This Year vs Last Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Broodruff
Club Player

This Year vs Last Year

Last year after the siren went when we'd put ourselves into the grand final, the celebrations were massive. Obviously it'd been a long time since we'd been in one, but one of the big big things I noticed about tonight was there was very little celebration and carry-ing on.

The focus and determination is almost scary. Qualifying for a GF is a big news, but to a lot of the boys... well, in The Boss' famous words...

Unfinished Business.

Did anyone else notice this?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I certainly noticed it amoungst the fans.

goods
Club Player

yeah i was the same, job not complete.

FullMonty
Club Player

Absolutely.
Very quiet in compariso to the filth

Montyrules!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Last year was quite a close preliminary final though, so I think one of the reasons the celebration was subdued was because the result was decided early in the 4th quarter.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, good to see the boys belt out the tune, very business like. Collingwood had about 20 B-grade celebrities shoved into their celebrations and carried on like they had the cup already. :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Time to un-cork it, the pain that Roo told them to bottle...

It's time.

saintDal
Club Player

Yeah noticed during the song the boys weren't belting it out as they usually do, even during Milneys bit. Good to see. The jobs not done yet.

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Time to un-cork it, the pain that Roo told them to bottle...

It's time.
Well said! Well put! :D

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Broodruff
Club Player

I noticed it during the song too. Like you said - Milney didnt belt it out, there wasnt the usual shenanigans of people throwing their drinks all over the room. Someone else said it before. Very businesslike.

saint1974
Club Player

Just got home,I noticed that our supporters were fairly controlled and quiet compared to last year.
Unfinished business to commence and be wrapt up at about 5.30pm next Saturday.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Last year we won it with a minute to go. This year it was over 10 minutes into the third. I think that explains why we are more calm.

sainta
Club Player

I've been told that inside the club the feeling is a lot different to last year. Apparently they had a lot of issues happening internally but this time they are very tight knit, focused and confident.

I guess there was a lot of pressure last year with our 19-0 start whereas this year we haven't been as impressive. Hopefully that pressure is on the pies!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I certainly noticed it amoungst the fans.
Yes it was joyful celebrations, but not absolute ecstatic euphoria.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Last year we won it with a minute to go. This year it was over 10 minutes into the third. I think that explains why we are more calm.
This is exactly what I thought at the time. The fans knew it was all over in the 3rd, most of the chatter in the 4th was about not getting injured, and 'next week'.

Carpe Diem
saintnick12
Club Player

Yeah, it was almost a bit of an anti climax.
No tears this year, just a hug with the family. No hugging complete strangers like against Geelong in the QF.
Last year I was so excited to be going to the GF.
I guess we all know that the job is not done yet and given it wasn't close, there was just a knowing sense of satisfaction without going over the top. We all know there is one game to go....
The lid will well and truely come off if we win it...tears will be flowing.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Last year we lost.

This year we will win.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Year vs Last Year

Broodruff wrote:Last year after the siren went when we'd put ourselves into the grand final, the celebrations were massive. Obviously it'd been a long time since we'd been in one, but one of the big big things I noticed about tonight was there was very little celebration and carry-ing on.

The focus and determination is almost scary. Qualifying for a GF is a big news, but to a lot of the boys... well, in The Boss' famous words...

Unfinished Business.

Did anyone else notice this?
Yep! Straight into the bubble, nice, sound and snug! :)

Rest up Mighty Saints!! We've got another real crack at this!! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Broodruff
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Last year we lost.

This year we will win.
That being the other big difference :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Last year we won it with a minute to go. This year it was over 10 minutes into the third. I think that explains why we are more calm.
This is exactly what I thought at the time. The fans knew it was all over in the 3rd, most of the chatter in the 4th was about not getting injured, and 'next week'.
Agree also.....lots of fun in the crowd, and a nice chance to send Big Bazza off in the only way we know how also!!!

Must admit I was hoping Johnno would get a last goal in the final term as a bit of a nicer send off for a champion.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Q5
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:Yeah, it was almost a bit of an anti climax.
No tears this year, just a hug with the family. No hugging complete strangers like against Geelong in the QF.
Last year I was so excited to be going to the GF.
I guess we all know that the job is not done yet and given it wasn't close, there was just a knowing sense of satisfaction without going over the top. We all know there is one game to go....
The lid will well and truely come off if we win it...tears will be flowing.
My thoughts exactly. Walked up Punt Rd feeling surprisingly flat. Turned to Dad and sis trying to analyse it and realised that really, it's 'half time', the second 'half' gets played out next week.

GO SAINTS!!!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The premiership quarter on Fox now

Half time on the replay on Fox.

For anyone interested in seeing the best bit again...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
missgez
Club Player

Despite the more subdued vibe of the prelim win I still have a grand final-sized hangover haha