Word is we're interested in Tarrant

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Word is we're interested in Tarrant

Herald Sun word that is :)

CHRIS TARRANT (Fremantle) Likely to come home to Victoria. Industry buzzing with talk that Hawthorn, St Kilda, Carlton are interested

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5910150368

Nice to see we are one of the limited few who have signed most of it's core though.

mick13
Club Player

Would be handy in his prime (as a defender or forward) but I think his time has now passed...

And HSun making s*** up as usual. As if we would be thinking about trades right now.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The interesting one for me on that list was Travis Cloke - 'asked to take a pay cut'.

Maybe Travis feels unwanted as a reflection of being asked to take a pay cut?

If the unthinkable should occur, and Travis asks to be traded to another Club (and only 1 other Club), will the media and wider football public consider Liar Malthouse to be at fault for not 'looking after' a 'favourite son' as much as he clearly should have?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:Would be handy in his prime (as a defender or forward) but I think his time has now passed...

And HSun making s*** up as usual. As if we would be thinking about trades right now.
As if we wouldnt. They would be planning from the start of the year. And even though we are in the most important part of the year, they would never stop looking.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Nathan Djerrkura from Geelong, and Nathan Krakouer from Port both looking for new homes. Would we be interested in either? Both have a lot more footy in front them than Tarrant.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Word is we're interested in Tarrant

SainterK wrote:CHRIS TARRANT (Fremantle) Likely to come home to Victoria. Industry buzzing with talk that Hawthorn, St Kilda, Carlton are interested
i don't believe the herald-sun. but at the same time, i wouldn't be completely surprised if we did make this signing, though i think it would be an enormous mistake to sign a 30-year old who plays in a position where we're relatively well stocked, when next year we'll already have five first-choice players over 30.

from that list i'd take griffen, knights, harbrow, mundy or drummond. but i don't expect we've got much room in the salary cap for anyone, so i can't see us playing at that high end of the market.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Two last years for a genuinely strong and athletic full back?

If taken for diddly, I reckon he's not as silly as many that have been mentioned.

Definitely query whether his head's around continuing on, though. Strikes me as a flighty one.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:The interesting one for me on that list was Travis Cloke - 'asked to take a pay cut'.

Maybe Travis feels unwanted as a reflection of being asked to take a pay cut?

If the unthinkable should occur, and Travis asks to be traded to another Club (and only 1 other Club), will the media and wider football public consider Liar Malthouse to be at fault for not 'looking after' a 'favourite son' as much as he clearly should have?
It could be that the "bean counters" at Collingwood are trying to find the room/cash for CHRIS KNIGHTS & PATRICK RYDER !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bozza1980
Club Player

If the price is right he'd be a good fit in my opinion.

It would all come down to the interest from other clubs and where that drives his price.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Nathan Djerrkura
hells yeah. I reckon this guy is going to be a very good AFL player, and his cost wouldn't be very high what so ever.

Carpe Diem
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Unforgiven wrote:
hells yeah. I reckon this guy is going to be a very good AFL player, and his cost wouldn't be very high what so ever.
The issue is that he is leaving Geelong due to a lack of opportunities - you'd have to be stupid as a player to then cross the St.Kilda where the opportunities are similarly slim... I do agree with your assessment of him though - he looks a likely star and his leg speed would be great for us! But I reckon WCE will push the hardest and have the most to offer.

Krakouer wants to go to either Gold Coast or back home to WA, so we aren;t an option.

I really like Tarrant as an option. He would be a really secure, strong and reliable full-back for the next 2-3 years whilst Zac still develops. I feel Zac is a year or two behind where we need him to be for where the club is at at the moment... You wouldnt want to pay more than a second rounder, but Freo would likely expect a first rounder or a good kid.

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

Unforgiven wrote:
This.

Don't know what the chances of getting him are? but will be a player for sure.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

tarrant ..tarrant .. tarrant tarrant tarrant ... tarrant tarrant ..

makes me think of the pink panther theme for some reason.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pass

Saint4Eva
Club Player

Too old! We have Gaertner and Johnson coming through and they will never come on if we dont put games into them

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

would prefer big Q lynch though, could be like G train Again, wait for it....THE Q TRAIN ...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Nathan Djerrkura from Geelong, and Nathan Krakouer from Port both looking for new homes. Would we be interested in either? Both have a lot more footy in front them than Tarrant.
Krakouer is confirmed to be going the Gold Coast Suns of Beaches.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saint4Eva
Club Player

Ralphy wrote:would prefer big Q lynch though, could be like G train Again, wait for it....THE Q TRAIN ...
We dont need the Q Train.....
We have the G Tram!! (Jason Gram) :lol: :shock:

bergsone
SS Life Member

Saint4Eva wrote:Too old! We have Gaertner and Johnson coming through and they will never come on if we dont put games into them
Add Simpkin and Miles also,after we win the flag this year,dont think we should be chasing 30 year old players

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On Tarrant: will be 30 next year and so I think would be doubtful for us.

The Hawks are desperate for another key defender though and they would see themselves as right in the mix in 2011/2012 if they can improve their defense. Gibbo is too small.

Burgoyne is a month of 28...so having already gained such a classy player they will want to make the most of their next two years.

So you would imagine that the Hawks would give up more than most.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Reports up here that Josh Drummond and Brisbane cant come to agreeance on a new contract. Drummo wants $400k a year, and Lions reportedly are saying, take a hike. I beleive his current contract is approx $280-300.

Very good footballer, injuries have mucked up his career so far. Someone like Drummo in that half back playmakers role would release Goddard up the field.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote: The issue is that he is leaving Geelong due to a lack of opportunities - you'd have to be stupid as a player to then cross the St.Kilda where the opportunities are similarly slim...
Good point, but it's clear there is a gap and room for someone in our 22 who has genuine leg speed. E.g our recruitment of Lovett and Peake, it's not like he is 4th in line as a tall forward behend Roo, Kosi, Stanlet etc...

He has something that not many on our list have. In saying that, yes I realise pace doesn't equal a good AFL player, but this guy is definitly talented.

Carpe Diem
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Stephen Theodore wrote:Reports up here that Josh Drummond and Brisbane cant come to agreeance on a new contract. Drummo wants $400k a year, and Lions reportedly are saying, take a hike. I beleive his current contract is approx $280-300.

Very good footballer, injuries have mucked up his career so far. Someone like Drummo in that half back playmakers role would release Goddard up the field.
Drummond would be a fantastic get, especially if Misson & co could sort out his hammy problems.

Equal best long kick in the league (with BJ).

If he wants $400k though you would think we are out of the picture.

I've stated before that (in my uneducated view) I would like us to go to the draft this year & take as many quick skilful mids as possible.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

thirty-seven!? wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:
The issue is that he is leaving Geelong due to a lack of opportunities - you'd have to be stupid as a player to then cross the St.Kilda where the opportunities are similarly slim... I do agree with your assessment of him though - he looks a likely star and his leg speed would be great for us! But I reckon WCE will push the hardest and have the most to offer.

Krakouer wants to go to either Gold Coast or back home to WA, so we aren;t an option.

I really like Tarrant as an option. He would be a really secure, strong and reliable full-back for the next 2-3 years whilst Zac still develops. I feel Zac is a year or two behind where we need him to be for where the club is at at the moment... You wouldnt want to pay more than a second rounder, but Freo would likely expect a first rounder or a good kid.
I think Djerrkura would certainly have a role in our best 22. Remember Milney is 30, Mini is not making any impact at half forward, we lack genuine leg speed. I think he would be a perfect fit

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It depends where the club thinks we are at. IMO we have at the most 3 years to win a flag so if a 30 year old can do it then we should get him. Remember RL wanted Cousins and if it wasnt for the board he would be with us at the moment and he was 31 at that stage. And lets face it we probably would have won last year with him in the side. I dont there is no pint in getting players from other clubs that may help us. They must help us at the stage we are at or they are a waste of a pick. If RL says we need a full back and he is 30 years old and the right type and if that person is Tarrent then we would be mad not to get him. He probably does have 3 years left in him so it works in nicely to where we are.