Clint Jones' goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kilda
Club Player

Clint Jones' goal

Unlike someone such as Aussie Jones who was a delight by either foot, Clint Jones (despite his unquestionable value to the side) has struggled on his right foot. That makes his goal from close to the boundary line with a right foot snap that gained momentum once it hit the turf all the more impressive. The power that he was able to exert with that right foot snap was a ripper!

FQF
SS Life Member

They must be brothers.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

By my reckoning only his third right foot kick for the year and it won us the game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
FQF
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:By my reckoning only his third right foot kick for the year and it won us the game.
I'm sure used it more than that at training.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:By my reckoning only his third right foot kick for the year and it won us the game.
Who'd know? We aren't allowed to watch training.

Going on the training sessions I have seen, I'd still say it was his third right foot kick for the year. I'm pretty sure he doesn't really know he has two.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
python
Club Player

I believe that in the spirit of the game, and in the context of how Jones had been kicking with his preferred all game, and considering how often he'd used his right over the course of the game, that Jones' goal is the clear goal of the year.

Buddy may have kicked two amazing goals from the boundary, Milne may have snapped what was once believed impossible, but we expect that from them. This was finals, it was wet, and Jones had given no indication that that would happen with his previous kicks, which had all been with his other foot.

Clear winner

Statsman
Club Player

I'm surprised Geelong and the media didn't argue that CJ kicking a right-foot snap from outside 50m in the wet late in a tight final is not "in the spirit of the game" and therefore should be disallowed. Especially given he only kicked the goal because his opponent, poor little Gary Giblett, had just been cruelly felled by a Lenny Hayes headbutt to his knee. ;-)

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
markp
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
FQF wrote:
Who'd know? We aren't allowed to watch training.
Maybe that's one of the things they've been working on... and it's called 'Magnum'.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

f*** me if I hear one more media commentator say Hayes "head butted Gary's knee" again I'm going to head butt their face.

Hayes was going for the ball and not for the first time Gary sets himself with a protruding knee to make the ball gatherer "earn" his possession. Watch him play enough and you will see he uses it as a technique. I remember the last time we played them I think it was Woijinski slid into maybe Geary? smashed him head down over the ball and whinged when a free was payed. The rule is there to protect the guy who goes for the ball. We whinge when Selwood gets frees for sliding down in a tackle yet heaps on here think there should be no protection for the ball player. Ablett moved in at pace and saw what was coming and angled his knee cap at the head. Didn't do any damage this time, but if he cracked a neck vertebra or Kosied him we would have kissed our GF dreams goodbye. Dirty act that could cause serious damage one day.

marksnsparks
Club Player

gringo wrote:f*** me if I hear one more media commentator say Hayes "head butted Gary's knee" again I'm going to head butt their face.

Hayes was going for the ball and not for the first time Gary sets himself with a protruding knee to make the ball gatherer "earn" his possession. Watch him play enough and you will see he uses it as a technique. I remember the last time we played them I think it was Woijinski slid into maybe Geary? smashed him head down over the ball and whinged when a free was payed. The rule is there to protect the guy who goes for the ball. We whinge when Selwood gets frees for sliding down in a tackle yet heaps on here think there should be no protection for the ball player. Ablett moved in at pace and saw what was coming and angled his knee cap at the head. Didn't do any damage this time, but if he cracked a neck vertebra or Kosied him we would have kissed our GF dreams goodbye. Dirty act that could cause serious damage one day.
It's OK Gringo, we won.

bendigo bob
Club Player

Re: Clint Jones' goal

Kilda wrote:Clint Jones (despite his unquestionable value to the side) has struggled on his right foot.
I was under the impression that he still strugles on his left foot as well :lol:

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!