McQualter, Eddy, Armitage or Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who do you want?

Poll ended at Thu 02 Sep 2010 8:52pm

McQualter
20%
Eddy
21%
Armitage
21%
Steven
38%

Total votes: 85

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

McQualter, Eddy, Armitage or Steven?

Who would you want in the team for this Friday if it came down to one spot for these four?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I've been sitting here for 2 minutes, and I still haven't voted yet. I really can't decide...

The Saints are coming!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

The good one

Yeah nah pleasing positive
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:I've been sitting here for 2 minutes, and I still haven't voted yet. I really can't decide...
Ye it's bloody tough isn't it.

I went for Armo, gets more of it than the others and certainly tackles well.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mini will play.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Tough but I went for Mini and Steven..Steven has a knack of playing well and kicking goals against the Cats..also if the weather is wet is adept at handling the conditions.Mini just on his experience also gets the nod.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Badlands
Club Player

I went for Rob Eddy, obviously subject to fitness. Wouldn't have done so a month ago. Just really liked the look of him when he was back in. That's who I would want in the team if it came down to those four. But there's no way he would come in at the expense of Mini. Just won't happen.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Voted for Armitage :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
DWOODROW
Club Player

What has Steven done that everyone makes him everyones favourite. Not being disrespectful, He played well against cats but havn't see him do anything out of the ordinary(YET), not to say he won't soon. He will still have to do his apprenticeship.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

think mini would hold just on experience.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Mini will play.
I went for Mini purely due to experience & the fact that he is underated as a smart footballer who gets in the right postions.

His tackling has been disappointing this year but what better an occasion to find his 09 form?

Sam23
SS Life Member

I'D like eddy and then one of mcqualter or Steven. Armitage spud.

Goddard.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ross will decide and I'll be happy whichever way he goes.

They're all great tacklers however from my perspective I reckon Armo & Steven have more class and therefore more capacity to be damaging in their own rights. And I'd go for Armo given his greater experience, which is vital in such a high stakes game against quality opposition.

Anyway that's just my opinion.

As far as I'm concerned they all have their own qualities and none of them are "spuds" :roll:

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Steven, was good against the Cats last time at the G .

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Tough but I went for Mini and Steven..Steven has a knack of playing well and kicking goals against the Cats..also if the weather is wet is adept at handling the conditions.Mini just on his experience also gets the nod.
You call kicking 3 goals once against Geelong a knack?

McQualter should still be at Sandy. How many goals has he kicked his year?

Another opportunity awaits!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

picked steven as he kicked a couple last time and would take a better defender i think as he is sneaky and the cats would be thinking this.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Some players do well against some teams, and Steven looked totally at ease against Geelong, so would get my nod. Mini has lost confidence in his goal kicking and general movement in the forward half and doens't go the hard ball. Eddy may be a pick on a wet day, and Armo is bit suss and may have knee issue?

FQF
SS Life Member

It's not only about how we perceive them, but how the opposition will perceive them.

The Cats will remember Steven, and will therefore pay him for respect and attention. This is a win for us. Because if they pay more attention to Steven, that is attention that would go to Milne and Schneider if Mcqualter was playing.

Eddy and Armitage can really inflict pain on opponents, and wet weather footy only encourages this style. It is the stuff needed for pressure finals.

Having said all that, I'm not convinced there is only one spot. But if there is, Mini will get the nod. And I trust Ross more than I trust myself.

StPeter
Club Player

Steven first definitely...has shown the most of this lot.
Mini has had a poor year and Eddy just isn't good enough.
Armitage also rarely plays to his ability.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:It's not only about how we perceive them, but how the opposition will perceive them.

The Cats will remember Steven, and will therefore pay him for respect and attention. This is a win for us. Because if they pay more attention to Steven, that is attention that would go to Milne and Schneider if Mcqualter was playing.

Eddy and Armitage can really inflict pain on opponents, and wet weather footy only encourages this style. It is the stuff needed for pressure finals.

Having said all that, I'm not convinced there is only one spot. But if there is, Mini will get the nod. And I trust Ross more than I trust myself.
Ditto.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Saints94
SS Life Member

Jack Steven easy beacuse of his class.

saint58
Club Player

Armitage he played well against crows and would be good at hard ball gets not just lenny.He allso can kick goals and will give you a contest.

Steven should allso be in he is a proven goal kicker especially in the wet, and it might be friday.Steven has pace and strength could be explosive has a bit of the x factor.

Out on Friday Geary,Dempster, Mini,Miles+he has been good keep him in mind.
IN on Friday Schneider,Milne,Baker Steven all these guys are goal kickers and and can play in Defence,and Midfield,forward gives us a more rounded attack and defence with contested ball improvment.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Some players do well against some teams, and Steven looked totally at ease against Geelong, so would get my nod. Mini has lost confidence in his goal kicking and general movement in the forward half and doens't go the hard ball. Eddy may be a pick on a wet day, and Armo is bit suss and may have knee issue?
Mini has a higher contested ball rate than:
Lenny Hayes,
Leigh Montagna,
Stephen Milne,
Adam Schneider,

Contested ball is not his issue. It's uncontested ball, kicking penetration, and foot speed. I don't think he ever had confidence in his goal kicking - in 2009, I think he just got more ball close to goal with teams reluctant to rush behinds.

Speaking of guys who went around okay v Geelong though, Mini had 23 possessions, including 10 contested (his high for the year), and 3 assists. Interestingly, he only had 3 tackles, which is generally a good indicator of how he's travelling.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
spert wrote:Some players do well against some teams, and Steven looked totally at ease against Geelong, so would get my nod. Mini has lost confidence in his goal kicking and general movement in the forward half and doens't go the hard ball. Eddy may be a pick on a wet day, and Armo is bit suss and may have knee issue?
Mini has a higher contested ball rate than:
Lenny Hayes,
Leigh Montagna,
Stephen Milne,
Adam Schneider,

Contested ball is not his issue. It's uncontested ball, kicking penetration, and foot speed. I don't think he ever had confidence in his goal kicking - in 2009, I think he just got more ball close to goal with teams reluctant to rush behinds.

Speaking of guys who went around okay v Geelong though, Mini had 23 possessions, including 10 contested (his high for the year), and 3 assists. Interestingly, he only had 3 tackles, which is generally a good indicator of how he's travelling.
Ye that was his best game all year.

I noticed on Saturday that whilst he laid 7 tackles- precious few of them stuck

ben_fff
Club Player

I've decided to post before I read any other comments.

I voted Jack Steven, I feel like he's hard enough (lol) can tackle and as well all know can kick a goal. If everyone was at their peak I'd be all for McQualter but he just looks like a passenger this season, so disappointing after really showing he could be a big part of our side. If Armitage was more a 20 possie player than a 10 I'd go with him.