Alex Silvagni

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:Haven't seen Silvagni play, but a late round pick/rookie pick wouldn't be wasted on him.
Why wouldnt it be wasted. You havent even seen him play.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
midas_touch wrote:Haven't seen Silvagni play, but a late round pick/rookie pick wouldn't be wasted on him.
exhibit a - why some people should think before they type

if a football club did that they would have up and died years ago

clever

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I've seen him play, i'd take him with a 4th/5th rounder. Fits the bill at the ready to go dour defender we need, at least as a backup to Max and/or Goose. Young, and hasn't been through (and failed) in the AFL system like Wall, who has been on the rookie list at two clubs.

Every defender we recruit allows guys like Goddard, Gram, Chips, Raph to play further up the ground where they are undoubtedly more effective.

If you look back on previous threads, I was totally against the idea. Times have changed, he has showed continual improvement, and is listed in the bests for the club week in, week out.

To those who say his disposal isn't great, it's probably comparable to Max Hudghton and Andrew Thompson. It's his defensive ability that we need.
Last edited by Otiman on Sun 06 Jul 2008 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I've seen him play, i'd take him with a 4th/5th rounder. Fits the bill at the ready to go dour defender we need, at least as a backup to Max and/or Goose. Young, and hasn't been through (and failed) in the AFL system like Wall, who has been on the rookie list at two clubs.

Every defender we recruit allows guys like Goddard, Gram, Chips, Raph to play further up the ground where they are undoubtedly more effective.
But you havent seen other backman play who could be better. Leave it to the people who know. Afterall this guy didnt even make the state squad and Wall did and he didnt make it in the AFL at 2 clubs.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote:i'd take him with a 4th/5th rounder.
I think he would be still around for the Rookie draft.

My only query on him is his kicking. When I've watched him play play he has made a few bad errors with his kicking which resulted in goals for the opposition. Maybe being on an AFL list he could improve this but I still think there are other better defenders in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Otiman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But you havent seen other backman play who could be better. Leave it to the people who know. Afterall this guy didnt even make the state squad and Wall did and he didnt make it in the AFL at 2 clubs.
agree, why would we want to speculate on a footy forum about who the club should be taking :roll:

in fact add that to player selection, tactics etc.

God this will be a boring forum, full of GT/RL abuse and talk about the looks of players and their hair styles......

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But you havent seen other backman play who could be better. Leave it to the people who know. Afterall this guy didnt even make the state squad and Wall did and he didnt make it in the AFL at 2 clubs.
Having been through the "professional" system in the AFL, gives Wall a huge advantage, and therefore Alex has more potential upside. Wall is also a more attacking/rebound player, which we have plenty of.

I've seen other key backmen who would probably slot into the side better, but none that are under 21, 192cm, and are the cornerstone of the side who has conceeded 100 less points than any other club in the VFL this year.

I also still think we should have had a good look at Valenti last year.

I don't follow the WAFL or SA(N)FL, so i'll concede there could be some better options there.

Of course, his 0-20m and other fitness tests would say for sure if he was able to take the next step and play on elite AFL forwards.

mick13
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Otiman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But have you seen other backmen play?

I'll admit I haven't seen him play, but he's constantly in the bests, being written about in reviews and Casey has one of the best defence in the league. He must be doing something right. Surely he's worth a rookie selection if not a national draft pick.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Otiman wrote:i'd take him with a 4th/5th rounder.
I think he would be still around for the Rookie draft.

My only query on him is his kicking. When I've watched him play play he has made a few bad errors with his kicking which resulted in goals for the opposition. Maybe being on an AFL list he could improve this but I still think there are other better defenders in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL.
Maxy never was a great kicker and I actually think it's more a decision making excersise for silvagni which would be ironed out in a AFL environment. He's got a decient kicking style, unlike say CJ who is ironing out some really big kinks.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote:I also still think we should have had a good look at Valenti last year.
Last year after watching Austin Wonaeamirri play in the SANFL I remember saying that we should get him with our first pick in the Rookie draft. He is just the type of player we need now.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Have any of you with strong opinions on Alex Silvagni bothered to contact our recruiters with your opinions? They can be contacted via the club !!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Have any of you with strong opinions on Alex Silvagni bothered to contact our recruiters with your opinions? They can be contacted via the club !!
I would hope that there would be plenty around the club (Hutchison, Sexton) who have seen a great deal of him at Casey, and would have a better idea than the rest of us.

lenny is the man

This is my first post, so go easy........But for a 4/5th round selection it can't really hurt, and from what i've read a few people seem to think he has potential...i say go for it :D

LENNY IS THE MAN!!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not fair on a guy to give an poinion just on todays game but to me he is a guy who cannot kick well, doesnt get the ball and just seems like a stopper. Not an AFL player from what I saw today and also badly injured a leg on the 3 quarter time siren.

adobe
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Not fair on a guy to give an poinion just on todays game but to me he is a guy who cannot kick well, doesnt get the ball and just seems like a stopper. Not an AFL player from what I saw today and also badly injured a leg on the 3 quarter time siren.
Its funny how when he did not play in the last quarter Williamstowns forwards dominated in the last quarter and played their best quarter . As usual 3 different forwards on him no one could manage more than 1 goal if any.This guy does his job every week.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
Otiman wrote:I also still think we should have had a good look at Valenti last year.
Last year after watching Austin Wonaeamirri play in the SANFL I remember saying that we should get him with our first pick in the Rookie draft. He is just the type of player we need now.
wonaeamirri is average

that team has literally nothing to kick to so that might as well give it to him and see what he can produce

he wouldnt get a game at any other club at this stage

he will be like eddie betts form carlton...as soon as they are challengers he will be found out and delisted as they realize that a random awesome goal once in a while does not equal staying in a 22 let alone a list

overrated

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
midas_touch
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
You can afford to gamble with rookie/late round picks moreso than early round picks. You might end up with a dud or two, but you are better off gambling with a late round/rookie pick than using a 1st/2nd round pick to pick up a dud like we have done in the past.

Anyway, I seen him play today down at Willi, and he put in a fairly decent performance. Made a couple of good spoils, and seems to have good pace off the mark.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

adobe wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Not fair on a guy to give an poinion just on todays game but to me he is a guy who cannot kick well, doesnt get the ball and just seems like a stopper. Not an AFL player from what I saw today and also badly injured a leg on the 3 quarter time siren.
Its funny how when he did not play in the last quarter Williamstowns forwards dominated in the last quarter and played their best quarter . As usual 3 different forwards on him no one could manage more than 1 goal if any.This guy does his job every week.
What tall forward kicked goals for willy in the last quarter? If you want a stopper who isnt a good kick when all of us havent even seen Tac cup players wafl players and safl players then go for him but lets face it if he wasnt playing for Scorps we wouldnt even mention his name.