Jimmy Gwilt - Best 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Oh and regarding Gwilt versus Hammil -Gwilt is on the ground and will contribute to a flag, Hammil spent much of his later career watching from the stands.

philip
Club Player

i know you call yourself eye eyed saint, but you might need two if you think gwilt is in our best 22.

that said neither is raph on current form!

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:and Goddard..very ordinary the last two games.
:shock: :shock:

BJ is not going anywhere.

One of the strenghths of our midfield and expanded midfield in 2009 is that a different player or two stars each week...

This is fantastic as it makes it almost impossible for an opponent to tag us out of the game.

It used to be...shut down Dal...and you were a long way to beating the Saints as our midfield could not cause enough damage.

At various times this year Joey, Ray, Dal, Lenny, BJ, CJ have all excelled....and in the Roos game up bobbed Gram with pretty fair game (apart from his kicking).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Red Balls

I agree. His most useful attribute is his defensive pressure - which I suspect makes him a more than useful contributor to the team. He will never be a prolific scorer of goals not with Kosi, Roo, Milny and Schneider to contend with. His significance to the team is shown by the confidence that Lyon shows in him particularly during the last four games when we were under the pump (or could have been) during the last quarter.

Red Balls
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

something that shouldn't go without mention in this thread is our glut of good, tall defenders.

this week we're a chance to have five key defenders (or guys who have played that position) - max, dawson, blake, gilbert and fisher,

and that is without taking into account raph (a tallish flanker), goose (who hasn't been able to break in to the side) and dempster (who is coming back from a serious injury).

while this is a definite strength for us, there is always a danger of us going in too tall, leaving us short of run in the backline. (imo we shouldn't move too far away from the structure that has made us the best defence in the competition this season).

if there is a chance that any of the ones who miss out can contribute more in gwilt's role then they should be considered for it - not pigeonholed as defenders only.

comments?

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I trust Ross' decsion making and the rest of the coaching panel.
Sometimes there are frustrations in watching most players but at 11 wins on the bounce, virtually a full squad to select from, winning comfortably, winning from behind and flogging teams when ahead I think we have to go with Coach Ross on this matter.
If you know more than him about our players and football, what the frig are you doing here when you should be at Moorabbin studying tapes, talking to your assistants, maybe doing some media and also talking to Jungle about how he needs to be harder, take more marks and kick more goals ya flog!?

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
reincarnated

What do people here actually expect of Jimmy Gwilt, and from my vantage point at the dome he is doing what is expected of him.

He is played as a third forward to chip in and out of games and offer another option to set up attack when the talls or milne/schnieder aren't available and free

He will not get the 20 touches, 5 tackles and 4 goals that Hamill was able to attain due to the fact we do not go through Gwilt even close to the amount of times that we went through Sammy (who was our last medium sized forward)

Get a grip if you think otherwise, he bobbed up at least 5 times in and around the forward 50 and did well

Milton66
SS Life Member

reincarnated wrote:What do people here actually expect of Jimmy Gwilt, and from my vantage point at the dome he is doing what is expected of him.

He is played as a third forward to chip in and out of games and offer another option to set up attack when the talls or milne/schnieder aren't available and free

He will not get the 20 touches, 5 tackles and 4 goals that Hamill was able to attain due to the fact we do not go through Gwilt even close to the amount of times that we went through Sammy (who was our last medium sized forward)

Get a grip if you think otherwise, he bobbed up at least 5 times in and around the forward 50 and did well
That's exactly my point. Thank you for explaining it clearly. Sadly, you'll find there are idiots on here who just wanna bag certain players. And the worst part is that some of them don't even go and watch games live, ffs.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
PJ
SS Life Member

I just wish he'd bring back the FRO

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
reincarnated wrote:What do people here actually expect of Jimmy Gwilt, and from my vantage point at the dome he is doing what is expected of him.

That's exactly my point. Thank you for explaining it clearly. Sadly, you'll find there are idiots on here who just wanna bag certain players. And the worst part is that some of them don't even go and watch games live, ffs.
Worst part is that some go watch games live, and still bag certain players...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

no one wants to see good solid players like jimmy dropped.

however the fact is that the pressure is on for spots in this team across the board.

some have suggested dropping max or blake or dawson because of a possible balance problem in defence and you could argue that all of those are ahead of jimmy as footballers.

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:no one wants to see good solid players like jimmy dropped.

however the fact is that the pressure is on for spots in this team across the board.

some have suggested dropping max or blake or dawson because of a possible balance problem in defence and you could argue that all of those are ahead of jimmy as footballers.
I'd argue that Goose is also ahead of Jimmy, but as you stated, it's all about balance.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:

I'd argue that Goose is also ahead of Jimmy, but as you stated, it's all about balance.
he is and it is. the selectors have to find a way to fit gilbert into a backline that was already considered too tall last week (as blake had to spend some time forward).

one solution would be to move blake or dawson into the ruck. another would be to play gilbert or fisher forward instead of jimmy (although both are excellent defenders who provide much of the run). or could dawson play forward? or could blake?

or do you simply drop max or blake or dawson?

it's a balancing act between getting our best players on the park and maintaining what has been a very effective structure.

to be honest i don't envy the selectors with the hard decisions they must make.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote: He will not get the 20 touches, 5 tackles and 4 goals that Hamill was able to attain
Throughout his career Hamill only attained

8.5 kicks, 5.5 handballs, 4.5 marks, 2.8 tackles and 1.3 goals per game

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

he is and it is. the selectors have to find a way to fit gilbert into a backline that was already considered too tall last week (as blake had to spend some time forward).

one solution would be to move blake or dawson into the ruck. another would be to play gilbert or fisher forward instead of jimmy (although both are excellent defenders who provide much of the run). or could dawson play forward? or could blake?

it's a balancing act between getting our best players on the park and maintaining what has been a very effective structure.

First things first, Lyon will want a settled back 6. The rest grows from there.

Frankly, I don't think Lyon has big plans for Goose going by his comments. And maybe he doesn't fit into the structure he wants. The game has evolved, Goose may no longer provide the flexibility reqired, and I fear that Baker is also falling into that category.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:First things first, Lyon will want a settled back 6. The rest grows from there.
he had one, but max's return has confused things a bit.
Milton66 wrote:Frankly, I don't think Lyon has big plans for Goose going by his comments.
i think you've read that right, but an injury or suspension to kosi or riewoldt or blake or dawson could change that in an instant.

there is also the possibility of him playing as a mobile second ruck which ross has mentioned.

i'd say it's unlikely, but if mcevoy doesn't grab his chance with both hands, who knows? goose, while conceding centimetres, is very strong bodied and experienced and would provide plenty around the ground.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:First things first, Lyon will want a settled back 6. The rest grows from there.
he had one, but max's return has confused things a bit.
Milton66 wrote:Frankly, I don't think Lyon has big plans for Goose going by his comments.
i think you've read that right, but an injury or suspension to kosi or riewoldt or blake or dawson could change that in an instant.

there is also the possibility of him playing as a mobile second ruck which ross has mentioned.

i'd say it's unlikely, but if mcevoy doesn't grab his chance with both hands, who knows? goose, while conceding centimetres, is very strong bodied and experienced and would provide plenty around the ground.
Not sure of your height Big Carl but I think you have more chance of playing as a ruckman as has Goose. His days as a ruckman are cooked. If we had to go down that path Blake would have to do that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not sure of your height Big Carl but I think you have more chance of playing as a ruckman as has Goose. His days as a ruckman are cooked. If we had to go down that path Blake would have to do that.
like i said, unlikely.

but the coach did mention this possibility, so ben better grab his chance. i'm only just 6 foot btw.

Richter
SS Life Member

Gwilt plays as a medium bodied CHF. In a team that has the third highest points for in the comp. he is averaging 0.36 goals per game. That is not enough IMO.

I'd like a bit more tackling, a few more possessions, a few more goal assists, a lot more marks inside 50 and a lot more goals.

He keeps his spot because it is the only position on the ground where there is no real competition for spots. That is part of the reason we picked up Lynch as our first round draft pick. In retropsect, how much happier would we have currently been if we had picked up Jack Riewoldt in the 2006 draft instead of David Armitage.

aussiejones
Club Player

Gwilt is going just fine ! Has shown improvement ... more to come with game time

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

dawson int he ruck. a player who has never played in the ruck your'e suggesting he plays there. ????

The structure of 2 ruckmen works betterand well for the saints. Just look when we had kosi rucking after he came back from the weeks injury when king was out. It did not work well, Kosi could not do both jobs well.[/b]

Milton66
SS Life Member

Agree. It has to come to where you'll get maximum value from players, and at the moment, Kosi at FF is working nicely.

Zac could no doubt play fwd, but not in the ruck... nor Goose... nor Kosi for that matter.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:dawson int he ruck. a player who has never played in the ruck your'e suggesting he plays there. ????

The structure of 2 ruckmen works betterand well for the saints. Just look when we had kosi rucking after he came back from the weeks injury when king was out. It did not work well, Kosi could not do both jobs well.[/b]
i wouldn't necessarily try it but someone else put it forward as an option, no doubt in an attempt to fit five key defenders (all starting 22 players i might add) into the team.

btw, one of the reasons it did not work with kosi as second ruck was because it robbed us of a second key forward and meant that every time we went inside 50 we went to riewoldt.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 10 Jun 2009 3:01pm, edited 3 times in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Agree. It has to come to where you'll get maximum value from players, and at the moment, Kosi at FF is working nicely.

Zac could no doubt play fwd, but not in the ruck... nor Goose... nor Kosi for that matter.
the coach has played kosi there before and has mentioned goose might be able to play as a mobile second ruck.

i think it's unlikely, particularly if ben grabs his chance, but it is worth canvassing all options.

but, yes, i agree that kosi is vital doing what he is doing atm.

NoIdea

Yep, long time lurker, first time poster etc.
Insert "you're a troll" comments here... :D
Anyway, as per Jimmy Gwilt, for those that say he goes missing far too often, has it been mentioned yet that he normally spends at least a third of each quarter on the bench?
A bit hard to get kicks from there.
Perhaps if you're watching on tv this may be missed.
Anyway, I'm a fan. Just give him more time, only 30 odd games so far.