i probably thought they were favoring you guys but that was how i saw it at times but i know they were bad both ways

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

You're correct.
I overstated the figure.

Amazing really.
As i have stated before, they seemed poor. You seem to be suggesting something else. Funnily at my local footy club yesterday a few suggested the Hawks got a poor run but of course they were Hawks supporters. Seems that what ever happens the umpires will never get it right.
I'm not suggesting anything of the sort.
I'm merely making the observation, that statistics seems to bear out, that Milne/Schneider for some reason do not seem able to collect similar numbers of free kicks that other players in their position on the ground do?
They also seem to give away far more free kicks than other small forwards.

I was asking for your expert view on why this might be happening?

You're the one raising something other then mistaken decisions.
Why I don't know.
Afterall, everybody knows the umpires are always impartial.
What are you getting at?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

You're correct.
I overstated the figure.

Amazing really.
I'm merely making the observation, that statistics seems to bear out, that Milne/Schneider for some reason do not seem able to collect similar numbers of free kicks that other players in their position on the ground do?

Why I don't know.
What are you getting at?
I am getting at nothing but I think your nose is growing.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:during the game i probably thought they were favoring you guys

spare me ffs... :roll: :roll:..you didn;t see ...or didn't count the 8 or 9 soft free kicks your guys got at the start of the last quarter that saw you grab the lead.....

golden hawk
Club Player

stinger wrote:
golden hawk wrote:during the game i probably thought they were favoring you guys

spare me ffs... :roll: :roll:..you didn;t see ...or didn't count the 8 or 9 soft free kicks your guys got at the start of the last quarter that saw you grab the lead.....
we that is the truth you guys felt it the other way too i am sure but the umpiring was rubbish both ways , that is right isn't it !

you guys got soft free's too !

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

You're correct.
I overstated the figure.

Amazing really.

Why I don't know.
What are you getting at?
I am getting at nothing but I think your nose is growing.
I'm not Michael Osborne.

Seriously, why do Milne/Schneider seem to not get frees that other players routinely get?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

golden hawk wrote:i reckon they were bad both ways as much at times during the game i probably thought they were favoring you guys but that was how i saw it at times but i know they were bad both ways
Funny, Hawk friends felt they were definitely getting the rub of the green in regards to umpiring on Friday night UNTIL the interchange incident at the end.

We have had a couple of games were we could seem do to no wrong in the umpires eyes in the last 4-6 weeks. Certainly not the case on Friday night.

At least as a supporter I can admit that.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:[Seems that what ever happens the umpires will never get it right.

True, because they are Shiit 90% of the time.........not all the time,just mostly..........IMO.

golden hawk
Club Player

saint75 wrote:
golden hawk wrote:i reckon they were bad both ways as much at times during the game i probably thought they were favoring you guys but that was how i saw it at times but i know they were bad both ways
Funny, Hawk friends felt they were definitely getting the rub of the green in regards to umpiring on Friday night UNTIL the interchange incident at the end.

We have had a couple of games were we could seem do to no wrong in the umpires eyes in the last 4-6 weeks. Certainly not the case on Friday night.

were we did not feel that way believe me ! i was surprised we were in front on that count probably crap free's most of them anyway
i saw plenty that both teams did not get either real free's highs that were not paid in the backs that were not paid ! spare me that we got the rub of the green when really they rubbed both of us the wrong way ! for the whole game

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[Seems that what ever happens the umpires will never get it right.

True, because they are Shiit 90% of the time.........not all the time,just mostly..........IMO.
Maybe the captains should umpire or even better still the unbiased forum people from both sides.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:
saint75 wrote:

were we did not feel that way believe me ! i was surprised we were in front on that count probably crap free's most of them anyway
i saw plenty that both teams did not get either real free's highs that were not paid in the backs that were not paid ! spare me that we got the rub of the green when really they rubbed both of us the wrong way ! for the whole game

we can agree to disagree g h....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:
saint75 wrote:

GH, of course we got 'the wrong end of the green' - this is a Saints Fan Forum.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:

Maybe the captains should umpire or even better still the unbiased forum people from both sides.

not as silly as it sounds...the captains once did umpire vfl matches...probablly did a better job too....