Josh Bruce has gone mad.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Josh Bruce has gone mad.

kosifantutti wrote:Interesting article in The Age today. Where would we be without Dermie?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/-1mjafh.html

Wow - all hail Dermie the footballing god.

All his doing by the sounds of it.

Heard Bruce on TV stating they had proved the "experts" who said we wouldn't win a game , totally wrong.

Dermie the footballing god was one of these.

I am sure he will start to bag him now.

You are garbage - Enough said
Saint wagga
Club Player

Loving the Urban Cowboy! So exciting to have a pack crashing specky taking forward!! And his work rate, hardness at the ball and the fact he looks like a genuinely team oriented a popular member of the team are bonuses!! I'm hoping his confidence and new found self belief can run off on more youngsters...belief must play a huge part in establishing young talent into quality afl footballer!! "The Do", "the urban Cowboy" has put a big smile on my face as I walk around work today!!

felix
Club Player

I like his look personally , the chicks like it , the young folk like it , he is the new age pinup boy of the saints ...he is the anti Bogan ...

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Have we not got a little bit carried away with the hype here?? As we are prone to do as Saints supporters??

Bruce had an unbelievable game on Saturday, everything he touched turned to gold - kicking bananas, marking everything he got anywhere near, etc.

But 2 weeks ago very few people had him in their predicted round 1 team, and his form in the NAB cup was scratchy......

.......ah, bugger it. All aboard the Bruce Train......paying $101 for the Coleman - easy money!!!
(by the way, Big Spencer is paying $251 for the Coleman if anyone's feeling risky)

FQF
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Have we not got a little bit carried away with the hype here?? As we are prone to do as Saints supporters??

Bruce had an unbelievable game on Saturday, everything he touched turned to gold - kicking bananas, marking everything he got anywhere near, etc.

But 2 weeks ago very few people had him in their predicted round 1 team, and his form in the NAB cup was scratchy......

.......ah, bugger it. All aboard the Bruce Train......paying $101 for the Coleman - easy money!!!
(by the way, Big Spencer is paying $251 for the Coleman if anyone's feeling risky)
No doubt we have, but then again, don't underestimate the effect that having Roo in the forward line has. Once Membrey (or Paddy/Spence) hits his straps, it'll help the improvement even more.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I hate to be the voice of scepticism but Bruce has had one good game (including a legendary speccie) and one outstanding game. Lets keep it in our pants a bit. Sometimes players have those games where everything sticks and everything comes off - I mean those banana kicks even! We need to see how he performs as a forward presence over this season to give real credence to him as a forward. Oppo teams will now do genuine homework on him - he may even get the best defender next week. They'll be conscious of scragging and blocking him to stop his leap at the footy. Its going to be another level of challenge for the Bruce man. Confidence can be a fickle mistress. He needs to keep the endeavour high. If its not happening for him he can still put forward pressure on, block for others, crash packs to stop the oppo marking.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Have we not got a little bit carried away with the hype here?? As we are prone to do as Saints supporters??

:P I just wrote almost the exact same thing! Great minds think alike!

FQF
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:I hate to be the voice of scepticism but Bruce has had one good game (including a legendary speccie) and one outstanding game. Lets keep it in our pants a bit. Sometimes players have those games where everything sticks and everything comes off - I mean those banana kicks even! We need to see how he performs as a forward presence over this season to give real credence to him as a forward. Oppo teams will now do genuine homework on him - he may even get the best defender next week. They'll be conscious of scragging and blocking him to stop his leap at the footy. Its going to be another level of challenge for the Bruce man. Confidence can be a fickle mistress. He needs to keep the endeavour high. If its not happening for him he can still put forward pressure on, block for others, crash packs to stop the oppo marking.
There could be no better outcome for Roo, and thus our team, if Bruce gets the best defender. Won't happen.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I hate to be the voice of scepticism but Bruce has had one good game (including a legendary speccie) and one outstanding game. Lets keep it in our pants a bit. Sometimes players have those games where everything sticks and everything comes off - I mean those banana kicks even! We need to see how he performs as a forward presence over this season to give real credence to him as a forward. Oppo teams will now do genuine homework on him - he may even get the best defender next week. They'll be conscious of scragging and blocking him to stop his leap at the footy. Its going to be another level of challenge for the Bruce man. Confidence can be a fickle mistress. He needs to keep the endeavour high. If its not happening for him he can still put forward pressure on, block for others, crash packs to stop the oppo marking.

yes, thats very true, but if they block and and use 2 players on him, guess what , Reiwoldt will then only be one against one and membry will also be to be used better.

Megamaguire
Club Player

GOOD JOB JOSH BRUCE ! !

Only had the radio commentery of SEN to follow the game but enjoyed the building excitement as Bruchey kept clunking marks and bagging the 6 available points when he kicked for goal.
At one point one of the commentators blurted out "J E S U S - he's got it again" somewhat shocked.
Even listening was a real thrill hearing the Bruchey power-play unfold.

Walking with a skip in the stride thanks to 'B R U C H E Y !' :D

WELL DONE JOSH !
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Hope Bruce goes on to bigger and better things.
BUT before we get too carried away just google John Georgiades Footscray

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Hope Bruce goes on to bigger and better things.
BUT before we get too carried away just google John Georgiades Footscray

Or Cuthbertson Melbourne.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wow...that balloon popped quickly!!!

While yes it would be fantastic if he turned out to be a week in week out very good foward, if if he is only an "ok" big forward that will still be very good for the balance of our forward line and team structure.

TICKS!!!
> Can play BOTH ends = versatile and havinga "swingman" is very handy fora coach
> I think the GPS had him running 16 km in a game = good aerobic capacity = one of the reasons he could get back to take those goal square mareks
> Aggressive type player that our team lacks - that square up for Roo was fantastic
> Big and mobile unit, even if he lacks express pace

You need 2 or more big forwards these days, but they need to be mobile.

Bruce Almighty is a good contrast with our other big forwards fopr both this year and next.

ie McCartin, Bruce and White is a package of big forwards who are all different.

The exciting thing for me at present is that we are building a list of players that will make for a BALANCED TEAM. We currently have every positioned covered even if we still lack say a couple of gun mids.

But overall things are shapping up nicely.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Loving the Urban Cowboy! So exciting to have a pack crashing specky taking forward!! And his work rate, hardness at the ball and the fact he looks like a genuinely team oriented a popular member of the team are bonuses!! I'm hoping his confidence and new found self belief can run off on more youngsters...belief must play a huge part in establishing young talent into quality afl footballer!! "The Do", "the urban Cowboy" has put a big smile on my face as I walk around work today!!

The Saints media team screwed up that term...it's urban bushranger. You know like the Ned Kelly beard- Urban Cowboy sounds like a 1970s film about rent boys.

Saint wagga
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Loving the Urban Cowboy! So exciting to have a pack crashing specky taking forward!! And his work rate, hardness at the ball and the fact he looks like a genuinely team oriented a popular member of the team are bonuses!! I'm hoping his confidence and new found self belief can run off on more youngsters...belief must play a huge part in establishing young talent into quality afl footballer!! "The Do", "the urban Cowboy" has put a big smile on my face as I walk around work today!!

The Saints media team screwed up that term...it's urban bushranger. You know like the Ned Kelly beard- Urban Cowboy sounds like a 1970s film about rent boys.
hey good pickup - but i like the cowboy, strut into town with a swagger a lay some smackdown ;-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
hey good pickup - but i like the cowboy, strut into town with a swagger a lay some smackdown ;-)
And the last Cowboy at the Saints:
* Could play FF or FB
* Was known for being aggressive and and enoircer
* Often took speccies....and hence his nickname!

So some parallels there....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: GOOD JOB JOSH BRUCE ! !

Megamaguire wrote:Only had the radio commentery of SEN to follow the game but enjoyed the building excitement as Bruchey kept clunking marks and bagging the 6 available points when he kicked for goal.
At one point one of the commentators blurted out "J E S U S - he's got it again" somewhat shocked.
Even listening was a real thrill hearing the Bruchey power-play unfold.

Walking with a skip in the stride thanks to 'B R U C H E Y !' :D

WELL DONE JOSH !
G O S A I N T S !
Just saw the replay last night. Loved those contested grabs. Really solid hands in a contested situation. Very encouraging.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A great thread. Although, for the meantime, I'll be keeping a lid on the Bruce factor. Still very early days to come in his career. A wonderful start to his season campaign, however. Fingers crossed his reinvention as a forward can only flourish.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Interesting article in The Age today. Where would we be without Dermie?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/-1mjafh.html

Wow - all hail Dermie the footballing god.

All his doing by the sounds of it.

Heard Bruce on TV stating they had proved the "experts" who said we wouldn't win a game , totally wrong.

Dermie the footballing god was one of these.

I am sure he will start to bag him now.
Honestly how much bathwater can one man drink!!

Forget our numerous full time recruiting staff, scouts and assistant coaches. Ignore our head of football at the time, Chris Pelchin, who had a history of shrewd trading and drafting (not all working out so positively). Ignore our other, similar trade draft movements in that time gaining players such as Saad, Milera, Lee and Hickey.
It was Dermies call to his mate Watters that got Bruce to the club, because, although Bruce was training and playing defence at GWS, Derm knew he had star forward potential, and was happy to see him get to his most loathed club, the Saints... All this comes out the day after he kicks 6 goals.

Derm is the anti Richie Benaud, a man known and loved for his less is more approach when it comes to commenting on their respective sports. Derm just dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and hopefully numbs everyone into thinking he makes sense. Just talks utter s***.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"Bruce to St Kilda all thanks to Dermie" could be just another furphy :wink:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Goodness! What on earth is that dead animal Dermie has draped himself in?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:Goodness! What on earth is that dead animal Dermie has draped himself in?

Think it is mammoth pelt

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:"Bruce to St Kilda all thanks to Dermie" could be just another furphy :wink:

Most men his age go silver fox he's gone all golden turkey.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Goodness! What on earth is that dead animal Dermie has draped himself in?
So the foxes name was Dermie too? That is spooky. 8-)

Austinnn
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Think it is mammoth pelt
I think it is a mammoth foreskin, protecting the mammoth knob inside.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone