OFFICIAL TEAMS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
degruch wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:when i see the names "eddy", "mcqualter" and "dempster" in a starting 22 - i know im not looking at a top 4 side.

jeez we need to improve in the next 4 weeks.
Just squint and imagine "Toovey", "Lockyer", "Davis", or "Hunt", "Hawkins", "West", or even "Everitt", "Stack", "Minson"...every teams got 'em. It's how they play within the structure that counts...do their job and I'd be happy to see them (2/3 for 2009) line up for a GF with us.
yeah . good call. funny u mentioned it. cos when i wrote the post i squinted and imagined murphy moss suckling and taylor (hawks)

josh hunt is a good player and andrejs everitt is also no bum and he is only in an extended IC. but i see your point.

what i actually meant to write was "starting 18". not "starting 22".

i can live with those 3 guys i mentioned on the the pine or as emg's. but starting 18?

thats a concern. lockyer for instance is only an emg this week.
Sorry you have lost me. What is the difference between the starting 18 and the starting 22. it makes no difference if you are on the bench or in the 18 these days.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: That's exactly my point. We don't seem to have any better options. Hence what I said "they're the best of a bad lot and in there simply to make up the numbers", which is why we're in trouble, unless some/all of them LIFT, in a big way, or someone in the VFL plays some inspired footy for two months.
This is where we disagree. All three of them have real cases to be in the team. We are a better team with Mini's forward pressure. Eddy was playing well before he got injured he is also a very hard player and Dempster (last week aside) has been good since he came back into the team. They all have something to offer. They are not "best of a bad lot", they are players who can offer the team something.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Good luck to whoever makes the cut - but gee I thought Smith would at least make the 25 - even just to give him some encouragement for his efforts :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
FQF
SS Life Member

MCG-Unit wrote:Good luck to whoever makes the cut - but gee I thought Smith would at least make the 25 - even just to give him some encouragement for his efforts :shock:
let him have another ripper game in Sandy.
he won't be the difference between winning and losing this week so we might as well give him a little more time.

he could be in sooner than we think

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
degruch wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:when i see the names "eddy", "mcqualter" and "dempster" in a starting 22 - i know im not looking at a top 4 side.

Just squint and imagine "Toovey", "Lockyer", "Davis", or "Hunt", "Hawkins", "West", or even "Everitt", "Stack", "Minson"...every teams got 'em. It's how they play within the structure that counts...do their job and I'd be happy to see them (2/3 for 2009) line up for a GF with us.
yeah . good call. funny u mentioned it. cos when i wrote the post i squinted and imagined murphy moss suckling and taylor (hawks)

josh hunt is a good player and andrejs everitt is also no bum and he is only in an extended IC. but i see your point.

i can live with those 3 guys i mentioned on the the pine or as emg's. but starting 18?

What's a 'starting 18'?

I'm not sure I'm old enough to remember...

8-)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
degruch wrote:

Sorry you have lost me. What is the difference between the starting 18 and the starting 22. it makes no difference if you are on the bench or in the 18 these days.
Weren't McQualter and Dempster in a GF side, and Eddy played in a PF which means they all played in a Top 4 team at the very least. I'm a bit confused.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Good luck to whoever makes the cut - but gee I thought Smith would at least make the 25 - even just to give him some encouragement for his efforts :shock:
let him have another ripper game in Sandy.
he won't be the difference between winning and losing this week so we might as well give him a little more time.

he could be in sooner than we think
Fair enough - hope he has another blinder, and comes in sooner rather than later - just thought it might have been this week :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Weren't McQualter and Dempster in a GF side, and Eddy played in a PF which means they all played in a Top 4 team at the very least. I'm a bit confused.
makes no actual difference. just a pecking order thing.

in response to us being top 2 last year:

mcqualter 2009 model was much better than mcqualter 2010 model.
dempster did play in a gf and played the role of "andrew mackies b*tch"
eddy stunk up that PF .

so its not a starting 18 mix that fills me with confidence. its not that confusing.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Hopefully Miles, is in.
Why. His form isnt great and kicking is poor. Would rather Simpkin but dont think we are getting either.
agreed

Another opportunity awaits!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:dempster did play in a gf and played the role of "andrew mackies b*tch"
15 touches and a mark! Take that, Sean!

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:dempster did play in a gf and played the role of "andrew mackies b*tch"
For the record Mackie had 15 disposals and 2 tackles and Dempster had 5 and 0. So yeah take that Sean.

here are the stats if u dont believe me:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_m ... id=4960#t1
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 05 Aug 2010 8:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
did u watch the game or just read the stats?. Was toweled up something shocking by A Mackie.
I especially like the part where Scarlett starts yelling at Mackie for not getting involved and letting us mark inside fifty. Epic game.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: That's exactly my point. We don't seem to have any better options. Hence what I said "they're the best of a bad lot and in there simply to make up the numbers", which is why we're in trouble, unless some/all of them LIFT, in a big way, or someone in the VFL plays some inspired footy for two months.
This is where we disagree. All three of them have real cases to be in the team. We are a better team with Mini's forward pressure. Eddy was playing well before he got injured he is also a very hard player and Dempster (last week aside) has been good since he came back into the team. They all have something to offer. They are not "best of a bad lot", they are players who can offer the team something.
Couldn't agree more. "AnythingsPossibleSaints" - quite the ironic title considering the posts.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
For the record Mackie had 15 disposals and 2 tackles and Dempster had 5 and 0. So yeah take that Sean.

and if he ends up playing good footy this year ill officially apologise and be ostracised. and u can rub my nose it. i just cant see it happening though.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Okay we all agree that Dempster had a quiet GF. I am more interested in his current form. he had 7 tackles last week. He has been good for us since he came back into the side.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I don't understand all the agonising about our bottom six, it's our top sixteen that need to lift!

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I don't understand all the agonising about our bottom six, it's our top sixteen that need to lift!
VERY GOOD CALL. SPOT ON CALL!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Smaller equals better. Port are only playing one ruck. They've got some big bodies in the backline who might not like having smaller guys in their face all game. I'm glad Mini and Eddy are back - even if no one else is.
PA backline is not that tall...it has 3 talls and we will play Roo and Kosi.
They do more height forward though.

Ruck: Brogan 200

FP: Westhoff 198
FF:D Stewart 199
CHF:Schulz 193

FB: Carlile 192
BP P Stewart 191
CHB: Chaplin 196

INT: Trengove 197

With the team...I think Mini was dropped to spell out that his place is not automatic.

For Sept Lyon knows that he needs hard bodies & high workrate..and so that is why Mini is being thrown another chance.

Eddy fills the space that Lyon wants filled.

Would loved to have seen Alias given a run though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I don't understand all the agonising about our bottom six, it's our top sixteen that need to lift!
Agree...my message of late is that what we need for success is to lift our TEAM workrate and discipline. If so form will follow.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
noob
Club Player

so what that dempster got 5 disposals.. its his job to defend isnt it?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: OFFICIAL TEAMS

plugger66 wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:IN: Harding, Logan, Pittard, Thomas
OUT: Nick Salter (calf)
If Pittard makes the final cut it will be his AFL debut.

Pittard was drafted with no. 16, the Saints' pick that was traded to Essendon in the Lovett deal that then went to Port via a 3-way trade involving Hawthorn, with Jay Nash, Mark Williams, and Shaun Burgoyne.
His Dad actually played 48 games for us in the late 50's and 60's. John McMillan.
This one really hurts, considering the kid was a mad one eyed saints supporter growing up. He was hoping like hell that he got through to pick 31 for us to get him.

Found this online...

"Likened to Andrew Mackie, McMillan-Pittard is an attacking half-back who has also played on the wing for the Falcons.

A mad Saints fan, he also models himself in part on Sam Gilbert and Nick Dal Santo.

“I follow them pretty intently so it was a bit disappointing this year - especially living down here [in Geelong],â€

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:so what that dempster got 5 disposals.. its his job to defend isnt it?
Oh, another one who thinks it's okay for defenders to have no possessions. This is not the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s or even the noughties, this is 2010 and you are expected to get your hands on the ball and have an impact on the game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
VERY GOOD CALL. SPOT ON CALL!
I can't keep up with you Con, first you're lamenting some of our bottom players, then you're agreeing with Inkersaint :shock: :wink:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:
noob wrote:so what that dempster got 5 disposals.. its his job to defend isnt it?
Oh, another one who thinks it's okay for defenders to have no possessions. This is not the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s or even the noughties, this is 2010 and you are expected to get your hands on the ball and have an impact on the game.
Yes, but a lot of defenders who get big numbers simply junk it up down back. Doesn't necessarily mean they have played better or worse than a player who has played a more defensive role in stopping an important player.

A quality quote that I have used my whole adult life is this one....

"Statistics are like a bikini, what they reveal is suggestive - but its what they conceal that is vital."

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I actually think Eddy could play Bakes defensive role quite well - as long he also plays Bakes rols of ONLY kicking in defence when under no pressure.......

Mqualter Im not sure on. I would have thought Smith deserved a shot and think we need another midfield option before finals.......not the answer but someone who can just hold their own for 5 at a time...

SONEONE HAS to stop Rodent. Hes their go to man/runner and clearance king. Stop him you go a long way to beating this mob.

We need to win and win well.

“Yeah….nah””